Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Night Live on Newstalk is Kaput.

Options
  • 01-12-2008 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Just saw on another forum that its gone. It was rubbish IMO, a poorly presented panel discussion show which went out between 10 and midnight with a selection of guests that didnt encourage the casual listener.

Of course its demise also indicates a reigning in of more expensive formats, so whats next I wonder? I guess the sunday morning slot is safe as listenership would be quite healthy for that "Sunday paper reading" slot.

I can see stuff like Talking History and Culture Shock going though.

Mike

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I'd reckoned that Tom Dunne would've been better suited to a show at that time. Fully agree with Op that the show didn't exactly shine. No sad demise but what've they planned for that slot now? I'm usually over at the beeb by then but would welcome some Irish competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

There back to the 'best of Newstalk' at 10 i think, how did they get a national licence and not have a live show after 10'0 clock. They've gone downhill fast lately.

I've been very impressed with NPR when Newstalk switched over live during the US elections. I listen to the radio through the ol' wireless so don't have digital option. I'd welcome it if newstalk switched over from 10 til...eh...Off the Ball came on!
    Would it be expensive to do that though. NPR from 10 til 6a.m ish.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭rferguson

humberklog wrote: »
    I'd reckoned that Tom Dunne would've been better suited to a show at that time. Fully agree with Op that the show didn't exactly shine. No sad demise but what've they planned for that slot now? I'm usually over at the beeb by then but would welcome some Irish competition.

I agree. I think the morning slot 9 -12 is the weakest of the day. Tom would be better at the 10pm slot. he annoys me first thing in the morning:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Not surprising, maybe the JNLR figures reflected that.

One wonders how long more can credit-crunch-hit Denis O' Brien continue to fund what is essentially a monetary black hole and especially now that he is running two national stations.

BTW in 2009 there could be some station closures/mergers as the advertising revenue continues to decrease. RTE have already cut their rates by 25%...but that's another thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭robo

As annoying as Orla and Declan could sometimes be, they had good shows and good topical guests. They dealt with current affairs reasonably well - with people on the show who had topics to deal with and an audience willing to listen.
    But when you have it on at 10pm with Declan, well what politician, business person etc would want to be out at that hour. Yes it may be in their interets, but during the morning is the best time.

If they had Tom on in the evening, after Off The Ball, to discuss everything and anything - then that would be better. quirky guests and issues that are interesting rather than pressing would be good.

I see from the Newstalk website that Declan Carty is no longer a presenter.

I just think that they got this one all wrong and need to move Tom from the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Must admit I like Newstalk early on Sunday morning.

Whatever you say about Brendan O'Brien at least you have some live news as opposed to the rather dreary output from RTE up to 1100.

There is definitely a market for a discussion show around 2200 weekdays.

Vincent Browne proved that when he was on radio.

Yep Tom Dunne is on again at 10 pm.

Badabing wrote: »
    Yep Tom Dunne is on again at 10 pm.
    Yeh a repeat of the morning show :rolleyes:

robo wrote: »

Oh is he not on again at 10pm my bad;) Im afraid even with heavy editing you cant improve his bland show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

Good riddence, Newstalk has gone seriously downhill, the right hook is barely listenable at the moment, even the wide angle which used to be very good has started to beat the "blame the public sector" drum a bit too much.

Please let Claire Byrne be next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Shame, they most be in trouble. Moncief, Hook and off the ball a pretty good. I have to admit I love talking history. It would be a shame if they cancel it. But Dinny O'Brien most be feeling the pain of the slow down. His shares in independant media and aer lingus are in the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭GSF

Sounds like there will be quite a few more redundancies to come in radio over the next few months. The weak stations that have just been hanging on will be the first to come under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

robo wrote: »

NOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo !

I was a fairly regular listener to Late Night Live,granted it didn't set the world on fire but was better than nothing or John Creedon ..

Back to Radio 5 I suppose

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm kinda sad to hear this. It wasn't a great show but it was better than nothing. I used love Vincent Browne on Radio 1 and Late Night Live filled that gap somewhat.

Irish talk radio is so f**king brutal. Matt Cooper is the only show I can sit through anymore without cringing. I've no problem with quirky, funny stuff but christ, Newstalk needs to find a balance. 5live does a really good job of this especially Simon Mayo. Hell, even Richard Bacon can handle some heavy stuff.

They've had trouble with 10-12 slot going back to when they were a local dublin station i remember they had a show with Breffni Clack that lasted only a few months.

NOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo !

I was a fairly regular listener to Late Night Live,granted it didn't set the world on fire but was better than nothing or John Creedon ..

Back to Radio 5 I suppose
    That is what Irish radio does to us - sends us to other stations for variety, like the government send us up the north to save our cash :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

It lasted longer than expected. Adrian Kennedy might not be a bad option. Something tabliodish. I remember Capital in London used to do a show called Late night Confessions with Jeremy Kyle. Maybe they could do something similar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

:eek:

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Declan Carthy was the equivalent of a bad dose of Bovril.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Badabing wrote: »
    They've had trouble with 10-12 slot going back to when they were a local dublin station i remember they had a show with Breffni Clack that lasted only a few months.

Please tell me no one by the name of Breffni Clack ever presented a radio show any any station anywhere in this Universe!!

Breffni Clack:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

She used to present a show on Today FM as well. Think it was called Late Night Love or something.

Back on topic - it's not looking good if Newstalk's axing shows like Late Night Live and Splanc (the Irish thing that I'd imagine nobody ever listened to). I wonder how much did they cost to produce? Repeats should only be allowed in the small hours of the morning, not at 10:00 at night ffs.

It's the thin edge of the wedge - I can see them going for Talking History next :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I wouldn't go down the route of an Adrian Kennedy type show tbh, and I detest the way in which Newstalk find it acceptable to play repeats for nearly as long as the station is live on air.

What about sticking in documentaries? I remember RTE used to have weeks were they'd play a selection of half hour documentaries which were fairly decent.

Media students would throw something together for a recession busting price if worst came to worst ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Bum Boy

Where is Breffni these days?

It's a disgrace that they can get away with automation at 10pm weeknights. Weekend morning are pretty late to go live also. It's a shame.

bbability wrote: »
    Late night Confessions with Jeremy Kyle. Maybe they could do something similar?

I'm weak...my legs have given way.
    I'm dizzy...is that blood from my eyes or nose?
    I'm falling, gasping against the railings like Rashers Tierney.

Jeremy kyle is the modern protestant version of Fr Michael Cleary.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭stepinnman

Firetrap wrote: »

Back on topic - it's not looking good if Newstalk's axing shows like Late Night Live and Splanc (the Irish thing that I'd imagine nobody ever listened to).

I think I may have been one of the few people that did listen to it! Not religiously in fairness but if I was in the car and it was on I'd leave it. My Irish isn't great but the banter was usually fairly liberally sprinkled with a few words of Bearla, especially during the chats with the guests. If nothing else the show seemed to be a pretty genuine attempt to fulfill the Irish language remit on a national station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭GSF

humberklog wrote: »
    Jeremy kyle is the modern protestant version of Fr Michael Cleary.
    More like the Spanish inquisition actually.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Cut their national license, make them a Cork regional station or somethin.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

What kind of numbers was Late night Live pulling in...?surly there is a market for a national night time talk based program..?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I would have thought so. Surely intelligent people, which Adrian Kennedy doesn't cater for, listen to the radio at night time too?

Advertisement