Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

In fairness to NewsTalk Talking History is one of the best shows on Radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Dub13 wrote: »
    In fairness to NewsTalk Talking History is one of the best shows on Radio.

I (used to listen) to talking history all the time but gave up due to 'Opinion' based facts, and to be honest I cant remember if I got 'wound-up' or not, but what really got me going was that talk show on a Sunday evening with Ulick O'Connor, it was just so predictable, with him & the host slagging off our neighbours across the water at every given opportunity & praising a well known local terrorist group (recently gone out of business), in the end it got so poisoned & embarrassing that I just turned the dammed thing off for good.

I think the show was pulled anyway, due to complaints!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Arrg! Anyone listen to the Breakfast Show this morning?

Our 40w hosts were going big on the price of gas and the regulators role, as Bord Gas intend to put in for a price rise. Between 8 am and the discussion at 8.45 with said regulator they read out txts the contents of which would make you fear if the listenership ever staged a coup.

Not that Clair and Ger were helping to spead any enlightenment as they strangly forgot to put forwards the argument that as a barrel of oil is now 35% higher than a year ago that might be reason for the price hike.

Nope instead they encouraged idiots with fast thumbs to give the nation thier thoughts. The interview with the regulator was 3 mins of wasted airtime, as he pointed out the bleeding obvious.

Mike.

And this new thing of shows been done in shop windows...?thats crazy.

Sure Ryan Tubriddy ws been hanging out in various locations for a few years including a dept store window on Patrick Street in Cork.

Mike.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Sure Ryan Tubriddy ws been hanging out in various locations for a few years including a dept store window on Patrick Street in Cork.

Its a strange one I cant get my head around it,the radio station must get a good fee.

Its the whole meet the people "schick", the publicity must be worth paying for alright.

Mike

It may be time for NewsTalk to get one of those proper Outside Broadcast units if the local Dublin radio stations can afford them surely a nation station could.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭simonw

Newstalk is the only station i really listen to, but the only programme that makes it worth tuning in for is OTB. I like moncrief and talking history, but besides that i only leave it on because i don't like any of the music stations. Nothing has come close to the mystery train but i'm sure theres another thread about that!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Must admit avoiding the breakfast show in the past while has been a complete breath of fresh air.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭jack24

Turn off the Breakfast show myself mostly, had the misfortune to catch some this morning though, still of the same high calibre, 'Text us at a cost of 30c and tell us where you are watching the Champions league match tonight', Jesus wept!!! Also heard what appeared to be a paid infomercial for Google. Maybe they should ditch the 'news' element entirely and devote the whole show to commercials, though they went along those lines with that guy who used to do the business section who has been relegated to the backroom, Tom Lyons, 'Tell us why your product/company etc is so brilliant'...........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

jack24 wrote: »
    Turn off the Breakfast show myself mostly, had the misfortune to catch some this morning though, still of the same high calibre, 'Text us at a cost of 30c and tell us where you are watching the Champions league match tonight', Jesus wept!!! Also heard what appeared to be a paid infomercial for Google. ....

Agree +1

It's gone very bad,I was listening to it out of habit really.
    Switched over to 'Morning Ireland' recently,sounded 100 times more professional.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭d15ude

Brenda, Orla, Claire McKeowan - pure tabloid crap.

The news readers are hilariously bad, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

Well at least newstalk traffic reporters can usually say "roundabout".

I think a prerequisite for that job on Today FM is to pronounce it rindabite.

...I do smile when I hear Nathan Murray (Murphy?) say his name though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

d15ude wrote: »
    Brenda, Orla, Claire McKeowan - pure tabloid crap.

The news readers are hilariously bad, too.

There's one news reader Susan, Susanne, Sinead...something like that. They should give her day off as she's had a horrid sore throat for the past year. It must be all the shouting she does down the mic, seeing as I have to turn down the volume whenever she comes on as she's disproportionately loud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭FullHD

Im not sure if this has been mentioned before, as this
    post has become so long.
    One of my main problems with Newstalk is the 1/2 hourly news and the placement of ads.

i think that they could solve my issues very easily.
    1. Only have the news on the hour, as it usually hasnt changed in 30mins, my problem is the way that they interrupt someone in mid conversation to go to the news.
    2. Similarly with ads, the amount of them is ok but again they interrupt a conversation to go to ads.

In fact it happened last week on Joe Duffy, Jenny was sitting in and started talking to a listener, 30secondslater had to do to ads and never went back to the original listener.
    its beginning to P me off

garry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

garrycs69 wrote: »
    Only have the news on the hour,

They used to have the "20/20" news 3 times an hour at 20 past, 20 to and on the hour - that was a while ago and the idea got dropped thank God

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭jawlie

I have tuend in thre times this week to the Orla Barry show, which I used to enjoy. First time it was an article about celebrities - I can't remember what it was but i turned over to something else. Second time i turned in I got her going to the guy she refers to as her "hollywood" correspondent. I listened for a few minutes but it was all about the private lives of actors, so i turned over to somethinr else. This morning I turned in again and it was all about some wedding in italy and there she was gushing abouit it all again, over €80 000 per day being spend on a yacht and that OK! magazine was covering it......

He show seems to have become obsessed with celebrities and has become tabloid-ised. I used to listen to it but listen now less and less due to the celebrity obsession and trivialisiation of this show.

Additionally, I used to love Sean Moncrieff's show, but it has become so overrun by advertising breaks, and the length of these breaks seems to have increades so much, that it seems there are more ads than show these days, and I find I listed less and less to him also.

Newstalk used to be great, but ever since some bright spark thought they ought to have an irritating gimmick to tell me "and now you're up to date with newstalk 106" at the end of every news, its gone downhill. Which is sad.

Bugger! Eamon Keanes back.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Chiron

mike65 wrote: »
    Bugger! Eamon Keanes back.

I know what you mean! John Keogh was like a breath of fresh air last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

My thoughts exactly Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭dublinmadyoke

Is it just me or is Newstalk sounding more and more like a very badly ran community station? The production has to be the worst on Irish radio?

Anyone else agree with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

Is it just me or is Newstalk sounding more and more like a very badly ran community station? The production has to be the worst on Irish radio?

Anyone else agree with me?

Yes!

You can be sure that during one of the news bits you could lose count of the number of times you will hear one of the people who read out the news go "eeeehhhhhhh" or "uuuuhhhhhhh" it is just appalling.

Pronouncing names badly wrong and just coming across as very unprofessional seems to be the Spewtalk.... eeeehhh... Newtalks, I mean Newstalk 103... uhhh... 106 way :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Does Orla Barry ever stop talking ?

Have you noticed how Orla Barry takes about twenty words to say or convey something that could be said in just five words, God that woman could talk the hind legs off a donkey & still keep talking . . . :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭wittymoniker

can we start a campaign to bring back David Mc Williams and Damien Kiberd? maybe put Orla and Declan back together again... good times.

pony or phoney anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I'll be honest, I haven't read all 211 posts in this thread, just the first and last pages. But am I the only one who likes Newstalk?

Coming to work between half 5:30am and 6:00am I get the best bits of the previous day - usually some George Hook stuff.

Coming to work at 2pm I get the end of Eamonn Keane, which isn't the best but at least it's not shit chart music.

Finishing at 2pm I get Moncrief, which is quirky and fun and I find him quite a good presenter, specially compared to the drivel on the other stations around that time.

Coming to work at 10pm I get 'Off The Ball', which is by far the best sports show on any radio station IMO.

Leaving at 10pm Late Night Live is pretty good for general discussion.

If I'm listening to the radio during the evening I flick between Matt Cooper and George Hook. I always thought I'd hate George Hook on the radio but I don't think he's too bad.

Overall I'd say it's my favourite station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Moncrieff is the equivalent of a midweek action movie on RTE, it passes the time and allows your brain to switch off for a few hours. I like the Right Hook but find both their breakfast show and Your Call (and the presenters of these shows) insufferable and pretentious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Their weekend sports show is a joke no live commentary for the whole summer and no reporters at the GAA matches, poor editing aswell the show is all over the place. Its a poor mans Rte.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

GDM wrote: »
    Moncrieff is the equivalent of a midweek action movie on RTE, it passes the time and allows your brain to switch off for a few hours. I like the Right Hook but find both their breakfast show and Your Call (and the presenters of these shows) insufferable and pretentious.

I don't ever listen to their breakfast show or Your Call so I can't really comment. But there have been a fair few bad points said about them here so everybody can't be wrong.

• Advertisement

Badabing wrote: »
    Their weekend sports show is a joke no live commentary for the whole summer and no reporters at the GAA matches, poor editing aswell the show is all over the place. Its a poor mans Rte.

Have to agree 3 hours of Jerry O'Sullivan on Saturday and Sunday rabbiting on 20 to the dozen would do your head in, they have no rights to anything after the Prem footie ends as far as I can tell which is a bit of a flaw.

Mike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement