Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Here is TP in the flesh (no not naked :rolleyes:) on the vinny brown show during the election, viewer discretion is advised:p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8kb_jJOh8Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Still no sign of Kiberd, I'm beginning to suspect that he won't be coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Rubik. wrote: »
    Still no sign of Kiberd, I'm beginning to suspect he won't coming back.

The Lunchtime Show is fast becoming the Bermuda Triangle of Irish radio. First, Eamon Keane disappears without a trace and now the same thing has happened to Kiberd. If I was Jonathan Healy I'd be very afraid :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If i hear one more repeat of HenryMcKean and Jedward im going to scream:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭touts

coonecb1 wrote: »
    They interviewed Terry Prone (never heard her before, but she was very intelligent / interesting)

Jesus where have you been for the last 30 years. She has to be the most used gun for hire spin doctor on the Irish political scene. She made her name working for Haughey and most recently worked for Fine Gael in the election.

What's fun is to listen to her and then listen to Anton Savage. I know they are mother/son but it's scary how they use the same phrases, voice modulation etc. It'll be fun if Anton ever gets to interview her when he is presenting the Last Word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Its so clear that Chris is being marginalised as Share Coleman domintates the non tabloid segments of the breakfast show. He questioned FG and SF members of the political panel this morning on the finer points of public health policy for a good 20-25 mins between 9 and 10 today, challenging their positions and showing a very good grasp of the issues.

Chris made zero contribution for the whole half hour - I actually thought Coleman was doing the show solo for the day. Then an ad break (Chris the showman: "comming up aftre the break ..........stay tuned folks") and he asks each member of the panel what they think of the phone hacking story- to which each of them reply "thats terrible" and thats it, end of discussion.

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Its so clear that Chris is being marginalised as Share Coleman domintates the non tabloid segments of the breakfast show. He questioned FG and SF members of the political panel this morning on the finer points of public health policy for a good 20-25 mins between 9 and 10 today, challenging their positions and showing a very good grasp of the issues.

Chris made zero contribution for the whole half hour - I actually thought Coleman was doing the show solo for the day. Then an ad break (Chris the showman: "comming up aftre the break ..........stay tuned folks") and he asks each member of the panel what they think of the phone hacking story- to which each of them reply "thats terrible" and thats it, end of discussion.

Ivan needs to come back asap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Agreed - but teaming up with who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

The most likely thing to happen is for Shane Coleman to join Jonathan Healy at lunchtime. So I'm guessing it will be Ivan and Chris again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I think thats whats stopping him. :o

• Advertisement

Im actually finding it hard to listen to the breakfast show now because none of the presenters seem to be able to pronounce "th",its a small thing but its doing my head in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

One thing that annoys me about most of the younger male presenters on Newstalk, except for Jonathan Healy, is that they all speak WAY too fast. It is almost like there is some kind of a notion that if you speak really quickly in a slightly smarmy monotonous accent, that it somehow sounds more intelligent.

It just makes me switch over to RTE Radio 1... although they can be the other extreme and everything on Morning Ireland sounds rather scripted and unnaturally flowing.

I think it's perhaps lack of the production / direction resources at newstalk rather than the presenters. Someone needs to go in and actually coach people on presentation right across the board.

I get the impression that's not really happening at RTE anymore either since the training school and all of those facilities were ditched.

In fact, I'm not entirely sure what RTE does with all the license fee money they seem to have scrapped everything, yet they still have vast numbers of employees...

The mind boggles!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

why do newstalk insist on being loyal to presenters they axed during the day by giving them night slots or weekend slot. Im thinking of Orla Barry, fionn davenport and henry mckeen

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

Anyone hear George Hook today. Don't often listen to him but i wanted to hear his views on the NOTW hacking story as he used by News Corp to advertise their Sky boxes. Thought he was pathetic. George was laughing away saying he would love to have his voice messages and e-mails hacked. He dismissed it as being totallly irrelevant. He had two guests with him, one a lady who had previously worked for the NOTW, who both tacitly endorsed Hook. If this is the standard of journalistic integrity that we can expect in Ireland then I will be forced to tune out. Very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

ghiertal wrote: »
    Anyone hear George Hook today. Don't often listen to him but i wanted to hear his views on the NOTW hacking story as he used by News Corp to advertise their Sky boxes. Thought he was pathetic. George was laughing away saying he would love to have his voice messages and e-mails hacked. He dismissed it as being totallly irrelevant. He had two guests with him, one a lady who had previously worked for the NOTW, who both tacitly endorsed Hook. If this is the standard of journalistic integrity that we can expect in Ireland then I will be forced to tune out. Very disappointing.

But understandable when you realise that G Hook is mere a hired gun that needs to eat just like the rest of us. Don't expect the mouths of private radio to be too critical of their employers. George is great when the issues don't involve the masters. In this instance he is running scared.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Im actually finding it hard to listen to the breakfast show now because none of the presenters seem to be able to pronounce "th",its a small thing but its doing my head in
    You man 'th' as in 'nooth'? ;)

Personally I can't bear the by now established Americanised trend in the Irish broadcast media to pronounce news as 'nooz'. Unbearably affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

fook sake, just listening to the start of global village after the football.

dil loses an argument with brenda power on tv3 during the week so now has experts in to back up her side of that argument. it's a wonder she didn't call her a racist.

surely brenda power deserves a right of reply now dil?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

jesus lads run, and i mean ****ing RUN, from the dunphy show today.

ger colleran is on covering for eamo and he's engaging in the most pompus self righteous tripe in regards to the news of the world story.

i literally CANT listen to it.

what in the name of god is newstalk thinking of putting him on today of ALL days. he's the editor of the star FFS !

im actually listening to claire byrne covering for marrion its so bad , and im having to put up with lucinda fecking creighton there !

complete ego driven supercillious vomit fest.

at least eamo can feign impartiality, colleran is one step away from declaring himself the one true voice of the "ordinary people of ireland"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

ger colleran is on covering for eamo and he's engaging in the most pompus self righteous tripe in regards to the news of the world story.

what in the name of god is newstalk thinking of putting him on today of ALL days. he's the editor of the star FFS !

im actually listening to claire byrne covering for marrion its so bad , and im having to put up with lucinda fecking creighton there !

at least eamo can feign impartiality, colleran is one step away from declaring himself the one true voice of the "ordinary people of ireland"

Yeah I thought it a bit odd to say the least to have him on of all days.I thought there was going to be a fist fight between himself and Prof/senator John Crown.I was in agreement with Prof Crown about the nonsense stories that can be in the tabloid/red tops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

I didn't hear it today but I cannot understand how they could have put Colleran on this weekend. Or any weekend for that matter. The sanctimoneous, holier-than-thou attitude he takes - he edits a red-top rag which ran a story about a woman who died after having sex with a dog. Yet he tries to sound like he is of a higher morality than anyone else. Infuriating!

• Advertisement

fook sake, just listening to the start of global village after the football.

dil loses an argument with brenda power on tv3 during the week so now has experts in to back up her side of that argument. it's a wonder she didn't call her a racist.

surely brenda power deserves a right of reply now dil?!!

I'd love to know what the listenership figures are like for this show. I also had the misfortune to find myself listening to Global Village one night and it seemed like a 2 hour rant about how racist the Irish are. A text was read out by somebody who got in contact to complain about the programme and he was immediately branded as a crank.
    I tuned in the following week just to see if that previous week's edition was a one-off but it was the same old shyte all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Had to switch away myself. Colleran was obnoxiously aggressive. A total turnoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Yeah. He was a disgrace. Hopefully NT send him packing after that performance.
    He kept dismissing anyone critical of his rag as elitist!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Newstalk is losing the plot at the moment, on practically every show. It doesn't bode well for the next 6 weeks which are silly season anyway.

Global village is terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Newstalk is losing the plot at the moment, on practically every show.

Tome Dunne just said "If you smoke things, it's time to get them out!" on his show just before playing Cortez the Killer by Neil Young.

Silly season indeed :D

Hook has no credibility. He's an out and out Fine Gaeler. How can anybody take him seriously when he's nailed his colours so firmly to the mast? It gets even worse when that @rsehole Michael Graham joins him. He's the archetypal right-wing conservative reactionary, straight out of central casting. Why the hell anybody at Newstalk thinks it's a good idea to give that twat Graham some airtime is completely beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Hook has no credibility. He's an out and out Fine Gaeler. How can anybody take him seriously when he's nailed his colours so firmly to the mast? It gets even worse when that @rsehole Michael Graham joins him. He's the archetypal right-wing conservative reactionary, straight out of central casting. Why the hell anybody at Newstalk thinks it's a good idea to give that twat Graham some airtime is completely beyond me.

I can only imagine what that "debate" between Hook,Graham and Lucenda Creighton in Trim a few weeks ago.was like.A lot of "I couldn't agree more" I'd imagine.

Hook is really something,I've never cone across anyone who has such strongly held,trenchant views about issues which he clearly knows nothing about.He seems to think of himself as a sort of voice of the people,lately there is a lot of "we,as a nation are..." from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Presumably because the owner is a dyed-in-the-wool Bluey, and they tend to like that right-wing American clap-trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I know its been said before, but Chris Donoghue's over pronunciation of the letter "T" is really starting to grate on me.

Also, am i wrong to want my news and current from someone who sounds like he's lived a few years on this planet and has seen a few things?

They had Fionn Davenport on this morning on a piece about "defining Ireland", unbearably smug sounding....

Rant over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

t'was fun to hear him mangling the world "synthetic" this morning .

:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement