Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wouldn't trust Norris judgement to be honest, he was foolish to rattle on about "classical paedophilia" in the first instance and probably though he'd said nothing controversial when asked later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

mike65 wrote: »
    I cannot take Waters remotely seriously when he goes "off on one" which has was doing there. Dunphy is no help as he simply bends in the breeze of opinion from his friends.

Do you accept that there may have been an element of truth in what he said?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Wester

padd b1975 wrote: »
    It was interesting to get Water's angle on the Norris saga in the context of him being editor of Magill at the time the interview.

Just a small correction, Waters was consultant editor at the time, it was interesting to get his perspective certainly, but he was not the Magill editor and his article does say that extracts from the interview with Norris were read to him over the phone and he cannot recall them verbatim.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Wester wrote: »
    Just a small correction, Waters was consultant editor at the time, it was interesting to get his perspective certainly, but he was not the Magill editor and his article does say that extracts from the interview with Norris were read to him over the phone and he cannot recall them verbatim.
    Point taken re position of editor. I was not talking about what Waters may or may not have written in an article, I was referring to his spoken contribution to The Dunphy Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Wester

Point taken re position of editor. I was not talking about what Waters may or may not have written in an article, I was referring to his spoken contribution to The Dunphy Show.

I appreciate that; I just think it's important to point out that as he wasn't editor, he didn't have the same level of involvement in producing Magill at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Dunphy and John Waters are tearing David Norris to shreds at the moment. Paper of record getting it too in fairness to Waters.

I was leaning toward voting for David Norris before I heard this interview,Norris needs to address this full on asap.But I think the ship has sailed on him been president.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Waters claims that liberal media have whitewashed the issue wasn't helped by this one-sided dicussion. I suspect some of the panel would have expressed differing opinions if they weren't afriad of being shouted down by Dunphy and Waters.

Until such time as the tapes are produced, it's all a bit 'academic'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Rubik. wrote: »
    Waters claims that liberal media have whitewashed the issue wasn't helped by this one-sided dicussion. I suspect some of the panel would have expressed differing opinions if they weren't afriad of being shouted down by Dunphy and Waters.

It's far more than academic,

It has ruined Norris's chances of getting nominated, never mind winning the Election.

SkidMark wrote: »
    It's far more than academic,

It has ruined Norris's chances of getting nominated, never mind winning the Election.

Sindo poll today - Which of the following candidates would you support for President?

Norris - 39%
    Cox - 20%
    D. Higgins - 12%
    Davis - 7%
    Finaly - 7%
    Gallagher - 6%
    McGuinness - 6%
    O'Meara - 2%

As with a lot of media storms, the general public aren't nearly as interested in the story as the media themselves are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Get Real!
    If anyone goes on a radio discussion show and has not the moral courage to defend their beliefs regardless of who may not agree then shame on them. Can you honestly say that newstalk would prefer a one way traffic discussion or a blood and thunder debate on an emotive issue. Where was Norris or his supporters? ? I am sure they were asked for a spokesman.
    I agree re the tapes .

• Advertisement

Get Real!
    If anyone goes on a radio discussion show and has not the moral courage to defend their beliefs regardless of who may not agree then shame on them. Can you honestly say that newstalk would prefer a one way traffic discussion or a blood and thunder debate on an emotive issue. Where was Norris or his supporters? ? I am sure they were asked for a spokesman.
    I agree re the tapes .

In every Dunphy Show I have heard there has been a cosy concensus amoung all involved, they don't seem to go out of there way to get guests with contrary views to the host.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Sindo poll today - Which of the following candidates would you support for President?

Norris - 39%
    Cox - 20%
    D. Higgins - 12%
    Davis - 7%
    Finaly - 7%
    Gallagher - 6%
    McGuinness - 6%
    O'Meara - 2%

As with a lot of media storms, the general public aren't nearly as interested in the story as the media themselves are.

Sunday independent polls aren't worth the paper they are written on.

Serious dodgy methodology.

Paddy Power has Pat Cox as favourite, even before he has the Fine Gael nomination. Norris has been seriously damaged by this controversy.

I'm no fan of The Sindo, but they would use similiar methodology to the RED C. The RED C uses a sample 0f 1001 random phone calls, The Sindo 500. How acurate they are I don't know, but it does give some kind of indication of the public mood. Until more polls come out, its all we have to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Newstalk takin' a shneaky bank holiday on the Moncrief show by playing a repeat. Wasn't listening at the start, so didn't hear them say whether it was a repeat or not, but they haven't said it during the show's playback.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,137 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I'm no fan of The Sindo, but they would use similiar methodology to the RED C. The RED C uses a sample 0f 1001 random phone calls, The Sindo 500. How acurate they are I don't know, but it does give some kind of indication of the public mood. Until more polls come out, its all we have to go on.

With only 500 participants, the margin of error is about + or - 5%. so it can't really be trusted at all.

OK, but couldn't that be said of all election polls that appear in the newpapers, would a sample size of 1001 radicallly reduce the margin of error?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

There was a wan reading the news yesterday evening (Tues) during Hookys show and she was talking about the story about the fella who got shot in the caravan park, and she got a slip of the tongue when she said" shot in the boty" instead of body .I could tell from her tone of voice that she was trying to keep in the laugh but obviously couldnt laugh.Around the 1.50 mark.

Part 2
    http://media.newstalk.ie/listenback/221/tuesday/1/popup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Couple of Q's about Newstalk.

1) Is Mark Coleman stifling sneezes on air or is it Tourettes?

2) Anyone else experience a dramatic shift from really liking Moncrief to being really irritated by him? Thought Davenport really owned the show during his recent stint (That may be heresy to Seans acolytes)

3) Henry McKean, why?

Couple of Q's about Newstalk.

1) Is Mark Coleman stifling sneezes on air or is it Tourettes?

He said myself a couple of weeks ago that it was down to Brochitiis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Who in the name of God is standing in for Tom Dunne???

Aoibheann someone, or other never heard her surname.

God she is awful. Is Tom Dunne trying to make sure that he only picks bad presenters so it'll make him seem better when he comes back?

Christ, Sile Seoige or even that Barry wan are better. Time to turn the dial methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

God she is awful. Is Tom Dunne trying to make sure that he only picks bad presenters so it'll make him seem better when he comes back?

Christ, Sile Seoige or even that Barry wan are better. Time to turn the dial methinks.

It's Aoibhinn Ní Shúilleabháin, former winner of the Lovely Girls Competition in Tralee and former partner of Ryan Tubbers. She seems to say "good stuff" quite a lot although I thought she did well when George Byrne was on. He was reviewing a new film called "Point Blank" and said this is not to be confused with the 1967 film Point Blank directed by John Boorman blah blah blah. Aoibhinn replied that she thought he was referring to that film :D. Good stuff!

I wouldn't be surprised if George Byrne had a giant folder at home with lists of all of his favourite things. Last week he reeled off to Tom Dunne each of his favourite soccer team from practically every country in Europe (yawn). Rangers was his favourite Scottish team (how unsurprisingly controversial :rolleyes:).

Today Aoibhinn asked him his favourite ever gig. He gave us about 10 of his favourite gigs before even pausing for breath. Aoibhinn said "I only asked you for one" :D. Good stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

I was pleasantly surprised with her to be honest. She was pretty good.

And I had my phasers all set for 'hate' too purely due to her relations with Tubridy. Ah well...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

telekon wrote: »
    And I had my phasers all set for 'hate' too purely due to her relations with Tubridy. Ah well...:(

That's a bit harsh man. She broke up with him didn't she?

I actually thought she was decent enough, although I only listened to snatches here and there, not the whole show.

I don't understand how she can be a teacher and do other work on the side as well, seems wrong somehow. Shouldn't she stick to the teaching and not be leaving the kids with subs all the time?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Her students are on holidays!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Her students are on holidays!

was just about to say that!! she's a maths and applied maths teacher isn't she?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

While we are on the topic of Tom Dunne, does anyone think hes just manipulated the show to suit him, every interview is with someone from a band or talking about his favourite music and blabbing on about songs no one cares about, its grand from time to time and was interesting at first but now its just annoying me....

jimmyw wrote: »
    There was a wan reading the news yesterday evening (Tues) during Hookys show and she was talking about the story about the fella who got shot in the caravan park, and she got a slip of the tongue when she said" shot in the boty" instead of body .I could tell from her tone of voice that she was trying to keep in the laugh but obviously couldnt laugh.Around the 1.50 mark.

Part 2
    http://media.newstalk.ie/listenback/221/tuesday/1/popup

She just about got away with that one. She was lucky that she had a clip to play, otherwise it would've got seriously embarrassing for her.
    I remember a few years ago when Dunphy used to do The Last Word, the newsreader started with the line : "The Penguin has been arrested in Amsterdam". She must've pictured this in her mind and found it hilariously funny because she couldn't stop laughing for the rest of the news report. I can't remember her ever reading the news again. :D

This clip is the best ever, in my opinion. He's talking about an upcoming interview with Jeremy Hunt, the Culture Secretary but it all goes horribly wrong: :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JpNravrwZc

Ní Shúilleabháin and Tubridy now share the same agent. There's a few more interesting faces in there...

http://www.nkmanagement.ie/portfolio

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Ní Shúilleabháin and Tubridy now share the same agent. There's a few more interesting faces in there...

http://www.nkmanagement.ie/portfolio

I can imagine the type of people that work at that 'talent' agency...a lot of "dah-lings" going on by ponytailed D4 heads with slicked back hair and ponytails with massive 80s style mobile phones. Bleurgh...

• Advertisement

telekon wrote: »
    I can imagine the type of people that work at that 'talent' agency...a lot of "dah-lings" going on by ponytailed D4 heads with slicked back hair and ponytails with massive 80s style mobile phones. Bleurgh...

I'm trying to imagine their staff Christmas party if all the "celebrities" on their books turn up to it. The Point Theatre wouldn't be big enough to hold all those over-inflated egos. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement