Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

el diablo wrote: »
    Why is a priest talking about clits? :confused:

I knew a Father Clint Power once, maybe he was having a go at him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Theres a Brian Lenihan special on now hosted by Marc Coleman.

Its bad.

Very bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

With the amount of spluttering tonight, I found myself with the reflex reaction of wiping my face at the end of each of Coleman's sentences..

That "tribute" was just bizarre.. included were soundbites of TV3 releasing the news early of his cancer... and his statement that "we all partied", which REALLY bugged the sh1t out of everybody, and got him a lot of personal criticism..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Anyone else getting bored of listening to Constantly Regurgitating, sorry Constantin Gurdgiev on the Dunphy Show? He must have his own seat in that studio by now. Apart from his "burn the bondholders" mantra, he doesn't seem to have much else to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yep, once again Dunphy had his mates round for a chat about the same old same old, he read out a few texts from peeps who are getting rather bored with it all.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Anyone else getting bored of listening to Constantly Regurgitating.

For a moment there I thought you were refering to Marc Coleman as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Anyone else getting bored of listening to Constantly Regurgitating, sorry Constantin Gurdgiev on the Dunphy Show? He must have his own seat in that studio by now. Apart from his "burn the bondholders" mantra, he doesn't seem to have much else to say.
    Like it!

Having said that, CR is someone I do pay attention to. The Euro-critical stage is a pretty crowded one these days, but he is coherent and articulate.

But there's always the risk of overplaying your hand and trying to outperform your rivals. IT and RTE excepted, there's almost an approaching consensus out there in the Irish media that the Euro is done for. The problem is the popular analysis that failed to pick up on our collapse broadly lacks the rigour to plot a likely way through the crisis towards a solution, preferring to focus on the proliferation of bad news. As far as CG is concerned, I frequently get the impression that he's a good bit smarter than the current crop of doom-sayers, hedging his bets on which way the Euro is going to fall. It'll be interesting to see how he comports himself if (when) the Eurozone starts to pull through.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Anyone else getting bored of listening to Constantly Regurgitating, sorry Constantin Gurdgiev on the Dunphy Show?

What's boring about listening to an intelligent and articulate contributor?

I'd be more worried about Dunphy's fawning over his guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Aidric wrote: »
    What's boring about listening to an intelligent and articulate contributor?

Nothing but he does seem to say the same thing over and over again. I agree with most of what he says but he seems to be becoming a permanent fixture on the Dunphy Show these days. I crave some variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mrkr

Anyone have an idea what's happened to Damien Kiberd? Been off air for weeks, no reference to it on Newstalk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

He could just be on holidays, but at about 12.30 today John Keogh said he was filling in for Jonathan Healy - not Damien Kiberd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Is Ivan Yates gone for good on the breakie show?I thought I heard Hooky baby mention while talking to Shane Coleman (who filled in for him) if he remembers him when he used to be on breakie:confused:

Yates has been under the knife for his back. Dunno if/when he'll be er back

Oh go away! ya mad feminist

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

down to business is being repeated now, from sunday morning to tuesday evening.

while i appreciate that off the ball has less to report on and everything runs an hour earlier in the evening now, they could at least EDIT a bit better. bobby kerr has just been talking about rory mcilroy and how he hopes he can win the open while they talk about the sunday papers. surely that can be edited out pretty easily.

i'd even put up with a late night phone in show for mongoloids over this at this rate. am just reaching for the dial!!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Caledonman

down to business is being repeated now, from sunday morning to tuesday evening.

while i appreciate that off the ball has less to report on and everything runs an hour earlier in the evening now, they could at least EDIT a bit better. bobby kerr has just been talking about rory mcilroy and how he hopes he can win the open while they talk about the sunday papers. surely that can be edited out pretty easily.

i'd even put up with a late night phone in show for mongoloids over this at this rate. am just reaching for the dial!!

Bobby Kerr is awful (IMO), badly prepared for guests, cant deviate from his planned questions, would appear to not be listening to his guests as quite often there is an obvious probing question to be asked. He is a poor communicator.
    Breakfast is lost without Ivan, no substance and smart ass sexist comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

They really seem to running on a skeleton staff at times, with the repeats etc. Chris was reading the business headlines this morning, while Shane Coleman is co presenter in the morning and gets interviewed as political editor. It's a pity, they have some great little shows on newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Iv completely stopped listening in the mornings now. I find chris extremely irritating and its not worth going into work in a foul mood because of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Anyone else find Ivan & Chris saying 'mingers' the whole time annoying?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

gotta admit, Breakie is going down hill and its nothing to do with Ivan being missing because the problem i has been there for about 2 years.

I find they constantly come out of the 8 o'clock news and talk about the IMF or the Economy. Rarely another news story and while those particular stories are topical there's other stuff happening too.

I wake up at 8 so kinda of half asleep listening while they're talking to Colm McCarthy or someone else who likes to make sure we don't forget the state we're in which basically means i'm waking up and straight into a bad mood. I decided i couldn't take it this morning so flick off.

It's obviously a production decision to discuss that at the time, but mix it up a little guys. Also put out a promo during off the ball to say you've made that change so i know its safe to tune in at that time again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

I find the 8-9 segement on the brekkie show is the same as the 7-8 segment. I also find that guy carl whos doing business this week a patronising and preachey little know it all

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Hoppermcgrath

I have stopped listening recently too. I have listened to the show over the past number of years and it has been a lighter alternative to Morning Ireland. They do now seem to talk about nothing other than the economy.

Ivan is a loss, as even though he is on the wind up most of the time he is a clever guy and is just entertaining to listen to. I quite like Shane Coleman and think he could be good with Yeats. Chris Donoghue and Ivan I could bear; but Chris and Shane together, oh me oh my, no, just no.

As a poster said above Chris as a presenter is starting to grate at me and he doesn't have Yeats there at the moment to balance it. Can't help but feel that Chris would be better suited to another role than presenter. I think he was very good for example when reporting from the States, but he is just that bit too irritating as main presenter.

God help me I have been forced to listening to Hector judging limericks about roosters for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

The Irish economy is a hugely significant story, and is even part of huge international story, so it deserves a lot of coverage. There are loads of light hearted alternatives on the radio, so a serious show on newstalk in the morning is needed as an alternative to morning ireland. People can listen to FM104, 98fm 2fm etc etc. if they don't want 'doom and gloom'.

I'd like to see David McWilliams back, but newstalk burned that bridge I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

Just want to say the Right Hook was absolutely fantastic yesterday. I tuned in from around 5.15 onwards. Michael Graham was with George for the day. They interviewed Terry Prone (never heard her before, but she was very intelligent / interesting) and John Waters. All in all good quality radio!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

The Irish economy is a hugely significant story, and is even part of huge international story, so it deserves a lot of coverage. There are loads of light hearted alternatives on the radio, so a serious show on newstalk in the morning is needed as an alternative to morning ireland. People can listen to FM104, 98fm 2fm etc etc. if they don't want 'doom and gloom'.

Couldn't agree more. We need a serious news and current affairs service that doesn't kowtow to the government.

I'd love to see McW back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

McDave wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. We need a serious news and current affairs service that doesn't kowtow to the government.

I'd love to see McW back.

Well, he did a few shows on Newstalk during the Election campaign so I'd say a comeback is possible.

I agree, I'd like to see him back in a regular slot, Hope it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

coonecb1 wrote: »
    Just want to say the Right Hook was absolutely fantastic yesterday. I tuned in from around 5.15 onwards. Michael Graham was with George for the day. They interviewed Terry Prone (never heard her before, but she was very intelligent / interesting) and John Waters. All in all good quality radio!
    Never heard Terry Prone!!
    Jesus friend! You must not listen to a lot of radio. She is never off the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

SkidMark wrote: »
    Well, he did a few shows on Newstalk during the Election campaign so I'd say a comeback is possible.

I agree, I'd like to see him back in a regular slot, Hope it happens.
    Don't think it will happen,
    This guy is earning far too much hustling his opinions to the highest bidder.
    A regular current affairs gig would only be compromised by his public views.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

while that is fact, and i agree it deserves a lot of coverage and debate and opinion, but there's also other things happening in the world that can be discussed without the show becoming similar to the light hearted alternatives. Its just an observation that they really do over talk it some times.

also in music radio, stations program there music so that the same song doesn't play at the same time each day, because it sounds repetitive. Same theory could apply to talk radio.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

coonecb1 wrote: »
    They interviewed Terry Prone (never heard her before)

Is this your first radio?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement