Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

jimmyw wrote: »

I had my head in my hands when I heard this. Then half an hour later, they played it again. Contempt and confusion are the words that come to mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dunphy still in France, is that the charmless Ger Colleran I hear?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

mike65 wrote: »
    Dunphy still in France, is that the charmless Ger Colleran I hear?

Was there last week at least, and given that "Boss" host Eamon is both an enemy of the Public Service (and their lllllloooooonnnnngggg holidays) and, yet intriguiglingly, a lover of the French, I'ld be surprised to hear him back before September.

So roll on more of the dungheap arogance of the establishment shill, g colleran.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Id love to know the actual number of times Eamonn has presented his own show this year, everytime I tune in it seems to be Colleran at the helm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Good to hear Ivan back on this morning, he definitely adds something extra to the show. I just wish they'd send Chris off on gardening duty.

i can tolerate Chris but i wish he eased up on having 'a bit of craic' with Ivan and stuck to the news...and also learned to stop pronouncing the Vatican, 'deh Vattttttican'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

Anyone hear 'Off The Ball' live from Na Piarsaigh GAA Club in Cork last night?
    Specifically the interview with Celtic, West Ham and Arsenal footballer John Hartson. I thought he was a super guest with very funny anecdotes, battle with cancer, kicking Eyal Berkovich in the head etc.
    During the interview, he seemed to libel Spurs manager, 'Arry Redknapp, to much laughter from the crowd. It was hard to tell if he was joking or not.
    Actually there was no 'seemed' about it, he certainly libelled him in the things he said about him.
    The funniest thing was McDevitt and Earley absolutely pooing their cacks trying to distance Newstalk from all Hartson's comments.
    Sorry I have no linkey. I'd be surprised if they left it up on the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Anyone hear 'Off The Ball' live from Na Piarsaigh GAA Club in Cork last night?
    Specifically the interview with Celtic, West Ham and Arsenal footballer John Hartson. I thought he was a super guest with very funny anecdotes, battle with cancer, kicking Eyal Berkovich in the head etc.
    During the interview, he seemed to libel Spurs manager, 'Arry Redknapp, to much laughter from the crowd. It was hard to tell if he was joking or not.
    Actually there was no 'seemed' about it, he certainly libelled him in the things he said about him.
    The funniest thing was McDevitt and Earley absolutely pooing their cacks trying to distance Newstalk from all Hartson's comments.
    Sorry I have no linkey. I'd be surprised if they left it up on the web.
    I heard that interview too. Thought it reeked of Harton's after dinner spiel.

The comments about Harry could prove expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I wonder if any regular Moncrieff listeners could tell me whether Sean Moncrieff has revealed the predictions that Keith Barry made a few months back? I remember he was on Moncrieff some time ago and wrote down some predictions which were sealed in an envelope and were to be opened in July. Does anyone know if they've been revealed yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

I wonder if any regular Moncrieff listeners could tell me whether Sean Moncrieff has revealed the predictions that Keith Barry made a few months back? I remember he was on Moncrieff some time ago and wrote down some predictions which were sealed in an envelope and were to be opened in July. Does anyone know if they've been revealed yet?

he said that bin laden would be caught, that there would be cracks in the coalition, and that sean would get a speeding ticket. still waiting for the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

bamboozle wrote: »
    i can tolerate Chris but i wish he eased up on having 'a bit of craic' with Ivan and stuck to the news...and also learned to stop pronouncing the Vatican, 'deh Vattttttican'

I disagree, thats what makes the show better than others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JP Brennan

Colleran is driving me daft, it's almost impossible to tell the difference between a panelist trying to put forward a view very forcefully and the chairperson shouting at panelists trying to get a sensationalist quote.

The general style of the show now seems to be like this clip "The last word. Ger Colleran v Gerald kean on his drink driving ban "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0TwKjmACyY

except the guests are generally quite polite and calm.

It was funny for the first 2 weeks but now it's just cringe worthy and disappointing. When will Dunphy be back?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

today boys and girls the newstalk breakfast show is brought to you by the fine gael labour government.

if you have opinions differing from them kindly **** off as youve no place here.

sweet jesus i havent heard such gov arselicking on the airwaves since lisbon !

the "debate" this morning on the residential property charge was between brian hayes -who wanted you to pay 100 euro a year - and some bloke from the ERSI - who wants you to pay 1000 !

man that balance eh ?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭popzmaster

Dunno if this has been brought up yet (basically cos i just found this thread and I'm not trawling through 213 pages) but my god does that green room not wreck anybody else's head? I usually find myself changing the station even tho every other radio station annoys the crap outta me. When I hear Orla Barry's voice I know I'm in a lose/lose situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Well, if Orla Barry wasn't a head wrecker she won't have been moved from a weekday show, to a Saturday morning show and then to a one night a week show.

Although in her defence, she is no worse than Sile Seoige, or Tom Dunne for that matter.

thats true enough, cant listen to them either.

i gave the green room a chance but it just doesnt grip me.

TBH im starting to wonder is there anyone in the country capable of doing a decent show on radio ?

i dont know if its a genuine lack of tallent, or the closed shop nature of the business but more and more im finding myself turning to amateur podcasts as i cant even hack it as backround noise anymore.

this isnt just directed at newstalk by the way, the whole fecking lot of them have taken a quality dive in recent years.

actually managed to listen to coleman tonight.

apparently he's quadrupled the listnership for his slot going from 5k listeners of the previous show to 20k on his.

bit of an insight to the station too.

two of his collegues , john o donovan and simon gallagher , were just let go and this was their last show as employees . from some of the stuff said things are up in the air medium term at the station.

kinda sad to see people lose their job but in this enviroment im amazed its not happeing at RTE so loss making newstalk is a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I don't think they have turned a profit since their formation in 2002. You'd wonder how much longer Denis O'Brien is willing to bankroll a loss making entity. I for one would be very sorry if they folded, Newstalk is pretty much the only radio I listen to these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Newstalk is pretty much the only radio I listen to these days.

+1 the majority of the shows are top quality. It would leave a gaping hole in my radio if it closed

he'll keep it going so long as it suits his agenda.

look at INM , they carried loss making newspapers like the indo (english one) and the tribune cause they either got copy off em for free helping their other titles, or kept competitors out of the maket (the irish times)

dennis will do the same with newstalk as long as it helps him with his business needs.

course that doesnt mean he wont pare it back to the bones as a radio station.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Don't agree with some of the above comments about the quality, especially in recent years. It's dumbed down and lurched to the right so far that it's only filling a niche.

With regard to ongoing funding - hard to see how across his stations it makes sense to have 2 drivetime shows, 2 sunday morning business shows, 2 sunday morning panel shows. Rather than shutting, I'd say O'Brien will make the case to formally make today fm just music, and newstalk just talk, with things like The Last Word and Sam Smyth moving over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Rather than shutting, I'd say O'Brien will make the case to formally make today fm just music, and newstalk just talk, with things like The Last Word and Sam Smyth moving over.
    Sounds good. Moncrief followed by Matt Cooper would be a Radio 1 killer in my book (unless they replace Mary Wilson). Sam Smyth instead of Dunphy/Colleran would also be an improvement. And, while they're at it, send Tom Dunne back to Today FM, from which he should never have been moved, and pull D'Arcy into his slot.

So then, weekdays you'd have Breakfast, followed by D'Arcy, Lunchtime, Moncrief, Cooper and Off The Ball - sounds like a good line-up to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

serfboard wrote: »
    Sounds good. Moncrief followed by Matt Cooper would be a Radio 1 killer in my book (unless they replace Mary Wilson). Sam Smyth instead of Dunphy/Colleran would also be an improvement. And, while they're at it, send Tom Dunne back to Today FM, from which he should never have been moved, and pull D'Arcy into his slot.

So then, weekdays you'd have Breakfast, followed by D'Arcy, Lunchtime, Moncrief, Cooper and Off The Ball - sounds like a good line-up to me.

Nearly a good lineup. Anyone but D'arcy and it would be a real radio 1 killer. Keep D'Arcy out of that lineup and well away from Newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

Nearly a good lineup. Anyone but D'arcy and it would be a real radio 1 killer. Keep D'Arcy out of that lineup and well away from Newstalk.
    Yeah, D'Arcy seems to attract a fair amount of vitriol here. Wanna suggest someone else instead? Dempsey, Hector ...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Yeah, D'Arcy seems to attract a fair amount of vitriol here. Wanna suggest someone else instead? Dempsey, Hector ...?

I think newstalk should stick to the news and debate in the mornings.

I think Derek Davis would be a good choice to put it up to PK.

Definitely keep Moncrieff where is is, the best show on radio without a doubt.

derek davis amazed me a while back.

i didnt think he'd be capable of the harder hiting stuff but he was really good when he stood in for either dunphy or hook once .

considering coleman cant even talk properly its mad he hasnt got a gig.

thats a good line up alright though.

only difference i'd make is stick with BOTH dunphy and smyth.

put one on sat and one on the sunday. theres NOTHING on bloody saturday besides RTE who must be getting market share by default now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

...or Olivia O'Leary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Probably an unpopular opinion but I think Brendan O'Connor would be good in the mornings on Newstalk. He is a tough talker despite having become more wishy-washy on his RTE tv show. I imagine he would be a good all-rounder on all topics and has a strong personality to boot.

Just to vent: I can't believe how rubbish Eddie Hobbs is on the radio. He's good at advising people on their personal finances but he's absolute garbage as a stand-in for George Hook. It's obvious that he holds very right wing views but tries to mask this unlike Mark Coleman who makes no apologies. He just strikes me as smug and he seems to really fancy himself. He keeps putting on silly voices and fake-laughing, he's like an embarrassing drunken uncle at Christmas.

I really hope this is his last day at the helm, I would even rather listen to the supersub Davenport presenting The Right Hook. Hobbs is just unimaginably bad.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Just to vent: I can't believe how rubbish Eddie Hobbs is on the radio. He's good at advising people on their personal finances but he's absolute garbage as a stand-in for George Hook.

The best stand in was that professor cant think of his name but he was decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

I'd just love to punch Coleman in the face.
    It'd give me a satisfaction so great it would border on sexual pleasure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

You'd think Newstalk was some radical right wing propaganda machine to go by some of the comments on here. Haven't you people ever heard of Fox News? If you're ever in the US, look at Fox News to get an idea of what right wing is.

And if Newstalk is right wing, then what is left wing among the Irish media?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement