Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Her students are on holidays!

Thanks. I thought she was a primary teacher for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

At least Aoibihinn Ni Shjewfhtddhj is vaguely interesting to listen to. Miles better than that airhead Sile Seoige.

OffTheBall is great craic, hell knows how they think of so many little gags. But you have to be in to sports of course.

Lunchtime is another good show. Should be given an extra half-hour at the expense of Moncrief, which is decent but drags a bit.

Yeates is decent too, but really needs to cut back a bit on the tedious pervyness.

Hook is a bit boring when he isn't discussing current affairs.

Orla Barry has a really annoying laugh.

Mark Coleman is annoying with his relentless interruptions.

Only like Henry McKean when he's at a big event reporting (Eurovision, Royal Wedding, World Cup, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Did anyone hear the lecturer sticking up for David Norris on The Dunphy Show this morning? She said that Norris didn't say anything at all controversial. When confronted with the fact that Norris had said that for some victims of child abuse, the condemnation is worse than the actual experience itself, she replied that she hadn't heard that before. :rolleyes:

She then came up with the usual stuff about people being anti-Norris having a homophobic agenda. YAWN.

http://www.newstalk.ie/2011/programmes/all-programmes/the-dunphy-show/fergus-finlay-and-panel-on-norris-irish-presidency/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Did anyone hear the lecturer sticking up for David Norris on The Dunphy Show this morning? She said that Norris didn't say anything at all controversial. When confronted with the fact that Norris had said that for some victims of child abuse, the condemnation is worse than the actual experience itself, she replied that she hadn't heard that before. :rolleyes:

She then came up with the usual stuff about people being anti-Norris having a homophobic agenda. YAWN.

http://www.newstalk.ie/2011/programmes/all-programmes/the-dunphy-show/fergus-finlay-and-panel-on-norris-irish-presidency/
    Yep, I heard it. I thought she (Karen Divine?) put up a reasonable defence of Norris. She made some reasonable points about what Norris actually said in the context of broader points he was making. I don't think it's unreasonable to judge Norris's comments in light of his also wearing an academic hat. He is after all as much an academic as a senator. And I sincerely hope academics are not precluded from political office because their minds might be broader than a lawyer's, or because they might have more scope than a schoolteacher.

I was very much of the view that the others on the panel were ploughing an establishment furrow. One of the panellists (Pat Leahy?) seemed to think it was alright to take comments out of context simply because we are in campaign mode. Another (Ger Colleran) sneered at the nature of academic communication. Like tabloid communication is on a higher, more valuable plane. Puhleeese.

Having said all the above, I do think Norris has a tendency to shoot his mouth off (the interview with Aine Lawlor was a case in point - Norris just keeps on digging), and this will ultimately undermine his campaign. Regardless of that, I'd prefer he got his name on the ballot paper and voters were given the opportunity to decide if they want someone conventional or unconventional in the Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

McDave wrote: »
    Yep, I heard it. I thought she (Karen Divine?) put up a reasonable defence of Norris.

I don't know how you could think that Karen Devine put up a reasonable defence of Norris. When Dunphy confronted her with that quote about the condemnation being worse than the abuse itself, she was left floundering with nothing to say except a pathetic "I didn't hear that comment".

And to state that there was an undercurrent of hompohobia among the guests in the studio was just plain silly and stupid. If that's the best she can do, she'd be better off keeping her mouth shut.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

It's a much more measured approach from Dunphy this time than last week, where he was falling over himself to agree with Waters. But much like last Sunday, Dunphy and some of the guests are again misrepresenting what Norris actually said.

I don't know how you could think that Karen Devine put up a reasonable defence of Norris. When Dunphy confronted her with that quote about the condemnation being worse than the abuse itself, she was left floundering with nothing to say except a pathetic "I didn't hear that comment".

And to state that there was an undercurrent of hompohobia among the guests in the studio was just plain silly and stupid. If that's the best she can do, she'd be better off keeping her mouth shut.
    Just giving my opinion Harry.

In general, I'm not a major fan of Norris. He's a bit egotistical and attention-seeking for my taste. However, I'm not comfortable with the extent to which he's being bashed. I've no doubt there are plenty of commentators out there in the media plugging for particular candidates, and others just getting in their controversy oars. I'm certainly not going to play to their agendas.

On the basis of what I heard, Devine made some salient points about Norris's 'Greek' and 'age of consent' comments, i.e. that they were made in certain contexts, and that they are now being taken out of context. She got no support from the panel on those points. But nobody refuted her on them either. But I guess it's easier for the likes of Colleran to trot out a populist response than agree on a strict point about accurate reporting. He'd naturally prefer the editorial latitude a bit of vagueness gives him.

Her response to the Lawlor point was weak for sure. But two out of three ain't bad.

Like I say, Norris should be putting a sock in it. And that will probably be his undoing. But I'm not going to beat up on him for not being a conformist, so long as he stays within the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

Hi,

Can you reference where he actually said that (bold) and in what context it was stated in, as to opossed where it is stated as fact based on what Dunphy says what Norris said.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Karen Devine's credibility was undermined when she described Norris as 'the one politician who has actually spoken out about abuse'

That's a ridiculous comment and very insulting to the many politicians who have consistently campaigned on the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Just listening back to the podcast now... I think the crux of the issue with Norris is that he is not disciplined enough to be President.. He has said a number of outrageous things in the past, and if he came out with anything similar while he was President he would embarrass the country.. But like the panel said, anybody who criticised him is branded as homophobic...

It also bugs me that we have Dunphy (who pulls 300k from RTE alone for talking football), and Fergus Finlay (who wont tell us how much he pulls from Barnardo's) both pontificating to us about social injustice and the poor... Gimme a break....

• Advertisement

I think the crux of the issue with Norris is that he is not disciplined enough to be President.
    I'd agree with this. I wouldn't give him my vote for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

McDave wrote: »
    Another (Ger Colleran) sneered at the nature of academic communication. Like tabloid communication is on a higher, more valuable plane. Puhleeese.
    He's some piece of work is Colleran. He makes a habit out of taking the moral high ground, all the while putting out a smutty rag on the news shelves every day.

Aidric wrote: »
    He's some piece of work is Colleran.

Well I dont normally agree with you, but I've never liked this lad either.. He berated "the convicted criminal" (i.e. done for drink driving once) Gerald keane on a radio show last year, and wouldnt even lower himself to conduct a discussion with Keane as such ... YET he has no problem filling in for Dunphy (who has been convicted numerous times for drink driving and driving without insurance).. I mean just be consistent Ger ffs...

I think Dunphy's show has become a bit too pal-sy though.. Colleran, Gurdgiev and others "friends" appear frequently on the panel.. and they generally dictate the direction of the argument regardless of who the other contributors are.. I thought his whole premise was that he "wouldnt allow anybody on the show to talk BS".. not that whoever he had on the show had to agree with his opinion..

oh and ...

"Fighting Irish: A top Irish soccer star was decked in the team hotel"..

Can anybody help me out with this.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

SkidMark wrote: »
    Karen Devine's credibility was undermined when she described Norris as 'the one politician who has actually spoken out about abuse'

That's a ridiculous comment and very insulting to the many politicians who have consistently campaigned on the subject.

Precisely. How much did he contribute to Chistine Buckley's advocacy for those who suffered in the prison laundries?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

I think Dunphy's show has become a bit too pal-sy though.. Colleran, Gurdgiev and others "friends" appear frequently on the panel.. ..

Its always been that way though. Remember Jeffery Wheatcroft - he used to be on practically every day and was treated as an authority on everything.

Disaster for him when they cancelled the Dunphy morning show.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Just listening back to the podcast now... I think the crux of the issue with Norris is that he is not disciplined enough to be President.. He has said a number of outrageous things in the past, and if he came out with anything similar while he was President he would embarrass the country.. But like the panel said, anybody who criticised him is branded as homophobic...

It also bugs me that we have Dunphy (who pulls 300k from RTE alone for talking football), and Fergus Finlay (who wont tell us how much he pulls from Barnardo's) both pontificating to us about social injustice and the poor... Gimme a break....

In this case, it's probably true given your record of posts about gay people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Its always been that way though. Remember Jeffery Wheatcroft - he used to be on practically every day and was treated as an authority on everything.

Disaster for him when they cancelled the Dunphy morning show.

Not to mention Robert Fisk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

mike65 wrote: »

Fisk had a much higher profile though - he would be occasionally interviewed on middle eastern matters on for example BBC Newsnight.

Wheatcroft sank without trace afaik - certainly in terms of Irish media - when Dunphy finished the morning show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Where Off the Ball tonight??

No Ken?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

barryd09 wrote: »
    Where Off the Ball tonight??

No Ken?!?!

roadshow in galway tonight, finished at 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

no football show for the summer

It will be back in the middle of July.

In this case, it's probably true given your record of posts about gay people.

You must trawl through threads all day looking for things to take offense at do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Clitoris was mentioned at about 9.10 this morning! the comment went "X (Fianna Fail?) knows where the political clitoris is " There was a slight pause and stutter from the host as a shared giggle threatened to break out and then they recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Clitoris was mentioned at about 9.10 this morning! the comment went "X (Fianna Fail?) knows where the political clitoris is " There was a slight pause and stutter from the host as a shared giggle threatened to break out and then they recovered.

Did the Priest say that Iggy something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Or Duncan "Vol au Vent":D

Did the Priest say that Iggy something?

Father Iggy O'Donovan - Bertie Ahern was the nations clitoris stimulator.

Rubik. wrote: »
    Father Iggy O'Donovan - Bertie Ahern was the nations clitoris stimulator.
    I didn't much care for the mention of clitoris and Ahern in the same sentence. It's deeply disrespectful to clitoriseses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭el diablo

Why is a priest talking about clits? :confused:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement