Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DEAP/BER Issues (Merged)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

No prob Benny glad to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Mossyfields

TC, thanks a million for taking the time and effort in your detailed reply.

In addition; It's an absolute scandal that operators are charging €2000 x 15 pupils for a weeks work. There are obviously costs involved but these rates are outrageous.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my query.

TC has not mentioned that this is actually a very interesting industry. The training costs are too high , but very informative for anyone who has an interest or who has worked in construction.
    As an investment , you would be better buying shares in the banks. As a long term career , hopefully it will prove to be worthwhile and rewarding ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 bennybronko

TC has not mentioned that this is actually a very interesting industry. The training costs are too high , but very informative for anyone who has an interest or who has worked in construction.
    As an investment , you would be better buying shares in the banks. As a long term career , hopefully it will prove to be worthwhile and rewarding ;)

Cheers Mossyfields,

I agree with you on your point, I just hope the industry doesn't become wrapped up by estate agent and backhanders which I fear it might do.

I think I'll give it a month or two to brush up on a few skills before embarking on the course.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Who were you thinking about using for training? Any pros and cons of one or the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I spoke to a guy today whose brother has an estate agency practice and he said that his brother has a deal with a friend of his who is a qualified assessor to do the surveys for €200, the agent is charging €400. It looks like this will not be uncommon practice, as we all know how some estate agents work.

Sad days indeed. Hope this type of corruption won't destroy things for the honest BER Assessors. I agree the course is overly expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 bennybronko

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Who were you thinking about using for training? Any pros and cons of one or the other?

The only information I have is from the various course providers websites.
    Haven't had any personal recommendations.

Would appreciate recommendations for any Dublin course providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 mossysheehan

I'm doing my first assessment this week for a property developer i used work for on a block of appartments in a refurbished townhouse. Refurbished about six years ago. He has no evidence as to what type of insulation is actually in the walls, either photo's or invoices. I actually worked on the house for him so i know the walls have insulated plasterboard. Is there any way around using the default of a stone wall. Seems a bit harsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Mossyfields

I'm doing my first assessment this week for a property developer i used work for on a block of appartments in a refurbished townhouse. Refurbished about six years ago. He has no evidence as to what type of insulation is actually in the walls, either photo's or invoices. I actually worked on the house for him so i know the walls have insulated plasterboard. Is there any way around using the default of a stone wall. Seems a bit harsh.

You are obliged to do an accurare reading and a correct result. To enter what you know to be incorrect information would be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Any drawings and or specifications in a file anywhere, planning files even!!

Paula Rice is now on the last word, holding her own (just about!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Dam i missed the feckin thing! Howd she do No6?

She did ok(ish) Matt was gig her a hard time about an article in the Sunday Times where three different assessors got three different ratings for three different prices on the same house. :eek: She mentioned SEI audits and appeals procedure (where someone gets a rating they don't like (god help us!!) also that we're all supposed to have a minimum level 6 construction qualification, prices between 300 and 500 !!! (we wish!!) She wasn't too bad in fairness!!

No6 wrote: »
    She did ok(ish) Matt was gig her a hard time about an article in the Sunday Times where three different assessors got three different ratings for three different prices on the same house. :eek: She mentioned SEI audits and appeals procedure (where someone gets a rating they don't like (god help us!!) also that we're all supposed to have a minimum level 6 construction qualification, prices between 300 and 500 !!! (we wish!!) She wasn't too bad in fairness!!

Good, good!.. i'm after emailing matt there, i hope he reads it out before he goes off. i was saying that an end user is unaware of the training and registering cost for assessors and that if reg was cheaper and cert print out fee cancled then maybe it would be cheaper for an end user.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Anyone know how this is going to be enforced? I think it would be a shame now if the Government didn't enforce it properly if this doesn't get a good start then the BER could be disregarded before it even gets going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Local authories are charged with enforcement Villain - remains to be seen how they do so

I think SEI do have a tough sell if they can't move the arguments away from what the cert costs to obtain and onto the benefit the purchaser / renter .

2 houses same street both look similar ( for sale or let ) , you are looking to buy or rent . But one house only has spanking new boiler, lots of lel's , insulation upgrade = better BER - so like when buying a fridge you can compare products which are superficially the same .

That's when the penny will drop as to the value of BER's that is what should be emphasized

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Oh dear local Authorities! Could be a tough time trying to get it going so.

Obviously house sales will be easy to enforce problem is there is not a lot of them happening, if the rental market is enforced this could really suffer to get going, which would be very dissapointing imo

SEI are apparently going to enforce it. I do see them coming down on people and making examples of people for not having a BER Cert. Another way of supposed enforcement is getting the certs added into a planning application but this is only for new builds, as for existing dwellings... maybe An post can do this one as well ;):p

• Subscribers Posts: 41,015 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Smcgie wrote: »
    SEI are apparently going to enforce it. I do see them coming down on people and making examples of people for not having a BER Cert. Another way of supposed enforcement is getting the certs added into a planning application but this is only for new builds, as for existing dwellings... maybe An post can do this one as well ;):p

sei 'administer' the system..... but its up to building control in local authorities to 'enforce' it......

SEI are apparently going to enforce it.

no , they won't
    I do see them coming down on people and making examples of people for not having a BER Cert.

Why ? - because they can't do this - only local authorities
    Another way of supposed enforcement is getting the certs added into a planning application

no .... SI 666 of 2006 and it's provisions is how , actual , not supposed , enforcement is legislated for
    but this is only for new builds, as for existing dwellings... maybe An post can do this one as well ;):p

..... yeah ... maybe An Post will

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Another way of supposed enforcement is getting the certs added into a planning application but this is only for new builds, as for existing dwellings... maybe An post can do this one as well ;):p

Planning Permission is a terrible idea as BER options are finalised at tender / Contract stage!

IMO the easiest way to enforce it :- New Build - Law Society request it with Final Stage Payment.

Rent :- Tax office require BER for tax relief!

No extra cost, no new planning forms - simple!!!:confused:

• Advertisement

Sure theres some builders around here still coming to terms with the whole idea of the Building Control Act 1991 and the planning act (The 1963 one!!!) Enforcement is'nt that a Clint Eastwood Film???:D:D

Do ya feel lucky .... punk :cool:

RKQ wrote: »
    Planning Permission is a terrible idea as BER options are finalised at tender / Contract stage!

IMO the easiest way to enforce it :- New Build - Law Society request it with Final Stage Payment.

Rent :- Tax office require BER for tax relief!

No extra cost, no new planning forms - simple!!!:confused:

IMO - enforcement could be as simple as - LA's require Estate Agents ( selling / letting ) and solicitors ( selling ) to demonstrate to them that they are seeking BER certs . SI 666 2006 empowers LA' to demand cert from the building owner or agent

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭REFLINE1

Hi,This is my first post on this board bear that in mind if this ends up in the wrong thread!

Im a degree qualified Engineer working with a leading Irish Main Contractor.I have almost 5years experience on sites ranging from Residential (Apts etc) to Commercial projects.

Im in the process of signing up to do the BER asessor training course..probably with DIT.Ive convinced my employer to cover the costs of this training as part of my CPD.

Im thinking of getting into this as a sideline income but amen't sure wether its viable or worth the hassle! I have a solid understanding of insulation techniques heating systems etc as it stands.

Has anyone thoughts on this? Good idea/Bad?!

Im guessing id need PI to do this also?
    How much work is involved in a cert for a typical semi detached 3 bed for instance? (Hrs-Approx)

You guys seem to be well up on this topic so id appreciate the advice,
    cheers

Nice to have someone pay for it for you, you wouldn't be able to assess your employers buildings though when you qualify, if I were you I'd spend a hour or two reading all of the posts relating to BER on this site, theres a few threads, you should have PI & Pl too, Look on the SEI's website plenty of information there too.

sinnerboy wrote: »
    Do ya feel lucky .... punk :cool:
    Its not called the wild west for nothing you know!!! now wheres my horse!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭brianmacl

There is a slight problem with SEI enforcing it, as SI666 from 2006 was badly written. Part 3 talks about properties "offered for sale or letting" however in general estate agents invite to treat rather than offer for sale, this may sound petty but this could mean that no one could be prosicuted for not having a BER cert.:confused:

Then they tried lump estate agents in with the property owner, in relation to resposibility, by using the term "agent" which could also refer a solicitor but they didn't really define the term. So there may be a whole bunch of Solicitors juping up and down to help any estate agent who SEI try go after so they can make sure that SEI can't go after themselves.

I'm quite confused as to who's policing this, on my training course the BER Trainer said that SEI will be taking on people in mid-09 to do door-door visits on properties being built, or advertised for sale or rent. The course was in Nov of last year so maybe has gone over my head.

The training provider clearly stated that SEI are going to police this and they have already started employing TV Licence type men to call to on new built houses,

Obvious to reading your post this is hearsay. :rolleyes:

@ brianmcl -

From Part 3 SI 666 2006

(2) A person who offers for sale or letting (whether in writing or otherwise)—
    (a) a building of a class referred to in subparagraph (a) or (b) of paragraph (4) construction of which commences on or after such date specified for that class in the said subparagraphs, hereinafter referred to as a ‘new building’, or
    (b) on or after 1 January 2009, a building that is in existence on or before 1 January 2009,
    and any agent acting on behalf of such person in connection with such offering, shall produce a printed copy of the BER certificate and advisory report in relation to the building to any person expressing an interest in purchasing or taking a letting of the building and, on demand, to the building control authority in whose functional area the building is situated.

I am not a legal expert - ( perhaps you are ) . My interpretation is that agent is not defined , perhaps delibrately , so to include solicitors and estate agents .

note that local authorities , not sei have power to demand

Also from part 3 - enforcement

Production of BER certificate
    9. (1) A building control authority or an authorised officer thereof may demand, from the owner of a building, or the agent of such owner, within the functional area of the authority, the production of a printed copy of the BER certificate required in respect of the building by these Regulations, and if the building owner or the agent of such owner as the case may be refuses or fails to produce without reasonable excuse the printed copy of the BER certificate then and there, he or she, unless within 28 days after the day on which production was demanded he or she produces a printed copy of the BER certificate to the authority, commits an offence.

It seems clear to me - on what basis are you saying the SI is flawed ? - to clarify - I am not "challenging" you , you may see something I don't

• Advertisement

sinnerboy wrote: »
    no , they won't

Why ? - because they can't do this - only local authorities

no .... SI 666 of 2006 and it's provisions is how , actual , not supposed , enforcement is legislated for

..... yeah ... maybe An Post will

I love the way you tear a thread apart when its wrong :P

Advertisement