Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Significant snow Thursday Night/Friday/Saturday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Check on XC weather wind map, I haven't see reds and pinks cover the our island nation in a long while. Wind really is becoming scary here now.
    31stJanuary2008.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭squonk

Seems to be picking up here at quite a pace. Was just generally windy when Evelyn was giving out the forecast before 12 and I headed to bed then. It's started to increase now and we're just getting into some very gusty stuff. All in the space of about 15-20 mins and it's still rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

This should cheer Paddy.1 and other people out West up. Connaught regional forecast
    Tonight

Very cold and very windy tonight with heavy showers of hail and snow. Drifting snow by morning. Local blizzard conditions.

Tomorrow

Bitterly cold with snow showers and drifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Today

Very cold and very windy today with scattered wintry showers of rain, hail or sleet with snow showers on higher ground - though some snow will affect lower levels in the north and west for a time today. Risk of isolated thunderstorms also. Afternoon temperatures just 2 to 6 Celsius, coldest in the north, but the strong to gale force west to northwest will make it feel bitterly cold.

Tonight

Wintry showers continuing tonight in Ulster, Connacht and west Munster with an increasing risk of snow showers at lower levels there. Mostly dry elsewhere with clear spells. Very cold and windy overnight with ground frost, as temperatures fall near or below zero, with a risk of icy patches or lying snow in places.

Hmmm.....that forecast doesnt sound too promising for those of us in Leinster, or the 'sunny South East'

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ryanoneill2006

Today

Very cold and very windy today with scattered wintry showers of rain, hail or sleet with snow showers on higher ground - though some snow will affect lower levels in the north and west for a time today. Risk of isolated thunderstorms also. Afternoon temperatures just 2 to 6 Celsius, coldest in the north, but the strong to gale force west to northwest will make it feel bitterly cold.

Tonight

Wintry showers continuing tonight in Ulster, Connacht and west Munster with an increasing risk of snow showers at lower levels there. Mostly dry elsewhere with clear spells. Very cold and windy overnight with ground frost, as temperatures fall near or below zero, with a risk of icy patches or lying snow in places.

Hmmm.....that forecast doesnt sound too promising for those of us in Leinster, or the 'sunny South East'

To be fair, I'd say they are just trying to cover all angles, obviously those areas are a higher risk with a N'Wly. I have a feeling that we might see something in Dublin from this. Did anybody catch the Radio forecast this morning? Any talk of troughs crossing the country? I'd imagine thats probably our only chance of something half decent. I suppose its a waiting game now. Fingers crossed!!!

• Advertisement

http://85.214.49.20/wz/pics/brack0.gif

Plenty of troughs progged for the west coast.
    All of that area right down from Donegal to West cork should see some lying snow before saturday morning.
    I doubt there will be anything too much over here in the East.

The weather front on sunday could get interesting for artictree and longfield up on the higher ground.

Ah, now this is a bit more like it:

Issued at 31 January 2008 - 08:30

Warning of Severe Weather

Early Warning of Snow

A cold snap will develop over Ireland Today and continue on Friday and much of the Weekend.

Wintry showers of hail, sleet and snow are expected at times Today and Friday, with Ulster, Connacht, northern Counties of Leinster and also West Munster most at risk. Some significant snowfall is likely in these areas later today, tonight and tomorrow , but other areas should see a dusting of snow too. The days and nights will be very cold with any snow lying. Showers should become well scattered later Friday night and for Saturday, and a partial thaw is likely in any sunshine. But present indications suggest that a spell of heavy rain will move up over the country on Saturday night and early on Sunday, falling as sleet and snow for a time, mainly on high ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

We've had sleet and hail here in Letterkenny this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The excitement is palpable, not often ya hear mention of "drifting" from the Irish Met, overnight things have become much less marginal.

The aim of the game now is to see where the fronts go.

I expect the main one to paste Ulster and North Leinster from 6am tomorrow morning ;)

Off to a Lab and then to Nowcast:D

Basically it looks like small secondary low will form attached to the vicious storm and push southwards.

Its warm sector looks like push 850hpa temps to -4/-5c along the east coast.

Temps around 1/2c with dewpoints @ 0/-1c.

It could be that the snow just keeps falling on the east coast all day tomorrow, and along the north coast.

6z is sweet for Leinster, cold air, heavy precip, and then more during Friday night.

Potential for upto 15cm locally at low levels in the east, 5-10cm's widely.

• Advertisement

Sorry, Wc, is this later today? If there's a secondary low with dp of 0 or -1, sounds like Snow with precip, right?

Sorry, Wc, again. Misread. 1-2 with dp 0 or -1 is rain for us isn't it, or sleet at best?

squonk wrote: »
    Sorry, Wc, again. Misread. 1-2 with dp 0 or -1 is rain for us isn't it, or sleet at best?

No it's snow, the most important thing IMO will be to have a hard frost tonight and then for the snow to arrive around 8-9am..

Alot precip looks like going into England also, but its associated with the warm sector, along the east coast the warm sector will have little effect and we will have the cold upper air ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

So what for those viewers who will be further west?? North Tipp in particular. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭arctictree

Basically it looks like small secondary low will form attached to the vicious storm and push southwards.

Its warm sector looks like push 850hpa temps to -4/-5c along the east coast.

Temps around 1/2c with dewpoints @ 0/-1c.

It could be that the snow just keeps falling on the east coast all day tomorrow, and along the north coast.

6z is sweet for Leinster, cold air, heavy precip, and then more during Friday night.

Potential for upto 15cm locally at low levels in the east, 5-10cm's widely.

Do you have a chart for this?

arctictree wrote: »
    Do you have a chart for this?
    I dunno if it will extend as far south as you artictree,it might but it wont get as far as me.

I presume the chart WC is looking at is the 06z precip gfs and the 850's.
    The -10 air doesnt get into north leinster but its nearby

Heres the precip chart for the coldest day tomorrow and you can see that wicklow southwards is not in a heavy progged precip area if anything at all but ulster is so the counties of Louth across to sligo are also in the line of fire.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn304.png

By evening its better but at all times the precip is heaviest over ulster and this slides in the northwesterly into the Irish sea and on into n wales.
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn364.png

Latest reports from MetEireann:

BELMULLET W 22 Gust 54 RECENT SNOW

KNOCK AIRPORT W 14 Gust 42 RECENT SNOW

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Latest reports from MetEireann:

BELMULLET W 22 Gust 54 RECENT SNOW

KNOCK AIRPORT W 14 Gust 42 RECENT SNOW

:D

So it begins.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭arctictree

I dunno if it will extend as far south as you artictree,it might but it wont get as far as me.

I presume the chart WC is looking at is the 06z precip gfs and the 850's.
    The -10 air doesnt get into north leinster but its nearby

Heres the precip chart for the coldest day tomorrow and you can see that wicklow southwards is not in a heavy progged precip area if anything at all but ulster is so the counties of Louth across to sligo are also in the line of fire.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn304.png

By evening its better but at all times the precip is heaviest over ulster and this slides in the northwesterly into the Irish sea and on into n wales.
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn364.png

Yes, looks like a knife edge situation here for snow. All we need is for the precip to arrive.

BTW - I think conditions here are good to go. 3.1c and DP of -0.1c

A

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,472 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

We just got a sleet shower that quicky changed to rain here in North Tipp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭silverski

and clear blue skies in Bray.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Here is the new met warning

Some snow showers ( mostly light) are likely in other areas too, during Thursday night and especially on Friday. Very cold throughout with any snow lying, and there will be some icy roads too. Showers will be well scattered later Friday night and Saturday with a partial thaw likely on Saturday. Valid until 2/208 1800

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

it been snowing since 9 am this morning- blizzard conditions at times with the strong wind:D. unfortunately, though none of the snow has stuck:(

arctictree wrote: »
    Yes, looks like a knife edge situation here for snow. All we need is for the precip to arrive.

BTW - I think conditions here are good to go. 3.1c and DP of -0.1c

A
    Exact same dewpoint here interestingly.
    but then the air I'm breathing now was up over the wicklow mountains before it came here.
    Temp is 1.8c higher but slowly dropping.

it been snowing since 9 am this morning- blizzard conditions at times with the strong wind:D. unfortunately, though none of the snow has stuck:(
    Where nacho?
    Could you put your location in your profile so it appears each time you post.
    You can do that by going to your user cp and clicking on edit profile which will be on the left.
    Then save it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Just had our first rain/hail/sleet shower (short) with the hint a flake of snow too.

As Black Briar mentioned about putting locations in people's profiles, it'd be very useful at this stage, so we all know where we're talking about. I know the Wickla lads and a few around the Meath area (close enough to myself) but I haven't a clue where the rest of you are based so I usually go on the profiles. Please update!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

It snowed heavily in Longford from 9.30 to 10.30 this morning it was like a blizzard. Sky is getting really dark down here now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭repr

Every shower that passes here is fallin as snow at sea level but none is stickin as it aint heavy enough. Although the hills have a wee dustin.

I just watched latest bbc24 weather and he think all the heavy snow tomorrow will be in West Southern Ireland, Scotland and East England.

Had the whole of Ulster and Central and Eastern Ireland dry as a bone.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Usual January rain and wind here in Clonee. Not a hint of any sleet/hail/snow.

Advertisement