Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Significant snow Thursday Night/Friday/Saturday

Options

Comments

Longfield wrote: »
    If that occlusion makes it down here I'll be doing a jig.
    It might ,one did before a few years ago.
    Started snowing here at about 11am for a few hrs-twas light but steady.
    Very little stuck though except on the hills..

*wait* you are up the hills!

bassy wrote: »
    so then lads any hope for a nice fall of snow in north kilkenny?

a lot of you predicting by the charts no snow for southeast,any change on that?

heres hoping for snowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww here.
    Should be some,how much we dont know.
    The showers are either going to be widespread or restricted to the north and west,its hard to say.
    Stay tuned.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Should be some,how much we dont know.
    The showers are either going to be widespread or restricted to the north and west,its hard to say.
    Stay tuned.

Aye, thats about the gist of it. The heart says sneachta, the head says cop myself on...

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I'm watching this thread with interest as everytime we get a good snowfall forecast in Donegal, it disappoints. (Ask Sean McEniff). :D

Now guys, I believe we're right in the firing line, so to speak.

Will I be disapointed yet again?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

smashey wrote: »
    I'm watching this thread with interest as everytime we get a good snowfall forecast in Donegal, it disappoints. (Ask Sean McEniff). :D

Now guys, I believe we're right in the firing line, so to speak.

Will I be disapointed yet again?

No, not this time, your gonna have 6 inches of snow on your grass for sure by nightfall Friday ;)

• Advertisement

No, not this time, your gonna have 6 inches of snow on your grass for sure by nightfall Friday ;)
    I like your optimism WC. :D

Oh to be so young again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just saw the rte forecast and they are giving a 2 day cold snap, wintry showers on thursday and snow showers on friday, mild south westerlys back by saturday with temps of 7 or 8C

BBC have removed the snow risk from Dublin again:(

A major downgrade I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Gonzo wrote: »
    just saw the rte forecast and they are giving a 2 day cold snap, wintry showers on thursday and snow showers on friday, mild south westerlys back by saturday with temps of 7 or 8C

BBC have removed the snow risk from Dublin again:(

I wouldn't worry about snow forecasts for Dublin - its nailed on for the Northwest - Smashey will be digging his way out of his house on Saturday morning, alas for us on the eastern coast; it will take a very active trough or a polar low to deliver the goods.

These are always nowcast things, all we can say is that the conditions look right for them to develop but its far from certain that they will.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I wonder how much we could get down around Limerick\North Tipp?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I do wonder also. I'm not expecting much, but don't we live in hope:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

The Galway International Rally at the w/end should be fun, fast powerfull cars and the dreaded white stuff. It will be mayhem:)

im doing the rally.... should i be buying the snow tires now ???? lol... also id say they will be griting the roads and about 200 cars will go through before us would this melt it down to the tarmac??? if its at a few inches....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

GFS is hinting towards an interesting weekend on the 18z. This cold spell could be back for Sunday/Monday/Tuesday yet... damn Saturday afternoon anyways!

Longfield wrote: »
    Smashey will be digging his way out of his house on Saturday morning
    Hopefully.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Posted this on NW and its my honest opinion of the charts

For the Irish contributers - tbh I dont think you get whats in front of us. The vast majority will have lying snow on Friday. Trough after trough will be coming down in the flow from Thursday evening. The SSTs are suitably high for these to be very active indeed (hence the met eireann forcast) - a November 2006 event but with more snow and readily lying. Thats my honest opinion - I cant think of anywhere missing out - unless you live in Rosslare! Even here id expect some flakes;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

00z shows a band of snow crossing the country on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭arctictree

darkman2 wrote: »
    00z shows a band of snow crossing the country on Friday.

UKMO T+48 shows a front lying right across the country (Galway to Dublin) on Thursday night. This is looking interesting....

FSXX00T_48.jpg

A

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Looks promising but I can't get excited after so many let-downs in the past. I really suspect this will end up once again with the snow coming to a halt somewhere around Ashbourne or maybe Blanch. Fingers crossed though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭hawkwing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

GFS now indicating reasonable precipitation in the Dublin area on Friday - 10mm - if this all fell as snow I suppose that would come to about 10cm:D? Although for the period of the heavier precipitation the dew point rises above freezing so maybe not all snow:(!
    http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample_C.shtml?text=EIDW

Looks like there gonna be a band of intense precip moving south during Friday AM, there is a problem though, temperatures are at 1-3c and dewpoints are at -1c -> 1c

If the winds stay off land NNW then it could stay totally as snow.

If it did we would get around 6 inches of snow across most of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Evel Knievel wouldn't be able to make it up that ramp! ;)

Looks like there gonna be a band of intense precip moving south during Friday AM, there is a problem though, temperatures are at 1-3c and dewpoints are at -1c -> 1c

If the winds stay off land NNW then it could stay totally as snow.

I deeply suspect that will be snow on high ground and well inland but cold rain or sleet on the coast.
    If coastal dp's are above zero I could be right.
    Impossible to tell.

I find it difficult to believe that dp's could be above zero in an artic flow though.
    they are near enough to 1 or 3c today even and what we have now is far from artic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

The dewpoints are below 0 before and after the period of heavy precipitation; it's just during it, when you'd want it most, that the dewpoints rise slightly. Is this not a function of heavy precipitation that it will cause dewpoints to rise slightly?

not by 4 or 5 points in an artic flow.
    Exponentially in a SW flow when it takes over from an artic or easterly flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Tails142

Warning of Severe Weather

for Severe winds and later some snow.

Wind Warning

It will become extremely windy or stormy overnight tonight.

South to southwest winds will increase to

30 to 40 knots / 55 to 75 km/h and will gust

60 to 70 knots / 115 to 130 km/h with the strongest gusts expected in exposed parts of Ulster and Connacht.

Valid from 30/01/2008 at 2100 to 31/01/2008 at 0700.

Early Warning of Snow

It will become extremely cold during Thursday, and this cold snap will continue over the Weekend.

Wintry showers of hail, sleet and snow are expected during Thursday, Thursday night and on Friday, heavy in places with some significant snow fall at times. Areas most at risk include Ulster, Connacht and West Munster, but some snow fall is likely in other areas too, during Thursday night and on Friday. Both the days and nights will be very cold with any snow lying, and there will be some icy roads also. Showers should be well scattered later Friday night and on Saturday. It will stay cold on Saturday, but a partial thaw is likely in any sunshine.

Present indications suggest that a spell of heavy rain will move up over the country on Saturday night and early on Sunday, falling as snow for a time mainly on high ground.

Issued by The Central Analysis and Forecast Office, Met Éireann at 10:30 on 30th January 2008

Tails142 wrote: »
    Wintry showers of hail, sleet and snow are expected during Thursday, Thursday night and on Friday, heavy in places with some significant snow fall at times.

Significant snow....yummy.

I find it difficult to believe that dp's could be above zero in an artic flow though.
    they are near enough to 1 or 3c today even and what we have now is far from artic :)

How reliable are dp predictions 48 hours from an event like this?

From Accuweather's European Weather Blog :

Heavy Snow, Finally

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Well, things look quite impressive if you are looking for some snow in the U.K. and Ireland. As I said yesterday, there is more snow likely the next several days as we see a very strong cold front passing through, and it looks like the cold air is finally going to be in place for a nice snowfall over the entire area. This will likely stretch well into France and the rest of Central Europe.

The cold air is going to be pushing quite strongly into Northern Europe for Friday and Saturday. Though there will likely be a few places that see a nice snowfall from this of upwards of 20 cms, most places will at least see upwards of 3-5 cms of snow with this storm. I am very confident to say that there will be snow in London, and though it might not be enough to bring some sleds out and enjoy it, this will be a welcome sight as many have noted the lack of snow the past few years in the U.K. and Ireland. I really do expect to see some heavy snowfall in the higher elevations, so there might even be a chance to get some good skiing in parts of Scotland and Northern England. The snow will likely begin early on Friday and continue through the day on Saturday. For those in northern France, this snow will likely be more like ocean-effect snowfall over the area as the main piece of energy pushes further to the north, but there can be upwards of 5-10 cms in some o the heaviest bands of snow. Do not expect much in the way of a heavy, widespread snowfall as this storm really pushes more to the north into Scandinavia. There may be some snowfall with the next storm that will cause more in the way of problems for snowfall, but it's going to be very questionable as to the temperatures for this next storm on Sunday into early Monday, but we actually got snow before that!

snowlondon.png

Now i personally reckon that the GFS 6z has thrown the low too deep and too close to us....

But if it were to come off the reason behind the possible sleet/rain is due to the warm core associated with the distrubance moving south, see we are close to the main low which does not have really cold air at its core.

Im hoping for the low to stay 50-100miles further west but to go further south, this will give us the full cold and still give us the precip!!

• Advertisement

2808toj.jpg

Based on the 06Z GFS.

:)

Advertisement