Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dinner Tonight! Where to go? - Restaurant & Eating Out Recommendations for NCD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Got a flyer through the door for the new take-away menu from Castellina Chianti which is called Mario's (the typos only make it all the more interesting :D)

Anyway, Sun-Thurs they do 12" pizza for €5. Was a bit concerend about what sort of veggie pizza I would get when the tuna and hawaiian pizzas were marked vegetarian but for the sake of €5 we thought we'd give it a punt. Ordered two thinking they might be a bit scabby at only €5 - veggie pizza and the fiorentina one.

OH MY GOD they were fabulous. Ok, so we had to wait a while cos they weren't ready when we called to collect them, but they were defintely worth waiting for - they are cooked fresh and proper stone baked. They were fabulous, and I might add huge (bigger than 12" I reckon) with plenty of toppings and sauce. Usually when you get these special offer deals, the toppings are a bit stingy, but not from Marios/Castellina Cianti. I almost felt guilty only giving a fiver for them!

On the basis of the pizza, we went to the restaurant the following week - and again it was fantastic. Decent amount of veggie options, which always gains mega points from me, and good tasty food, not a dolmio sauce in sight (thank god).

I had the cannelloni, he had the Chicken with a tarragon sauce. Portions were huge. Mine came with garlic bread, but when it arrived I fancied a bit of salad, so asked for a small green salad. When the bill came the salad wasn't on it so I told them they forgot to add it, and he said, oh no, no charge for that, I should have asked you if you prefered salad or bread with it, so my fault.

Staff were attentive without being overbearing.

We just missed out on the early bird, yet it was still very reasonable - €46 for 2 starters, 2 mains, 2 glasses of wine. Good big portions, came out stuffed and very happy.

As I said, being veggie I often get very disappointed when eating out because there is usually very little choice for me and what I do get often is quite bland/boring or I could have knocked it up at home in 10 mins. It was very refreshing to have a few nice choices, and when I phoned to make the reservation and mentioned I was veggie they even offered to make something particularly if I didn't see anything I liked on the menu.

So a big thumbs up from us, and we will definitely go back. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Where in DCN is this place?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Where in DCN is this place?

Its in Balbriggan - been there a good few years now, in the Linen Exchange on Georges Hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Mastersons steak house in swords - pricy but tasty. Book before hand , always really busy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Does anyone know if The Lifeboat restaurant in Skerries is still open and if so, would it be a suitable venue for a Holy Communion gathering/meal?

Looking at about 12 adults and 3 kids.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

This is now Brasco's. I've not been there though. (Am going to Blue later. Around 6:30. ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭PaulD77

Does anyone know if The Lifeboat restaurant in Skerries is still open and if so, would it be a suitable venue for a Holy Communion gathering/meal?

Looking at about 12 adults and 3 kids.

Thanks.

As HB said that is now Brascos. The owners of the life boat have opened the Windmill restaurant in new street, in between Ollies place and the snug and gave communions and confirmations every weekend there. You can pm me for contact details if you want

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Thanks Paul will PM you for more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 weatherfish

I was in Brasscos on Saturday for Communion dinner we were very impressed with food and service

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Went to Ollies tonight with the OH after reading about it here.

The food was delicious, great service, and when I asked about allergies as the OH's daughter has loads, the waiter actually took the time to check with the chef and see what they could do.

Will definitely be going back there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I have to know. The sauce on the wings in Blue. WHAT IS IT???

I have to know :( Any time I'm away and get wings I always get bitterly disappointed that they don't taste like the ones in Blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

I have to know. The sauce on the wings in Blue. WHAT IS IT???

I think

Book-Favorite-Products-Franks-Red-Hot-Buffalo-Wing-Sauce.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

sgarvan wrote: »
    I think

Book-Favorite-Products-Franks-Red-Hot-Buffalo-Wing-Sauce.jpg

It cannot be that simple :eek:

No wait, it deffo isn't that. I have that in my house!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Chun Li

I'd recommend Fowlers in Malahide (used to be Smyths). Not for formal meal type food but was good for pub grub on a Sunday for lunch where most pubs are carvery.

Shared a starter of chicken wings and had lamb shank for mains.

No complaints, tasty food and serve soft drinks in a can <- yeh no reason why I think it was relevant to add that but there ya go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Chun Li wrote: »
    I'd recommend Fowlers in Malahide (used to be Smyths). Not for formal meal type food but was good for pub grub on a Sunday for lunch where most pubs are carvery.

Shared a starter of chicken wings and had lamb shank for mains.

No complaints, tasty food and serve soft drinks in a can <- yeh no reason why I think it was relevant to add that but there ya go

I love soft drinks ina can in pubs. Much better value than the 200ml glass bottles. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

Just spotted Brascos restaurant in Skerries down by the harbour. Has anybody been yet? Reviews on menupages seem good so i was thinking of giving it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Helmet

Was in there last week. Really tasty. I had fish and chips, very fresh and a nice light batter. My wife had surf nd turf (don't be misled, it's a burger with scampi).
    The scampi were particularly good. Reasonably priced too, enjoy!
    Kumsheen wrote: »
    Just spotted Brascos restaurant in Skerries down by the harbour. Has anybody been yet? Reviews on menupages seem good so i was thinking of giving it a try.

Anybody recommend a Pub that does a good Sunday carvery near Skerries? I've tried Raffs a couple of times but thought the portions were a bit on the small side.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 Flintrock

Has this thread turned into a surreptitious advertising exercise? I'm not off thread with this question.

Flintrock wrote: »
    Has this thread turned into a surreptitious advertising exercise? I'm not off thread with this question.

If you have a problem with a post - report it using the Report Post function. Or if you have general concerns regarding advertising (& I can tell you that I don't & I have read every post in this particular thread) feel free to PM the Mods (me or Beasty).

However, please do not drag the thread off-topic & stick to the recommendations for local dining.

tHB

• Advertisement

Anybody recommend a Pub that does a good Sunday carvery near Skerries? I've tried Raffs a couple of times but thought the portions were a bit on the small side.

I didn't even know that Raffs did a carvery, but I can't honestly think of anywhere else in the town. You could try the Man O War or the Balrothery Inn though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Spoke to 2 people today who had lunch in Harbour bar Rush over week end and both thought it was very good, good portions and reasonably priced. I have ate there a few times and thought it was fairly good on each occasion. I had lunch in the Strand Bar also in Rush 2 weeks ago and it was very good. Mrs B had a seafood dish and thought it was top class I went for the steak and this was really tasty.

I didn't even know that Raffs did a carvery, but I can't honestly think of anywhere else in the town. You could try the Man O War or the Balrothery Inn though.

Yes Raffs do it and it was very nice, but i was still hungry after both visits so i'm on the lookout for another location.
    I forgot about the Man o war, i must give that a try. Thanks.

Now that I think of it - Ollie's (next to Raffs) do a Sunday Lunch - not a carvery in the true sense - but roast of the day & the usual trimmings.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

If a fellow were to want to head out for a nice evening meal with the missus where would be a good place to go seeing as we're based in Balbriggan. Anywhere in taxi distance is on the cards.

I know Ollies gets mentioned a lot but is that somewhere casual or a place you could get dressed up for a little?

Ollie's is a bar that does food. There's also The Windmill Steakhouse which is a restaurant next door (run by the same chef - Caroline Lacey). I've not eaten there but have heard good reviews.

You can also get good grub in Blue Bar & Stoop Your Head over by the harbour. Brascoes is a restaurant over there too but I have no idea what it is like.

The Redbank is just around the corner from Ollie's on Church St. They are giving good deals on an early bird menu at the moment. Details on their website if you do a Google.

Food for thought so to speak... :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Now that I think of it - Ollie's (next to Raffs) do a Sunday Lunch - not a carvery in the true sense - but roast of the day & the usual trimmings.

Thanks for that.

After threatening to do so for ages, the OH's two kids (well 19 and 22) were treated to a night out in ollies tonight for a special occasion.

His daughter has a raft of allergies (dairy, eggs, gluten, soy to name a few) and probably for the first time in three years, she ate in a restaurant with staff who paid great attention to her allergies, checked with the kitchen about what she could have (she was dying for chicken wings) and then asked if they could help with her main course, and did it with a smile and didn't make her feel like a leper.

She'd one of the two types of wings with nothing she is allergic to, and a steak, and said it's the first time in ages she has felt full without worrying about allergies.

Her Dad and I were delighted to see her being looked after so well and Ollies is now top of the list as a place to go to to celebrate family events, apart from the care and service they really loved it.

For very special occasions we'll go next door (can't remember the name) :)

It was my birthday that we went out for tonight, and seeing the OHs daughter so happy and so pleased with a meal out probably made the day for me, it was very special.

Massive thanks to the staff there, such a pleasure to get such great service, and to see someone who for years has struggled to eat out, enjoying a proper meal. :) Coming home, she must have said at least five times, what a great time she had had and how lovely the food was.

If a fellow were to want to head out for a nice evening meal with the missus where would be a good place to go seeing as we're based in Balbriggan. Anywhere in taxi distance is on the cards.

I know Ollies gets mentioned a lot but is that somewhere casual or a place you could get dressed up for a little?

I was in Ollies last Friday as I was just home after a few weeks travel away from work, and there were a few dressy uppy people there.

Ollies has loads of booths so how you are dressed isn't going to make as big a difference as in tables in a normal restaurant if that makes sense?

Stheno - That's wonderful! I'm sure that Caroline & Ollie will be really chuffed with their staff when they hear what you've said.

I must mention it to a friend of mine who has a similar range of allergies.

• Advertisement

Stheno - That's wonderful! I'm sure that Caroline & Ollie will be really chuffed with their staff when they hear what you've said.

I must mention it to a friend of mine who has a similar range of allergies.

HB, please please do. I've gotten used to over the years of having to put up with condescending staff who ignore or don't pay attention to allergy information, and OH's daughter ends up eating chips.

Simon was the staff member we first dealt with when we went in together, and the chap tonight who was incredibly helpful was a tall skinny chap with curly hair, absolutely fantastic to deal with.

Ollies is one of very very few restaurants she can eat in without feeling she is putting the staff out, and she really really enjoyed it, she was absolutely full of praise for the food, the staff, and the entire night.

That's never happened before, her Dad and I were absolutely thrilled to see her enjoying a full two courses before declaring she was stuffed!

They have no email on their contact page, or I'd be sending a nice mail!

Being very nosy, does Ollie have two very small, and very blond curly haired kids?

Advertisement