Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dinner Tonight! Where to go? - Restaurant & Eating Out Recommendations for NCD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hell is a golden coloured beer.
    More info here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Good to hear, good chicken wings are a rarity. Whats Fishers Helles? Anyone asked yet if they use Irish Chicken? Irish as in the 26 counties.

surely the location of the source of chicken would not influence the opinion of the taste of the wings.

did anyone go down to the thatch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Martron wrote: »
    surely the location of the source of chicken would not influence the opinion of the taste of the wings.

True, but I prefer the chicken to be Irish than Thai or Brazilian which is frozen then imported into europe, minimal processed and then called Dutch, GB or Irish. It might also help out the chicken farmers here who have there margins screwed down to nothing. Its not just ethically shopping at farmers markets, good to ask when dining out if the establishment sources locally. Sorry for going slightly off thread there.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭PaulD77

I can confirm that the chicken is 100% Irish as are all meats used. Purchased locally from a butcher who gets them from either Monaghan or Kerry depending on pricing at the time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sassychick

Ive been to the jade palace restaurant in applewood...it has an 8 euro all u can eat menu and the food is delicious:DIts a 3 course set menu with a variety of starters,soups and main course...i went last week with the oh and 2 friends we all had 3 courses 3 cokes n 4 beers and it came to 52 euro!!!!!Cant recomend it enough;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Hell is a golden coloured beer.
    More info here.

Forget hell try straight Satan..

http://www.satanbeer.com/frame1e.html

Good strong beer BTW

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

The OH had a takeaway from the relatively new Indian restaurant/takeaway in Balbriggan, called Moti Mahal. The ingrediants used tasted fresh and the vindaloo was as hot as can be expected! :eek:

Myself and Mrs Fowl tried this tonight

Sheek tandoori and prawn puri starters with chicken tikka masala and chicken vindaloo mains. All absolutely gorgeous.

Would definitely recommend it strongly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

Has anyone been to Sale e Pepe in the Diamond in Malahide? Going out for dinner tomorrow night and want to try somewhere different to our usual haunts. Is it any good?

Myself & Mrs Billy brought the boys to Caroline Lacey's "Grill@Ollie's" in Skerries this evening. It was brill. Great menu with pretty much a dish to suit any taste.

The four of us had a portion of her legendary wings to start & there were still enough left over for a doggy bag. :)
    IMO - The wings were better than Elephant & Castle's ever were. And they used to be gooooood.

Mrs B's burger was savage, as were the kids's meals. And the best homemade chips I've had in a long, long time.

I have to give a special mention to the mountain of baby back ribs. Sweet Jebus - they were so tender it was amazing & the homemade BBQ sauce delicious but could have done with an extra 'kick', then again I like it quite spicy. (Another doggy bag for the leftovers here too.)

It was also funny to see Mrs B & HB Jr I decline dessert because they were too full. :)

Looking forward to going back again. Good spot for an early evening dnner with the kids too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 mirtos

The Thai Gourmet Restaurant in Balbriggan is excellent; both food and service. Portions were well sized (we couldn't finish ours) and they now do take-away, with prices cheaper than the restaurant, even though the restaurant is already very good value ;). Check out the wood carvings inside, they look really cool. We will definately be back :D.

• Advertisement

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Was in Cruzzo's Malahide last night. Place was absolutely jammers, but the food was very disappointing. Would not rush back.
    I agree with you there. I brought my parents to Cruzzo's and was terribly disappointed with the quality and cost of the food. Could have cooked a much nicer meal at home. It's over-rated and I would not recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 HuckaBucka

I had the wings in Ollies last week and didnt think they were great at all - the sauce was not nice and the wings were covered in it.

Far from Elephant Castle's standards - or even Blue's!

I have to disagree. I was only in E&C two weeks ago (for the first time in years) & was disappointed with the wings. They weren't as spicy as I remember & the skin was too fatty & the flesh too dry. :confused:

On the other hand, the wings in Ollie's were spicy, the skin crispier & the flesh tender & moist.

The wings in Blue are good, but not as good as Ollie's.

Sorry about that John. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭PaulD77

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Sorry about that John. :o

:D Was just about to reply something similar to that, jokingly of course

Huckabucka,
    All feedback is welcome and we do appreciate it. I suppose its a matter of taste if you are saying you just dont like the wings like that rather than there actually being something wrong with them. I hope you let the waitress know when you didnt finish them!

Im a little bit disappointed that you felt the need to create an account and make your first post on boards about how bad they were, I preume that is all you had since you didnt comment on anything else?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Had a fantastic early bird meal in the Old Schoolhouse in Swords this evening, both myself and Mr. Steno really really enjoyed our food.

We've been searching for a nice place to take Mr's parents for a while, this is definitely top of the list.

Also ate recently in Mastersons in Swords and enjoyed it but not as much as the Old Schoolhouse at all.

Absolutely delicious meal, only complaint is the portions were too large :D

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭scifi77

Stheno wrote: »
    Had a fantastic early bird meal in the Old Schoolhouse in Swords this evening, both myself and Mr. Steno really really enjoyed our food.

We've been searching for a nice place to take Mr's parents for a while, this is definitely top of the list.

Also ate recently in Mastersons in Swords and enjoyed it but not as much as the Old Schoolhouse at all.

Absolutely delicious meal, only complaint is the portions were too large :D

That's a good complaint! Must try it out.:pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The early bird is 5-7 Mon - Thurs.

They also do a two course (starter and main with two glasses of wine) for two for €40 Mon - Wed until 9:30, generally either seafood or steak based, trying that out next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

Has anyone been to Thai Gourmet in Balbriggan recently? Thinking of going there for dinner but read a dodgy review that was in the Irish Times so having second thoughts now.

Any opinions appreciated :)

Hi Breakfast Roll.

I went with Mr. Mirtos to the Thai Gourment in Balbriggan 2 weeks ago and we had a great experience. The food was excellent; we had the mixed platter for 2 for starter, the pad thai for main course (Mr. Mirtos is new to Thai food and found the taste interesting) and also a chicken and ginger dish which was fantastic. The food is cooked freshly and doesn't contain MSG. The service is also excellent. We are actually planning a return visit in a couple of weeks. Let us know how you got on! ps. I didn't see the review in the Irish Times, can you post the review?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

Thanks so much for that Mirtos !
    The review wasn't exactly about the restaurant itself, but there was an article in it re outlets being closed over food safety and in the article there was a mention of Thai Gourmet.
    I'm thinking of going tonight so I'll let you know how I get on :)

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0707/breaking46.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Thanks so much for that Mirtos !
    The review wasn't exactly about the restaurant itself, but there was an article in it re outlets being closed over food safety and in the article there was a mention of Thai Gourmet.
    I'm thinking of going tonight so I'll let you know how I get on :)

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0707/breaking46.html

Love the place. Great authentic Thai food. Of all the Thai places I've tried in Ireland its the closest to the food I had in Thailand.

That article mentions that they were given a warning, not closed down. They must have sorted out whatever was wrong or they would have been closed since then.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I went to Howth today with Mr. Mirtos and we decided to go to 'The Waterside Bar' and it was appaling. Our fish cakes were rock-hard (they looked as if they were cooked at least twice) and the mussels were inedible (the sauce tasted of milk and the mussels were definately not fresh... bordering gone-off). We couldn't eat any of it and complained to mangment about the quality (I had previously eaten there and it was fine). At least managment accepted our concerns and did not charge, and they did offer us an alternative dish of our choice which we declined.

We then decided to go to 'The Oar House' (so as not to ruin the day) and the food there was fantastic; we had oysters which were delicious and fresh, and we had mussels (again; 'The Oar House' verified our concerns about the 'Waterside Bar' mussels being not-so-fresh). The Oar House was full and advance bookings are definately recommended. they also have a varied wine menu which offers value. We are looking forward to going there again.

Regarding 'Ivans' in Howth, I went there recently with my father and whilst it is very expensive and quite pretentious, the food is fresh, delicious and worth it if you want to impress someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Love the place. Great authentic Thai food. Of all the Thai places I've tried in Ireland its the closest to the food I had in Thailand.

That article mentions that they were given a warning, not closed down. They must have sorted out whatever was wrong or they would have been closed since then.

Mrs bcmf went out her with a gang girls 2 weeks back and came home full of praise. Went out for lunch there to-day and have to agree. Very good food. the restauant in general really reminded of restaurants in Thailand.Sunday lunch till 4.30 for 10.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Another great meal in Ollie's Place in Skerries last night and decided to try something different for starters.

The paté is probably the best I've ever tasted and is brilliantly complimented by the garlic baguette that comes with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭The Rooster

dcr22B wrote: »
    Another great meal in Ollie's Place in Skerries last night and decided to try something different for starters.

The paté is probably the best I've ever tasted and is brilliantly complimented by the garlic baguette that comes with it.
    I must get down to Skerries to try out Ollie's.

My favourite restaurant at the moment is Sapphires in Rush. Love the food, and the staff treat us so well when we go there its very hard to pick anywhere else when we decide to go out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

In fairness, there are some great spots to eat in Skerries & Rush but Ollie's definitely eclipses them all. Hardly surprising given Caroline Lacey's great nosh in The Lifeboat when it was open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

In fairness, there are some great spots to eat in Skerries & Rush but Ollie's definitely eclipses them all. Hardly surprising given Caroline Lacey's great nosh in The Lifeboat when it was open.

Harper must owe you a freebie at this stage

I've had Sunday lunch there the past two weeks & it has been fab. Doggy-bags sorted the kids for tea too.

Bringing Mrs Billy there next Saturday for birthday drinks (if Aer Lingus don't let me down with this rostering kerfuffle).

Pasta Pizza for birthday dins on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭billyhead

I must get down to Skerries to try out Ollie's.

My favourite restaurant at the moment is Sapphires in Rush. Love the food, and the staff treat us so well when we go there its very hard to pick anywhere else when we decide to go out!

Hi,

What would you suggest to have from the menu in Saphhires if you were to venture their?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

100% agree. Top Notch grub. Chicken Wings and Ribs are beautiful

Advertisement