Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dinner Tonight! Where to go? - Restaurant & Eating Out Recommendations for NCD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭PaulD77

Stheno wrote: »
    HB, please please do. I've gotten used to over the years of having to put up with condescending staff who ignore or don't pay attention to allergy information, and OH's daughter ends up eating chips.

Simon was the staff member we first dealt with when we went in together, and the chap tonight who was incredibly helpful was a tall skinny chap with curly hair, absolutely fantastic to deal with.

Ollies is one of very very few restaurants she can eat in without feeling she is putting the staff out, and she really really enjoyed it, she was absolutely full of praise for the food, the staff, and the entire night.

That's never happened before, her Dad and I were absolutely thrilled to see her enjoying a full two courses before declaring she was stuffed!

They have no email on their contact page, or I'd be sending a nice mail!

Being very nosy, does Ollie have two very small, and very blond curly haired kids?

Hi Stheno,
    Thanks for the feedback, Caroline follows the thread so will be well aware of your comments. Simon is the manager of Ollies place and the other guy is Rob. both great guys as you said. Caroline will also let them know your feedback. Glad you enjoyed it
    Paul

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

PaulD77 wrote: »
    Hi Stheno,
    Thanks for the feedback, Caroline follows the thread so will be well aware of your comments. Simon is the manager of Ollies place and the other guy is Rob. both great guys as you said. Caroline will also let them know your feedback. Glad you enjoyed it
    Paul

Thank you for passing that on. I've a couple of friends with allergy ridden children so we'll be passing on details of our lovely time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

PaulD77 wrote: »
    Hi Stheno,
    Paul

I hope I am not dragging this offline but generally interested in how you control potential allergens in your kitchen, its a very little understood area that effects many people out there and even large food companies struggle with it. Lets say I have a peanut allergy, how do you ensure that the salad I order has no peanuts or residue of peanuts?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,957 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

LeoB wrote: »
    Spoke to 2 people today who had lunch in Harbour bar Rush over week end and both thought it was very good, good portions and reasonably priced
    Maybe it's just me. Food is good but I find them excessively slow. I'm the type of person who will eat almost anything and like it thrown up to me as quick as possible - drives the OH bananas! If I had a restaurant I'd have a menu done out in cooking/serving times so people like me could order the fastest thing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I hope I am not dragging this offline but generally interested in how you control potential allergens in your kitchen, its a very little understood area that effects many people out there and even large food companies struggle with it. Lets say I have a peanut allergy, how do you ensure that the salad I order has no peanuts or residue of peanuts?
    I'm afraid that it is off-topic, but you could start a thread in Cooking & Recipes & maybe the professional chefs that post there would reply.

tHB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Anyone been to the Red Bank in Skerries recently?

At its best it was an absolutely superb seafood restaurant. It ran into financial difficulties (in common with many others) a year or two back, but its still plugging away.

I heard a couple of terrible reviews of it 5 or 6 months ago, so just wondering if anyone's been there recently?

I've been twice in the past couple of months - once for the 'early bird' & then the a la carte & I can't fault it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭jibberjive

Hi all,

We had a lovely meal last night in the new japanese restaurant opened in Malahide called Wasabi. There is a deal on living social €60 off total bill including drinks for €29.

<mod snip>

We had 12 pieces of sushi & 12 of sashimi, gyzos (dumpling), chicken kaarage & the best tuna dish ever, tuna tataki. All washed down with a bottle of house white, the bill came to €75. Only €44 with the token so really great value. Lovely to have a Japanese restuarant again in Malahide :)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

jibberjive wrote: »
    Hi all,

We had a lovely meal last night in the new japanese restaurant opened in Malahide called Wasabi. There is a deal on living social €60 off total bill including drinks for €29.

<mod snip>

We had 12 pieces of sushi & 12 of sashimi, gyzos (dumpling), chicken kaarage & the best tuna dish ever, tuna tataki. All washed down with a bottle of house white, the bill came to €75. Only €44 with the token so really great value. Lovely to have a Japanese restuarant again in Malahide :)

Thanks

I actually saw this offer this morning and didnt know there was a new Japenese restaurant open in Malahide. Dying to check it out all day, and I am quite happy to read this first review is very favourable. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

It sounds like ollies is somewhere we should visit. Is it child friendly, or do we need to visit sometime we've managed to abandon the children on someone else?

• Advertisement

seagull wrote: »
    It sounds like ollies is somewhere we should visit. Is it child friendly, or do we need to visit sometime we've managed to abandon the children on someone else?

Yes it is child friendly, there are a good few options for the kiddies on the menu!

It depends on when you want to go really. I regularly take my family there (kids are 10 & 5 yo), but usually early evening to avoid the drinking crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Pipmae

We went to Thai Gourmet in Balbriggan a few weeks ago. I was expecting it to be very quiet given that it was a Monday at around 7pm. But it was pleasantly busy. There were about 6 tables occupied plus ourselves. We brought our two older girls (age 7 and 5).

The food was absolutely gorgeous. Hubbie had chicken satay to start and I had the spare ribs. We shared them with the kids - we were lucky to get any - the kids mopped them up. Then I had a red chicken curry, hubbie had sweet and sour chicken and the kids had a chicken massaman curry between them. All three were fab (personally S&S chicken wouldn't be my thing but the hubbie said it was a lovely one).

The service was very good - not too in your face but there when you needed them. We ordered extra thai crackers because the kids loved them and they didn't charge us for them. Also the chicken massaman curry isn't on the menu but when we told the girl serving us that the kids like spicy food but we thought the red or green curry might be a bit spicy she suggested the massaman - the chef wouldn't mind making it for them. She was bang on - they loved it.

So thumbs up from us. I can't remember exactly how much that all was but I remember it being good value.:)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

seagull wrote: »

I've never been in Ollies past about half eight, and there always tend to be one or two families with children there.

Shout out here for Pink Elephant in Swords, it's a Thai restaurant.

We'd no plans apart from supervising the kids annual party, until OH got housebound.

Pink Elephant found us a table after we went off for a drink.

Fantastic food, and very good service.

While browsing the menu, I noticed they used potato flour in their gravy, and on a very busy night, got a lot of time from the manager when I asked about food the allergic OH's daughter can eat.

Another place we can go that she can have something other than steak and chips, will be trying it with her, but if the service and standard of food on a night like tonight is anything to go by, we'll be pleased.

They cater for gluten, dairy, egg and soy allergies. Similar to Ollies, but a little bit fancier which will be nice to introduce her to.

Ollies is still her favourite, but it may change once she goes here, and they will have a competitor!

Thanks for that Stheno. I keep meaning to try it but find it hard to pass Indie Spice. It is on my 'to do' list for 2013.:D I'll park the far end of the Plaza so I don't have to pass Indie Spice.;)

Sounds like your OH's daughter will enjoy it.:)

Pipmae wrote: »
    Thanks for that Stheno. I keep meaning to try it but find it hard to pass Indie Spice. It is on my 'to do' list for 2013.:D I'll park the far end of the Plaza so I don't have to pass Indie Spice.;)

Sounds like your OH's daughter will enjoy it.:)

We went out tonight all four of us, and couldn't have have a nicer evening.

I always avoided the place as it looks a bit fancy and it is in a way.

Anyway Oh's daughter loved her meal, the lady I spoke to on NYE remembered me and asked if it was OHs daughter with us and was the food good.

She then gave me loads of info on meals OHs daughter could have and how they cook each meal from scratch

We arrived in in time for the early bird, and starters, mains, tea/coffee for two, plus three starters (two of us were not mega hungry) was less than €80 including three soft drinks and two glasses of wine.

The courtesy of the service as well is to be admired

Ohs daughter will go back which we base as a good start for somewhere to eat, we'll go back based on the service, to be remembered given we arrived in on NYE and had a small chat is no small thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

New restaurant, on Skerries Harbour just opened.

http://www.myah.ie/

Wish them the best of luck,

so who from Boards DCN, will be the first to post a review??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Not sure if this has been mentioned already but myself and the GF have been going out to Whites in Stamullen now quite a bit.

Very reasonably priced.

Here is the menu

http://www.whytesofstamullen.com/menu.html

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Looking for some recommendations for a meal for about 30 (its a confirmation)
    Ive rang around but all the early bird menus are in or around the 20 yoyo mark:eek:
    Anyone got anything cheaper

• Advertisement

Ive rang around but all the early bird menus are in or around the 20 yoyo mark:eek:

Have you thought about hiring a function room and having a buffet? That might be cheaper?

Given it's a confirmation it's possible it's going to be a busy day anyway so prices will be up accordingly.

€20 is not bad for an early bird tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Id say the amount of people would be too small for a function room
    I think 20 is taking the p#%s for a two course meal
    The mains are mostly around the 10 mark and starters are mostly a fiver or thereabouts
    Thanks anyway though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Just a suggestion but have you asked the school where people tend to go? They'd usually have some idea where the meals tend to be held. Or the other parents?

That said, I know with all my cousins (all in different parts of the country) and with my own primary school class, most people didn't have the big communion style do for the confirmation. It was normally a meal with the immediate family, grandparents and godparents.

I don't think you'll get below €20 to be honest. Maybe it'd be an option to get together with a couple of your kid's friends' families and hire a function room and split the cost of a buffet?

I would recommend Whytes of Stamullen if you'd travel over the Dublin border. They have a function room and restaurant. I'd say you might be able to agree a set menu with them for a good price. It all depends what you want on the menu though.

Id say the amount of people would be too small for a function room
    I think 20 is taking the p#%s for a two course meal
    The mains are mostly around the 10 mark and starters are mostly a fiver or thereabouts
    Thanks anyway though

You could ask the likes of Wrights or the Old Schoolhouse in Swords. Wrights per se don't have a function room, but they've a couple of areas which are remote enough from the rest of it, they are small enough too that you wouldn't feel like there weren't enough of you. Old Schoolhouse has a couple of different sized function rooms.

Both do reasonable Sunday lunches, think about 15e for two courses, either starter/main or main/dessert

What area are you looking for Mr Patterson?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭October

robertpatterson,

How about Harveys in Balbriggan. Here is what their Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/cake.box.583#!/harvest.bar.1?fref=ts) says......

Now taking bookings for Confirmations & Communions. Adult Menu from €16.95, Child Menu €9.00 (Communion or Confirmation Child eats free).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

We had a meal in The Windmill in Skerries this evening. I ordered Lamb Shank and wasn't impressed: didn't fall of the bone, was grizzly with hard fat, and warm not hot. I sent it back and left early. Very disappointing.

I have tried Di Vino, Italian in Skerries about three times now since December and I am impressed with the menu and the food. Good quality and piping hot food each time I have eaten there.

We have also had take away from Pure Indian Restaurant in Rush a couple of times: good delivery time and they do a lovely curry.

Anyone eaten at the Bombay Indian Restaurant in Rush? I haven't tried it yet.

There's also a new Indian restaurant opened recently in Skerries on Stand Street. Anyone tried it yet? Any good?

I've eaten in Bombay Bistro in Rush a couple of times & think it is one of the higher standard Indian restaurants around.
    They also deliver to The Hills which is a big plus.

Mrs Billy & I visited Bombay House (sister restaurant of Pure Indian in Rush) last week & we both liked it. The food was good, but the service a little scrappy - to be expected as it was open less than a week at that stage. Big issue was that the restaurant was fecking freezing! We didn't hang around for dessert it was so cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

After reading so much about it here and on the recommendation of sNarah (a long time ago) the missus ad myself went to Whytes of Stamullen for some grub this evening.

The food was of a very good quality though the mains could perhaps have been a little larger in portion size. Staff were attentive and the setting was relaxing and pleasant. The bill with 3 cokes, 2 starters, 2 mains and 2 desserts came to a shade over €60 so more than reasonable.

We'll be off to Ollies in Skerries next time so that had better live up to the hype that THB has given it!

Advertisement