Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dinner Tonight! Where to go? - Restaurant & Eating Out Recommendations for NCD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

No hype. Just my opinion. I like the grub there & it is handy for a family meal. If you are looking to wine & dine a significant other - it may not be the ideal spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

hi All,

I am negotiating with the Carnegie Court Hotel, for a group outing in May, circa 50 persons.

their Courtyard Restaurant has a good Early Bird menu at 19.95pp seems good value.

Anyone care to share their experience eating here, as my group is a French Exchange and we need a good atmosphere, and food, not to mention Wine

Thanks for any comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

No hype. Just my opinion. I like the grub there & it is handy for a family meal. If you are looking to wine & dine a significant other - it may not be the ideal spot.

Pfft we're not fancy at all. Casual gets a thumbs up all the time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

martinn123 wrote: »
    hi All,

I am negotiating with the Carnegie Court Hotel, for a group outing in May, circa 50 persons.

their Courtyard Restaurant has a good Early Bird menu at 19.95pp seems good value.

Anyone care to share their experience eating here, as my group is a French Exchange and we need a good atmosphere, and food, not to mention Wine

Thanks for any comments.

I ate there once with the OH and wouldn't go back there if it was the last place in the entire of NCD to eat. It was dreadful imo, slow service, poor food and poor atmosphere.
    Pfft we're not fancy at all. Casual gets a thumbs up all the time.

You'll love Ollies then, when I go there with the OH we grab a booth, with his kids we get a bigger table, it's a great place.

Off there next weekend as a treat for his kids to mark his fiftieth. Really looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Well I went to Ollies today.God , The food, was YUMMMM.
    The service was excellent, couldnt fault it even if I tried.
    My 10 yer old loved the BUCKET of chips.

If I had to Gripe, it would be a really small thing, the high chairs for the babys, are lower then the tables.So she wasnt sitting up with us.
    Thats only really because the tables are up high if you know what I mean.Baby friendly??I wouldnt say, but perfect for anyone with older/No kids , with lots of time to just relax, sit eat, have a drink,
    (OH THE MEMORIES)

But to get back tt he food, 100% perfect.Served by a lovely chap, friendly and actuall listened to me harp on about the chips having to be int eh bucket, for the 10 year old.
    We had my moter in law with us, she loved it.
    Looking forward to going again, if anyone is free to babysit??????????
    All offers considered.:D

Now that Beasty isn't modding here any more - he may be free for baby-sitting duties. :pac:

I'm glad you had a nice time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

You aint the chef? Ah Fck I was sure it was you.

+ 1 for Ollie's. Been there a few times and never been disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Lads, Ollies, fantastic, gorgeous, best food ever

Caesar Salad - 12 out of 10
    Baby Back Ribs - 15 out of 10
    Chicken Wings - 100 out of 10
    Banoffee - Jaysus

Love the food here, highly recommended.

Feckin starvin now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Not sure about the banoofee.I think I'd better try it out tomorrow .....just in case your wrong . :p

• Advertisement

Tomorrow? I may see you there. I'll be popping in around 6 or so for a pint & some grub. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭cbreeze

martinn123 wrote: »
    New restaurant, on Skerries Harbour just opened.

http://www.myah.ie/

Wish them the best of luck,

so who from Boards DCN, will be the first to post a review??

MYAH (make yourself at home!) Tried them on a Wednesday night in February when we could not get a table in Stops. We two were the only customers Friends had been for lunch and dinner.

Pre dinner drinks were in the lower right hand space on comfortable sofas - there is a bar in the left hand side.

The restaurant is upstairs and all the bedrooms in the former house have been converted into one room.

As it was a cold night (when have they not been lately!) we opted for a potatoe and cheese soup - not a good idea because it was so good at filling us up, followed by a pasta dish/plaice fillets off the bone. Service good and prices reasonable. No room for afters. It will probably be the place to go to when the summer and brighter evenings come round.

Oh My Word - I have tasted the very best Irish breakfast I've ever had...... and I've eaten more than my fair share.

The missus and myself decided to head out for a bit of a ramble this morning. We didn't really know where we would go and if anywhere would be open for food. We ended up in Skerries, a place we don't know at all and walked down the main street in the hope that somewhere might be open for a bit of grub.

I'd never heard of it before but Seasons was open. We went in and I opted for the Irish breakfast (feck what she had- this is all about the breakfast).
    When it arrived I was a little disappointed as it consisted of two bacon, one sausage, one piece of black and white pudding and a portion of scrambled eggs with toast and butter. My disappointment was soon left behind when I tucked in. This was by and far the most flavorsome and incredible breakfast I have ever had. I'm delighted they sacrificed quantity over quality- it really was amazing. I'm not one for eating much bread and I'm not a fan of butter but wow- even the butter was moreish.

If you like an Irish breakfast and you've never been into this place then get yourself in there pronto. It was simply astounding and I can't wait to go back again. Nyom nyom nyom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Seasons isn't bad, but not what I would call amazing. To be fair the Irish breakfast isn't something I have or would ever order, so can't comment on that but I have had scrambled egg on toast, scones etc. I have never been overwhelmed. I have gone a few times always hoping for something to convince me but not so far. Service is often VERY slow and haphazard. The staff are all very friendly and polite but not the most dynamic! I have had stuff go cold while you wait for basic cutlery.

I don't think it lives up to the hype or the prices. I don't think I'll be tempted back again TBH.

Well Ted prior to this morning I'd never heard of the place so can't say I knew anything about hype or reputation. I love an Irish breakfast and have had many in varying places over the years. As I mentioned above I was merely gushing about the breakfast and nothing else. For me it quite possibly was the best breakfast I'd ever had and for a number of reasons:

A - They used some sort of ham instead of bacon. It was tender and full of flavour

B - The white pudding was perfect in all the right ways. Squishy and so very very tasty

C - I'm not a bread man, I eat very little of it and consequently I wouldn't eat much in the way of butter or margarine. I tend to care very little for it as a result. By golly though I'd have happily just eaten bread and butter for their butter was delicious. It had a flavour and smoothness I didn't know butter could possess.

So in light of all that Ted my comments stand. Perhaps I'll go back another day, try something new and it'll just be a plain Jane old piece of food. The thing is though the quality of breakfast has me hooked and I want to go back to try other things. I hope other items on the menu live up to the hope that the breakfast has now instilled in me.

I'll keep you informed.

Little Ted wrote: »
    Seasons isn't bad, but not what I would call amazing. To be fair the Irish breakfast isn't something I have or would ever order, so can't comment on that but I have had scrambled egg on toast, scones etc. I have never been overwhelmed. I have gone a few times always hoping for something to convince me but not so far. Service is often VERY slow and haphazard. The staff are all very friendly and polite but not the most dynamic! I have had stuff go cold while you wait for basic cutlery.

I don't think it lives up to the hype or the prices. I don't think I'll be tempted back again TBH.

I've not eaten there but I have bought food to take away - quite good. What I am definitely mad about is that in the summer when there are flies about they let the flies crawl all over the uncovered food. Yuk!

Just ordered from the Bombay Bistro in Rush- hoping it lives up to all the positive praise here.

Edit: The Onion Bhajees were fantastic and the mains delicious. Certainly found it nicer than Chutney in Skerries.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We went to Wright's in Swords for dinner tonight really enjoyed it. I'd never eaten there and was surprised at how good the food was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Amazing how little praise blue gets in this thread it is by far the best "gastro pub" in skerries probably even north county Dublin. Whe it's not helpful to compare the two I would put this far far higher then ollies.

Myself & Mrs Billy went to The Redbank for a meal at the weekend to celebrate our anniversary. It was a mixed bag really. We went for wine by the glass - only to find it was dire, so the only option was get a bottle, which we ended up leaving almost half.

We both had the same starter - hers was fine, mine wasn't. Her main was fantastic, I went for fish which wasn't fresh & was overcooked.

Not to the usual high standard. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

ragg wrote: »
    Amazing how little praise blue gets in this thread it is by far the best "gastro pub" in skerries probably even north county Dublin. Whe it's not helpful to compare the two I would put this far far higher then ollies.

At this point in time, I would agree with you re the Blue. We have eaten there a few times and everyone comes out happy.. Ollies and the Windmill on recent visits someone from the four of us has had a thumbs down meal.. so not overly keen on going back.

For me the best for dinner meals in Skerries are the Blue and Di Vino on Church Street.

I agree about Seasons being a good choice for morning coffee/breakfast. Try their juice of the day too, delicious!

Folks - Does anyone have any experience of Chopsticks in Skerries? Good, bad, indifferent?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Folks - Does anyone have any experience of Chopsticks in Skerries? Good, bad, indifferent?

Is that the (new?) place beside the windmill?

edit: before you get excited - I have no experience / knowledge. I can ask the missus though.

That's the one. Thinking of somewhere different from the usual haunts on Sat evening. We all need a bit of a diversion - it is been one of those months. :(

Then again, the kids might put their feet down & demand to go to Ollie's. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I went to Thai Gourmet in Balbriggan last night, and all I can say is WOW :)
    We were there a few years ago and it was only ok, but I'll be going back no question.
    The missus had ribs, and pad thai, I had tempura prawns and chicken green curry. Flawless, every bite.
    Got there at 7:50 and out at 8:45 which felt in no way rushed and was perfect as we were heading to the cinema.
    Staff were super friendly too.

I feel like I am gushing a bit here, but I was genuinely impressed, and it was at least 64 times better than the Siam Thai I had in town a few months ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Were in the Pink Elephant tonight, OmNomNom and great service as usual!

have tried the restaurant and the take away. both good - although take away takes a bit of time [good, because they are cooking from fresh]

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭yknaa

The new Indian 'Bombay House' in Skerries is really well worth a visit. It has taken over the old Tarragon premises. I've had 2 meals there and both were great. Lovely service and lovely food. They also do take away. Will be back.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

yknaa wrote: »
    The new Indian 'Bombay House' in Skerries is really well worth a visit. It has taken over the old Tarragon premises. I've had 2 meals there and both were great. Lovely service and lovely food. They also do take away. Will be back.

We had an Indian there last Friday and it was excellent. Mrs Fowl's Korma was perhaps a bit bland but other than that every thing was excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Went to Gourmet Burger in Swords Pavillions, after running very late with a couple of starving kids on my hands, and I must say found it very good. I wasn't aware it was there as it is tucked away from the main thoroughfare of the shopping centre, but after we spotted a sign, we decided to try it - glad we did.

Great service. We were offered and brought extra mayo, sauces, dips.. everything was fresh and the kids loved their burgers. The chips and garlic mayo were fresh and delicious - the nicest I have had in a while.

My only complaint is there was too much food and I was stuffed to the gills :P

Advertisement