Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dinner Tonight! Where to go? - Restaurant & Eating Out Recommendations for NCD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Just thought I would start this after reading it somewhere else.

There are so many places around now serving food we are spoilt for choice but not all are good so recommend a good place for a family meals and or a night out with the O.H.

Will kick off by recommending Kettles in Rolestown. I was there last week at a communion and it was very good. The was 20 of us and while the service could have been a little better the food was good with generous portions. The room we used was comfortable with plenty of space. Staff were friendly

Good value and would will go back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

I ate in Oscar Taylor's in Portmarnock for the carvery last week and it was gorgeous. The half portion was a full dinner and only €8!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

The early bird on Sunday's in the Carnegie Hotel in Swords is lovely and IMO great value for money.

I love mastersons steak house (also Swords), bit expensive but well worth it for a treat.

The the Chinese on the left just after you come into Donabate is lovely too - can't think of the name right now.

Also I really enjoyed the burger bar in malahide (can't think of it's exact name) just on the corner of the main traffic lights. Very very reasonable price for the food quality and quantity on offer and the place looks like a high class . Beautiful

Although expensive for bar food both Smyths (now Fowlers) in Malahide and the Cock Tavern (Swords) hold a special place for me... Think it boils down to their "south philly" :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

have to say i like the harbout bar for a bit of lunch and a quiet pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Was in the Thai restaurant beside the cinema in Balbriggan recently and thought the food was fantastic, would definitely recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Threads merged.

HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Lillylilly wrote: »
    I ate in Oscar Taylor's in Portmarnock for the carvery last week and it was gorgeous. The half portion was a full dinner and only €8!

Isn't that Malahide, not Portmarnock? Anyway I agree, love the food there, I always bring my parents there when they visit.

Still can't go wrong with Cape Greko in Malahide, I think they're sick of us at this stage! :)

Uriel that's the Diamond Burger Bar, pretty nice for a Burger bar alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Clare Bear wrote: »
    Isn't that Malahide, not Portmarnock? Anyway I agree, love the food there, I always bring my parents there when they visit.

Still can't go wrong with Cape Greko in Malahide, I think they're sick of us at this stage! :)

Uriel that's the Diamond Burger Bar, pretty nice for a Burger bar alright!

Certainly is Malahide. You could easily fall foul of some folk for that mistake!!!

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Threads merged.

HB

Thanks. Thought I had seen it her but unsure.

Hear great recommendations about the Harbour bar in Rush. In it last night for few minutes and was suprised at the amount of food they were serving. Will have to give it a try one of these days

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

blastman wrote: »
    Was in the Thai restaurant beside the cinema in Balbriggan recently and thought the food was fantastic, would definitely recommend it.

I heard good things about that too. Must try it out. Love Thai food.

My current favourite is Isabella's on the south strand (it's above Gerry's). Beautiful view of the islands. Super food (best pizza around IMO). Very reasonable.

• Advertisement

LeoB wrote: »
    Thanks. Thought I had seen it her but unsure.

Hear great recommendations about the Harbour bar in Rush. In it last night for few minutes and was suprised at the amount of food they were serving. Will have to give it a try one of these days

I would recommend the sea food chowder . you get it with a nice wedge of lemon and brown bread. ( goes well with a pint of guiness........ or orange squash , whatever your preferences ;);) )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We were over in Malahide on Saturday and had lunch in Cafe Provence for the first time. Amazing food :)

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭michelledoh

I was in the mood for thai food at the weekend so we went to Koh on the Millenium walkway. It was brilliant! The prices aren't to bad and the food is so fresh and tasty! I can't wait to go back! I love thai food: there are no heavy sauces and there are always so many vegetables that they have to be healthy for you!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 chickenrun2011

best place in malahide is chez sara.. i tiny wine bar on church st/rd in malahide. amazing food and great service!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭PaulD77

Come on Hill Billy, Im waiting for you to tell them about your favorite place to eat... :D

If I posted any more about The Grill @ Ollie's I'd have to ban myself for spamming. ;)

(Must start working my way through the new "Wings" menu! :))

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭The Rooster

billyhead wrote: »
    Hi,

What would you suggest to have from the menu in Saphhires if you were to venture their?

Billy, sorry, only saw this post today - 5 months later!

Not sure what to recommend, I get different things all the time and love it always. Must have been there 20 times and only got one main course I didnt like, which was a butter something or other. Too dry for me.

Starters are all good and have all the Asian old reliables, such as ribs, yuk sung, aromatic duck, etc. If you like spicy soup, you'll love the Hot & Sour Szechuan Soup.

For main courses, you have the mix and match page where you can put any meat with any sauce. On their special page there is a lovely King Prawn Chili dish, I'm also a fan of the Red or Green Thai currys. Oh and there's super mixed seafood creamy dish - its rich, but beautiful.

Restaurant staff are nearly all Malaysian, really nice and very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Moti Mahal Indian Restaurant in Georges Hill Balbriggan is very nice. They do a 3 course meal for two including a bottle of wine for €40.

Decided to risk it at that price and was very pleasantly surprised - lovely place and really good food. That special menu doesn't offer every main course but there is a fair choice on it. Will be going back:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

http://enjoymalahide.com/eating/premium/leaf_and_bean/index.html

I was in this new cafe (above) today and I just had to post about it. Such nice staff, absolutely lovely...I hate to say it but that's pretty rare in other cafes in Malahide. It's deceiving from the outside as it looks tiny but it goes way out the back with a lovely garden with lots of kids toys. The food was lovely and the young staff there just make the place. Lots of nice little touches too like real old china cups and teapots. It's new and only getting off the ground now just wanted to help it along with a good review. I really hope they do well.

I've nothing to do with the place whatsoever by the way, I just think they deserve the praise.

Went back to ollies in Skerries last night and it was superb.

The food was excellent well presented and the service was good.

BBQ Chicken wings were the nicest I have ever had. The sause they were garnished in was very tastey and not to strong. Had a burger which was delicious with beautiful cheddar cheese. The OH had all sorts but she said here keri teri chicken?? was excellent.

The portions were generous and the price was fair. There is a nice feel to the place, nice backgroud music and a mature clientele

Good value

• Advertisement

PaulD77 wrote: »
    Come on Hill Billy, Im waiting for you to tell them about your favorite place to eat... :D

Is he a shareholder? After reading H.Bs reviews I have made 2 visits. Discount for contributors here?:D

LeoB wrote: »
    Is he a shareholder?
    I need to do something with all those Swiss Francs. ;)

Actually, I was in Pasta Pizza the other evening with Mrs B & the kids. The grub was grand & the service was great. The pizzas went down a treat with the others, but my spicy prawns were so-so. The sticky-toffee puddings were superb though.

Hey all!

i dont actually go down main street that much as i go round the back way.,..... but i have noticed a new indian where the old good food cafe was.

anyone eaten there yet?

i think they will have stiff competition from the lads at bombay bistro.

we went there for a sit in with 2 friends and they thought it was best indian they had for ages!

so has anyone got anything from new indian?

I have not been in yet but a friend was in last night and said it was very good. Price, Quality and service were all very good.

I was in Blue Bar during the week and thought it was fairly good. The Mrs had a fish meal and said it was excellent. I had a burger with side salads and it was very good also.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Martron wrote: »
    Hey all!

i dont actually go down main street that much as i go round the back way.,..... but i have noticed a new indian where the old good food cafe was.

anyone eaten there yet?

i think they will have stiff competition from the lads at bombay bistro.

we went there for a sit in with 2 friends and they thought it was best indian they had for ages!

so has anyone got anything from new indian?

Hoping to try it soon and will report back if I do. We really are blessed at the moment with Bombay Bistro. The standard of food out of there is fantastic.

Hope the new place is good and does well too. Early reports on Facebook have been all positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

No connection with the place, but we got a gift voucher over Christmas for Tarragon in Skerries. Headed there with herself this evening and full marks for both quality (and locally sourced) food and service. We'll be back ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Nodster wrote: »
    No connection with the place, but we got a gift voucher over Christmas for Tarragon in Skerries. Headed there with herself this evening and full marks for both quality (and locally sourced) food and service. We'll be back ;)

Sounds interesting, what did you go for on the menu?

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

For starters - salt cod croquettes on a bed of beetroot leaves, mains - one of the nicest char-grilled 10oz rib-eye Angus steaks [medium/well done] to date with peppercorn sauce, hand-cut chips :eek: and veg, seeing that I don't have a sweet tooth in my head I finished with three large scoops of vinilla ice-cream [one scoop too many!] No delays and all served with a friendly smile. Nice touch was the plate of home-made parsnip and potato chips plus a couple of mini bacon and cheese scones for nibbles as soon as we entered. No room for a few post dinner pints in The Snug (Ollies new bar on New Street), just a ramble back to the train station and the short ride home to Balbriggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

About 40 of us hit the waterside hotel last friday night.Absolutly a great night, food was to die for , we are all going back for another helping.Oh the shame, me up dancing like a teenager:o

• Advertisement

Am hoping to go to the new Windmill Seafood & Steakhouse in Skerries this weekend. Will be dropping Mrs Billy a hint or two about it as a birthday treat.

If it is anything like The Grill @ Ollies (same proprietor) it should live up to expectation.

Advertisement