Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dinner Tonight! Where to go? - Restaurant & Eating Out Recommendations for NCD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows if Harveys Balbriggan is open on Tuesdays?

I walked by last night and it was closed.
    Is it usually open during the week, or only weekends?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭October

Harveys are closed on Tuesdays. There is a little sign in the display unit with the menus saying this. It is open every other day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

Thanks for the reply October ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Had a lovely meal in The Greedy Goose in Malahide last night, they have a selection of tasting menu's with three courses for €20€25 or €30 depending on which menu you choose. You can also order individually from the a la carte.

Service was very good, very friendly, and they were very accomodating to my partner's fussiness over food.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Heard from 2 people today Bel Cibo in Rush is first class. Its over the Michael Collins where Sopranos used to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Was in Cruzzo's Malahide last night. Place was absolutely jammers, but the food was very disappointing. Would not rush back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Was in Cruzzo's Malahide last night. Place was absolutely jammers, but the food was very disappointing. Would not rush back.

Yeah I think Cruzzo's has a better name than it deserves. Personally not a huge fan of the place at all. Can't knock Giovanni's or Cape Greko myself, lovely food and good service.
    nouggatti wrote: »
    Had a lovely meal in The Greedy Goose in Malahide last night, they have a selection of tasting menu's with three courses for €20€25 or €30 depending on which menu you choose. You can also order individually from the a la carte.

Service was very good, very friendly, and they were very accomodating to my partner's fussiness over food.

Funny, have heard absolutely nothing but bad things about that place from anyone I know that's been there. You're the first that has praised it, glad you enoyed the meal though.

Seems to me a lot of places are living on reputation.

Michael B Quote, Funny, have heard absolutely nothing but bad things about that place from anyone I know that's been there. You're the first that has praised it, glad you enoyed the meal though. End quote

Are our restaurants inclined to lie back once they are up and running or are we just spoilt for choice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

LeoB wrote: »
    Seems to me a lot of places are living on reputation.

Michael B Quote, Funny, have heard absolutely nothing but bad things about that place from anyone I know that's been there. You're the first that has praised it, glad you enoyed the meal though. End quote

Are our restaurants inclined to lie back once they are up and running or are we just spoilt for choice?

Possibly. I don't know, I go on word of mouth or good past experiences usually and when I hear from numerous people that a place is bad then I won't go there. Then again if a restaurant is really that bad how can they keep in business so some people must be fans of them. Maybe just not the people I know :) Though that Greedy Goose did get pretty bad reviews in general on menupages.ie too.

Yeah suppose its all down to one's "taste" no pun intended. Best meal I have had in Malahide was in a Chinese across from Gibneys that was a few years ago

The most recent good meal was in the "Snail box" which is just down from Kilmoon Cross on the Ashbourne - Slane Road the N2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I hear that Caroline Lacey, formerly of the Lifeboat restaurant over by the harbour, has taken over the food in Ollie's Place from last weekend. Has anyone been in? Is she still doing her cracking spicy wings?

I thoroughly enjoyed the grub in the Lifeboat & expect the same now in Ollie's. Best of luck to her & I can't wait to get home & pop in next weekend (wife & kids permitting :o).

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Hear, hear, had to be the best wings in NCD. Nearly a meal on their own.What happened to the Lifeboat anyway, we loved that place, had some fantastic meals there.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Hey Guys,

I went to the Indian Curry Club in Kilbarrack on Saturday after the Dublin match with the girlfriend.

I have to say i was well impressed,

For starters we had

4 poppodoms with chutney

Then for our mains we had

1 lamb bhuna
    1 chicken Madras
    2 nan breads
    and a portion of rice

Plus 2 pints of heineken and 2 glasses of wine.

All in all came to 50 quid! Bloody good value

Granted its not a fancy looking restaurant, but hey thats half the charm tbh and the food was delicious. Really tender chicken, and lovely breads!

I shall be going again

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭PaulD77

Hill Billy wrote: »
    I hear that Caroline Lacey, formerly of the Lifeboat restaurant over by the harbour, has taken over the food in Ollie's Place from last weekend. Has anyone been in? Is she still doing her cracking spicy wings?

I thoroughly enjoyed the grub in the Lifeboat & expect the same now in Ollie's. Best of luck to her & I can't wait to get home & pop in next weekend (wife & kids permitting :o).

Hey HB, if the question was are wife & Kids allowed, well of course they are! Just so people know, they are open for lunch now too.

Well, it was more from the point of view that I don't get out to the boozer that often when I am home (I work away all week), but it is good to know all the same. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Ate over in Ollies Skerries yesterday. The chef from the Lifeboat has taken over the food there. Lovely stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

The OH had a takeaway from the relatively new Indian restaurant/takeaway in Balbriggan, called Moti Mahal. The ingrediants used tasted fresh and the vindaloo was as hot as can be expected! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

The OH had a takeaway from the relatively new Indian restaurant/takeaway in Balbriggan, called Moti Mahal. The ingrediants used tasted fresh and the vindaloo was as hot as can be expected! :eek:

Had a sit in meal there and the food was lovely

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Where abouts is it??

Always on the look out for a good Indian ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭billyhead

Folks,

Has anyone here ate in the Saphhires restaurant in Rush lately and if so would you recommend anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭dubmick

RobFowl wrote: »
    Where abouts is it??

Always on the look out for a good Indian ;)

Geroge's Hill, above the old Post Office. It was called Chilli Flake for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Nando's chicken in the pavillions :p Sweet jebus it was amazing id advise not to go for the burger or wrap if there is two of ye go for the whole chicken with 2 large sides 26 euro

AMAZING
    AMAZING
    AMAZING

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

luckyfrank wrote: »
    Nando's chicken in the pavillions :p Sweet jebus it was amazing id advise not to go for the burger or wrap if there is two of ye go for the whole chicken with 2 large sides 26 euro

AMAZING
    AMAZING
    AMAZING

Have to agree here, had the platter over the weekend and it was just delicious...... I will go back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Ate in The Grill @ Ollies in Skerries last night and it's like The Lifeboat never left.

Chicken wings were brilliant as usual. The way they have the extra sauce for the wings to swim in is bloody great!

I had the ribs for main course and Mrs DCR had the chicken roulade (the pesto mash was bloody gorgeous).

To pass this off as pub grub would be an insult to the chef, this is top quality nosh and great value into the bargain.

Can't wait to go back again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

well went to the new cafe . where the sydov used to be.

its called the thatch.

to say i was shocked was an understatement. the decr is very glamourous. i went with the girlfriend. she thought it was lovely. very sex and the city style.

i had coffee and cheese cake. pretty standard but lovely also.

there seems to be a special main and soup every day and there is a small selection of sandwichs and cakes on the menu.

the whole place is very well presented and clean. the staff seemed friendly and the place was humming with activity.

i dont think i will frequent it much as its a bit " flowery" but the girlfriend loves it and i would say its marketted towrds "ladies that lunch"

Where is this place?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

its lets say the harbour side of the micheal collins between dolmac language centre

in rush for those other non rush NCD residents!!:D:D

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Where is this place?

Its in the home of Jack the batchelor and the late great Matt Sands the International Cyclist

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

dcr22B wrote: »
    Ate in The Grill @ Ollies in Skerries last night and it's like The Lifeboat never left.

Chicken wings were brilliant as usual. The way they have the extra sauce for the wings to swim in is bloody great!

I had the ribs for main course and Mrs DCR had the chicken roulade (the pesto mash was bloody gorgeous).

To pass this off as pub grub would be an insult to the chef, this is top quality nosh and great value into the bargain.

Can't wait to go back again!

Went to Ollies myself last night, been searching for good wings locally for years. Have to say the wings are top notch.

Had a mighty tasty burger as well, washed down with 2 pints of Fishers Helles which is mighty tasty too.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Went to Ollies myself last night, been searching for good wings locally for years. Have to say the wings are top notch.

Had a mighty tasty burger as well, washed down with 2 pints of Fishers Helles which is mighty tasty too.

Good to hear, good chicken wings are a rarity. Whats Fishers Helles? Anyone asked yet if they use Irish Chicken? Irish as in the 26 counties.

Advertisement