Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arguement RE: Mopping

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

I think the OP is presuming there are other tools available for the job.
    Did he for example, give the apprentice a deck scrub?
    No?
    Very well, then i suggest this method:
    Fill the mop bucket with hot water and suds (whatever cleaning agent you prefer)
    Swish the mop around in it and without squeezing any water, lash it onto the floor. The idea is to cover the floor with the sudzy water then let it steep for like 5 minutes.
    Then rinse your mop, wring out excess water and use it as a scrubber and drying tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I've actually seen a guy cleaning a mop by flushing it in the toilet. Thank god he wasn't cleaning the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

2 stroke wrote: »
    As I read things you allocated an employee to duties he wasn't trained to do .

Trained to do? I asked him to clean the floor, it's not ****ing brain surgery.
    Accident with the chemicals, slipped on wet floor? Are you serious. Get a grip.
    2 stroke wrote:
    I've actually seen a guy cleaning a mop by flushing it in the toilet. Thank god he wasn't cleaning the kitchen.
    And I suppose that was his bosses fault for not 'training him properly'?

It's bad enough the people can get to this age nowadays barely knowing howto wipe their own arse, but you are actually trying to justify such bull****.
    Hahah, you're priceless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

I did a hell of a lot of mopping when I worked in this bar/lounge/restraunt/function room place my technique was as follows:

Fill the industrial mop bucket with boiling water (from boiler used to make tea).
    Add some stuff from a can (cleaning agent or whatnot)
    Take mop (cleaned after last mopping) and dunk into the boiling water.
    Use the squeezy thing (which had a handle) to squeeze out as much water as possible, the mop looks semi dry and has steam coming off it.
    Mop the floor and as you do the floor drys almost immediately.
    Making the floor very clean and meant that people coming along after would not wreck your floor.

Plenty of surfaces would not appreciate a rough scrubing with a brush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Kharn wrote: »
    Having been a hotel worker for 4 years, my method involved near boiling water and sometimes a cleaning agent (unless it was a marble floor in which case you had a film of the cleaner left on the surface which meant you had to "buff" it out) and a CLEAN mop (this one is hard to fathom that people don't think it important). By using really hot water, like Blitzy mentioned, the floor dries in no time (point of reference, if you're familiar with the Alexander Hotel in Merrion Square, I used to have that floor in the lobby mopped and dry in 10 minutes and it always sparkled).

Also, it baffles me as to why people would use the same mop on a kitchen floor as a bathroom floor. This is actually against the law in the service industry, but the logic of it shouldn't require a law.

Then you'd get the new lads who'd take the greasy mop from the kitchen and ruin the lovely marble floor with it... :rolleyes:

I couldn't agree more! The most important part is the clean mop, otherwise all your efforts have been in vain. I used to use very hot water also, it was great because the floor would be dry in moments. Less chance of a customer slipping on it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Op I get what your saying about the mop being used for drying but Im afraid Websters dictionary disagrees

Main Entry:
    Pronunciation:
    \ˈmäp\
    Function:
    noun
    Etymology:
    Middle English mappe
    Date:
    15th century

1: an implement made of absorbent material fastened to a handle and used especially for cleaning floors 2: something that resembles a mop; especially : a thick mass of hair

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

What sort of apprenticeship is this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

So what say yee, Boarsdsters. How do you mop yours?

I'll ask Miss Mairt as soon as she finishes washing the window's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Here's one for all to take part in.

In work yesterday, I allocated an apprentice to cleaning duties and told him to clean the canteen area. When I went in for an inspection I found that he had mopped it, but that he and I have some very different views of what mopping a floor involves.
    All I could see was a layer of water covering every inch of the floor. And a bucket with now dirty water and a now dirty mop resting in.
    I asked him what he did and he told me that he filled the bucket with warm soapy water and essentially ran the mop over the floor.

I insisted that this was the wrong way to do it.
    To be fair the guy mopped up so what are you moaning about, if his style of mopping isn't up to your standards well you should of shown him how you do it :rolleyes:, or even better instead of trying to save a few euro hire qualified cleaning staff.
    My god if you moan about something like that you must be a right old git to work for, your lucky he didn't smack you one !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Quite simply: mopping is a required part of "scrubbing a floor" but scrubbing is not a required part of "mopping a floor".

• Advertisement

farohar wrote: »
    Quite simply: mopping is a required part of
    "scrubbing a floor" but scrubbing is not a required part of "mopping a floor".

again not according to Webster's on-line dictionary its not

mopping
    One entry found.
    Function:
    verb
    Inflected Form(s):
    mopped; mop·ping
    Date:

transitive verb1: to use a mop on; specifically : to clean or clear away by mopping <mop the floors> —often used with up<mop up the spillage> 2: to wipe as if with a mop <mopped his brow with a handkerchief>intransitive verb: to clean a surface (as a floor) with a mop

Jackz wrote: »
    Plenty of surfaces would not appreciate a rough scrubing with a brush.

You're absoloutly right. But in this case, it's the canteen of a garage. It's a tough floor that can get very filthy, very quickly, with some tough dirt if it's neglected or not done properly.

And as many people are pointing out, the clean mop is the most important part. And I am pointing out that if it is done in this half assed way, then there is no way te mop is clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Rob_l wrote: »

mopping
    One entry found.
    Function:
    verb
    Inflected Form(s):
    mopped; mop·ping
    Date:

transitive verb1: to use a mop on; specifically : to clean or clear away by mopping <mop the floors> —often used with up<mop up the spillage> 2: to wipe as if with a mop <mopped his brow with a handkerchief>intransitive verb: to clean a surface (as a floor) with a mop

That doesn't disprove what I said, there's no mention of scrubbing being a part of mopping there.:p

Rob_l wrote: »

mopping
    One entry found.
    Function:
    verb
    Inflected Form(s):
    mopped; mop·ping
    Date:

That may be but the dictionary describes that it has to be made of an absorbant material....why is that? I would say it is to absorb all the water after you've cleaned the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

to the OP: i would suggest attending a training course on staff management and communication. as already suggested, if you want him to deck scrub the floor you tell him to "deck scrub" it, not "mop".

as for the best methods of cleaning floors, deck scrubbing would be pretty pointless on some floors, especially wooden floors. mopping is all down to the mop head used, not just how clean it is. some mop head fibre types don't actually pick up dirt effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I'm with the apprentice.

I brush up surface dirt first cos a mop just spreads that around.

Then soapy water, squeeze excess out. Mop floor vigorously. This cleans away ANY every day stain/spillage on normal moppable floor that I've ever had the pleasure of mopping. The floor does not get soaked and dries quickly.

One question I'd like answered is apart from the excess water was the floor dirty after the lad mopped it? What gets split on your canteen floor that requires a scrubbing everyday?

EDIT: And yeah, you want it scrubbed you tell the lad to scrub it then mop it. I'd be thinking you were just being an awkward boss if you pulled me up about not scrubbing the floor after I mopped it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,755 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi! I'm Barry Scott!!!
    Get your apprentice to use Cillit Grime & Lime!
    Just rinse & the dirt is gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭Archeron

Whatever happened to the old trick of pouring Bovril all over the floor and then getting your neighbours dog to come in and lick it clean? Let him do all the hard work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Why didn't you ask him to scrub the floor and mop it when he was finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

Here's one for all to take part in.

In work yesterday, I allocated an apprentice to cleaning duties and told him to clean the canteen area. When I went in for an inspection I found that he had mopped it, but that he and I have some very different views of what mopping a floor involves.
    All I could see was a layer of water covering every inch of the floor. And a bucket with now dirty water and a now dirty mop resting in.
    I asked him what he did and he told me that he filled the bucket with warm soapy water and essentially ran the mop over the floor.

I insisted that this was the wrong way to do it.

When I was thought how to clean/mop a floor many many years ago in my first job as a lounge boy, the method was, we used soapy water and a brush to 'scrub' the floor, then used a clean mop to DRY the floor. Squeezing the dirty water out of the mop and into the bucket.
    It is my understanding that a mop is drying utensil/tool, not a cleaning or scrubing tool.

All this went straight over the lads head so I had to explain it to him as such (and in case anyone else would take his side, you should take note of this too)...if this is the way they have been doing it for some time now, then we can guarantee that the mop is filthy. And he is continuously dipping it into pregressivly dirtier water, and then spreading a layer of it over the already dirty floor. Whats more, since he doesn't use a mop to dry the floor, that means that this layer of filth water just stays there untill it dries itself. Then gathering more filth off peoples feet as they walk over it in some cases.

So what say yee, Boarsdsters. How do you mop yours?

I mop the same way as you.

I'm a great mopper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Hi! I'm Barry Scott!!!
    Get your apprentice to use Cillit Grime & Lime!
    Just rinse & the dirt is gone!
    Priceless post Hill Billy. Absolute classic. Thanks! :D

to the OP: i would suggest attending a training course on staff management and communication. as already suggested, if you want him to deck scrub the floor you tell him to "deck scrub" it, not "mop".
    I never told him to 'deck scrub', nor did I tell him to 'mop'.

I told him to clean the area, floor included. It is commonly agreed upon that water would be needed to clean the floor. Then the floor would need to be dried. It's pretty ****ing simple.
    Christ.
    Is the simple task of cleaning a floor now a thing of the past?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

A not uncommon problem with using the deck scrub is it has the potential of spraying dirty water up onto the sideboards along walls.
    Due to the vigorous scrubbing motion commonly achieved.
    This is avoided when using the mop-only method (wetting the floor, letting it steep before drying)

farohar wrote: »
    That doesn't disprove what I said, there's no mention of scrubbing being a part of mopping there.:p

Huh thats a definition of mopping and scrubbing isn't included because that would be under a definition of scrubbing so seeing as scrubbing has nothing to do with mopping its not included in the original definition I gave :confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

You say it's the canteen area of a garage. When would you ever learn how to "clean" a floor like that? i know my house doesn't have one. If it was his first time ever cleaning that floor then he has an excuse.
    I've worked a few places where i've had to mop the floor and it only in one of them was i required to scrub the floor.

You say it's the canteen area of a garage. When would you ever learn how to "clean" a floor like that? i know my house doesn't have one. If it was his first time ever cleaning that floor then he has an excuse.
    I've worked a few places where i've had to mop the floor and it only in one of them was i required to scrub the floor.

And I think it's ****ing retarded that he is 19 and this is his first taste of the real world. It leaves me wondering if his mammy dresses him too.

Or do they just live in filth....

But that's not the point here really, ultimatly I was looking for a unanimous (sp?) confirmation on what is the proper way to use a mop. Or clean a floor.

Really bit off more then I can chew here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

But that's not the point here really, ultimatly I was looking for a unanimous (sp?) confirmation on what is the proper way to use a mop. Or clean a floor.

I think most people would use a mop for cleaning a floor and not drying. With a bit of muscle you can remove most dirt and stains with a wet mop. But alot of places do use a mop for drying after using a deck scrub.
    So i think there are two ways to use a mop not just one i don't think one is wrong and the other right ... it depends on the situation :)

You're all crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭milli

I think most people would use a mop for cleaning a floor and not drying. With a bit of muscle you can remove most dirt and stains with a wet mop. But alot of places do use a mop for drying after using a deck scrub.
    So i think there are two ways to use a mop not just one i don't think one is wrong and the other right ... it depends on the situation :)

Out of curiosity what exactly is a deck scrub?!

• Advertisement

It's a hand held brush that requires the user to get on thier knees and use both hands to scrub the floor or 'deck' of a ship.

Advertisement