Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arguement RE: Mopping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Seniordingdong, I couldn't help but notice that on another forum, you had an accident involving a pitchfork and a gas pipe. Should you not be asking what the correct method is, to avoid such a life-threatening problem, rather than look for support on a mop-related matter? If you had used a mop to dig the garden, it may have taken a lot longer, but you wouldn't have been landed with a repair bill.:)

What's life threatening about puncturing a gas line with a pitchfork?

Terry, his apprenticeship is in refrigeration. Why does that matter?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

maybe you were smoking?

Even if I was it wouldn't have been a risk.

A gas line puncture really isn't the disaster Hollywood has made it out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Even if I was it wouldn't have been a risk.

A gas line puncture really isn't the disaster Hollywood has made it out to be.

Pitchfork, pipe, rock, spark, boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom!

Then say hello to the guys on the International Space Station, as you fly past them................................:p

No.
    It's a domestic gasline for cryin out loud.

• Advertisement

Must be time to retreat into my underground blast-proof bunker.

Good.
    Stay there.

I'll have to mop it out first, haven't been in there for a while. Any hints?:p

Yep.
    I refer you to my op.

Thanks, I'll get me coat and a bucket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Thats like mechanical eng cert..So he really does know his Material science. cool job, but then you say...
    If you want to graft you have to be a scrubber first.?
    Are we talking qualifications from UNI and if so then he why does he have to be a scrubber.
    Is this true senordingdong.
    I will say If anyone has been to bolton street you will realise senordingdong has a point.It never looks clean. Some of those tools have seen years of dirt.But you cant blame the apprentice for that or can you? Should there be a module on housekeeping (including scrubbing) on these courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

What's life threatening about puncturing a gas line with a pitchfork?

I had my first proper job when I was 16. I was a glorified labourer (if there is such a thing0.
    Basically I was the tea boy for 100 guys on a site.

One of my tasks included mopping the floors of the three cabins after they had their breaks.

Picture guys walking in with boots covered in mud, rinsing their (clean) cups with water from the burko and throwing it on the floor, thus creating an even dirtier floor.

It took an hour to clean all three floors and it had to be done four times a day.
    The thing is, it was my job. I wasn't an apprentice. I was employed to clean up after these guys (among other tasks).

As far as I can see here, you are just taking the piss out of some kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Sundrive

well i did complete a mechanical technician cert course @ the very famous Bolton St DIT, then graduated to moping floors in bars for 5 years, never had any complaints, you too can be a sucess story!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

*Lols @ ops mopping skillz and thread in general*

Terry wrote: »
    The thing is, it was my job. I wasn't an apprentice. I was employed to clean up after these guys (among other tasks).

As far as I can see here, you are just taking the piss out of some kid.

Respect, Thats hard work, When I worked in construction we had to take turns cleaning the canteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Here's one for all to take part in.

In work yesterday, I allocated an apprentice to cleaning duties and told him to clean the canteen area. When I went in for an inspection I found that he had mopped it, but that he and I have some very different views of what mopping a floor involves.
    All I could see was a layer of water covering every inch of the floor. And a bucket with now dirty water and a now dirty mop resting in.
    I asked him what he did and he told me that he filled the bucket with warm soapy water and essentially ran the mop over the floor.

I insisted that this was the wrong way to do it.

When I was thought how to clean/mop a floor many many years ago in my first job as a lounge boy, the method was, we used soapy water and a brush to 'scrub' the floor, then used a clean mop to DRY the floor. Squeezing the dirty water out of the mop and into the bucket.
    It is my understanding that a mop is drying utensil/tool, not a cleaning or scrubing tool.

All this went straight over the lads head so I had to explain it to him as such (and in case anyone else would take his side, you should take note of this too)...if this is the way they have been doing it for some time now, then we can guarantee that the mop is filthy. And he is continuously dipping it into pregressivly dirtier water, and then spreading a layer of it over the already dirty floor. Whats more, since he doesn't use a mop to dry the floor, that means that this layer of filth water just stays there untill it dries itself. Then gathering more filth off peoples feet as they walk over it in some cases.

So what say yee, Boarsdsters. How do you mop yours?

Is he an apprentice mopper or cleaner of any kind? If not, why are you giving him ****ty jobs and then moaning about them?

I remember years ago working in a Spar shop and a guy gave me a brush to scrub the floor, 25 seconds later Spar needed to hire a new staff member cos they were down one. You seem like one of these "I'm in charge, do what I say and what I say is right" types.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

How on earth does a thread on mopping get 106 replies?? :confused:

It's a novelty for most of the people on this forum. They think that Manual Labour is some Spanish guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Warm soapy water, with something like Dettol in it too.

Dip mop in water, squeeze excess water out, clean floor.

Then when you're done, empty the mop bucket and clean the mop head.

this is how to mop.
    why is this thread still going?

nobody mops anymore anyway, buy one of those squeegee mop thingies

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It's a novelty for most of the people on this forum. They think that Manual Labour is some Spanish guy.
    lol spanish guy! ha HA

Thought you had left ejmaztec now I see your jacket back on the coat stand.
    Now that your back get down on your hands and knees and scrub the forum.
    Yep He sounds like a very mean version of taylors law of scrubbing, but a sound chap I am sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

faceman wrote: »
    How on earth does a thread on mopping get 106 replies?? :confused:
    Most people here havbe never done any manual labour and are shocked at what it entails.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I was always told to use the mop and scrub hard with it, then to get a sweeping brush with a floor cloth to dry.

if I'd been told to get on my hands and knees and use a scrubbing brush.. I'd probably have set fire to the place.

pirelli wrote: »
    lol spanish guy! ha HA

Thought you had left ejmaztec now I see your jacket back on the coat stand.
    Now that your back get down on your hands and knees and scrub the forum.
    Yep He sounds like a very mean version of taylors law of scrubbing, but a sound chap I am sure.

I resurfaced after the searing flames and explosion.
    Mordeth wrote: »
    if I'd been told to get on my hands and knees and use a scrubbing brush.. I'd probably have set fire to the place.

Senordingdong will provide the fire, courtesy of his pitch-fork/gas-pipe routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

This just gets better and better. Why on earth would anybody be digging with a pitchfork.

Don't tell him that I told you - sssshhhhh! I'm off!!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055215075

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I saw it already, had to check that he actualy called it a pitchfork. Thing is he's not the only one to make the mistake, it's actualy difficult to find a pic of a real pitchfork on google images. There could be scope for another thread on how to use your pitchfork.

2 stroke wrote: »
    I saw it already, had to check that he actualy called it a pitchfork. Thing is he's not the only one to make the mistake, it's actualy difficult to find a pic of a real pitchfork on google images. There could be scope for another thread on how to use your pitchfork.

When it comes to the correct usage of a pitchfork, I' m certain that there's at least one certified pitchfork anorak on these boards. Alas, I don't think that Senordindong attended the Pitchfork Academy. He was probably too busy attending a mop trade-fair.

Ok, first things first people, when digging up a garden, a pitch fork will be needed to loosen the soil. Get a grip.

Secondly, the lad is an apprentice.
    It is a common practice that apprentices in any company are made to do the ****ty jobs like making the tea, fetching the lunch and you guessed it, cleaning the premises.
    If you disagree ask any qualified/unqualified trades man on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Here's one for all to take part in.

In work yesterday, I allocated an apprentice to cleaning duties and told him to clean the canteen area. When I went in for an inspection I found that he had mopped it, but that he and I have some very different views of what mopping a floor involves.
    All I could see was a layer of water covering every inch of the floor. And a bucket with now dirty water and a now dirty mop resting in.
    I asked him what he did and he told me that he filled the bucket with warm soapy water and essentially ran the mop over the floor.

I insisted that this was the wrong way to do it.

When I was thought how to clean/mop a floor many many years ago in my first job as a lounge boy, the method was, we used soapy water and a brush to 'scrub' the floor, then used a clean mop to DRY the floor. Squeezing the dirty water out of the mop and into the bucket.
    It is my understanding that a mop is drying utensil/tool, not a cleaning or scrubing tool.

All this went straight over the lads head so I had to explain it to him as such (and in case anyone else would take his side, you should take note of this too)...if this is the way they have been doing it for some time now, then we can guarantee that the mop is filthy. And he is continuously dipping it into pregressivly dirtier water, and then spreading a layer of it over the already dirty floor. Whats more, since he doesn't use a mop to dry the floor, that means that this layer of filth water just stays there untill it dries itself. Then gathering more filth off peoples feet as they walk over it in some cases.

So what say yee, Boarsdsters. How do you mop yours?

You're wrong and the "Apprentice" is correct. Obviously a brush can be used for cleaning hard to get stains, but essentially - Hot water, cleaning product, Dip Mop, squeeze, clean floor, and repeat.

Proof that you're wrong: http://housekeeping.about.com/od/surfacefloors/ht/howtomop.htm

It's ont he net, that must be the right way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

In soviet Russia FLOOR MOP YOU!

Advertisement