Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arguement RE: Mopping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

OP, you seem to have a problem with your employee. Just because he didn't mop the floor your way doesn't mean he's a spoiled idiot who can't function in the real world.

I've done loads of crappy cleaning jobs in school and college, including in a 5 star hotel in Paris, and I've never in my life seen anyone cleaning a floor your way. You either hoover or brush the floor to get rid of dirt/mess, then fill your bucket with boiling water and detergent , dip it in the water, wring it out and wipe the floor with it. Why on earth would you need to dry the floor? So long as you don't leave massive puddles, the floor will dry on its own in about 15 minutes. I've never seen anyone using a mop to *dry* the floor, and if I were your employee, I'd be annoyed that you expected things to be done your way without explaining what your way was. It is NOT the way most people clean a floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    Why on earth would you need to dry the floor? .

Are you serious? Why would you need to dry the floor?
    How about because it's ****ing dangerous? And if you had read the original post you would see that the floor was left soaked, with DIRTY water. Jesus.
    Besides the fact that somebody could slip on it and break their neck, where is the ****ing sense in a wet floor?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Here's one for all to take part in.

In work yesterday, I allocated an apprentice to cleaning duties and told him to clean the canteen area. When I went in for an inspection I found that he had mopped it, but that he and I have some very different views of what mopping a floor involves.
    All I could see was a layer of water covering every inch of the floor. And a bucket with now dirty water and a now dirty mop resting in.
    I asked him what he did and he told me that he filled the bucket with warm soapy water and essentially ran the mop over the floor.

I insisted that this was the wrong way to do it.

When I was thought how to clean/mop a floor many many years ago in my first job as a lounge boy, the method was, we used soapy water and a brush to 'scrub' the floor, then used a clean mop to DRY the floor. Squeezing the dirty water out of the mop and into the bucket.
    It is my understanding that a mop is drying utensil/tool, not a cleaning or scrubing tool.

All this went straight over the lads head so I had to explain it to him as such (and in case anyone else would take his side, you should take note of this too)...if this is the way they have been doing it for some time now, then we can guarantee that the mop is filthy. And he is continuously dipping it into pregressivly dirtier water, and then spreading a layer of it over the already dirty floor. Whats more, since he doesn't use a mop to dry the floor, that means that this layer of filth water just stays there untill it dries itself. Then gathering more filth off peoples feet as they walk over it in some cases.

So what say yee, Boarsdsters. How do you mop yours?
    One should always brush the floor before either moping or scrubbing it.

To clean the floor one uses a mop with hot water and some dettol or whatever. It is best to use a towel to dry the floor afterwards so as to avoid customers slipping on the floor. It also takes up extra dirt.

If the floor is very dirty then one should scrub the floor. Scrubbing a floor involves a wire brush to scrub the floor then picking up the dirt and excess water with a mop. Even if the floor is not always very dirty, scrubbing should be done every so often.

IMO the OP should appologise to the apprentice for being incorrect and for thinking he/she is a know-it-all. Then the OP should be the one to scrub and mop the entire canteen and see how he/she likes it.

axer wrote: »
    If the floor is very dirty then one should scrub the floor. Scrubbing a floor involves a wire brush to scrub the floor then picking up the dirt and excess water with a mop. Even if the floor is not always very dirty, scrubbing should be done every so often.

IMO the OP should appologise to the apprentice for being incorrect and for thinking he/she is a know-it-all. Then the OP should be the one to scrub and mop the entire canteen and see how he/she likes it.

Maybe you should re-read the original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

How about because it's ****ing dangerous? And if you had read the original post you would see that the floor was left soaked, with DIRTY water. Jesus.
    Besides the fact that somebody could slip on it and break their neck, where is the ****ing sense in a wet floor?

Well, in all the places I've ever worked, we've never once had a problem with someone slipping on a wet floor. Either the floor is cleaned last thing in the evening before the premises closes, or we put up several of those 'Caution - wet floor' signs. Speaking of which, why on earth would those signs have ever been invented if everyone dried the floor with a mop after cleaning it? Why do I see them all over the place in cafe shops, hospitals and about every other public place? And why was the apprentice cleaning the floor with dirty water? Of course the water was dirty at the end of the job, that would have been the case even if he'd done it your way. What is so much more hygienic about using a brush with soapy water and then drying the floor with a mop? The brush is getting dirtier and dirtier as well, and you're then using a dry mop to soak up dirty, soapy water.

Why did you bother posting here if you're so sure you're right? You obviously think anyone who does thinks differently to yourself is wrong, ever heard of different ways of doing things? I have never met anyone else in my life who thought a mop was a drying tool as opposed to a cleaning tool. Fair enough if that's your way of doing things, but it clearly isn't what the majority thinks.

• Advertisement

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    Well, in all the places I've ever worked, we've never once had a problem with someone slipping on a wet floor. Either the floor is cleaned last thing in the evening before the premises closes, or we put up several of those 'Caution - wet floor' signs. Speaking of which, why on earth would those signs have ever been invented if everyone dried the floor with a mop after cleaning it? Why do I see them all over the place in cafe shops, hospitals and about every other public place? And why was the apprentice cleaning the floor with dirty water? Of course the water was dirty at the end of the job, that would have been the case even if he'd done it your way. What is so much more hygienic about using a brush with soapy water and then drying the floor with a mop? The brush is getting dirtier and dirtier as well, and you're then using a dry mop to soak up dirty, soapy water.

Because that's my whole point, a mop is for drying the floor.
    Back in my day anyway.

And I think some of you are taking this abit too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Maybe you should re-read the original post.
    I did before I posted. You just cannot handle that YOU ARE WRONG and THE APPRENTICE WAS RIGHT!!! LOL :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

In the words of Nelson Muntz:

"Ha Ha!"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Why do they have "Caution wet floor" signs in shops then if your use a mop to dry the floor - Surely that sign shop should be out of business

• Registered Users Posts: 23,993 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Lump wrote: »
    Why do they have "Caution wet floor" signs in shops then if your use a mop to dry the floor - Surely that sign shop should be out of business

The wetness isn't water, it's the apprentice mopper's blood after getting thwacked by the over-zealous supervisor (usually the guy with a little black moustache).

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Well they could always change the sign to 'Caution Slightly Damp Floor'. The mop couldn't get the floor completely dry, could it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭KIVES

One should always brush the floor before either moping or scrubbing it.

To clean the floor one uses a mop with hot water and some dettol or whatever. It is best to use a towel to dry the floor afterwards so as to avoid customers slipping on the floor. It also takes up extra dirt.

Couldn't agree more...what that poster dosen't know about a decent mop isn't worth knowing...like all jobs, mopping should be taken seriously - mopped the floor of the flat last week like a member of the secret guild of M.O.P.P.E.R.S and having finished forty minutes later I felt immensely proud of the job I made of it...a small task done with female like apptitude

KIVES wrote: »
    mopped the floor of the flat last week like a member of the secret guild of M.O.P.P.E.R.S and having finished forty minutes later I felt immensely proud of the job I made of it...a small task done with female like apptitude

Pics, or it never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Ok, first things first people, when digging up a garden, a pitch fork will be needed to loosen the soil. Get a grip.
    A pitch fork is intended for pitching hay, straw. I imagine what you were using was a digging or garden fork. Gawd sake didn't yore ma teach you anything.

axer wrote:
    I did before I posted. You just cannot handle that YOU ARE WRONG and THE APPRENTICE WAS RIGHT!!! LOL
    LOL indeed.
    Lump wrote:
    I imagine these signs were thought up because someone slipped on a wet floor and hurt themselves. I'm saying it makes sense to dry the floor instead.

2 stroke wrote: »
    A pitch fork is intended for pitching hay, straw. I imagine what you were using was a digging or garden fork. Gawd sake didn't yore ma teach you anything.

No actually, I was using a pitch fork as a garden fork.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

This is probably the most pointless topic I have ever bothered with. Who cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Where is the karate kid when you need him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

I don't see why people are getting at senordingdong

if you are a nurse, a cleaner , a butcher or a barman the plce has to be clean.
    if it there is food it has to be clean.!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,755 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi! Barry Scott here again!
    Has that floor been mopped yet?! It would have been quicker & less contentious to just lay carpet & hoover the fcuker!!! Christ!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I don't see why people are getting at senordingdong

if you are a nurse, a cleaner , a butcher or a barman the plce has to be clean.
    if it there is food it has to be clean.!!!

We're not getting at him for wanting a clean place, we're getting at him for proposing an incorrect method of using a mop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Why the HELL has this topic received so much attention... its about MOPPING for petes sake!!!

To the OP, how much are you paying this apprentice mopper? Just above minimal wage? If so then you get what you paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,755 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

* ditches Barry Scott alter-ego *

What is a mop anyway? A cleaning device at the end of a pole.

Or a latvian, lituanian, etc, etc...

* gets coat *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I wonder if the apprentice has quit yet?! ;)

I reckon I've just seen that wet floor on the TV. Some woman went sliding along it on her arse, just before they gave you details of some ambulance chasing lawyers:) I didn't see the apprentice though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

I dont mop
    I have beige slate tiles that get sooo dirty

Basin with bleach, fairy and boiling water, then deck scrub whole area
    Go over it with towel while drying up excess water

I found mop gets too dirty and have to throw away. Best to use bleach and then turn deck brush upside down to dry inorder to keep clean.

We're not getting at him for wanting a clean place, we're getting at him for proposing an incorrect method of using a mop.

Nu uh, I explained that for all this time I have been using mops structly for drying and see now that other people do things differently.
    I just thought I'd put it to you lot and see what the general concenus was.

You're all dirty ****ers btw!

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Why the HELL has this topic received so much attention... its about MOPPING for petes sake!!!

To the OP, how much are you paying this apprentice mopper? Just above minimal wage? If so then you get what you paid for.

Don't be daft. He's on far less then minimum wage!

Whatsmore, if you people have a problem with a thread about mopping, then stop reading and posting in the damn thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Leaving the front and back door open will ensure the floor drys much quicker after mopping :)

latchyco wrote: »
    Leaving the front and back door open will ensure the floor drys much quicker after mopping :)

Then you'll have to clean it again after all of the dogs, cats and God knows what decide to walk sh1t all over it again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Then you'll have to clean it again after all of the dogs, cats and God knows what decide to walk sh1t all over it again.
    Not to mention Humans but that's were a ' cleaning in operation ' sign comes in handy .In the case of a dog or cat ,chain the fecker up till floor is dry .In case of multple cats dogs humans ,just cancel or take the day off .

Advertisement