Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arguement RE: Mopping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

milli wrote: »
    Out of curiosity what exactly is a deck scrub?!
    It's something you do if you don't want to "walk the plank". Arrr matey.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Any mopping I've done has generally involved dunking mop in bucket, squeezing mop, apply mop to floor.

I submit that anyone who claims the mop doesn't do any cleaning should wash their clothes in the bucket afterwards.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Mop the floor yourself next time Mr Ding Dong or get down on your hands and knees and show him how it's done to your standard.

If a bit of unsatisfactory mopping works you up I wouldn't like to see you on a bad day :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

A deck scrub.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Seniordingdong should produce his own self-help video, which will show the rest of us dirty b*astards how to mop the floor. He could call it "The Mop Nazi Video".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

As a woman who cleans her home regularly, and as someone who's had a lot of jobs that involved mopping, mopping involves filling a basin with hot water and detergent, dipping the mop in, getting it nice and wet, squeezing off the excess and then washing the floor with it. I've never heard of a mop being used for drying a floor!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,090 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

washin:

You dip
    you mop
    you dip
    you mop

dryin:

you mop
    you strain
    you mop
    you strain

if(finished && floor dry) finger->bum() ;

Of course you dry with a mop! youve clearly never worked around alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Rob_l wrote: »
    Huh thats a definition of mopping and scrubbing isn't included because that would be under a definition of scrubbing so seeing as scrubbing has nothing to do with mopping its not included in the original definition I gave :confused::confused::confused::confused:
    farohar wrote: »
    Quite simply: mopping is a required part of "scrubbing a floor" but scrubbing is not a required part of "mopping a floor".

Which you said was wrong and as your "evidence" gave the dictionary definition of mopping, which did not include any reference to scrubbing and as such you did not in fact show anything in my original statement to be incorrect.
    Rob_l wrote: »
    again not according to Webster's on-line dictionary its not

mopping
    One entry found.
    Function:
    verb
    Inflected Form(s):
    mopped; mop·ping
    Date:

transitive verb1: to use a mop on; specifically : to clean or clear away by mopping <mop the floors> —often used with up<mop up the spillage> 2: to wipe as if with a mop <mopped his brow with a handkerchief>intransitive verb: to clean a surface (as a floor) with a mop

Next time you mop with dodgy cleaning agents wear a facemask, the fumes seem to be getting to you.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Naos

Mopping to me is as faith and pretty much everyone else on the thread has said it.

And squeeging(sp?) is fun? I used to work in a swimming pool, it's not fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

How much does a jizz mopper get paid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Naos

He works on tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

For the op

1 go to fridge
    2 get beer
    3 slip into sitting room
    4 feet up
    5 leave for 15/20 mins
    6 shout in 'are ya alright luv'
    7 check floor
    8 sit back and congradulate yourself on a job well done

and the reason he is an apprentice is because he's learning the trade,
    if he know everything he'd be you, give em a break. As his mentor lead by example, sounds like you've got a problem with that kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

2 stroke wrote: »
    I've actually seen a guy cleaning a mop by flushing it in the toilet. Thank god he wasn't cleaning the kitchen.
    And I suppose that was his bosses fault for not 'training him properly'?

you are actually trying to justify such bull****.
    Hahah, you're priceless.
    This guy was hired as an expierenced cleaner. He didn't last a day.
    It's bad enough the people can get to this age nowadays barely knowing howto wipe their own arse,

I never told him to 'deck scrub', nor did I tell him to 'mop'.

I told him to clean the area, floor included. It is commonly agreed upon that water would be needed to clean the floor. Then the floor would need to be dried. It's pretty ****ing simple.
    Christ.
    Is the simple task of cleaning a floor now a thing of the past?

You admit you were trained to clean floors by an employer not your mother.

I was thought how to clean/mop a floor many many years ago in my first job as a lounge boy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

It's a hand held brush that requires the user to get on thier knees and use both hands to scrub the floor or 'deck' of a ship.

(and in case anyone else would take his side, you should take note of this too).

Take note: senordingdong as this line was your mistake. You might have won some admiration had you shared this thread with your assistant to see whom was correct. As it is you shoved the idea he is wrong at us and then suggest we should all be on our hands an kness scrubbing.! tsk

This is not the HSE it's a petrol station in the twentyfirst century . Your responsible to ensure safety and hygiene and as part of this there should be a procedure outlined that involves keeping a clean mop. It should NEVER involve a young person having to kneel on the ground scrubbing what you should consider your responsibilities. There are many cleaning techniques available and you wont find them on boards.ie.

The old hand held scrubbing brush is for particular difficult stains perhaps but was traditionally for stone and wood floor's etc..It is an antique as your canteen floor has been specially designed through micro manufacturing to be cleaned by a simple sweep and wet mop with soapy water. Most modern materials are engineered and manufactured to be almost impervious to any dirt.The young employee probably has a much better understanding of working with modern materials and deserves credit for cleaning the floor.You should from henceforth make sure the mop is clean going back into store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Cathooo wrote: »
    Definition of mop

To clean a floor, the mop is soaked in a bucket of water or cleaning fluid and scrubbed against the surface. Some buckets include a wringer to strain excess water from the mop, so as not to saturate the floor. Mops are also often used to clean up liquid spills

That's exactly how I use a mop. As others have said, scrubbing with a brush first would only be used for hospitals, bars and restaurants etc.

I work in a hospital. As far as I've seen, the method used in the first paragraph is what I see being used. Our's is a large department, and 3 cleaners are allocated 1 hour to wash all the floors. They'd spend half the day on their hands and knees deck-scrubbing if that was the case.

At home, i use Vileda supermop and a bucket of disinfectant on my wooden floors and ceramic tiles. Just a thought OP, did the pub you work in have quarry tiles? You'd never clean those just using a mop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

sweep or hover the floor.
    warm soapy water.
    mop goes in. then on the floor. wets the floor.

the air dries it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

**** me, and argument over mopping a floor.

you people would start a fight in an empty room. seriously

we call them dojo's ;)

Overheal wrote: »
    we call them dojo's ;)

*imagines AH posters, all in bathrobes and all breaking the heads off brushes and mops in a room with a padded floor and fighting with them.*
    :D

farohar wrote: »
    *imagines AH posters, all in bathrobes and all breaking the heads off brushes and mops in a room with a padded floor and fighting with them.*
    :D

Mop Fu?

• Advertisement

Mop Fu?

Nah, deadly Shaolin Mops!:D

Yeah: Shaolin Mop Fu. duh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Damn you all, you've reminded me my kitchen floor needs mopping and instead I'm on Boards....

Kitchens only need mopping once you start seeing mushrooms take root in the corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Hi! I'm Barry Scott!!!
    Get your apprentice to use Cillit Grime & Lime!
    Just rinse & the dirt is gone!

Finally an opportunity to post his again

http://dagobah.biz/flash/cillitbang.swf

Kitchens only need mopping once you start seeing mushrooms take root in the corner.

Forget that, harvest time first me thinks.
    You never know, you might get lucky and get the special kind.;)

Considering its been growing in a pool of fairy liquid: your odds are good

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

pirelli wrote: »
    (and in case anyone else would take his side, you should take note of this too).

Take note: senordingdong as this line was your mistake. You might have won some admiration had you shared this thread with your assistant to see whom was correct. As it is you shoved the idea he is wrong at us and then suggest we should all be on our hands an kness scrubbing.! tsk

This is not the HSE it's a petrol station in the twentyfirst century . Your responsible to ensure safety and hygiene and as part of this there should be a procedure outlined that involves keeping a clean mop. It should NEVER involve a young person having to kneel on the ground scrubbing what you should consider your responsibilities. There are many cleaning techniques available and you wont find them on boards.ie.

The old hand held scrubbing brush is for particular difficult stains perhaps but was traditionally for stone and wood floor's etc..It is an antique as your canteen floor has been specially designed through micro manufacturing to be cleaned by a simple sweep and wet mop with soapy water. Most modern materials are engineered and manufactured to be almost impervious to any dirt.The young employee probably has a much better understanding of working with modern materials and deserves credit for cleaning the floor.You should from henceforth make sure the mop is clean going back into store.

Haha, calm down ya loon, nobody said anything about the poor **** having to be on his hands and knees.
    Mop Nazis ftw btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Seniordingdong, I couldn't help but notice that on another forum, you had an accident involving a pitchfork and a gas pipe. Should you not be asking what the correct method is, to avoid such a life-threatening problem, rather than look for support on a mop-related matter? If you had used a mop to dig the garden, it may have taken a lot longer, but you wouldn't have been landed with a repair bill.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

No we wouldn't.

senordingdong, I'll ask again. What type of apprenticeship is this?

Advertisement