Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arguement RE: Mopping

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭hairyfish

Here's one for all to take part in.

In work yesterday, I allocated an apprentice to cleaning duties and told him to clean the canteen area. When I went in for an inspection I found that he had mopped it, but that he and I have some very different views of what mopping a floor involves.
    All I could see was a layer of water covering every inch of the floor. And a bucket with now dirty water and a now dirty mop resting in.
    I asked him what he did and he told me that he filled the bucket with warm soapy water and essentially ran the mop over the floor.

I insisted that this was the wrong way to do it.

When I was thought how to clean/mop a floor many many years ago in my first job as a lounge boy, the method was, we used soapy water and a brush to 'scrub' the floor, then used a clean mop to DRY the floor. Squeezing the dirty water out of the mop and into the bucket.
    It is my understanding that a mop is drying utensil/tool, not a cleaning or scrubing tool.

All this went straight over the lads head so I had to explain it to him as such (and in case anyone else would take his side, you should take note of this too)...if this is the way they have been doing it for some time now, then we can guarantee that the mop is filthy. And he is continuously dipping it into pregressivly dirtier water, and then spreading a layer of it over the already dirty floor. Whats more, since he doesn't use a mop to dry the floor, that means that this layer of filth water just stays there untill it dries itself. Then gathering more filth off peoples feet as they walk over it in some cases.

So what say yee, Boarsdsters. How do you mop yours?

I think i would hate to work with you.

the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,993 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

latchyco wrote: »
    Not to mention Humans but that's were a ' cleaning in operation ' sign comes in handy .In the case of a dog or cat ,chain the fecker up till floor is dry .In case of multple cats dogs humans ,just cancel or take the day off .

Someone should teach those feckin dogs and cats to read, they're just four-legged sh1t machines:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I'm not getting at him for wanting a clean place, I'm getting at him for putting his foot in his mouth.[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

And how did I do that?

You criticized a trainees lack of training where you, as the person alocating work duties, are legaly responsible to ensure that staff are suitably trained for the duties you alocate to them.
    I don't have anything against you personally, I don't even remember noticing you on boards before reading this thread, but I think it's time you put your hand up and admitted you were wrong on this issue.

• Advertisement

Legal responsibility? Hahaha.
    I told an apprentice to clean the canteen. Get a grip.

I suggest attending a training course on staff management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

senordingdong aka "hey here's a question but only my answer is right NO MY ANSWER IS RIGHT. you're all crazy. i can clean", maybe less times watching simpsons, more time training your staff?

Nehpets wrote: »
    senordingdong aka "hey here's a question but only my answer is right NO MY ANSWER IS RIGHT. you're all crazy. i can clean", maybe less times watching simpsons, more time training your staff?

No you're wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

Here ya go, costs less then an apprentice, is twice as smart, dosn't doss on the job, and only use's clean liquid to clean the floor : http://www.irobot.com/sp.cfm?pageid=128

Thread end?
    Or will the robots rebel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,755 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You Suck! wrote: »
    Here ya go, costs less then an apprentice, is twice as smart, dosn't doss on the job, and only use's clean liquid to clean the floor : http://www.irobot.com/sp.cfm?pageid=128

Thread end?
    Or will the robots rebel?
    If only it could make the tea & be sent to the shops for biccies too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Is this thread still stumbling on.

End it.

NOw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Crazy Christ

I still am expecting Mr. Mash from Are You Being Served to join in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Don't be daft. He's on far less then minimum wage!
    Are you serious? So you pay some guy below minimum wage, then shout at him for not cleaning a floor using your method without having told or shown him which method you use. You also told us that you were taught this method in your first job, but the young fella is an idot for not learning your method from his parents.

I'd hate to work in that environment, especially an apprenticeship where my boss is supposed to be teaching me stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,993 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

kevmy wrote: »
    Is this thread still stumbling on.

End it.

NOw

You've obviously got mop related issues and I would advise you to seek help before it's too late. Believe me, you'll feel a lot better after some counselling.

Unpossible wrote: »
    Are you serious? So you pay some guy below minimum wage, then shout at him for not cleaning a floor using your method without having told or shown him which method you use. You also told us that you were taught this method in your first job, but the young fella is an idot for not learning your method from his parents.

I'd hate to work in that environment, especially an apprenticeship where my boss is supposed to be teaching me stuff.

I never said I shouted at him. I laughed at him.
    Yep, I learned in my first job, when I was 14. He is 19 and had never cleaned a floor in his life.

Yep, I learned in my first job, when I was 14
    Did your parents ever wash their floors at home using your method?

Yes actually.

Yes actually.
    Ok, I'll buy that and assume you didn't just make that up.

If they always did it that way then why did it take you until 14 and your new job to suddenly notice how it was done? By 14 I had a rough idea of how all the cleaning jobs were done in my house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Crazy Christ

Senordingdong, you surely are the Alan Sugar of the floor cleaning world. That guy didn't have the get-up-and-go to be your floor cleaning apprentice and the multi-million dollar golden handcuffs contract that comes with the privilege

• Advertisement

Because it wasn't untill then that I started paying attention to how they did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

No you're wrong.

This thread really isn't going the way you planned, is it? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,755 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Like I said before you should get the place carpeted, give the young lad a bottle of 'Shake 'n' Vac' & get him to sing the sogn as he does the floor then. I'm sure that he'd be much happier with you laughing at him do that.

Nehpets wrote: »
    This thread really isn't going the way you planned, is it? :D

You're wrong,
    It's soooooooooooooo going the way I wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

ejmaztec wrote: »
    You've obviously got mop related issues and I would advise you to seek help before it's too late. Believe me, you'll feel a lot better after some counselling.

I'm perfectly happy with mops and all mop related issues. But TBH I think everything that can be said on this thread has been said. Twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Someone should teach those feckin dogs and cats to read, they're just four-legged sh1t machines:mad:
    Every man and his erm ....dog know that to give a house or an office a good clean it has to be Empty of people and also cats and dogs .It's called a deep clean .Any wandering cats dogs or humans around while this is going could possibly slip or worse get a belt of the mop for walking on said floor :)

Advertisement