Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Weather Conditions-January 2008

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Longfield wrote: »
    Currently 3.4°C falling slowly , DP 2.3°C rising rapidly...cold cold rain washing all the lovely snow away :(

In other news, I've got broadband wahhoooo!!

Quite a difference from Dial-up. I had to use dial-up last summer and it was amazing how slow it was.
    Anyway, Was in Kilmacanogue with my dad earlier and I managed to persuade him to take me up the mountains:p. Was raining lightly at the sally gap with a few inches of snow. Although it was just changing back to snow as we left. Temp was dropping quite fast and as we came down it stayed at 2.5C the whole way back to Kilmacanogue where it had been 6C on the way up. I'll put up a few pictures of the snow if they're any good.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Tipping it down with rain now - very calm out.

Current temp +4.5c - DP +2.5c (bah).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Heavy rain up to now but looking at the velux windows I can see some wet sleet mixed in too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Does anybody know what is wrong with the Dublin Airport Radar?

Looking at the Met Eireann rainfall radar it shows a lot of light rain over the Dublin area:

http://www.met.ie/weathermaps/latest_radar.gif

But the Uk Met offfice site has heavy rain for the same area:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/lib/template/spacer.gif

I have noticed this the last few weeks, as rainfall radar on Met Eireann shows rainfall losing intensity as it moves east, when that is not the case at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Heavy rain.
    12mm since 1630

Temp up to 7.3C high of day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Looking at the radar I'd say you must be close to that nice area of pink precip MM.

Only 9.8mm rain here .
    BTW my site should update every 10 mins from now on instead of every hour. The bleedin' webcam is another story!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

15mm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I have never in all my 10 years of driving seen rain like that I drove for 1 hour and 20 minutes from Wicklow to Tullow and there was torrential rain for the whole journey, I had my wipers on full blast and times struggled to see the road, crazy crazy rain.

Sally Gap is impassable due to ICE!

Villain wrote: »
    I have never in all my 10 years of driving seen rain like that I drove for 1 hour and 20 minutes from Wicklow to Tullow and there was torrential rain for the whole journey, I had my wipers on full blast and times struggled to see the road, crazy crazy rain.

Sally Gap is impassable due to ICE!

Well done for getting home safely in those conditions.
    Driving in dark hilly country with torrential rain and sudden fog lights and trucks shining in your eyes can be very nerve wrecking, don't envy anyone out driving tonight, 'tis bloody awful out.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

I'll drive through snow any day but bloody heavy rain forget it.At least the vast majority of people slow down in snow.

Oh congrats to Longfield for BB (or eircom or whoever supplies it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Yep Snowbie some fool passed me out on a straight strecth where I slowed down because I knew there would be flooding and after the hitting the flood he/she pulled in, probably damaged the car they hit it so hard, some people just don't have enough common sense to be allowed on our roads.

Anyway I meant to say it stopped just I hit Tullow but there seemed to be some sleet falling with wet snow flakes as it stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

some fool ploughed into a bus stop right outside my office window today. I wouldn't mind i nearly went on my arse walking across the same road at about 2 mph and then said driver flies up the road about 50 mph. If there had of been people at the bus stop he would have up-ended them all

Yeah lads,fools being a polite word to use for them.

On topic and the temp is on the rise here from 5c at 1730 now at 6.4c and rain has eased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Blustery and wet. For the rest of the night by yhr looks of it.

Mike.

Rain over , currently 6.9°C, back to chart watching (after I download everything that looks remotely interesting or even barely remotly).

8.8c and damp drizzly yuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

6 degrees and clear at the moment

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Raeally tipping it down again here - 23.5mm to date since 16.30 yesterday.

I like rain. :)

Current temp. 7.9c. Calm.

Rainfall total since 16.30 yesterday now up to 27.6mm

Lots of flooding reported on the news.

Pretty much the same all along the East coast.
    If we had 5,000ft mountains instead of 2000 to 3000ft mts in the East we'd have the makings of a great ski resort given it only about 6c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Worst January for quite a while so far and 21 days left!!:

"Severe flooding in the south and east. Cork couunty is the worst affected. Slow down and keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front. *CORK* There is no access to Mallow town due to severe flooding. Traffic is being diverted via Cork city. The following roads in Mallow are impassible: Fermoy and Mitchelstown roads out of Mallow, Bridge St, Park Rd and The Spa. The Killarney to Mallow Rd is also flooded. * Serious flooding in Castletownroche where the river has burst its banks. Also major flooding on the N73 to Mitchelstown and on the Grange turn on the Fermoy-Mallow Rd. *CORK CITY* Surface water on a number of roads. Expect possible flooding on the Lee Rd and Carrigrohane Straight Rd. Avoid Foxes Bridge and Shoreknock Line in Blarney & also Newcastle. *N25/CORK* Emergency services are in the process of clearing a multi-vehicle collision on the N25 between Castlemartyr and Killeagh. Traffic can now get by and delays are easing.

*OFFALY* The main Tullamore to Mountmellick Rd (N80) is closed until at least 3pm due to a crash Slow through Tullamore. To access Mountmellick take the Portarlington Rd (R402). To access Tullamore turn left at Killeigh and follow the diversions. *MEATH* The Kingscourt Rd (R162) into Navan is blocked following a collision and will not be accessible until at least 9.30am. *WICKLOW* Both lanes of the N11 northbound have reopened at Kilpedder following a mudslide. In Greystones Mill Rd by the Park N’ Ride is impassable. Flooding too on the Kilcoole to Newtown Mount Kennedy Rd at the turn off for Druid’s Glen. The road from the Beehive Pub into Wicklow is also flooded. Delgany Road is partially flooded in the vicinity of St. Laurence’s School. Avoid these routes if possible. *CARLOW* Centaur St and Black Bog Rd are flooded and impassable. There is a fuel spill outbound on the Dublin Rd by the second roundabout. Drive with extra care.

*LIMERICK* Mountshannon Rd between Castleconnell and Annacotty is flooded. *TIPPERARY* Back roads between Clonmel and Fethard are badly flooded. *MAIN TRAFFIC* *REGIONAL CITIES* *GALWAY* Busy inbound on the commuter routes."

A wet night here in Galway too, though no exceptional amounts.
    Current temp is 4.1c, with 91% humidity.

Temps peaked last night at 7.4c, on the tumble again though.

33mm since 4pm. Just about to do 9am observation, but its my wettest Jan day (09-09) on record

My stream is a river and my lake is very full

Mothman wrote: »
    33mm since 4pm. Just about to do 9am observation, but its my wettest Jan day (09-09) on record

I thought the South East was supposed to be sunny and stuff:o

Rain has now cleared here. 30.0mm on the nose since 16.30 yesterday.

Another good drop in temperature as the rain moved through - was. app. 10.0c at 6am now app. 5.0c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mothman is in the Mid-East (different climate).

Sure it was wet, but as I'm at home I dunno what mayhem has been wought. Another very wet spell in the next 24 hours would proberbly be bad news for many though.

Currently bright and reasonably mild

Mike.

Mothman wrote: »

Nice statement - sounds really prophetic!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭arctictree

Sunny, gentle breeze. If only it was 24.8c! In reality, its 4.8c !

A

Clear, was a nice view of moon.

Daytime max of 9C, dropped below 2C at 1730, now 3C in a gentle SW breeze.

• Advertisement

Certainly very wet, worst flooding i've seen since moving to these parts just over a year ago, I sailed ahead in a few spots this morning driving into work, which was a bit scary!

Advertisement