Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Weather Conditions-January 2008

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Temp falling rapidly here in the rain down from just over 11C to 4.2C now! Hail and thunder atm. 9.7mm rain so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Mothman wrote: »

I'm looking forward to this cold front passage:)

And what a passage:D

Not the wind I was expecting, but hail and temp drop.

Started at 1623, temp 9.9C, down to 5.7C by 1629, and now at 1638, it's 4.4C and still falling.

Heavy hail when temp was 9.9C has built up at bottom of westerly and southerly walls

4mm in just over ten minutes.

Wind has veered from S to W

No thunder :(, but otherwise the pasage rates as a good one.

Now 4.1C

Sleet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭arctictree

OMG - Heavy snow - temp down to 2.0c and still dropping....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

3.2c atm. Down from 11.0c at 3pm!!!

Heavy rain and sleet! 8.4mm so far.

Wind has really dropped off. Pressure 992mb (rising).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

the weather this past week has been the most interesting in quite a while, with tonight being the highlight! bring on the wind and blizzards!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

3.5c and sleet.
    This is the most active eastward moving front i have seen in years,maybe decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭arctictree

Temp seems to be stabilizing here at around 1.9c. Still snowing but not as hard and not sticking. I'd say the mountaintops got a pasting...

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭homosapien

Snowbie wrote: »
    3.5c and sleet.
    This is the most active eastward moving front i have seen in years,maybe decades.

One thing I noticed when it passed through Cork city was the suddeness of the drop off in the wind and hail as it passed through. it was as if if a wall of wind coming from high up suddenly passed over it was certainly impressive!

2.9c and still dropping. Dp at 1.5c so sleet is slight in the mix.

Wind not a feature yet as it is only gusty due to downdrafts and tight gradient ahead of the front,its when this clears things pick up from the west later on.

• Advertisement

At 1600, the front was between Casement and Dublin AP.
    Casement 4C, heavy hail
    Dublin AP 9c light rain.

3.3C.
    Rain almost stopped
    Wind down to a breeze.

Max gust earlier before the front, 10 min mean 32mph Gust 49mph

2mb pressure jump, now stablised at 992mb

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Temp down to 1.3C, DP 0.3C here now, a fall of 7.2 in around an hour.

Pressure rose to 992mb after front passed but falling again now, down to 989.8mb

Total of 9.3mm of rain recorded as the front passed.

Temp 70 mins ago was 11.2c now 2.6c,thats the biggest drop off on temp i have ever seen in that timeframe.

Arctic fronts have not come close to this one but the temps still drop after them.

Mothman wrote: »
    At 1600, the front was between Casement and Dublin AP.
    Casement 4C, heavy hail
    Dublin AP 9c light rain.
    And both 1C at 1700.
    8C drop during the hour at Dublin AP.

Casement thunder sleet.

And Belmullet, a big rise in wind.

Mean 47gust 72 KNOTS
    54mph mean 83mph gust

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Interesting drive home this evening.
    Heavy rain on the M50, then as I turned off the motorway and headed up the Sugar Loaf things started to get interesting.
    First the precip got heavier then splodges started to appear (at about 2°C by the car thermometer), then whiteout conditions once the temp dropped to 1°C (about 150 meters up I'd guess) .
    The high fields behind me are white as is Scarr, its rather beautiful in a cool glacial way.
    Since the precip passed its warmed up a bit and temp now recovered to 3.1°C and I imagine the fields around me will loose their white coat by morning but Scarr should still look nice I hope :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Temp back up to 3c now,damn wannabee arctic front.

Wind just starting to get up again now, temp has risen back up to 5.0C from a low of 3.4C

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

just outside Sligo

Mostly clear sky, dry, frost (car windscreen is starting to frost over) and wind is picking up.

Temp at 4.8c but Dp holding at 1.4c

Snowbie wrote: »
    Temp at 4.8c but Dp holding at 1.4c

Temp is higher here at 5.8C but the dp has plummeted to -0.3C

• Advertisement

Those showerse are sure shooting accross the country fast, should be some more stuff here later (rain, sleet snow,hail..its all possible tonight!) dew point is -0.4°C and falling slowly as is the temp. Mountain tops going to be deep in the sneachta before the night is out.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Max of 9.6c today - this morning was mild with 6.7c at 900z. Currently 1.9c with a few snow grains, was 1.6c earlier this evening. Winds blustery, though not gusting yet.

Cool this morning with black ice on roads.
    Now mostly clear temp 4.4C DP 0.5C
    Min of 2.1C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fine and chilly morning, nothing of any interest happened overnight.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Cold clear morning here, a few small patches of snow on the ground around here and lots of black ice, two crashes this morning in the car park in work! The hills nearby are snow covered above about 200m or so.

Low overnight was 0.2C with a low windchill of -9.2C. Now up to 1.3C.

Low of 2.1c,clear cold and seasonal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fine day as been washed away by heavy rain and the temp dropping a few degrees. :(

I need warmth.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Glad to get out of that. Strong wind and plenty of rain here in Cork harbour.

Currently 3.4°C falling slowly , DP 2.3°C rising rapidly...cold cold rain washing all the lovely snow away :(

In other news, I've got broadband wahhoooo!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Damp & cool with on/off light rain. 4.3c/89%rh.

Wind just a chilly moderate SW.

Advertisement