Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Weather Conditions-January 2008

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

High gale springing up here as well. What is crap is that the temps are rising with it. 4.8c now.

looking to be a stormy night over the sweet land of Erin...:)

trogdor wrote: »

Check out vortex on radar over west Mayo.
    Gives a good Idea of where this low is at:

http://www.met.ie/weathermaps/latest_radar.gif

Would love if it was daytime as there would be some interesting cloud movements around here to watch.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

getting milder here too 5C now, was 3C for most of the day. Not a chance of snow tonight here unless a miracle happens:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Fresh out of Spectra Photo: http://en.allmetsat.com/images/noaa_nsbern_n1b.php

Thats some vortex allright!

• Advertisement

Danno wrote: »
    Fresh out of Spectra Photo: http://en.allmetsat.com/images/noaa_nsbern_n1b.php

Thats some vortex allright!

Amazing image. Wind dying down here agan, hope it springs back up once the low moves a bit north...

Pressure now 986.6 mb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wind picking up down here now.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

temperature has risen here. it's now four degrees celsius. no major gust as of yet. i don't think i'll see any further snow tonight unless i drive up to an aera that is 1, 000 foot above sea level.

5.1c, went to 4.6c earlier. Wind is picking up.

Vortex now centered directly over me!!

None the less, winds now packing a punch again. Howling around the house.

There seems to be very tight gradient from center of low. Unusual, also, is it moving as north as was predicted?

• Advertisement

Paddy.1 wrote: »
    Vortex now centered directly over me!!

None the less, winds now packing a punch again. Howling around the house.

There seems to be very tight gradient from center of low. Unusual, also, is it moving as north as was predicted?
    yeah the animated version of that shows it moving roughly northwestwards.
    Having a good visible curl of wraparound showers around the low makes it handy to track it via the animation..
    The GFS has it progged to go that way.It's usually very accurate in that sort of high resolution timeframe.
    It was windy here earlier but not now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭CM21

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

Am in the meath area, any idea what direction the winds will be from here thru the night. Am worried about unfinished roofwork I did today and how it will be effected. Getting back up at this hour to secure and with no-one around is foolish yet maybe necessary.

JMSE wrote: »
    Am in the meath area, any idea what direction the winds will be from here thru the night. Am worried about unfinished roofwork I did today and how it will be effected. Getting back up at this hour to secure and with no-one around is foolish yet maybe necessary.
    I would leave it if you are on your own tbh.You are more important than the roof :)
    If you have help,then yes do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Shannon up to 66mph and marathon 64mph now-http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

I would leave it if you are on your own tbh.You are more important than the roof :)
    If you have help,then yes do it.
    I would say a direct westerly. But stay in. The wind here is now pretty severe, on its way there I would think.

Feck the roof lad - let it go. You'd be crazy to go out in that tonight.

Wind strength becoming more sustained here now though not as severe. Temps on the dip again, now 4.8c, from a 6.3c half an hour ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

70mph in Shannon being recorded now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Wind really on the up here now.Gusting over 33mph most of the time.Should go alot higher.

Temp 6.9c
    990.6mb

Temp 4.4c at 00hrs. Gusty winds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Snowbie wrote: »
    Wind really on the up here now.Gusting over 33mph most of the time.Should go alot higher.

Temp 6.9c
    990.6mb

Just got windy here as well.
    Gusts to 40mph, 10 min mean up to 26mph.

6.7C
    993.6mb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Very squally alright,few showers too
    6.4c
    990.3 and falling fast

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

985 hpa
    temp' is 5 degrees.

nothing to write home about here wind-wise at the moment. i can't see it getting very gusty here at this stage.

also, it's currently dry.

Mean 28mph
    Gust 46mph

Expecting 60mph

Wind strong here but seems to be easing substantially. Worst winds seems to have kept to the south.

Temp getting low again, currently 2.8c, more or less the day's avereage.

Well Tuesday seems to be another possible event. Will be interesting to see what happens.:)

Temp sensor still says 4.4c at 0100z despite sleet. Is it possible for sleet at 4.4c or is my sensor out of battery?

Danno wrote: »
    Temp sensor still says 4.4c at 0100z despite sleet. Is it possible for sleet at 4.4c or is my sensor out of battery?

Its well possible, I have seen snow falling here at 6c, I think the low must be fecking up temp profile for your area now, there seems to be a lot of temperature ups and downs as it passes.

• Advertisement

Mothman wrote: »

Expecting 60mph

Didn't pack the punch I was expecting.

Only one gust above 50mph, but that was 55mph.

Max 10min mean 30mph.

Highest gust since 19th Mar

Advertisement