Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bareback

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

dublindude wrote:
    I would also say the intimacy of the semen going into the vagina, is an important part of sex. After all, that is the purpose of sex.
    Moonbaby wrote: »
    Schiesse! Would you feel more intimately connected if someone left you a massive goober from a kiss?
    I think your view is odd.

If the purpose of sex isn't to put semen into the vagina (and get the girl pregnant), what is the purpose of it?

How do you plan on having children?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

snyper wrote: »
    i akin bareback riding to drink driving.

Is convenient, it can be great craic and feels fine at the time, but you can ruin your life and the life of others by doing it... and you feel like a dick head the next morning.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 68,260 ✭✭✭✭L1011

dublindude wrote: »
    If the purpose of sex isn't to put semen into the vagina (and get the girl pregnant), what is the purpose of it?

What if he doesn't plan on having children; or there isn't even have a vagina involved when having sex?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

If your only going to have sex when your trying for a baby then a hell of alot of people of this thread would never be having sex. Humans are one of the few animals that have sex for enjoyment and not just for breeding. Sex isn't all about the big finish at the end, its about sharing intimacy with someone even if its just for those few moments. Your genitals aren't the only sensitive parts on your body and good sex with lots of foreplay and imagination can be just as full filling as two minutes of frantic trusting.

It just sounds like theres alot of vanilla sex going on here and people don't seem to think that sex is anything more lie down, insert, trust, repeat. I'm not saying everyone go out and develop a fetish or try something mad and kinky but try exploring different options. We are slowly getting better about sex in this country and you can buy a ton of sex help books in Easons now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Is convenient, it can be great craic and feels fine at the time, but you can ruin your life and the life of others by doing it... and you feel like a dick head the next morning.

very good post!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

yes.

I put some thought into that one :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I really think people on boards and in PI are overly paranoid about STDs...
    I've had unprotected sex quite a few times. I don't carry condoms because I only seem to get laid a couple of times a year unless I have a girlfriend. Recently I was banging a chick and was drunk off my ass each time she came back to mine, having not got ANY for 8 months I really didn't give a sh*t about condoms or any of that and she didn't mention it so I assumed she was on the pill or whatever. Seriously... I'd like to know what percentage of people have STDs? It's probably less than 1%... what are the odds? 8 months with no sex and you expect me to worry about a 1 in a 100 chance of getting an STD? No Siree!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I've had unprotected sex quite a few times. I don't carry condoms because I only seem to get laid a couple of times a year unless I have a girlfriend. Recently I was banging a chick and was drunk off my ass each time she came back to mine, having not got ANY for 8 months I really didn't give a sh*t about condoms or any of that and she didn't mention it so I assumed she was on the pill or whatever. Seriously... I'd like to know what percentage of people have STDs? It's probably less than 1%... what are the odds? 8 months with no sex and you expect me to worry about a 1 in a 100 chance of getting an STD? No Siree!!!

OH LOL!!

You my friend are in for a big suprise..

if you're lucky that suprise will only be in the form of a few warts on ur cock, but you are waaaaaayy off the mark. There are alot of STD's out there. I dont go bareback, perhaps only 3 or 4 different women, the rest id wrap him up nice and tight. I love him too much to make him ill..

We're rather close, me and him

Seriously... I'd like to know what percentage of people have STDs? It's probably less than 1%... what are the odds?

lol awwwwwwwwwwwww aren't you precious? 1%? man I've tears coming down I'm laughing so hard.

why not do some proper research? Get some responsible answers.

1 in 4 women and 1 in 5 men have genital herpes. Up to 80% of the population (depending on whose statistics you use) have coldsores which are oral herpes.

Up to 80% of the population (again - depending on who's statistics you use) will have at least one form of the HPV virus in their lifetime. Unless a man has a form of HPV that causes warts - there is no test to see whether or not he carries the cancer causing HPV's.

More women than men tend to have STD's - largely because women are more likely to catch one from a man than a man is from a woman - women are, unfortunately, physiologically more succeptible.

Commonly reported prevalences of STIs among sexually active adolescent girls both with and without lower genital tract symptoms include chlamydia trachomatis (10 to 25%), Neisseria gonorrhoeae (3 to 18%), syphilis (0 to 3%), Trichomonas vaginalis (8 to 16%), and herpes simplex virus (2 to 12%).Among adolescent boys with no symptoms of urethritis, isolation rates include C. trachomatis (9 to 11%) and N. gonorrhoeae (2 to 3%)

As early as 1996, WHO estimated that more than 1 million people were being infected daily. About 60% of these infections occur in young people <25 years of age, and of these 30% are <20 years. Between the ages of 14 and 19, STDs occur more frequently in girls than boys by a ratio of nearly 2:1; this equalizes by age 20.
    - thanks again wikipedia what would we do without you.

I won't bother giving you odds on getting a girl pregnant as its been covered earlier in the thread.

O and going back to a point made alot earlier in the thread bout not just practicing safe sex but also good hygiene what I meant by that was not all STD's are transmitted via fluids - herpes and crabes transfer via skin to skin contact so its always good to wash all your bits and clean your sheets and towels [and be careful if you get a dose of crabs not to share towels with anyone, for those living at home imagine how happy your parents would be if you gave everyone in the house a dose?]

Crabs just give me the creeps, imagine head lice but down below, crawling around, eek!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

You sir have something coming your way:eek: Your problem isn't ignorance... whether you get laid once a year or 5 times a year you need to protect your friend down there! And you assumed she was on the pill, jeez hopefully she doesn't come knocking on your door in a few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 The Dudette

I can't believe how some people don't seem to understand that STDs and unplanned pregnancy is a real thing that happens everyday, not some urban legend...

I think it was 4 or 5 times in total that myself and my partner didn't use a condom (and I wasn't on the pill either) and it's down to one of those times that will be giving us our first child in April. Thankfully as I say that was with my boyfriend (now my fiance) so we're delighted with the situation now, but it was still a shock in the beginning. People have to wake up from this "It won't happen to me" dream world that they're in and listen to the commercials It only takes one sperm...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

Here's the answer:

USE CONDOMS AND THE PILL, EVEN IN A RELATIONSHIP, UNTIL YOU ACTUALLY WANT KIDS

Sex is fun, but at my age a kid is the last thing I'd want. Why risk it?
    That way you're doubly protected because a condom will fail at some point.

It is a HUGE responsibility having kids. Don't have it thrust upon for sheer laziness. Just be responsible and have great sex!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

We go bareback, but then again we are happily married and are desparate for kids. I don't know if we can have any as I had chemo and it is tough. Having said that, before when we were using protection (condoms only) we had a happy "accident" but we lost it by miscarriage after just one month.

if you're lucky that suprise will only be in the form of a few warts on ur cock, but you are waaaaaayy off the mark. There are alot of STD's out there. I dont go bareback, perhaps only 3 or 4 different women, the rest id wrap him up nice and tight. I love him too much to make him ill..

Condoms don't protect you from warts.

ztoical wrote: »
    Humans are one of the few animals that have sex for enjoyment and not just for breeding.

You are looking at sex from a high level. I am looking at it from the basic, instinctual level. We can talk all we want about humans being clever and evolved etc., but nearly everything we do is motivated by some sort of basic instinct. There are loads of reading material on the web about this.

I'll give you a quick example - using your high level thinking, you don't want your partner to cheat because it's hurtful. On a basic level, it's because there's a risk he'll transfer his resources (emotional, protective, etc.) to another woman.

Your partner doesn't want you to cheat. On a high level it's because he will be hurt. On a basic level it's because he might have to raise someone else's baby.

So when it comes to sex, the basic reason we do it is to reproduce. That involves putting sperm in the vagina.

I really believe this is the reason so many people have unprotected sex.

Can you honestly say you don't care whether your partner ejaculates in a condom or ejaculates in you? There is no satisfaction difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Not really, if in a long term relationship and she's on the pill there's no big deal. it adds to the intimacy of the act. In that case it's more like eh regular driving!

Bad analogy. Drink driving is EXTREMELY risky behaviour to yourself and innocent bystanders.

Unprotected sex is not particularly risky (hardly any Irish people catch HIV, nevermind from one instance of unsafe sex).

You only feel like a dickhead the next morning if you have an unrealistic view of how dangerous unsafe sex is. Or because you associate guilt with sex (a big problem in Ireland.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Bad analogy. Drink driving is EXTREMELY risky behaviour to yourself and innocent bystanders.

Unprotected sex is not particularly risky (hardly any Irish people catch HIV, nevermind from one instance of unsafe sex).

You only feel like a dickhead the next morning if you have an unrealistic view of how dangerous unsafe sex is. Or because you associate guilt with sex (a big problem in Ireland.)

I agree its not the best ananlogy but the attitude that hardly any Irish people catch HIV is a hugh issue in this county. HIV has been on the rise in this country, mainly due to high immigration from areas with higher risk levels and its has lead to this attitude in this country that [a] only non-irish people catch HIV or only gay people have HIV. Around 50% to 55% of HIV cases in this country came from africa that still leaves a good chunk that did not. The number of cases of HIV among gay men has dropped where as the number of cases among straight men and women has jumped. This is mainly down to the gay community taking action and pushing safe sex awareness. And its hard to judge some of the figure as Irish people still don't get tested as regularly as people from other countries do. Out of all my friends the only people I know who have been to get a full set of STDs test as my gay friends, all my straight friends take the head in sand it will never happen to me approach. [by friends I'm just counting my irish friends]

We really need to wake up and stop thinking the biggest risk from sex is pregnancy.

ztoical wrote:
    HIV... We really need to wake up and stop thinking the biggest risk from sex is pregnancy.

I don't have the figures on me, but I remember looking at the statistics for new HIV cases in Ireland for 2006. It worked out that something like 15 non-drug using heterosexual Irish males caught HIV, and 15 non-drug using heterosexual Irish females caught HIV. Considering how much unprotected sex is going on, this would make HIV a VERY LOW RISK (for heterosexual, non-drug using, Irish people.)

It is not known how many of the 15 males and 15 females were having sex with an African partner, or used to inject drugs, or were males who have sex with men but are "not gay".

I am not saying don't use condoms. I am just saying people should have a bit of perspective.

• Advertisement

It is not known how many of the 15 males and 15 females were having sex with an African partner, or used to inject drugs, or were males who have sex with men but are "not gay".

You're making an extreme assumption that there is *any* higher risk of HIV among homosexuals any more there; considering Irish figures show that to be untrue.

And remember that early detection is far more likely in homosexuals due to the far higher proportion that get regular testing vs. heterosexuals who are only likely to discover it when it starts to affect them seriously - can be some years down the line depending how your overall health and lifestyle is.

MYOB wrote: »
    You're making an extreme assumption that there is *any* higher risk of HIV among homosexuals any more there; considering Irish figures show that to be untrue.

That's not true. I just found this -
    Newly Diagnosed HIV infections in Ireland - Summary 2006

Of the cases acquired through heterosexual contact... 33 were born in Ireland (17 female and 16 male).

There were 83 new diagnoses in MSM in 2006 [men who have sex with men]

http://www.dublinaidsalliance.com/statistics.htm

So it looks like homosexual sex is sill a greater risk than heterosexual sex for Irish people.

I'll give you a quick example - using your high level thinking, you don't want your partner to cheat because it's hurtful. On a basic level, it's because there's a risk he'll transfer his resources (emotional, protective, etc.) to another woman.

Your partner doesn't want you to cheat. On a high level it's because he will be hurt. On a basic level it's because he might have to raise someone else's baby.

So using your basic level thinking why have relationships at all? Looking at animals and the ones we are most closely related to monogamy isn't something that should come natural to us. A man should be trying to spread his seed around to as many women as he can or maybe we should just introduce polygamy. Women past chid bearing age or those who are unable to have children shouldn't have sex?

So when it comes to sex, the basic reason we do it is to reproduce. That involves putting sperm in the vagina.

so what are gay people trying to do?
    Can you honestly say you don't care whether your partner ejaculates in a condom or ejaculates in you? There is no satisfaction difference?

Right hands up girls how many of you have had an orgasim during penetrative vaginal sex? Must put sperm in vagina = I get to have an orgasim, do you also make sure your partner has an orgasim ever time? Cus honey the percentage of women who have an orgasim during penetrative sex is low, but then if the only goal of sex is to make babies it doesn't matter if the woman enjoys it or not, now does it?

And why do so many men want to have anal sex with women?

And honestly yes I can say I don't care - there is no satisfaction difference for me because the act of sex for me and any guy I've been with hasn't been stick it and trust. Theres alot of enjoyment had from just thouching each other and being together and the last relationship I was we didn't even have penetrative sex ever time, its about the intimacy. I did have one boyfriend [my first] who was just into penetrative sex and I remember when I knew I was going to break up with him. We were having sex and its was straight into him on top, going at it like mad and I was there looking at the ceiling wondering "is he done yet cus I have work in the morning and really need some sleep"

That's not true. I just found this -

http://www.dublinaidsalliance.com/statistics.htm

So it looks like homosexual sex is sill a greater risk than heterosexual sex for Irish people.

Disagrees with the figures I was using from UCC:

http://www.ucc.ie/en/SIN/sucampaigns/WorldAidsDay/AidsinIreland/

It seems, despite the average AH poster, both of us actually did some background research first, amazing :D

BUT - why are you excluding non-Irish born heterosexuals and not non-Irish born MSM transmitted cases? Theres massive, massive amounts of non-Irish born gays, and "on the down low" is well known in African American culture at the least so I'd be willing to say that rather a lot of that 83 came from sub-saharan Africa too.

If you don't exclude non-Irish the cases are 169 for heterosexual and 83 for MSM.

Condoms don't protect you from warts.

or from crabs which is why sex education needs to be improved in this country

why are you excluding non-Irish born heterosexuals and not non-Irish born MSM transmitted cases?

Well, Boards.ie is mostly Irish people...

The figures for MSM did not mention any of the people were not Irish.
    If you don't exclude non-Irish the cases are 169 for heterosexual and 83 for MSM.

I think sex IS high risk with Africans. And you can normally tell the difference between an Irish person (white) and an African person (black.)

I do think this is a fair approach to take.

Anyway, I don't want to get bogged down in figures. All I'm trying to say is there are a lot more risky things people do every day (such as drive their cars) so we should keep some perspective about unprotected sex and people shouldn't beat themselves up or lose respect for people if sex happens without a condom...

BUT - why are you excluding non-Irish born heterosexuals and not non-Irish born MSM transmitted cases? Theres massive, massive amounts of non-Irish born gays, and "on the down low" is well known in African American culture at the least so I'd be willing to say that rather a lot of that 83 came from sub-saharan Africa too.

very true men who have sex with men does not equal openly gay men. Within the gay community there has been great efforts made to improve sexual awarness but you have to be out in the gay communtiy to be aware of this. There are alot of men who have sex with men and don't think of themselves as gay or there are gay men who don't like the gay scene and therefore don't go out in it.

I've spent alot of time in out house on capel st and in various gay bars in this country in the last few years and can see the massive difference in awareness of STD's. Most of the people I've talked to know far more about the different illness and how protect themselves then most straight people I know. Going to a straight bar or night club the most you get is a poster on the back of the bathroom door and a condom machine that charges something like 4euro and its all go to be 1 euro coins [if its even working]. I fill my pockets with free condoms when I got to gay bars.

ztoical wrote: »
    So using your basic level thinking why have relationships at all? Etc.

I am not saying the things like intimacy, tenderness, love, pleasure, etc. don't exist or aren't important (I thought that would be obvious!), I am just saying we have basic instinctual urges which override lots of higher level thoughts. Using a condom is not "natural" and goes against the basic purpose of sex. This is why (IMO anyway) most people in the world do not have protected sex.

(Note: Boards.ie users are not good examples of the typical person. Most boardsies are young and nerdy.)

Well, Boards.ie is mostly Irish people...

The figures for MSM did not mention any of the people were not Irish.

I think sex IS high risk with Africans. And you can normally tell the difference between an Irish person (white) and an African person (black.)

I do think this is a fair approach to take.

Go in to The Dragon (a gay bar, in case you didn't know/guess) any night of the week and at least 1/4 of the clientele won't be Irish - Mediterranean, African and Polish mainly. Just because they've no breakdown mentioned doesn't mean all 83 were Irish born (note it specified Irish *BORN* as well - due to emigration and returning, about 1 in 8 of the "Irish" people I went to school with were born in the US, UK or Australia)

And South Africa has among the worst of the AIDS problems in Africa - and how many black South Africans have you seen in Ireland... not many ;)

• Advertisement

we should keep some perspective about unprotected sex and people shouldn't beat themselves up or lose respect for people if sex happens without a condom...

I'm not saying people should lose respect or be ashamed or anything like that ...everyone makes mistakes, hell the first time I had sex was without a condom and not on the pill. Having that happen once or twice or the condom breaking or slipping off, yes these things happen but there as been a few posts on here of people who just don't want to wear a condom and don't care about the risk or worse yet think there is no risk. I think this post has highlight that sex education in this country is lacking and that not enough people get tested for STD's compared to other western countries.

Advertisement