Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bareback

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I think people worry too much about sexually transmitted diseases. You might catch a bacterial infection (which can be easily cured), but it's very unlikely you'll catch a fatal disease (very few people in Ireland catch fatal STD's each year, and there's a ****load of unprotected sex going on out there.)

Yes by all means use condoms, but you have to keep things in perspective. You're way more likely to die by being stabbed, or in road crash. Sex should be enjoyed guilt free.

EDIT: Before people misquote me, I am not saying to go banging everything unprotected; I'm just saying don't let the relativily rare issue of fatal STD's damage a natural and lovely thing like sex! Throughout history society has associated guilt with sex. Don't let the fear of an unlikely disease make you feel guilty when you have sex with a new partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

MIN2511 wrote: »
    We all make stupid mistakes at 16/17 by having unprotected sex and i blame that on lack of good sex education. And i think now is the time to rectify that if we can.
    And yes using Condoms e.t.c still doesn't protect against genital warts, like honestly apart from ABSTINENCE what else can we do to protect ourselves completely seeing as abstinence wouldn't be an option

better education about STD's would be a start and also people getting tested regularly....I don't think any straight Irish guy I know has ever been in to get tested where as amy american friends get it done ever 6 months without blinking

dublindude wrote: »
    I think people worry too much about sexually transmitted diseases. You might catch a bacterial infection (which can be easily cured), but it's very unlikely you'll catch a fatal disease (very few people in Ireland catch fatal STD's each year, and there's a ****load of unprotected sex going on out there.)

Yes by all means use condoms, but you have to keep things in perspective. You're way more likely to die by being stabbed, or in road crash. Sex should be enjoyed guilt free.

EDIT: Before people misquote me, I am not saying to go banging everything unprotected; I'm just saying don't let the relativily rare issue of fatal STD's damage a natural and lovely thing like sex! Throughout history society has associated guilt with sex. Don't let the fear of an unlikely disease make you feel guilty when you have sex with a new partner.

I honestly don't give a **** about the fatal STD's its the ones like the gential warts that I want to avoid. Sure its not fatal but its damn uncomfortable. Also alot of the bacterial infections don't get treated because the people with them don't realise they have them. My friend caught hep A, the easy one that you just take a pill for but it was still a royal pain - he couldn't drink for 12 months due to stomach cramps and his deit had to be really blah as well - no spice, nothing to fatty. Sure its not fatal but its a pain and something you wouldn't have to deal with if you just took two seconds to learn the facts and practise not just safe sex but good hygiene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

ztoical wrote: »
    its the ones like the gential warts that I want to avoid.

The doctor in St. James's told me they don't test for genital warts because sexually active people normally already have them. Less than 5% of people get symptoms.

Sorry!
    practise not just safe sex but good hygiene.

I don't really understand what you mean here?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,123 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I don't really understand what you mean here?

Keep your todger clean, particularly if you're not had bits cut off it...

• Advertisement

The doctor in St. James's told me they don't test for genital warts because sexually active people normally already have them. Less than 5% of people get symptoms.

Sorry!

There are around 100 different strains of HPV [the virus that causes gential warts] 30 of them cause warts - most people who acquire it never develop warts or any other symptoms but they can pass the virus on to others who could develop symptoms. Also women need to be careful of HPV as it can cause cervical cancer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

davyjose wrote: »
    Well having a less cavalier attitude to casual sex than most. Sticking to someone you trust for the ol' in-out would, IMO, be a great way of protecting oneself

I was in a relationship for 5 years and I bet my ex cheated on me, I would be surprised if he didn’t. And now I am finding it hard to date anyone, don’t want to be single anymore.

Dublindude, this still freaks me out… Like it’s on my mind anytime I see a couple together I think they f***ing have it.

There are around 100 different strains of HPV [the virus that causes gential warts] 30 of them cause warts - most people who acquire it never develop warts or any other symptoms but they can pass the virus on to others who could develop symptoms. Also women need to be careful of HPV as it can cause cervical cancer

Another thing that’s freaking me out… HPV… jeez like cancer again cause of sex… arrghh no decent shag for me:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Solitarius

My sex eduction at school involved the parish priest coming into our leaving cert year and warning us of the consequences on our soul of masterbating:confused:

Not a word otherwise about condoms etc....I didn't even know of STI's or what the hell they were!
    Er...I'm not that old:)

A friend caught Herbes (the oral one) on his todger....:eek: he now gets an outbreak of sores on it about twice a year, he got it from receving oral sex for a girl who had a cold sore or her mouth. I know he went up to James afterwards and they told him to come back when he had another outbreak as they couldnt diagnose until the virus was active. His new girlfriend (after the oral lady) now of two years now was not impressed when he told her and reminds him everytime he has an outbreak of the little tramp he was :) But theres a more serious side as she wants kids and the Herbes thing has become a huge issue between them as she dosnt want to catch the virus as a new born child is at risk of getting it also from the mother during child birth.

I know that if I am with someone for sometime and we are not going to use condoms its up to James for the Hood Check...not very pleasent but better than ending up like my mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Hmm I have a question if any of you biology nerds know anything about it!

So basically progestogen stops the egg stickimng to th lining of the womb blah di blah di blah, so if you got pregnant on the pill could you just keep taking in and it would....detatch? I've wondered about this for some time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I carry a condom in the wallet but I wouldn't turn down sex if I hadn't got one. That has only happened once

• Advertisement

The way contraceptives are sold over here are shambolic. Most pharmacies I've seen have the condoms at the back, which would put any shy person off even attempting to buy them. To get the morning after pill, you have to go to your GP and get a prescription. That alone would stop a person going, especially if its a family GP ("Er, yeah, you've known me for years, can I get the morning after pill?")

England has a good method. Anyone (above the age of 16/18[can't remember which] can get it from a pharmacy, without a prescription. Some even give it away for free and offer a 1-1 consultation with the pharmacist. The GP should be taken out of the equation altogether IMHO.
    I carry a condom in the wallet but I wouldn't turn down sex if I hadn't got one. I think most people are the same from my experience but my experiences are usually always drunken.
    Wasn't it said somewhere on here that it's extremely bad to carry a condom in your wallet, due to the wear-and-tear that it can go through without you realising.

The way contraceptives are sold over here are shambolic. Most pharmacies I've seen have the condoms at the back, which would put any shy person off even attempting to buy them.
    The few chemists in my area have them on the counter.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    The few chemists in my area have them on the counter.

Yeah, some of the ones around Galway do too. In fact, before I stopped giving a damn, I used to walk around each one judging if I could get the courage to go in. I based it on; proximity to the till, amount of people in shop, and age/gender of the person on the till (I found younger people easier than old, always thought they'd be judgmental of me or something). But it always seemed that no matter where I bought them, it'd always be some old woman who had been the customer before me.

I agree that the way the pill is given out over here is awful, you have to pay a ridiculous GP fee to get a prescription and pay for the pill on top of that, there's no reason why it shouldn't be OTC!

Yeah, some of the ones around Galway do too. In fact, before I stopped giving a damn, I used to walk around each one judging if I could get the courage to go in. I based it on; proximity to the till, amount of people in shop, and age/gender of the person on the till (I found younger people easier than old, always thought they'd be judgmental of me or something). But it always seemed that no matter where I bought them, it'd always be some old woman who had been the customer before me.
    It's just as awkward for the person on the till too really. Not as awkward as when I worked in Dunnes Stores years ago and women were coming up to the till (in the homeware department) with their knickers. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Piste wrote: »
    I agree that the way the pill is given out over here is awful, you have to pay a ridiculous GP fee to get a prescription and pay for the pill on top of that, there's no reason why it shouldn't be OTC!

REAlly so it should be given to any woman with her being assessed for it so that she can die from a blood clot or heamorage and bleed out as it is not suitable for her ? that would be real clever.

Contraception and contraception related trips to the dr should be free for all under 25s as it is int eh UK.

And if you do get conceive and finish out your pack of the pill for that month
    it does not mean that the progesterone will stop implantation occuring and you becoming pregnant. The pill is not 100% effective.

I was on the pill took it correctly finished out the month's package, didn't get sick, didnt' forget, wasn't on anti bios and I still became pregnant.

Well I was wondering about more after when implantation has occured, should the progestogen not be enough that it'll...un-implant itself?

I'd suggest reading the instructions on how it works that comes with the prescription.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    REAlly so it should be given to any woman with her being assessed for it so that she can die from a blood clot or heamorage and bleed out as it is not suitable for her ? that would be real clever.

The pharmacists usually have a one-on-one consultation, asking questions so its not like they're just handing it out to anybody.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I'd suggest reading the instructions on how it works that comes with the prescription.

I'm not going to go and get a prescription for the pill, then buy the pill just to read the instructions :)

• Advertisement

The pharmacists usually have a one-on-one consultation, asking questions so its not like they're just handing it out to anybody.

the issue with the morning after pill is that it is meant to be Emergency contraception but to many girls are using it as their main means of contraception.

Piste wrote: »
    Well I was wondering about more after when implantation has occured, should the progestogen not be enough that it'll...un-implant itself?

I just showed your question to my mum [who is a GP] and her answer is no it won't "un-implant itself" it will do absolutly nothing

the issue with the morning after pill is that it is meant to be Emergency contraception but to many girls are using it as their main means of contraception.

Surely there would be some means of keeping track of how many morning after pills are given to somebody?

The thing I'm trying to say is that our way of doing it here is antiquated and too expensive. A GP visit is usually around 50euro, with the morning after pill being around 20euro. So you are expected to pay in the region of 70euro(£GBP51.51), whereas in England its £25, or you could get it for free.

Surely there would be some means of keeping track of how many morning after pills are given to somebody?

The thing I'm trying to say is that our way of doing it here is antiquated and too expensive. A GP visit is usually around 50euro, with the morning after pill being around 20euro. So you are expected to pay in the region of 70euro(£GBP51.51), whereas in England its £25, or you could get it for free.

well I can't speak for other doctors but my Mum usally doesn't charge people who come and ask for the morning after pill.

I don't think we should make Emergency contraception easier to get, we should be making standard means of contraception easier. Condoms should be given out free at ever bar and club like they are at most gay clubs. Also hands up how many girls on here know how to use a female condom or have even seen one?

And alot more information needs to be given out on the different methods of contraception - barrier methods like condoms are best for STD's but a number of people have said they are in long term relationships and they use the pill but are people even aware of the other options of birth control like IUDs or Diaphragms?

Female condoms aren't popular because they suck....that has nothing to do with contraception awareness.

The thing is the morning after pill is equal about to 6months of the hormoanes that is in the normal "the pill" so taking it more then twice a year is really not a good idea.

Yes we need proper health based sex education in this country.
    Thing is who is going to provide it ?

Motosam wrote: »
    Yes but at first indication, missed period etc. I would be over to england, we're together on this one.

Well that is grand so. Seeing as abortion has no consequences and you can totaly judge your reaction before it happens to you.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Female condoms aren't popular because they suck....that has nothing to do with contraception awareness.

well they've been proven an effect tool againist the speard of HIV and or STD's in the developing world

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

eirebhoy wrote: »
    It's just as awkward for the person on the till too really. Not as awkward as when I worked in Dunnes Stores years ago and women were coming up to the till (in the homeware department) with their knickers. :D

I dont see why people are so anxious about buying them. My train of thought goes like this:
    "Yes that's right im having sex, giggidy giggidy"

Then if the girl behind the counter is hot I give her the "how you doin" eyes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Fire drills are taught in such a way that most people react properly, when not thinking clearly, in an emergency. Contraception needs to be taught this way too.
    I know almost all there is to know about sex and contraception and am relatively experienced. However nothing, anyperson or experience taught me, prepared me for the overwhelming urge to have sex that I experienced recently with a new partner.

Advertisement