Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Zune

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

yeah have to say, i hate dealing with mp3 software from my creative days, but the zune software is really easy to use, just turn auto synch off and drag over what you want, couldnt be simplier, the transfer time left in the synch status window device is also surprisingly accurate, which it never really seemed to be on my creative. i'm an exchange student living abroad for the year, and i use my vista media center laptop as my tv. it's great to be able to have a kinda scaled downed portable media center, i always pick out the good English programs on the guide, let my laptop record them automatically, then synch them with my Zune before i got to sleep to watch them on the train to my girlfriends or whatever, can't really get much easier or handier than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Only got around to trying out the video playback yday but wow, it is very very good.

I used this to convert my avis before adding them to the zune library.

Synched to the zune player and they look/sound/play perfect. Perfect for those long haul flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Whilst I have numerous different apps at home for ripping and converting
    DVD and video files, I picked up a copy of Cucusoft's Zune Video Suite.
    It's a great program and with the weak dollar works out cheap as chips.
    Several sites have it for 40% off RRP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

kudos on the cucusoft suite. Very quick and very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Guys is there a way to join up to the Zune marketplace? They keep telling me it's for US people...

• Advertisement

cheesedude wrote: »
    Guys is there a way to join up to the Zune marketplace? They keep telling me it's for US people...

My understanding is that unless you have a credit card registered with a
    US bank and a US postal address the short answer is no.

There was a way in the past but firmware updates and changes to
    Microsoft accounts and Xbox 360 accounts have stopped it.

Just to add; the lack of an access to the marketplace means you just can't purchase music/video
    via the MS store. All other functionality including podcasts works fine.

Can we subscribe to podcast through itunes?

Or to be more precise, how do i subscribe to podcasts like this on zune play? http://www.businessweek.com/mediacenter/podcasts/ent_notebook/current.html

Forget itunes, you don't need it for podcasts the Zune software
    will handle it all for you.

Following the link you provided, click on the link
    Grab this feed for a podcast reader other than iTunes

This will provide you with the RSS link

http://www.businessweek.com/search/podcasts/ent_notebook.rss

Just copy this link into the Zune program under
    Collection

Podcasts
    then select
    "Add a Podcast"
    Paste the link above in.This will work for all XML or RSS links

cool thanks a lot will try that...

Hey Gran Hermano, you seem to know good tools etc to use...can you recommend something that can help organise songs/albums i am synching? I have a load of songs on my zune that seperate themselves into different folders...and there is only like one song in each folder etc...is there an easier way to just dump every song i have into folders like A, B..C...etc and just have it all alphabetically in the zune as opposed to having all sorts of random songs in their own folder?

Unfortunately you can't browse by folder on the Zune, something I miss
    from my Iriver HP140/H340 days and becoming rarer in newer players.

The Zune uses the tag info and lets you browse by album, artist, etc.
    What I've done for my 'various artists' folders is to use either
    Media Monkey or Tag Scanner so that the tag info under the album
    field is the same for all songs in that folder (or compilation album).

I've also edited the track name for these compilations so under
    track tag field is actually similar to this:
    1 Track Name - Artist Name
    this means I have both the actual artist tag and album tag the
    same for all songs in that folder/compilation.

Example
    Track tag: 01 - Track Name - Artist Name
    Artist tag: Various Artists - Compilation Name
    Album tag: Compilation Name - Various Artists (Year)

It's a quick/dirty work around but it's working for me.
    Hope that helps.

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot, that's awesome, i'll give it a go...I had the IHP 120 before too and it's the main reason why I miss it...the iriver was a brilliant mp3 player for it's time. I only got the zune because it suddenly stoped working after 6 years...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Zune sounds great its a shame its not in Europe yet. Sometime in Spring 2008 is the closest launch date I can find on the web. I know they can be imported but when you do you have no warranty and since each Hard Drive player I've had has died around the year mark ipod Photo, Zen Touch, Zen Vision:M (only the Zen Touch 1 within warranty) I'm not risking it.
    They're built to crap out and as long as a warranty is included I'm ok with it at least until Flash gets to a higher (>60GB) capacity.

each Hard Drive player I've had has died around the year mark ipod Photo, Zen Touch, Zen Vision:M (only the Zen Touch 1 within warranty) I'm not risking it.

No offence but this sounds like an operator problem rather than hardware
    related. I still have numerous hard-drive based players (Iriver H140, H340,
    and several Zen Ms) I bought at launch over the years and all work fine
    still with weekly if not daily use.

Maybe I'm just an early adopter who'd rather take the risk and get my hands
    on the latest kit and look after it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Oh I know its my doing that causes them to die as I use it about 4-5 hrs a day through travel and in college. A lot of that would be whilst walking, some when jogging.

Key factor is Hard Disc players have moving parts, flash ones don't and I can't leave mine on a table or somewhere secure while I use it so they're going to keep failing until I move to flash. They're not built to last for the day to day mobility. So I'm waiting until someone other than Apple brings out a 80GB HDD player for Europe. I'm looking at you Creative and Microsoft - Hurry up with your Share and Zune! Archos 605 nice but too bulky and liable to be nicked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Xylophonic

Would anyone know a way of getting my Zune software, to stop editing the data (artist/album etc) of my songs? Everytime the player re sync's with my laptop it changes them back. Tis very annoying.

Darren

Xylophonic wrote: »
    Would anyone know a way of getting my Zune software, to stop editing the data (artist/album etc) of my songs? Everytime the player re sync's with my laptop it changes them back. Tis very annoying.

Darren

In the Zune program go to "Settings", "Software" and on the "Collection" tab
    you should have the options for:

Automatically update album art and media information
    - Only add missing information
    - Replace all media information

Try the only add missing info, if that doesn't work untick the auto update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Xylophonic

I tried that it's still not working, all the songs are appearing differently. On the player itself when I go to Artists, Coldplay are listed 16 times... :confused:

Xylophonic wrote: »
    I tried that it's still not working, all the songs are appearing differently. On the player itself when I go to Artists, Coldplay are listed 16 times... :confused:

Download tagscanner or media monkey (links in above posts in this thread)
    and examine what the tags are for the tracks in you Zune library (files
    on your hard-drive). Delete the tracks from your Zune and then copy the
    tracks back onto the Zune from your library.

I had to send my Zune back to my eBay seller because it was acting dodgy so he is going to send me a new one out.

I had this problem where all it would do is display "Contact support" in three different languages on it...then i tried to reset it using the button combo which erases everything on it so i could start all over again and it was stuck on the "Please Wait" screen for the best part of a day...so i had enough and sent it back to my seller who was really cool about it all...in fact, i sent the thing back still stuck on the "Please Wait" screen because the bloody thing would not even turn off for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I had to send my Zune back to my eBay seller because it was acting dodgy so he is going to send me a new one out.

I had this problem where all it would do is display "Contact support" in three different languages on it...then i tried to reset it using the button combo which erases everything on it so i could start all over again and it was stuck on the "Please Wait" screen for the best part of a day...so i had enough and sent it back to my seller who was really cool about it all...in fact, i sent the thing back still stuck on the "Please Wait" screen because the bloody thing would not even turn off for me!

Thats good that the ebay seller is replacing it for you. Thats something I was worried about if mine does die. Out of interest what is the reset button combinations?

• Advertisement

Thats good that the ebay seller is replacing it for you. Thats something I was worried about if mine does die. Out of interest what is the reset button combinations?

Hold the Back button and then press/hold UP to reset

Hold the Back button and then press hold DOWN to fully power off (as
    opposed to the normal standby/hibernate this saves more battery life).

Yeah I went and opened a dispute immediately in case he wouldn't send me a new one just so everything would be recorded between us...and it's still open until I receive the working one...

Special button combinations can be used to execute Zune player functions. These button tricks - not widely known - are sure to amuse and delight your friends.

And yes, they work with the new players as well as the updated 30GB.

# By default, Zune goes to "sleep" after a few minutes of inactivity, and then turns itself off. You can save a few millijoules of battery life by turning your player completely off when you're finished with it. How? Press and hold "down" on the Zune Pad, and press and hold the Back button.

# No matter what player function you're using, you can always quickly go back to the main menu. Just press and hold the Back button.

# To reset your player - also known as a "reboot" - press and hold the Back button, while pressing "up" on the Zune Pad.

# To reformat your player's drive, reset it as noted above. When it starts to reset, hold down the Back button, Center button, and Play button at the same time. Your player will inform you that it is deleting all media on device, and your Zune should revert to the "way it was" when you first pulled it out of the box. Careful! This will erase your player contents and you should rarely if ever need to do it.

Get more of these parlor tricks in our Zune tips page.

(Ref: http://www.zunerama.com/articles_024.php#071121_zune_story)

lol didn't see that he got there before me...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Any news on the zune support divx/xvid any time soon?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Don't think that'll be happening...ever....

Well we thought we'd never see divx/xvid support on the Xbox 360,
    until Microsoft updated it via a patch.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Well we thought we'd never see divx/xvid support on the Xbox 360,
    until Microsoft updated it via a patch.

I don't play vid games (except Mario Kart) I'm more into digital audio players...I don't think the Zune (current line up) will be getting any kind of divx/xvid patch though.

Mactard wrote: »
    I don't play vid games (except Mario Kart) I'm more into digital audio players...I don't think the Zune (current line up) will be getting any kind of divx/xvid patch though.

Whether you play video games or not is besides the point and irrelevant. He just made the point that a system owned by Microsoft known as the xbox 360 was never going to get divx/xvid support and then it did...so you should never write anything off yet.

Whether you play video games or not is besides the point and irrelevant. He just made the point that a system owned by Microsoft known as the xbox 360 was never going to get divx/xvid support and then it did...so you should never write anything off yet.

It is not besides the point, nor is it irrelevant, I made the comment that I do not play video games to point out that as I do not float in those circles I was not aware of that addition to the x360.

Based on my knowledge of the DAP world and the Microsoft ZUNE I do not believe Microsoft will be adding xvid/divx support to the current crop of Zune's.

If you feel like holding some hope that it will then by all means do, I am simply stating my opinion.

@Gran Hermano, if I have offended you I assure you it was not intentional and I am a little confused as to why cheesedude has reacted the way he has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Mactard wrote: »
    Don't think that'll be happening...ever....

xbox and xbox360 support divx now so....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement