Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Zune

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭mossie

[QUOTE=CantGetNoSleep:
    From post #145 (about 5 posts up the page from your post)...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by slickmcvic View Post
    .....I've ordered mine from this guy yesterday
    http://myworld.ebay.com/bindis_world/
    he's solda fair few of them and has great feedback!![/QUOTE]

Got mine from this guy too. Very fast despatch and the Zune is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Did no one get caught for customs so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

slickmcvic wrote: »
    zune landed today a week after ordering from the us.
    the packaging was very wet
    (probly after being manhandled by the customs!) but the device was top notch.
    no customs charges as the "gift" box was ticked.

Got round the us software clause by goin straight to microsoft and dowloading the 2.5 software.

Took me about 10 minutes to figure out how to sync my music and now its 40 gig full.

still trying to figure out how to transfer my wmv files and find the drag and drop feature talked about here.

...so far so good anyways
    You just add the wmv files to the zune software and synch to player then?

it might convert the wmv [i've had it with a few files, dont think they are native zune wmv supported files] but doesnt take any time at all really.

let me know if ya find drag & drop. would be trés handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭mossie

Did no one get caught for customs so?

No. The package was marked gift and value of $99. I think Customs don't bother with less than $100,

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

can you put windows media player playlists on your zune?

• Advertisement

.....I've ordered mine from this guy yesterday
    he's solda fair few of them and has great feedback!!

i'm not too far from Bray...I'll pm ya me no. thanks!
    Went to order one from this guy there but he's no longer a registered user, there was a powerseller in the UK selling them too but he doesnt have any 80gb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

can you put windows media player playlists on your zune?

No, the Zune software uses a different format - zpl

Cheerio

Went to order one from this guy there but he's no longer a registered user, there was a powerseller in the UK selling them too but he doesnt have any 80gb

Here's one that I would consider buying from.

In related news, the FCC by way of Gizmodo have details on a 120GB Zune. Check the post here

Cheers

hshortt wrote: »
    Here's one that I would consider buying from.

In related news, the FCC by way of Gizmodo have details on a 120GB Zune. Check the post here

Cheers
    What do people think, should I hold out a few weeks so? The numbers of 80gb Zunes available on ebay have dropped considerably in the last few weeks, maybe they are clearing them out?

It'll be towards the end of the year before this will be available, and a filling with the FCC doesn't mean a new product will be made available. It's just a really, really good indication that one is coming :). I have trouble filling my 80GB. Don't wait is my opinion.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Burnshard

Hey, i'm interested in getting one of these but all I can find on ebay are black ones, anybody know somewhere I could get a red one from?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

mines a red one from here

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I have to say these look rather bulky compared to an ipod touch. Is there a way to put 3rd party applications on them?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I have to say these look rather bulky compared to an ipod touch. Is there a way to put 3rd party applications on them?

That'd be because compared to an ipod touch it is rather bulky, however if you compare it to another like product, the ipod classic, it is not bulky at all.

Third party apps, no...it's not that kind of device, it's not aimed at that market.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Mactard wrote: »
    That'd be because compared to an ipod touch it is rather bulky, however if you compare it to another like product, the ipod classic, it is not bulky at all.

Third party apps, no...it's not that kind of device, it's not aimed at that market.

Ah ok I see, I had just got the impression that the Zune was in direct competition with the touch, I may look somewhere else so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Just got my 80GB Red Zune in the US last week and I'm well impressed :)
    I have to say these look rather bulky compared to an ipod touch
    I don't think there's that much difference between the touch and Zune 2 - yes it is a little bit bigger, but sod all....
    Is there a way to put 3rd party applications on them?

You can install games using VIsual C# Express and XNA Game Studio (both free) - so in theory if anybody wrote an App in Visual C# you could run it.

Full details on how to do it http://www.zuneboards.com/tip-of-the-week/how-to-install-games-on-your-zune.html

I've already put a few games on mine and they work fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

So when will the new zune be out do ye think. Where is a good place to buy a zune on the net. How much do they usually cost and how much does it cost to ship them to ireland.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

New Zune...not until 09.... upgraded model capacities will be available to buy in the US real soon.

New Zune...not until 09.... upgraded model capacities will be available to buy in the US real soon.

So what do people think will be in the new model in 09?

• Advertisement

A bitchin touchscreen, unlike other pretenders to apple's thrown I believe MS will implement a touchscreen that will work at the very least as well as the touch/iphone.

A bitchin touchscreen, unlike other pretenders to apple's thrown I believe MS will implement a touchscreen that will work at the very least as well as the touch/iphone.

If they can do that while keeping the price difference massive then they have a good shot. Would be cool if they made it a little thinner too. Perhaps making it a touch screen would give more space for extra screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Well there's plenty of info on the new Zune software and firmware upgrades
    out around the usual sites:

http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2008/sep08/09-08ZuneFallUpdatePR.mspx

http://zuneinsider.com/archive/2008/09/08/yep-we-re-doing-those-things.aspx

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-12519_7-10035257-49.html

And unlike other mp3 manufacturers, the new features will be available not
    only on the new players but also update the older players.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I can't wait for the 120gb version!

v3 software and zune sw out today fyi.

In werk atm, update later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

kaimera wrote: »
    v3 software and zune sw out today fyi.

In werk atm, update later.

Woohoo, games without having to install xna and all that cr*p

first impressions.

Zune mp3 gui is more slick looking if thats possible. Smaller font is much more pleasing on the eye imo.

clock is a solid addition. Not one I'd have thunked myself but now it's an option it's nice :)

2*games - Hexic & Texas Hold'Em. Havent tried either yet.

Zune software is again more refined looking. Not much else I can see off hand that jumps out at me.

kudos MS. A very nice update for the zune anyway.

80gig version here btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I've just installed the updates for the player and Zune software.

A quick tip if you want to see the new 'mix view' and marketplace features
    you'll need to go into "Control Panel" on your PC/laptop and change your
    region to USA.

So far I'm liking the games, clock and the new mixview and how it integrates
    with the Zune site on your internet browser.

Here's Mixview:

Comparison how new Zune software and Mixview compares to itunes and Genius here:
    http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/09/zune-recommenda.html
    Microsoft showed us a sneak preview of the Zune 3.0 software it plans to release on Sept. 16 with the latest generation of Zune devices, and what we saw made iTunes' simple Genius feature look like a blast from digital music's past. While iTunes serves up a text list of recommended songs within your library and from the iTunes store, adding to the more basic recommendations its MiniStore feature used to make, Zune reinvented the recommendation concept by collapsing artists, albums and fans into the same recommendation engine, more accurately mirroring the way people think about music.

The new feature, called MixView (pictured above), displays a single album, artist or user in the center of the screen and surrounds it with related items in a graphical format (sort of reminiscent of MusicPlasma, although Microsoft says it developed MixView all on its own). You can start on an artist and instantly discover which bands influenced that artist and vice versa, by mousing over those surrounding elements in MixView. Double-clicking through to any song plays a 30-second sample, offers a chance to buy the track or, if you're a Zune Pass subscriber, plays the track in its entirety.

Now if only MS will allow us to have full functionality outside the US !

(2nd Gen Zune 80 and Vista here)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭MrSparkle

Installed the update last night, I like the changes to the look of Zune software and it seems to be slightly faster.

It's a pity we can't get to the marketplace, I probably wouldn't buy that much off it but just to get to it would be handy.

I've a Zune 80 but thinking of getting the 120GB one, I'm not mad about the glossy front though, it might grow on me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I'm on marketplace.

Use zInternational

I then signed up with my Irish Credit Card and a false US Address. I presume it accepted the address as I'm already on XBox Live and my card details have been previously validated.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement