Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Zune

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

BrianD wrote: »
    Out of curiosity - how does everybody ID3 tag their various artists compilations? Do you use various artists as the artist name or the the actual artist?

Actual artists and then create a playlist of the compilation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

have to say i'm loving the zune now. I have it hooked up to my laptop speakers and just have my laptop on mute, it's a good way of checking out the bass on it, which is really really nice and wholesome, not stuttery at all. I'm using logitech x 230's which arent the best speakers, but the difference in sound quality between the laptop and the zune is very noticeable, the zune is better sound by a country mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭alienhead

i want a zune

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

seriously thinking of gettign one - few questions first

Can you drag and drop music onto it or do you have to synch?
    Is the radio decent quality?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

kida wrote: »

You have to use the Zune software, no MTP, no UMS.

Radio is supposed to be top notch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

BrianD wrote: »
    I got a Zune for Crimbo and must say I'm pretty impressed (though it is the first digital music playrer that I have owned). Main plus is that it has a FM radio with RDS.

Out of curiosity - how does everybody ID3 tag their various artists compilations? Do you use various artists as the artist name or the the actual artist?

completely off topic - but winamp 5.51 does autotagging of badly tagged tracks very well
    in about 10 mins i went from having 100's of "various" and "various artist" tracks to having none
    :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

kida wrote: »

I think I read somewhere about a hack to use the new zune as a portable hdd. Not willing to chance it myself really.

kaimera wrote: »
    I think I read somewhere about a hack to use the new zune as a portable hdd. Not willing to chance it myself really.

nope - not the new Zune...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Reading up about the zune has also made me tempted.
    Strange question but how is the volume changed? Would you be able to do it if you weren't looking at the player?
    Also does it come with a case or does anyone have any recommendations for a case with a belt clip?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

The click-pad on the Zune supports both touch and clicking, so
    unlike the itouch you can easily operate it if it's in a pocket without
    taking it out to look at it.

It doesn't come with a case. I ordered a selection from Amazon US
    and Zuneone.net and hope to have them over the next week.

The only feature it's missing is drag and drop otherwise its an A1 player.

• Advertisement

Ordered a case from ebay last week, didn't cross my mind to try amazon.

Press/Flick up/down for audio when in play mode; otherwise up and down thru menus

• Registered Users Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

One question, can you designate whichever folders you want with regards to syncing up wirelessly or does it only look in the "My Music" folder in "My Documents"? I have all my music stored on a separate drive to my primary c: drive and it would be a pain to have to move it.

Same as WMP, you choose in the zune sw settings which folder(s) you want to add to the library.

Whatever is then in the lib can be synched over wifi. Haven't tried it myself yet, usb cable does me grand cos I'm usually charging it at the same time.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/20/games-for-zune-details-hands-on/

Not sure how much I'd use them tbh; got a DS for games but nice to see them do something.

Pity the zune marketplace isn't available in IRL; I used to be able to login with my xbl account but not since I updated the zune sw. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

ebay

but the zen vision m > zune

you can buy the zen vision off creatives site for €140

Bull****, the new zune is a masterpiece compared to the zen vision...

The new zune is better than the ipod features wise and sound quality wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MusicGirl1

Hey everyone! I am new here - this is my first post. I'm not technically challenged. I have been in the IT field for 15 years, so don't think I am crazy or unknowledgeable when I say this...I had a 30Gb Zune and I hated everything about it. Six months after I bought it (read: yesterday) the HDD crapped out on me. I would NEVER recommend this device to anyone. I was smart enough to get the 2 yr product replacement plan with it and I'm getting a full refund from Best Buy. I will never buy another. Now I am looking at the 32Gb Zen.

MusicGirl1 wrote: »
    Hey everyone! I am new here - this is my first post. I'm not technically challenged. I have been in the IT field for 15 years, so don't think I am crazy or unknowledgeable when I say this...I had a 30Gb Zune and I hated everything about it. Six months after I bought it (read: yesterday) the HDD crapped out on me. I would NEVER recommend this device to anyone. I was smart enough to get the 2 yr product replacement plan with it and I'm getting a full refund from Best Buy. I will never buy another. Now I am looking at the 32Gb Zen.

Unlucky... HDD as you know aren't the best option for a portable device...it could have happened with ANY hard drive based DAP, not specifically the zune.
    From what I have read the SQ is really highly regarded and I love the GUI videos I've seen.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, I definitely recommend you do some research on the ZEN before you buy it, or you may well be recommending people to stay away from that too...best of luck with what ever you do buy.

Mactard wrote: »
    Unlucky... HDD as you know aren't the best option for a portable device...it could have happened with ANY hard drive based DAP, not specifically the zune.
    From what I have read the SQ is really highly regarded and I love the GUI videos I've seen.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, I definitely recommend you do some research on the ZEN before you buy it, or you may well be recommending people to stay away from that too...best of luck with what ever you do buy.

Thanks Mactard - it wasn't just the HDD issue that turned me away from loving this thing. That was the icing on the cake. It was all the issues with their software AND the issue with the HDD that had me throw the towel in. Maybe in 5 years I'll change my mind about it, but for now, it's just way too quirky for me.

True...the first generation Zune i.e. the zune 30 was **** apparently...

The new 80gb is the second generation version and is a far better mp3 player than the old zune and the new ipod in my opinion.

Go to google.com and get zome zune 80 reviews...you won't be dissapointed.

The first and second gen zunes both use the same GUI and software now, so... take what you will from that...

• Advertisement

I don't see that the 80 will differ much from the 30 in the way it handles my music especially if it's using the same software. The software would sync multiple copies of the same song to my Zune daily. Not just one or two copies either, but 8 to 12 copies! Of course I couldn't delete them from the Zune directly and when you looked in the software, you only saw one copy, so it was impossible to get rid of them. I spent a week and a half fixing all of the tags on my 3200+ music collection, only for the software to still behave as though there were UNKNOWNS even with all of the information right there! Some days, I would plug the Zune in and it would just start deleting music from it, even though the music was still in the same place (same folder) that it has been in for years! There were all these workarounds, like change the settings to "Forget this Device" but why would I want to do that? It's my main system where all of my music is. Or the ever popular, change your settings to not automatically sync, but let you choose. That did not work. All of my music, pics and video were set to manual sync.

Playing music on a PMP should NOT be this difficult.

The synching issue was addressed in the zune software 2.3 update.

Don't knock the 80 cos the 30 caused you problems.

The synching issue was addressed in the zune software 2.3 update.

Don't knock the 80 cos the 30 caused you problems.

I clearly complained about the software. No where in my posts did I knock the 80. The most I said about it is that I didn't see how it would differ from the 30 if it were using the same software.

I clearly complained about the software

Fine but like I said, the software has been updated with fixes for the problems [or so the changelog said]

Fine but like I said, the software has been updated with fixes for the problems [or so the changelog said]

I can tell you with all my heart - the changelog lied! :D The synching issues were there day in and day out and they never went away. I even had the software setup to let me manually choose what to sync (pics, video and music). It always synced automatically anyway. It was so frustrating. Now, I have to replace it and I dont' even know what device to replace it with! There's so many out there. All I do know is I hate not having my music with me. Life is dull without music. LOL!

A lot of people out there don't have the issue your complaining of...and if they were there, the software did get rid of it according to the change log.

MusicGirl1 wrote: »
    I can tell you with all my heart - the changelog lied! :D The synching issues were there day in and day out and they never went away. I even had the software setup to let me manually choose what to sync (pics, video and music). It always synced automatically anyway. It was so frustrating. Now, I have to replace it and I dont' even know what device to replace it with! There's so many out there. All I do know is I hate not having my music with me. Life is dull without music. LOL!
    You can let it auto synch or choose to do it yourself in the software settings.

If you take option B it creates 'sync groups' [from what I've gathered is all the artists or albums that you have synched] and when you plug in your zune it auto checks these for changes and synces these.

What you can do is remove the folders containing your pictures and video from the library via the software settings and then just drag and drop the ones you'd like to have in your library.

Yes, the software isn't great at times and takes a bit of getting used to but it's not as bad you're making it out to be imo.

All I am doing is trying to tell of my own experience with the device. Isn't that what a forum is for? Take from it what you will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Must confess I've had none of the problems MusicGirl1 has encountered
    and I've had my Zune 80 for 6 weeks and have transferred 40 gig of music
    and 20 gig of video to it already using the Zune software to sync it.

As for which player to get to replace the Zune - why not ask your boss
    Mr S Jobs ;)

• Advertisement

As for which player to get to replace the Zune - why not ask your boss
    Mr S Jobs ;)

ROFL! :D Thanks Gran! You made me laugh! :rolleyes: I wouldn't want an iPod if you gave it to me for free!!! I'm actually looking at the Sansa and Creative PMPs right now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement