Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Poweredge Server €149 exVAT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Ok Folks,

I installed the latest drivers last night and still ended up with the same problem.

The error messages I am getting are

First "The display control panel is unable to change the display settings. You may not have the appropriate administrative rights to change these settings"

When I click ok the second pops up
    Second "The display settings being saved are invalid. Please try a combination of display settings.

then it locks up the screen resolution bar and I cant change from 800x600
    and the colour goes to 4bit and I cant change this either.

If anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated.

Bazual

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭tadgh

Are you sure that you didn't damage any of the pins during the Mod.?
    I have done the same mod and used the same 7300GS and all is working OK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

bazual wrote: »
    Ok Folks,

I installed the latest drivers last night and still ended up with the same problem.

The error messages I am getting are

First "The display control panel is unable to change the display settings. You may not have the appropriate administrative rights to change these settings"

When I click ok the second pops up
    Second "The display settings being saved are invalid. Please try a combination of display settings.

then it locks up the screen resolution bar and I cant change from 800x600
    and the colour goes to 4bit and I cant change this either.

If anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated.

Bazual

Can you see the 7300 in device manager ? The drivers will not install properly if the card is not detected.

Thanks folks,

I will check the pins again tonight when I go home.
    Its showing up fine in the device manager under the display adapters and says its working fine.

From looking around on the net it may be that I damaged something, I will take another look later.

Thanks again.

Bazual.

Hi Folks,

Just to point out, I have the server plugged into a 32" LCD TV, I didnt think this would make any difference but after reviewing a few other forums that have got the same error message maybe its worth mentioning.

Does anyone think this makes a difference?

Thanks

Bazual

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Sneaky_Russian

Whats the max Hard disk you can put into these machines.

On the site i recall it saying 1 TB - was that the max that could be spec'ed when ordering or the that the maximum, limited by the hardware?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭whiteboard

One too many of these babies, so one available if anyone wants it.

Link
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=43012

whitey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭newbusiness

Hi Folks,

Just to point out, I have the server plugged into a 32" LCD TV, I didnt think this would make any difference but after reviewing a few other forums that have got the same error message maybe its worth mentioning.

Bazual

What problem are you having?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

What OS are people using on this machine?

I installed an evaluation copy of Windows Server 2008 but it will only last until June and it is not the best for a use as a home PC. I'd love to install Vista or XP SP2 but there is no way I am shelling out for an OS on top of what I spent for a graphics/sound card and additional RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭bardcom

Raekwon wrote: »
    What OS are people using on this machine?

I installed an evaluation copy of Windows Server 2008 but it will only last until June and it is not the best for a use as a home PC. I'd love to install Vista or XP SP2 but there is no way I am shelling out for an OS on top of what I spent for a graphics/sound card and additional RAM.

"No way I'm shelling out" implies you aren't happy to spend money on an OS.

Obvious answer then. Put Linux on it.

Doh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Philbert

Folks,

There are more servers for sale for €149 ex vat & shipping here. Does anybody have an EPP code for this one?

Also, how does the T105 rate against the SC1430?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Thanks for your post Philbert. It's €195 including VAT and delivery. Enter this code 305-PE1T1052 on the www.dell.ie/epp web site. I'd say this'll mean another Bargain Boards Dell server grab. :D

Hurry it's "limited" to just 1,000 units! Yeah right! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,063 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

looks like pretty much the same spec... except amd instead of intel and 512mb ram instead of 1gb

not sure how the intel compares to the amd
    these are the expansion slots it has
    One 3.3-V, half-length 32-bit, 33-MHz PCI (slot 4)
    One 2.5-Gb/sec PCIe x1 (slot 3)
    Two 2.5-Gb/sec PCIe x8 (slots 1 and 2)

the sc440 had an extra standard pci slot

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

when i enter 123-SC44402 in e-value code it come back with
    We're sorry, but we are unable to process your request to configure the identified product.

can some one tell me having same problem????

Folks,

I just got this for €188 including delivery.

Go to
    http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/emea/topics/epp/epp?c=ie&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ieepp1

Then Enter in code 123-SC44402

It should come up for €188 including delivery.

A Bargain at that price......

Bazual

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Oracle wrote: »
    I'd say this'll mean another Bargain Boards Dell server grab. :D

It beeeeegiins! I think your right, there will be a demand for this!Thanks for spotting it OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

wasim21k wrote: »
    when i enter 123-SC44402 in e-value code it come back with
    We're sorry, but we are unable to process your request to configure the identified product.

can some one tell me having same problem????

Your using the e-value code from the old offer thats expired, theres a new offer out so that codes invalid.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

@wasim21k: Read this post for the latest code. Note that this is a different machine.
    Oracle wrote: »
    Thanks for your post Philbert. It's €195 including VAT and delivery. Enter this code 305-PE1T1052 on the www.dell.ie/epp web site. I'd say this'll mean another Bargain Boards Dell server grab. :D

Hurry it's "limited" to just 1,000 units! Yeah right! :rolleyes:

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

couldnt stop, i orderd one and some 2gb memory from other site i hop it will arrive soon. how long it will take any one know ????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Ordered one myself just now. With a gig of ram for €217.28. Hopefully I can't get a decent PCI-E Sata card for a nice price. It'll replace my aging P4 1.7 512 server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

How noisy are these? Could you use one as a home media center?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

BostonB wrote: »
    How noisy are these? Could you use one as a home media center?

The SC440 I have is pretty quiet, helluva lot quieter than an Xbox 360, that's for sure. I have a passive graphics card installed which helps (you'll need a sound card too). Might be a little on the large side to be a media centre; however, if you have a cupboard or sideboard to put it into, then you might be sorted. Heavy duty steel case too which helps to absorb some of the fan noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I should have said home media server. Stuck in a cupboard rather than under the telly.

That's what mine will be. Current ones lives in the attic. Serves out smb, nfs, ftp, mysql, postgresql, web and other shite. Plan for the new one is to go raid 5 for data, and i'll use the two bundled 80's for OS and DB in a raid 1. I'll see the dremel and some mechano being used I think.

Hmmm, ordered last night, but it's not showing up online. That was using the epp. What to do. At least it's extended for another week, so I can order it it with 1 gig for €263.78.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

That sounds normal, your order takes 24-48 hrs. to show up on Dell's system.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

They are whisper quiet BostonB :D

I still have not made the move from my old media centre to this. I currently have Ubuntu Linux and Server 2003 dual booting. My 300gb hard drive though, which has all my media as IDE and the server is only SATA. So i need to get a usb enclosure for it.

Its quieter than the Primergy econel i currently use for the media centre (where the server 2003 license came from).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You wouldn't happen to have a clamp meter hanging around to measure power usage, would you Saruman? See this thread for context. :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Saruman wrote: »
    My 300gb hard drive though, which has all my media as IDE and the server is only SATA. So i need to get a usb enclosure for it.
    Optical drive is IDE. Could you not slot your drive in somewhere?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

esel wrote: »
    Optical drive is IDE. Could you not slot your drive in somewhere?

Damn it you are right... I only opened it once and took a glance in, did not see any IDE ports... i guess i assumed the optical was SATA.
    My only excuse is it was dark as the corner i have it in gets little light.

Right then... I have so many projects to do. Varnish my bar, install my CCTV system, and Transfer my Media Centre into the server.
    So little time damn it and im wasting it on boards :D

edit I actually got everything done today! In fact i got more done than i thought i would. Im wrecked though.

I did however mess up my codecs on the media centre. Something did not look right and now all i get is black screen. Will have to sort it out tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Tech Overhaul

I ordered one of these 2 days ago through epp and I got the following reply this evening.

"I'm mailing regarding an order you have placed with our employee purchase program for the server below. As this offer is for small business only and is enterprise product it breaks the terms of Dell's employee purchase agreement. Therefore your orders are not eligible for this promo and will be cancelled immediately."

Did anybody else get this or was I just unlucky?

Advertisement