Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katy French in a critical condition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Laslo wrote: »
    Don't read rags then. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

I generally don't. I read some tabloids here in work for sports coverage which is usually fairly good. Normally i buy the Indo and even that has pictures of her the odd time. I generally don't watch tripe like "Celebrities" being out in a bog for a week nor "Celebrities" appearing on Tubridy Tonight to publicise themselves and yet i know who this cretin is and what she looks like. It's hard to avoid her mug no matter what you read or look at it.

So what? Who's to blame anyway? Katy French who wants the attention or the media who give it to her... or the morons who read their papers/magazines?

I think i made it clear that i felt Katy French is to blame. It was quite obviously staged to she could flash her minge and guarantee her picture appears in the papers yet again. The media are just interested in filling column inches with what ever tripe is handed to them and the "morons" who buy the papers are just buying a paper to read. They are not buying it specifically to look at her. So if she keeps engineering ways to get into the press then its hard to avoid her, is it not??

I would agree that she's not exactly top of my respectability list as she has no discernable talent to speak of. But generally models don't - all they're really supposed to do is look pretty. That's their job.

Has it ever occurred to you that the reason Katy French is in all these magazines and papers is because people like you are buyingthem?

First off i don't buy "those" papers or magazines you refer to.

She is a model correct, so why does she not do exactly that? Model clothes? Why was she saying in an interview (in Hot Press i think) that she NEVER took hard drugs in her entire life a few weeks ago? Yet when those silly sods down in Waterford O.D. on what ever two weeks ago Miss French was in the papers stating that she did take cocaine from an early age but had now given all that up. She apparently wanted to warn us all of the dangers of cocaine, (bless her cotton socks), and it had absolutely nothing to do with getting her face in the papers again. What has that got to do with being a model exactly?

I know very little about Katy French. Maybe she's bitchy and bad natured - but it would seem, Fozzy Bear, that so are you. I don't really see the difference between bitchy celebrity types and the idiots that read about them (and then consequently bitch about "having" to read about them)

You know very little about while i know too much about her for my liking. I know what she looks like, that she had a birthday party last week where she "forgot" to wear knickers. I know that she has snored cocaine. I know that she "broke up" with some bloke that she was supposed to be engaged to who owns a restaurant. I know she has appeared on tv several times as she is a "celebrity". As i say i don't buy tabloids or read them normally, the same for gossip mags and i abhor any sort of celebrity/reality tv show. I have not researched or taken any special interest in her life and yet i know all this about her. Is that my fault or hers that i can't really avoid seeing her or stories about her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Is she still alive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Is that my fault or hers that i can't really avoid seeing her or stories about her?

Neither, it's the media for printing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭underpants

The bottom line is people seem to lover her or hate her. just look at how much attention this thread is after getting!
    even from the people who say they have no interest in her. you guys are still stoking the fires and feeding the media frenzy around katy french.
    People seem to like to talk about her. It doesn't matter if it's good or if it's bad, it still sells papers or gets people talking about did you see the story/pic of katy french in the paper X.
    the papers get some free publicity, sell a few extra copies, Katy gets paid and Irish citizen's get to do what they love to do best, moan, groan and begrudge.
    Everyone wins!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I have not researched or taken any special interest in her life and yet i know all this about her. Is that my fault or hers that i can't really avoid seeing her or stories about her?
    I (assume) have been living in the same country as you and this is the first I've heard of her. She's not attractive, which is probably why I haven't noticed her. How come I can unwillingly avoid stuff about her and you can't? Perhaps you actually read the entertainment and gossip columns?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    I have been ringing up all off the radio stations today and trying to get Girlfriend in a Coma by the Smiths played with a dedication to Marcus Sweeney, but alas, i have still to hear it played.

Legend

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭NAGGIE03

Hows she doing anyhow!!
    Can i jus say no matter whether she was posing on grafton st or milkin a pig or whatever it obviously worked cos she affected ye in some way!! Remember theres no such thing as bad publicity!! Jordan was despised by most women for years!! Now shes a heroine!! She even won woman of the year award in ELLE magazine!! who saw that comin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I generally don't. I read some tabloids here in work for sports coverage which is usually fairly good. Normally i buy the Indo and even that has pictures of her the odd time. I generally don't watch tripe like "Celebrities" being out in a bog for a week nor "Celebrities" appearing on Tubridy Tonight to publicise themselves and yet i know who this cretin is and what she looks like. It's hard to avoid her mug no matter what you read or look at it.

Seriously, how much effort is it NOT to look at a picture of her, or NOT to read an article about her?

I think i made it clear that i felt Katy French is to blame. It was quite obviously staged to she could flash her minge and guarantee her picture appears in the papers yet again. The media are just interested in filling column inches with what ever tripe is handed to them and the "morons" who buy the papers are just buying a paper to read. They are not buying it specifically to look at her. So if she keeps engineering ways to get into the press then its hard to avoid her, is it not??

you don't think the papers have the choice not to publish the story?
    First off i don't buy "those" papers or magazines you refer to.

She is a model correct, so why does she not do exactly that? Model clothes? Why was she saying in an interview (in Hot Press i think) that she NEVER took hard drugs in her entire life a few weeks ago? Yet when those silly sods down in Waterford O.D. on what ever two weeks ago Miss French was in the papers stating that she did take cocaine from an early age but had now given all that up. She apparently wanted to warn us all of the dangers of cocaine, (bless her cotton socks), and it had absolutely nothing to do with getting her face in the papers again. What has that got to do with being a model exactly?

Now, do you think that:
    a: She rang hot press and DEMANDED to have her views printed or
    b: Hot Press rang her or her agent and asked for a quote or an interview?
    . Is that my fault or hers that i can't really avoid seeing her or stories about her?

Cause it's got to be one or the other, right?

If you were paid a large sum of money to post on boards would you take the job, or would you think "actually, these people don't want to hear my opinions - I'm annoying them, I'll find something else to do".

honestly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

The front page of the Herald says that she's 'clinging to life'. However I haven't seen any updates so don't know where they're getting that info.

Btw: This thread has had over 10,300 views in little more than a day. There have been over one hundred people anytime I've checked this morning (and believe me, I've had to check a lot thanks to all the muppets who decided to play fast and loose with the libel laws).

Ker-azy.

Stargal wrote: »
    The front page of the Herald says that she's 'clinging to life'. However I haven't seen any updates so don't know where they're getting that info.

Btw: This thread has had over 10,300 views in little more than a day. There have been over one hundred people anytime I've checked this morning (and believe me, I've had to check a lot thanks to all the muppets who decided to play fast and loose with the libel laws).

Ker-azy.

10,300 views by people who don't know who she is. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

tbh wrote: »
    10,300 views by people who don't know who she is. ;)
    Lol! Yeah it's especially surprising the number of people who've never heard of her but still felt compelled to leave a comment ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Btw: This thread has had over 10,300 views in little more than a day. There have been over one hundred people anytime I've checked this morning...
    Ker-azy.

Right now there are 20 members and 106 guests...the vast majority of these guests are in fact search engine and adserver crawlers. Also, the thread view increments each time one of these spiders views so the actual human thread view is likely to be about 500-1000 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Lol! Yeah it's especially surprising the number of people who've never heard of her but still felt compelled to leave a comment ;)

I commented about 3 times since yesterday but had never heard of the woman until viewing the thread. It is human nature I suppose...like car crash television, you know it is dirty but you just cannot help looking and talking about it. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Kar0ma

The simple fact is Sex Sells both to men and women. Men will decry the scarlett harlot while secretly wanting her, and women will aspire to be fasionable like her while secretly despising her fame.

This country is not alone in elevating people to the status of celebrity, but where the UK revels in the Chaviness of them, Ireland treats these celebs almost as upper class folk.

How often have we seen the trashy promotional photos but also photos of 'celebs' attending posh dos as well.

Personally she is a pretty girl, I don't really care who or what she is, as she has no impact on my life. It is unfortunate that my first thought is of OD when I hear she is in hospital. Perhaps she will reflect on this when or if she recovers.

What we can all do without is a Gloria Hunniford style raping of her name ala her daughter, 3 books, 2 radio documentaries and 2 TV docs at the last count. I don't mean to belittle Gloria or her grief but their is a thin and tasteful line between public grief and public promotion.

I have no doubt that RTE is currently in a bidding war with Katy's agent for the rights to her first recovery interview/public funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭chabsey

tbh wrote: »
    If you were paid a large sum of money to post on boards would you take the job, or would you think "actually, these people don't want to hear my opinions - I'm annoying them, I'll find something else to do".

honestly now.

Continuing the boards comparison; if I was offered good money to post on boards with opinions that wavered and varied depending on how much more money I'd be paid or how much I could increase my post-count irrespective of the relevance of those opinions expressed, yes I'd take the job. However, I wouldn't be at all suprised at any expressions of relief on the day I decided to stop posting, self interest would lead me to take the job and so why would I be surpised when people were happy when I stopped?

chabsey wrote: »
    Continuing the boards comparison; if I was offered good money to post on boards with opinions that wavered and varied depending on how much more money I'd be paid or how much I could increase my post-count irrespective of the relevance of those opinions expressed, yes I'd take the job. However, I wouldn't be at all suprised at any expressions of relief on the day I decided to stop posting, self interest would lead me to take the job and so why would I be surpised when people were happy when I stopped?

but why would boards pay you if no-one wanted to read you?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Spicy123

She is an ordinary girl. And the reason people shouldn't be bad mouthing her is not only because they don't know her, but because the girl could die...it's called having a bit of respect.

I hate the stuff when people say "I'm not a hypocrit, so I'll say what I like". I'd rather be a hypocrit than be disrespectful and hurt someones feelings.

And even if the girl was doing drugs, which there is no proof that she was nor do I personally believe she was, there is nothing to say this would have been the cause of her illness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Never heard of her tbh, but with so many views had to take a peek.
    Iv'e read the thread, every post, and find it unbelieveable how so many people can speculate at what happened. Hoping almost that it was something self inflicted.

Regardless of what happened to her, i wish her a full recovery. Live and let live. Why is it so hard to do that in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

themadchef wrote: »
    Iv'e read the thread, every post, and find it unbelieveable how so many people can speculate at what happened.

Isn't it obvious??
    She's normally on the cover of the Sunday papers, her public life splashed all over the place (the way she and her publicity machine would want it), yet now... when a huge issue has striked and may potential end her life, we are being restricted to the finding out the truth and knowing what happened.
    It's now ironic that so many are wondering what's happened and want to know and speculate.

That's the power of 'celebs'. Love 'em or hate 'em, they wield a huge amount of power, but they're not always the ones in control of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

im truly shocked by the amount of hate filled venom directed towards katie french in here
    not only is she a beautifull girl , ive seen her interviewed on both tv and radio and shes not only articulate and inteligent , shes throughly charming and can unlike many of the so called beautiful people , laugh at herself

ive seen her in papers and ive never thought any of her shots were all that racy

i do hope the delightfull katy makes a full recovery and i hope the haters in here get better too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

I can't see it on the Sky News website?

No one hates her, its just that some people see her as media hungry, while others see her as a lovely articulate girl.

Its hard to shake off the stigma of drug taking once exposed. I am sure to her parents she is priceless, so for their sakes we should wish her well.

As for the media, the combination of a pretty girl with a drug and failed romance past equals increased exposure. Katy knows this and makes money out it. One wonders whether if it was an unattractive girl would she get so much press. We all know the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭weareallmarks

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1295581,00.html

we have wars all over the world pverty hurricanes and all else and this is on the front page?

Why do the press continually describe Katy as the Controversial Model?

What has she done, that any 18 year old hasn't done on a friday night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭parliament

whiskeyman wrote: »
    The irony here being that so many of these research trusts / care units depend on the work of 'celebs' / their famous patrons to spread their word, do promotion etc... to get vital funding...

No, the workers who run the fund raising organisations are the ones who spread the word and do the promotion (all while commuting in the same traffic in the rest of us for about half the pay) the celebrity usually only appears at the end of the project in order to attract the photographers, motivation for this varies bu you can be assured they are mainly doing it for thelselves.

Lets show respect for the people who really deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭weareallmarks

as a young girl she is seen (by old people) as a role model for their kids. and whatever she does is magnified cause of the whole media hooring that on top of some peoples jelousy and anger over drugs makes her controversial i think...

to me she is just a bleached dub girl. theres thousands of them who are identical to her walkin/flashin up and down grafton every weekend.

parliament wrote: »
    No, the workers who run the fund raising organisations are the ones who spread the word and do the promotion (all while commuting in the same traffic in the rest of us for about half the pay) the celebrity usually only appears at the end of the project in order to attract the photographers, motivation for this varies bu you can be assured they are mainly doing it for thelselves.

Lets show respect for the people who really deserve it.

I'd never heard of the landmines charity before di and heather mills
    I'd never heard of End Poverty Now before Bob and Bono.
    I'd never heard of the rainforest until sting and that bloke with the CD in his lip on Wogan. The list goes on. To say that celebs don't attract attention to a cause is being facitious.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

We are seeing a lot of schedenfraude in this thread. Never heard of her till I saw her on Tubridy. Hope she gets well

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Just heard on the radio shes dead there....

RIP Katie

:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

parliament wrote: »
    cool by association; I hope you extend your best wishes to the hundreds of less fortunate people who take ill every day. Guess some people still live in hope that they will get to meet their heroes in person and recall how they wished them the best when they were ill all while their hero looks down on them with in amazement at the loyalty of their lesser beings
    As it happens, I do! I work in a job which brings me in contact with lots of sick people. Anyway, this thread is about Katy French and I'm entitled to extend my good wishes to her.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement