Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac Donagh Station Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Is it just me or is the court yard in it always freezing whereever you sit?

I was there in costa coffee and was feeekin freezing the other day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

KatCookie wrote: »
    Yeah, i believe we discussed this at length..
    i cant think of any shop that i'd put in there, only a music shop really..
    Game possibly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Game possibly?
    Game what? like GameStop? (enough demand?)
    or games as in arcades? (That would attract to much of the wrong crowd!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Game what? like GameStop? (enough demand?)
    or games as in arcades? (That would attract to much of the wrong crowd!)

I think they meant the shop which has the simple title, Game.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I actually think its a disappointing shopping center. It hasn't got a lot in it. Its huge, lots of open space with several shops and a few big names. I felt they didn't use the space wisely and it could have been a lot better if the designers did a better job of the units and the space.

Then again, its a lot better then Dungarvans "shopping center" which is a waste of space tbh!

Oh and is it definate Zavvi are going? If so when and is there any decent sale on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I'd say Zaavi will be gone in the next couple of days. Everyone I've spoken to has said the sale is amazing but I think it's a scam. My boyfriend went into get a CD which had been €12 on Monday...but was €13 when he went to get it. While waiting for him I was looking at a DVD set. There was one left at the original price of €22 but the rest were marked 'CLEAROUT - 23.99'. That's a €2 mark up. It's all a bit dodgy for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I've heard the same stories from UK stores. When they give €/£x off the price, it is off the original RRP (or whatever they call it these days) rather than the price they had been selling it for. So it can result it items actually costing more than they were previously sold for.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Kahless wrote: »
    I've heard the same stories from UK stores. When they give €/£x off the price, it is off the original RRP (or whatever they call it these days) rather than the price they had been selling it for. So it can result it items actually costing more than they were previously sold for.

i thinking back to 5th year business studies here but when an item is offered in a sale, the sale price has to be a % of what the item was previously priced at in the shop. not a % of the rrp.

example
    original price of an item is 20.00 but rrp is 30.00

if it is marked 50% off, then should it cost 10.00 and not 15.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Kahless wrote: »
    one of the big rackets in the uk is that the larger shopping stores only have to put the item at a higher price in one of its shops for a week ,and then they can sell the item in there other stores at a lower price and say its on sale, i bet that is what is happening in ireland now

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

"Unless otherwise indicated, the goods must have been on sale in the same place at that previous price for a reasonable time."

from here http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Guides-to-Consumer-Law/Prices/Previous_prices.html

interesting.........

• Advertisement

ergonomics wrote: »
    I think they meant the shop which has the simple title, Game.

Ah yes, i have actually heard of it! :o

i dont think its much of a scam, lost of decent things in there for about €7-8 and 30% off marked price.. some empty shelves though!

bennyob wrote: »
    "Unless otherwise indicated, the goods must have been on sale in the same place at that previous price for a reasonable time."

from here http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Guides-to-Consumer-Law/Prices/Previous_prices.html

interesting.........

Many normal consumer laws don't apply to a business in administration. I don't know if this specifically does or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

I always thought Zavvi/Virgin was expensive so it really doesn't surprise me they went into administration. I think with the internet people are looking at the best deals. I haven't been near Zavvi for the simple reason even with their added 30% off they are still expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭stevek21

ergonomics wrote: »
    I'd say Zaavi will be gone in the next couple of days. Everyone I've spoken to has said the sale is amazing but I think it's a scam. My boyfriend went into get a CD which had been €12 on Monday...but was €13 when he went to get it. While waiting for him I was looking at a DVD set. There was one left at the original price of €22 but the rest were marked 'CLEAROUT - 23.99'. That's a €2 mark up. It's all a bit dodgy for me.

Its not a scam, more likely mispriced stock. If you bring the cheaper item up to the counter, you will still get another 30% off that price.
    Also, nowhere in the store do they have was/now pricing, so its not officially a sale, but I know that about 95% of the stock in did come down in price, very little if any went up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

stevek21 wrote: »
    Its not a scam, more likely mispriced stock.
    that would seem to be it. i was in there last week, i had picked out three DVDs that were 3 for €25 on the shelf which would be reduced by 30% at the till but as i was going to the till i passed another shelf that had all three DVDs for €5 each.
    i put back the others, picked up the three €5 DVDs and got 30% off €15 rather than €25.
    bad stock keeping but then again forced administration means there weren't capable hands at the ZAVVI tiller.
    Richard Branson couldn't have divested at a better time. so which investment fund shat themselves on that purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭contact23

i think no matter what the price is, or was, or wanted to be , the thing that we all should be looking for is value, and if any product seems too expensive , then it porbably is , and if its too cheap then it probly is too, and ure being sold a pup , so look for value and if u dont get it .. keep your cash! I did manage to pick up the shineing there for 4 quid ... cheap scares!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Zavvi is gone. It's official. Closed down today (terrible timing, was going to go in for some bargains tomorrow :mad:).

http://www.zavvi.co.uk/storeDetail.jsf?storeId=765&region=Eire&postCode=&partOfCheckout=false

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

It's a pity. I wandered into Heartbeat City this evening. I'd forgotten how rubbish its collection of DVDs is. :mad:

Thats 25 jobs gone,according to KCLR and probably a couple less apartments rented out in McDonagh, know people who worked in Zavvi that were renting there because it was so close! Anything in there would be good, i've no real reason to go to McDonagh now at all. i'd say the rest of the tenants renting shops are losing money but are probably stuck in a 2 yr contract or something,
    Did Tom Tailor ever open up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Did Tom Tailor ever open up?

I was up there last Sunday and it wasn't open then. Still in construction stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Zavvi was the only shop that brought me over there. Its a terrible loss. No more impulse buying dvd's anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mumsy

hiya, i was up there today and was told that tom tailor will be open on friday which is great - their stock is lovely -- i will be making a visit anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

fingers crossed HMV take over Zavvi... HMV Took over the Zavvi in Dundrum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

trishw78 wrote: »

Definitely. I and probably most of Kilkenny miss Zavvi. HMV would be a worthy replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Supra lover 87

Yeah it would thats the first place i go to when i go up to Dublin

trishw78 wrote: »

Weren't they only taking 5, with Kilkenny not being one of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 upthecats

Me buddy was working in Zaavi before it closed and told me that he overheard some guy in the shop from HMV last week looking at it so here's hoping!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 upthecats

mumsy wrote: »
    hiya, i was up there today and was told that tom tailor will be open on friday which is great - their stock is lovely -- i will be making a visit anyway.

Bout time Tom Tailor opening but great to see a store opening in Kilkenny nowhere else in the South East - http://www.tom-tailor.com/index.php?page=StoreFinder&lang=English

I'd never heard of them before but having been on the website they seem quite nice and pretty big worldwide!

Go on the Cats!!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

upthecats wrote: »
    Me buddy was working in Zaavi before it closed and told me that he overheard some guy in the shop from HMV last week looking at it so here's hoping!

Hopefully...especially for the staffs sake of course. The management of MacDonagh seem very proactive as regards getting tenants so hopefully they will offer the like of HMV good terms to reel them in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Makes sense to me - an expensive empty unit makes far less money than an occupied unit rented on the cheap!

Advertisement