Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac Donagh Station Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Amazing what difference 12 months makes..

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Carlow is finally getting a theatre late next year. All they need now is the hurling team and the strip club and their dreams will all come true.

On another note, did anyone see the article in the People Property section yesterday about MacDonagh Junction being nearly full, retail wise? Now, I'm not doubting this but I haven't seen any sign of this being the case when I've been over there. Granted, I haven't been there in a few weeks but have they managed to fill up most of the empty spaces?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

The bowling alley looks like its going to be awesome. Video arcades and everything [Hopefully they'll have Street Fighter 4 :D] According to one of the guys working in there its supposed to open a week from saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    The bowling alley looks like its going to be awesome. Video arcades and everything [Hopefully they'll have Street Fighter 4 :D] According to one of the guys working in there its supposed to open a week from saturday.

Good stuff. Cant wait. Any word on a food section/pool tables like Carlow's Dome?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Good stuff. Cant wait. Any word on a food section/pool tables like Carlow's Dome?

The guy only told us when its opening. They were wheeling in the arcades in this morning [They wheeled in a huge one that I believe is a flight simulator or something like that.] I believe they have soda and sweets vending machines. They put in alot of counters so an eatery section could be possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭itsonlyme

Dunnes have taken the entire buzz out the shopping experience in Mc Donagh. I feel the local kilkenny people rebelled against the centre when Dunnes took up occupancy when at a time they had two other outlets in the town. They just done it to keep Tesco out. In the Kilkenny People this week the management state that the centre is 80% "let". Its one year on and the mix of retail shops is crap. Its like more of the same and duplication of similar retail business in the centre ie bookshops, coffee shops smoothie bars etc.

So I say BRING ON CITYMART // TESCO // M & S

KilkennY needs it BADLY.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

itsonlyme wrote: »
    Dunnes have taken the entire buzz out the shopping experience in Mc Donagh. I feel the local kilkenny people rebelled against the centre when Dunnes took up occupancy when at a time they had two other outlets in the town. They just done it to keep Tesco out. In the Kilkenny People this week the management state that the centre is 80% "let". Its one year on and the mix of retail shops is crap. Its like more of the same and duplication of similar retail business in the centre ie bookshops, coffee shops smoothie bars etc.

So I say BRING ON CITYMART // TESCO // M & S

KilkennY needs it BADLY.

The places to eat are ALL rubbish with the exception of Eddie Rocketts.
    And the Bookshop is rubbish, and in the wrong location. What would have wrong with an Easons, thats a shop I really like and is well laid out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

What about River Island ? i was in there recently and the amount of people who buy stuff from there is HUGE! most people who walk in there come out with something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Shaneio

So the bowling centre opened, has anyone been in, whats it like??

You've either missed this thread: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055426396
    or you dont want this thread to die...
    Anyways theres a discussion there for ya, and so i dont have to repeat myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 mumsy

Bowling Centre open but even better the new kids play place beside Dunnes. heaven for the likes of me and their Santa is cheaper than the other one down town and a much better set up. Fair play to them. have gone down to the bowling yet with trolly full of groceries and two small ones ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Shaneio

Thanks.........missed that

I'm getting annoyed at the people who work in those stalls in the middle of the centre though. They're worse than chuggers. Every time I walk past, they're in my face trying to flog me things. So...if any of you idiots are reading....Helloooo - if someone's walking past you, practically stuck to the plate glass windows of the shops in the centre, it doesn't mean that we're playing hard to get. We're trying to avoid you so that you don't try to sell us your stupid smelly stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Just stare straight ahead and don't slow down. If you try and avoid yourself by sticking to the walls that'll make them notice you. I work up there and they used to always be at me until one evening when I was leaving. One of the toy stalls flew a helicopter straight at my co-worker and I. I calmly told him that if he did it again I would be going straight to security and would have him fired.

They are really annoying but at the same time I think they're a good idea as the shopping centre feels much more full now.

I do stare straight ahead and walk fast. But the feckers still come at me. :mad: Like you, I agree that it's great that they're there but I wish they'd lay off the hard-sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Argh, hate those guys. I was walking past minding my own business when one of them tried the hard sell on me. Told him I wasn't interested and kept walking. Didn't stop him trying again and again though :/

I notice they've finally started to fit out the Tom Tailor shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Does anyone know what the old car is there at the moment?
    I've not seen it, but have been told that the back of it looks like a boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 colsmiff

NOt another clothes shop?! How many clothes shops does one shopping centre need? The place has really died since xmas prolly becasue the last thing people spend money on in a recession is ... Clothes. And now with Zavvi looking on the rocks there will be even less diversity in there. They really should have had M&S as the anchor. At least then it would have attracted the sort of people who would shop in the other overpriced designer outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

Random fact....

There's a coffee shop in macdonough, directly opposite from dunnes. There's a guy in there (looks latin, longish hair) that makes the best moccha in Kilkenny.

Random,i know :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

colsmiff wrote: »
    NOt another clothes shop?! How many clothes shops does one shopping centre need? The place has really died since xmas prolly becasue the last thing people spend money on in a recession is ... Clothes. And now with Zavvi looking on the rocks there will be even less diversity in there. They really should have had M&S as the anchor. At least then it would have attracted the sort of people who would shop in the other overpriced designer outlets.

I 100% agree with you. I lived in Dublin a long time before moving to KK last year and have to say I miss M&S. There are certain things they do really well and I think you are right - it would have bought in the crowds.

Ah well.... one can dream :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

With the Zavvi store in MacDonagh set to be closed any one any ideas what will happen to there space? or will it just be left dormant for ages.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

With the Zavvi store in MacDonagh set to be closed any one any ideas what will happen to there space? or will it just be left dormant for ages.

I'm sure it'll just be replaced with another clothes shop, awful shame

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MassDeb8r

I hope HMV move into it
    Them or Ann Summers have a megastore :P

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭LorraineL

MassDeb8r wrote: »
    or Ann Summers have a megastore :P

+1 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭just-wonderin

it'll prob be a dunnes express :D

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MassDeb8r

Maybe there will be a Dunnes but I doubt theywill be selling any Dirty Dolphins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭itsonlyme

Stephen wrote: »
    If they can get M&S and/or Tesco I'd say they'll do fairly well. Yet-another-Dunnes-Stores isn't any great unique selling point for MacDonagh Juntion!

Tesco didnt want to go into Mc Donagh Junction. It was too small for their liking and logistics.

itsonlyme wrote: »
    Tesco didnt want to go into Mc Donagh Junction. It was too small for their liking and logistics.
    Yeah, i believe we discussed this at length..
    i cant think of any shop that i'd put in there, only a music shop really..

I agree. I'm disappointed that Zavvi's going

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

woo Mc Donaghs rule. Well I do anyways :)

Advertisement