Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac Donagh Station Shopping Centre

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Green potato

Does anyone know if the regatta shop has opened in mcdonagh junction yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

Not as far as I know was down there last Friday and wasn't opened yet didn't look like the fit out even started

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

I heard the project had ran aground.
    Might never set sail at all now....

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

Benny Cake wrote: »
    I heard the project had ran aground.
    Might never set sail at all now....

Because they aren't an 'anchor' tenant?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

That is not fair Callan is not a sick place it has a lot of elderly people and disabled, the town serves a very large area.
    Callan is an under developed town it is full of history that has never been exploited, as Cabaal said in one post about the river "The Kings" so much could be done to provide residents and tourists with a very pleasant spot to loiter, nothing done not even a decent walkway,
    Shopping in Callan has been neglected though Aldi's 100th store has made a difference but it could still do with a Dunnes or Lidl or perhaps an uprated Supervalu. We do have one of the best butchers in the county John Murphy in West St and Paul roche on the estate.
    Callan the home of Callan Bacon, bravo
    Foxy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Oh Foxy how we've missed you here...;)

Road High me too, do you know I cannot remember the last time I was in the shops at McDonagh, last year at least, must go and have a gander to see what has changed, we tend to go to Clonmel not solely for M&S, but nobody else sells pork pies or decent Cornish pasties, though if I say so mine are superior.
    Thanks again Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Callan needs a tesco ;) Foxy good to see you back :)

Hi there lady in the fast lane, thrilled someone agrees about Tesco for Callan and you have been a good supporter. Yes Aldi has made a difference, it is cheaper than Supervalu, but I find the staff attitude not exactly welcoming, there are some who do.
    My objection is the check out more akin to a chuck out, if you ain't got a trolley you are in trouble the goods pile up, of course it is difficult to get them in the bag and pay at the same time.
    Think we might need a separate thread, mm
    Thanks for the welcome God Bless Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

Autosport wrote:
    Callan needs a tesco Foxy good to see you back

But why would Callan of all places need a tesco. I haven't been out there in years is it after booming in size it needs a giant supermarket putting large supermarkets in small towns/villages is crazy surely then castlecomer thomastown or graiguemamanagh also need a tesco let alone kilkenny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

linny wrote: »
    But why would Callan of all places need a tesco. I haven't been out there in years is it after booming in size it needs a giant supermarket putting large supermarkets in small towns/villages is crazy surely then castlecomer thomastown or graiguemamanagh also need a tesco let alone kilkenny

A Tesco's in Callan, would serve the greater area...Including Kilkenny, and in doing so would bring shoppers to Callan...thereby increasing footfall, which leads to more shops...simple...plus another chemist or two... :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Haven't Tesco put expansion on hold and cancelled a load of planned new shops and closed dozens of existing shops after those billions in losses? Asking for one in Callan may be asking a bit much right now.

Callan for years we struggled with just one supermarket, which unfortunately in my opinion was not being what one should expect from a major player, okay it is a franchise, so one really had to travel to do a proper shop, now we have the 100th Aldi store, the other supermarket has perked up, so between the two one can manage, do remember we have two super butchers in Callan, John Murphy and Paul Roche.
    The franchise store still has not sorted out the use by or sell by date problem, yes it is my duty to check, the other store has such a negative approach, so much so I almost left my basket of goodies on the side and walked out, the perceived check out procedure needs to be addressed I have a strong objection at being shouted at to move my basket to another till, those days have gone, treat me with respect or do the other thing. Tesco or Dunnes or Lidl would ensure that one hopes, more pleasure would be had from the daily task of feeding a family.
    One other point we are only a small minority who bother to post on Boards, many have not heard of it or us, especially older people, we are akin to a family unit, yes we disagree and some of the banter is, need not say but we do stick together, what we need is to encourage more people to take an interest and join us. I do miss the comments even if some think my posts are a bit shaky.
    Respect you all and thanks Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Jeez, if this ever happens I'm bankrupted! The Regatta concession in Haddens in Carlow is good when the sale is on.

The Three Store has gone, apparently moved to the O2 store in High Street, as we did not linger we got out of the car park for free, a first.
    Is the Regatta shop in Carlow the same as the Regatta jackets sold at the Boot Factory?
    Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Not sure Mr/Ms Foxy, it is a proper concession outlet. I've never been to Padmores. This time of year they sell off the summer stuff. It's a small outlet but well stocked.

Must confess that we buy North Face clothing up at Kildare village, only because we go to quite a few other shops sorry outlets and as from November even more will be open, another 30 odd, apart from some excellent savings it is a good day out, if you love shopping, we do.
    Having said that one has to take in the cost of getting there; plus of course coffee's well Latte and a bite to eat, one might well be better off stopping in Killkenny.
    For cost conscious the new store going into the old furniture store Guineys should be a great attraction, well we have been known to go to the branch in Clonmel, of course M&S is not far away either.
    Padmore is an excellent shop, shoe bargains especially, must pop in some day soon.
    Have a lovely day Foxy

Advertisement