Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin V10 maps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,358 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It depends on the model, if you're really stuck why not go to the Garmin website and download the manual, that will tell you where the serial number is on your model. If it has a flip-up antenna it's probably behind that, you should be able to find it with a bit of searching.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Is the Serial number on the device itself, or do I need some of the paperwork that came with it? (I have manuals etc... but theyre 90 miles away)

I have a 660 so yours is probably in the same place as mine which is behind the antenna as coylemj said above.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Thanks guys will register this evening

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Map Upgrade DVD arrived this morning. Has a product code which is good for the upgrading of one device.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

parsi wrote: »
    Map Upgrade DVD arrived this morning. Has a product code which is good for the upgrading of one device.

When did you order the update disk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

ALso got mine, Wouldnt install on mac however had to install via pc and its taking AGES

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

mine arrived this morning - yippee - but dear God it is slow to load. They warn you it will take 2 hours but it's been going at least that long now and it's still not done(....91%....). It must be heavily encrypted or something. Probably would have been faster to download one of the cracked copies off piratebay!
    Hope it will also load up on the PC the way V9 did for me. Handy for route planning and stuff.

db. (avec V10)

I have a 250 and hopefully the Update DVD will be on the mat when I go home because I'm fairly sure I ordered it on the first day that it was possible.

I recall that my 250 doesn't have much free space so I assume that the update will replace the existing maps but there isn't enough capacity for V9 and V10 to sit alongside each other, I assume therefore that you get a warning telling you not to interupt the upgrade or else..???

Does having an SD card in the device make any difference i.e. can you tell it to download to the SD card (2GB in my case) so that you could have the option of holding on to V9 so if the update to V10 is interrupted you won't be left high and dry?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Quick question about the V10 updates before I contemplate purchasing and updating...

Is it worth it? Are there still roads missing from V9? (thinking N2 at Ashbourne, M1/N1 at the border, around Dundrum)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Order on 8 Feb.

Loaded fine using my Mac - took about 1h30. Good to see the M8 on it - I drove it yesterday to the accompaniment of "recalculating... recalculating.."

I didn't get any opportunity to load it to an SD card.

• Advertisement

DMC wrote: »
    Quick question about the V10 updates before I contemplate purchasing and updating...

Is it worth it? Are there still roads missing from V9? (thinking N2 at Ashbourne, M1/N1 at the border, around Dundrum)

N2 at Ashbourne,

N2Ashbourne2008v10-1.jpg

N2AshbourneV9oldermaps-1.jpg
    M1/N1 at the border

M1N1ver2008.jpg

M1N1ver9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9 helvete

does it include the port tunnel too??

i ordered my dvd update disc last night, how long on average has it taken to receive it those of you who have got it?

helvete wrote: »
    does it include the port tunnel too??

i ordered my dvd update disc last night, how long on average has it taken to receive it those of you who have got it?

Port Tunnel section
    Ver 9
    Portv9.jpg
    Ver 10 2008
    port2008.jpg

With regards to how long you may have to wait for the update disk, well about 10 by the looks of those who received theirs today. I am expecting my update disk maybe tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 helvete

thanks for that, so is that 10 weeks? or working days?

also is it as easy as plug and play to update, read some posts earlier that you need to download some software from garmin to update it

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

DMC wrote: »

Things I've personally noticed as missing
    * N5 Charlestown bypass
    * N11 Gorey bypass

List of key v10/2008 changes as reported on gpsireland

Overview of key updates as follows:

* N2 Ashbourne by-pass.
    * N4 Edgeworthstown Bypass.
    * N15 Ballyshannon Bundoran bypass section phase.
    * Golf course POI enhancements (Improved location of POI, new POI’s and also new polygons).
    * N8 Mitchelstown bypass.
    * N25 Cork, Kinsale Road interchange with N27.
    * Monaghan Bypass
    * N6 New dual Carriageway from Kinnegad to Kilbeggan. Scheme consists of 28km of Dual Carriageway and 3 grade separated junctions.
    * N52 Mullingar bypass, 4.9 km of single carriageway.
    * N52 Realignment North of Tyrellspass (4km Approx), no change to Function Class.
    * M50 Dublin Port Tunnel; Approx ten Kilometres in total (Two tunnels x4.5 KM). Tunnel is of motorway grade carries a new Function Class One route from the Port to the M50.
    * N18 Ennis. New Bypass - mix of dual carriageway and single roads.
    * Correction to data based on error reporting by customers
    * Improved searches for Street and Built Up Area names

My update disk came this morning. Have just finished the update. The update is a bit different to a previous update which I carried out on an older streetpilot model. This time around, I did not have to log on to mygarmin to acquire an unlocking code for the maps. Attached to the back of the dvd case which the update maps came on, was a product key which you are requested to install during the updating of the unit. I assume this product code is only for the unit the update disk was issued for.

It was straight forward enough, but it does take over 2 hours to complete.

One other thing I noticed this time around, the contents of the dvd disk are over 5.2gb which is more than a normal blank dvd is capable of holding.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Aquos76 wrote: »
    M1/N1 at the border

Thanks dude, and IrlJidel for the list of features. It seems the N1 north to the border is incomplete, it doesn't include the old bits of the road at Ravensdale. I also note the N2 Castleblaney/Clontibret 2+1 bypass is missing too, perhaps a bit too late for this update.

If things like this are missing, I think I'll stick with the V9 on my nuvi 250. I can live with the "recalculating.... recalculating". An update later this year, or next, then maybe. Perhaps for when the M3 opens :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,390 ✭✭✭fletch

IrlJidel wrote: »
    Overview of key updates as follows:

* N2 Ashbourne by-pass. - Does have
    * N4 Edgeworthstown Bypass. - Does have
    * N15 Ballyshannon Bundoran bypass section phase. - Does have
    * Golf course POI enhancements (Improved location of POI, new POI’s and also new polygons).
    * N8 Mitchelstown bypass. - Does have
    * N25 Cork, Kinsale Road interchange with N27. - Does have
    * Monaghan Bypass - appears to have
    * N6 New dual Carriageway from Kinnegad to Kilbeggan. Scheme consists of 28km of Dual Carriageway and 3 grade separated junctions. - Seems to stop at Tyrrellspass
    * N52 Mullingar bypass, 4.9 km of single carriageway. - Does have
    * N52 Realignment North of Tyrellspass (4km Approx), no change to Function Class. - not sure
    * M50 Dublin Port Tunnel; Approx ten Kilometres in total (Two tunnels x4.5 KM). Tunnel is of motorway grade carries a new Function Class One route from the Port to the M50. - Does have
    * N18 Ennis. New Bypass - mix of dual carriageway and single roads. - Does have
    * Correction to data based on error reporting by customers - not sure
    * Improved searches for Street and Built Up Area names -- not sure
    Okay I'm confused! When I go into Map Info, according to the unit I have "City Navigator Europe NT 2008"(v10???). Does the newest maps really not have the full Outer Ring Road(mine seems to have a big gap between Wyeths entrance and Griffeen Avenue)? Also mine doesnt seem to have the new N6 dual carriageway in full???
    Also I'm confused as to how my unit has the newest maps which were only released last week or so when I bought it in Nov '07 and haven't updated it whatsoever.

I believe that listing of updates came from gpsireland.ie so you can't hold Garmin accountable for it.

On the subject of the N6 west from Kinnegad, the newest section from Tyrellspass to Kilbeggan was opened in the middle of the year (by Brian Cowen in the middle of the General Election - suprise, suprise) so it seems to have just missed the cutoff for V10.

• Advertisement

fletch wrote: »
    Also I'm confused as to how my unit has the newest maps which were only released last week or so when I bought it in Nov '07 and haven't updated it whatsoever.
    It's annoying but as far AFAIK they didn't seem to control the process very well. Some people were lucky and got what must have been hot from the factory units late last year which had NT2008 maps, while some of the bigger retailers such as MediaMarkt in Germany where I got mine 2 weeks ago, and many others such as Pixmania must have been stuffed with loads of older production containing V9. My cynical side suspects that "good deals" were done with some retailers to unload all their V9 stock. Still - they ARE now sending out the upgrade DVDs and you do get one advantage over the guys who didn't have to wait - you get a doublelayer DVD to keep as backup, plus it loads up onto your PC for planning and routing use. Don't know if you can upload the maps from a nuvi to a PC to use under mapsource - maybe you can?
    db.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    It's annoying but as far AFAIK they didn't seem to control the process very well. Some people were lucky and got what must have been hot from the factory units late last year which had NT2008 maps, while some of the bigger retailers such as MediaMarkt in Germany where I got mine 2 weeks ago, and many others such as Pixmania must have been stuffed with loads of older production containing V9.

I got mine (nuvi250w) with the NT2008 Maps preloaded at Halfords in Wales at the end of December. It took the guy in the warehouse about ten minutes to find the unit, he said it was the very last one he had in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

you do get one advantage over the guys who didn't have to wait - you get a doublelayer DVD to keep as backup, plus it loads up onto your PC for planning and routing use. Don't know if you can upload the maps from a nuvi to a PC to use under mapsource - maybe you can?
    db.
    My 'guys who didn't have to wait' unit came with 2008 on DVD, including Mapsource. I'm sure you're right about the stocks though. I'd say the units that come with v9 are slightly cheaper for the retailers than the latest 'fresh from the factory' 2008 units.

There is an option in mapsource to transfer maps from the unit to the PC, but I would imagine that it transfers the names of the map tiles, rather than the actual maps themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

fletch wrote: »
    Okay I'm confused! When I go into Map Info, according to the unit I have "City Navigator Europe NT 2008"(v10???). Does the newest maps really not have the full Outer Ring Road(mine seems to have a big gap between Wyeths entrance and Griffeen Avenue)? Also mine doesnt seem to have the new N6 dual carriageway in full???
    To your first point, the NT 2008 maps are finalized in the middle of summer 2007. Not sure when the ring road opened.

To the second point, the maps you got pre-installed on your November unit are the same as those released recently by Garmin. Garmin only release one set of maps every year. You just got yours earlier. What they released recently is the update DVD for owners of units with the V9 . The maps are the same.

Correct Krusty, you cannot upload maps from the unit to MapSource, it only uploads the names of the tiles. I've had MapSource since I purchased V5 for my eTrex Legend and no version of MapSource will upload maps from a unit.

More details on V10 upgrade: The DVD arrived today with a green sticker containing a 'product key' on the back of the case which looks like it's intended for me and nobody else i.e. that code will probably only work with the serial number I provided when I registered for the upgrade.

It took just over two hours to install at the end of which my 250 has 34MB free out of a total capacity of 1.42GB i.e. I'm now 98% full so not sure how I'll get V11 into that space, assuming there's more data in the next release but I guess I'll worry about that when the time comes.

There is an option in mapsource to transfer maps from the unit to the PC, but I would imagine that it transfers the names of the map tiles, rather than the actual maps themselves.

I messed around with the V9 and Mapsource - it did upload the map from the nuvi to the PC but apparently as a backup (twas about 1.5G) and not as a useable PC map.

BTW - did you notice that when loading V10 on the PC it doesn't delete V9 - and that you can flip from one to the other in Mapsource when looking at some area of interest to see what's changed. Why would you want to? boredom?

db.

coylemj wrote: »
    More details on V10 upgrade: The DVD arrived today with a green sticker containing a 'product key' on the back of the case which looks like it's intended for me and nobody else i.e. that code will probably only work with the serial number I provided when I registered for the upgrade.

I'm not so sure - I had a good look over the various serial numbers and codes on the green sticker and the ones given in MyGarmin and emails from Garmin and I can't spot any correlation. Also - I can't be sure but I don't think the installation process went on the internet to verify anything - hard to know though with always on broadband. If I had another nuvi with V9 on it I must admit I would be severely tempted to try the same code......;)

coylemj wrote: »
    It took just over two hours to install at the end of which my 250 has 34MB free out of a total capacity of 1.42GB i.e. I'm now 98% full so not sure how I'll get V11 into that space, assuming there's more data in the next release but I guess I'll worry about that when the time comes.
    Maybe the SD card would hold this? From reading elsewhere I get the impression that people with nuvi 200 say have been able to load bigger maps using SD cards. And yet AFAIK the ability to load All Europe say relies on the nuvi having an All Europe base map (ie the sorta skeleton) already installed. Was wondering in fact what the SD cards are good for - apart from photographs or extra Points of Interest? Pity the so-called 'manual' is so pathetic.

BTW: on another site which shall remain nameless lest I be forced to walk the plank there was discussion of unlock codes and one thread which implied a new image could be loaded by deleting (after backup I suppose) an old image and physically disconnecting the GPS unit in the 1 or 2 second interval before it started the uploading/code verification process - then when reconnected the mapsource would think it was dealing with a virgin unit or something. This sort of thing is strictly for thrill-seekers! It could well turn your GPS into an iBrick so caveat emptor and cave canem and so on....

db.

IBTW - did you notice that when loading V10 on the PC it doesn't delete V9 - and that you can flip from one to the other in Mapsource when looking at some area of interest to see what's changed. Why would you want to? boredom?

db.

That happened me on an earlier model (300) but there simply isn't room on the 250 for V9 and V10 so the install process left me with just V10 and 34MB free space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Should be getting my DVD soon, registered last night and am eligable for an update

Question: The DVD that you got, was it JUST the update, or did you get mapping software? Because i've got no mapping software (ie. mapsource) with my Nuvi670 :( (Bought it on adverts - Wasn't sure if software was supposed to come with it?)

Advertisement