Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin V10 maps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,382 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Agreed but since the DVD is free and I only ordered it yesterday other people might as well order their DVD as well but I have no problem passing the disc on once I've installed it.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I have also ordered my free update, but like other, would be very greatful if somebody who may have the disk might pass it around for a few of us to aquire the update that bit earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

From where does one order a DVD? I have a Garmin Nuvi 310 and when I log on to the site it tells me to find a local dealer to purchase my update??? I did come across the US site, where I could have bought the updtate for $129.99! YIKES! Is that the price?
    I bought my nuvi from Amazon in July, so don't have a free upgrade or a local dealer. It's so annoying, because I really only want the Irish version. Is there that much difference between V9 and this one for people like me?
    Thanks for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

coylemj wrote: »

If you go to the Gamrmin cartography website and check out the current version of Navigator NT Europe V10 whch is what I assume you have, they make it very clear that that DVD cannot be used to upgrade a preloaded (e.g. Nuvi) model so I still say that your DVD cannot upgrade my 250.

http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/citynavntEurope.jsp

So if I was to buy a Nuvi 250, as I had planned with preloaded Europe maps, I wouldn't be able to get the update? So is the update only available if you buy the maps as stand alone products ie for $130 or whatever it is?

brophs wrote: »
    So if I was to buy a Nuvi 250, as I had planned with preloaded Europe maps, I wouldn't be able to get the update? So is the update only available if you buy the maps as stand alone products ie for $130 or whatever it is?

Changes are if you buy the 250 it will already have to 2008 maps pre installed on it. However, if it only has Ver 9.0 on it, then you will be entitled to a free update.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, cheers for the reply.

Correct, a recent posting and my own experience indicate that Pixmania and Expansys are shipping 250s with V9 maps but Garkmin will give you the update for free.

That said, if there's no big rush you could hang on for a few weeks and hope that they get new stock which at this stage might have 2008 (V10) maps although Expansys' web site says they have 73 x 250s in stock and I'd say all of these are still V9.

Thanks for that coylemj. I have one other question if it's not too much bother; I have read a fair few other posts re the process of updating. Is it simply that you register with Garmin for an update, they send you a DVD with the new maps, and you go to their website to unlock the maps for use on your device? Am I right in saying that you cant download them from the website like Tomtom for example?

Cheers in advance

brophs wrote: »
    Thanks for that coylemj. I have one other question if it's not too much bother; I have read a fair few other posts re the process of updating. Is it simply that you register with Garmin for an update, they send you a DVD with the new maps, and you go to their website to unlock the maps for use on your device? Am I right in saying that you cant download them from the website like Tomtom for example?

Cheers in advance

Thats exactly it. You do need to download mapsource to enable you to update the maps on you device

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Just got my nuvi 350 from amazon.co.uk and came loaded with the V10 2008 already.

I registered the unit online, I do not know if there is any point in registing it?Which are the advances?

By the way, do you guys buy the map updates every year or just carry on with the same maps for few years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well, I got v5 - v7, but mostly because at the start, Ireland mapping was incredibly bad, so any update represented a significant improvement. V8 wasn't a significant change so I skipped it, and then upgraded to v9, which was the first near 100% coverage mapping of Ireland. I now have v10, but only because it came with my GPS receiver.

I also have a Garmin Quest on v9 (non NT), which I wont bother updating as V9 -> v10 doesn't represent a large update. Now that the Ireland mapping has extremely good coverage, there's no point in updating too regularly. Sure, you'll miss out on new motorways and other roads, but you'll usually have an idea of where these are and how much time they will save you.

There's not a lot of value in registering your product, as you have the latest update. But it's unlikely that you will get a free upgrade next year (but I'm still going to hedge my bets!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

oreder my free update on the mygarmin website just now, registered at the start of december. said i'd have it in 4 to 6 weeks!

Thank you for your free map update order. Below is a summary of the order:

Order Id: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Map Update: Map Update 2008 City Navigator® Europe NT

Unit Name: nüvi 300, UK, Ireland

Serial Number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

There's not a lot of value in registering your product, as you have the latest update. But it's unlikely that you will get a free upgrade next year (but I'm still going to hedge my bets!).

Thanks for the info.

If you buy your garmin GPS in febreary 08 and do not register until december 08 (let's say) , will this trick Garmin to give you a free update for the 09 maps or this wont work?

I was just wondering even though I already registered myself!

That occurrred to me also. For a previous upgrade (V9 on a 300) they asked me to send the sales receipt to the UK and then they e-mailed me the unlock code, this time they're giving the unlock code off the website so in theory if you buy a unit today and get V10 you should hold off registering and see what happens if you register it after V11 is released.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

coylemj wrote: »
    That occurrred to me also. For a previous upgrade (V9 on a 300) they asked me to send the sales receipt to the UK and then they e-mailed me the unlock code, this time they're giving the unlock code off the website so in theory if you buy a unit today and get V10 you should hold off registering and see what happens if you register it after V11 is released.

Do you not think that they will take the serial number into account :confused:

They might but there are instances where small retailers could have stock sitting on the shelf for months. The Great Outdoors in Chatham St. for example has a few GPS handsets in glass cases and I'd say some of them have been there for months on end so it's not inconceivable that you could buy a unit with mapping capability over the counter and find that it's a year or more out of date when you bring it home and you'd be justified in expecting a freee update from Garmin.

I bought my Nuvi 350 back in June 07 and I only registered it last week and I put down my date of purchase as my registration date, and I was given the free update.

Q.e.d. ;)

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I bought my Nuvi 350 back in June 07 and I only registered it last week and I put down my date of purchase as my registration date, and I was given the free update.

That was silly of me to register the product right after I received it by post!!! I should have waited to register it once the V11 comes out and then change the date of purchase........oh well........I guess at least someone will learn my mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

I bought mine back in may / june but registered last week....just saw on this thread they'd released the free updates (they hadn't last week when i checked) and they are on the way to me now

Any idea if there will be any charges for those outside the states? I presume not but it did mention it on the site that we would be liable for any tax etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Garmin don't charge for the update DVD, instead, they charge you for the unlock code (unless you are eligble for a free upgrade). The cost is just under $130, which puts it at nearly twice the cost of previous updates).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

$129.99????

erm feck off Garmin! Chancers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ioshmearse

Garmin don't charge for the update DVD, instead, they charge you for the unlock code (unless you are eligble for a free upgrade). The cost is just under $130, which puts it at nearly twice the cost of previous updates).

I only have Ire and UK on my 'regional' 610. I checked for available updates and the full European v10 update was the only one listed. Cost of update €85 approx - cost of new Europe map +€200.

My question is - if I buy the update for $130 do I get the full European map on DVD (plus unlock code from Garmin) from which I can download sections to an SD card?

Thanks.

I had a regional Nuvi 300 which was entitled to a fee upgrade and when I got the upgrade to V9 I was able to download the whole of Europe to the SD card, they may have copped on to this trick since then and figured out a way to prevent you from downloading more than one region.

If you have a regional model you probably won't have enough memory in the base unit to take the whole of Europe so get yourself a 2GB SD card and try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

guys

got an email and have been told that I am getting this as a free upgrade

Map Update 2008 City Navigator® Europe NT

Is that the european one or UK/Ireland. I know it says europe but I only had Ireland/uk on mine when i bought it.

The DVD is the same regardless, it's up to Garmin to either enforce the single region and only allow you to download (or unlock) UK & Ireland maps or if they haven't changed the procedure you will be able to get the whole of Europe but it won't fit on a unit which came with a single region so get an SD card and see what happens, a 2GB Sandisk SD card is just 13 euros on www.elara.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

What info do you have to provide when registering?
    I have the GPS with me here, but the box/manual etc. is at home (Won't be home until next weekend)

I bought it (Nuvi 670) off a boards.ie member and he swore it wasn't registered... here's hoping he wasn't lying!

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

JohnCleary wrote: »
    What info do you have to provide when registering? I have the GPS with me here, but the box/manual etc. is at home (Won't be home until next weekend)

Registered mine (nuvi 250w) last month and as far as I remember you need;
    device serial number, date of purchase, place of purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Loveless wrote: »
    Registered mine (nuvi 250w) last month and as far as I remember you need;
    device serial number, date of purchase, place of purchase.

Is the Serial number on the device itself, or do I need some of the paperwork that came with it? (I have manuals etc... but theyre 90 miles away)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

yeah on the Garmins it's on the bottom, left-hand side.

Advertisement