Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin V10 maps

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It looks like the DVD just contains the maps, not a copy of the MapSource s/w. I already had the latest version of MapSource on my PC so after the Nuvi 250 maps were updated I started up MapSource on my laptop and found that the update process had put a copy of the 2008 maps on the laptop but I have no idea what will happen if you do not have a copy of MapSource already installed.

It may be that when you insert the DVD it will offer to install MapSource on your PC, you'll just have to wait and see, unless someone else replies to your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You could try this: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209
    But it may not work for you:
    WARNING: This software will not work unless you already own a MapSource product.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

You could try this: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209
    But it may not work for you:

before NT2008 DVD arrived I downloaded Mapsource from the Garmin site (or maybe from MyGarmin) - when I fired it up it needed a code to install on the PC - but that had already been provided by Garmin - twas just sitting there in my Account Details section (I think) of MyGarmin.

db.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    I'm not so sure - I had a good look over the various serial numbers and codes on the green sticker and the ones given in MyGarmin and emails from Garmin and I can't spot any correlation. Also - I can't be sure but I don't think the installation process went on the internet to verify anything - hard to know though with always on broadband. If I had another nuvi with V9 on it I must admit I would be severely tempted to try the same code......;)
    db.
    ooops! I was wrong :o

The code printed on the sticker attached to the update DVD is also sitting in the "Mapsource Unlock" section of MyGarmin. Don't know if it got there before or after I got the DVD. However the details in this section also note that I did the update on Feb 25th which implies there WAS some web access by the updating software even though I didn't notice it - I certainly didn't input this information. Sooooo....Big Brother IS watching you....
    db.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I have an unlock code, but no software CD/DVD :(

I have the Yellow sheet that came with the GPS and also the MyGarmin gives me the unlock code... I wonder if there's anywhere I can get a copy of Mapsource?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,434 ✭✭✭✭Alun

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I wonder if there's anywhere I can get a copy of Mapsource?
    You can just download it from the Garmin website :D

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

Alun wrote: »
    You can just download it from the Garmin website :D

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

When I tried that it tells me "No previous installations found"

I found a 'hack' while Googling to get round this. I installed MapSource fine, and when I went to run it I get "Mapsource could not find any installed Mapsource Products" and then closes :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

[QUOTE=dowtchaboy;55275271...
    However the details in this section also note that I did the update on Feb 25th which implies there WAS some web access by the updating software even though I didn't notice it - I certainly didn't input this information. .[/QUOTE]

Definate web access during installation. In fact when I was installing my update DVD my internet connection was down and the installation wouldnt resume until
    the connection was back up.

JohnCleary wrote: »
    When I tried that it tells me "No previous installations found"

I found a 'hack' while Googling to get round this. I installed MapSource fine, and when I went to run it I get "Mapsource could not find any installed Mapsource Products" and then closes :confused:
    Ah yes, sorry about that, it's actually an update. I forgot I had a copy of Mapsource that came with my etrex Vista HCx already installed, which is why the update worked. Like you say though there are ways to get around this, but I'm not sure that's be OK to post on here.

Mapsource is of little use to you anyway, without any maps..
    I wonder would other non-Garmin maps qualify, or even some of the unlocked map products, such as worldmap, or the metroguide products.

• Advertisement

Mapsource is of little use to you anyway, without any maps..
    I wonder would other non-Garmin maps qualify, or even some of the unlocked map products, such as worldmap, or the metroguide products.

Is Mapsource supposed to come on CD/DVD with the Nuvi670? I have all Europe/US on the GPS, I thought it only be fair to have it on PC Too so I could plan routes etc? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Sorry for maybe coming across as dense here, but I'm totally confused on what's required for the V10 update.

I have a Nuvi 610 with version 9 pre-installed & want to update to version 10. I bought the unit in June 2007.

There seems to be DVD's, CD's and SD card updates ? also lots of mention of Mapsource ?

1) I guess my question is, what's the benefit of DVD/SD card ?

2) Do I need this Mapsource

3) Where do I get the stuff from ?

Garmin told me to go to Amazon & I found a UK site with SD card that seems cheap & straightforward, but I dont want to make an exp[ensive mistake :rolleyes: http://www.pentagongps.co.uk/garmin-mapsource-version-10-nt-2008-plug-play-europe-map-sd-card-with-free-full-europe-garmin-travel-guide-i5763.html

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Have you registered your 610 with Garmin? If no, then register it now, say you bought it in Feb 08 and you'll be entitled to a free upgrdae to 2008 (aka V10)

SD is a small memory card which is used in most digital cameras and all of the Garmin car units have an SD slot which would be mainly used for storing music to play through the MP3 player. On certain units the SD card can also be used for additional maps that you buy.

The V10 upgrade is achieved by getting the DVD mailed to you from Garmin (no charge) and then you install it from your PC with an unlock code that you either get free from Garmin (as mentioned above) or which you have purchased from the Garmin web site using a credit card.

You do not need to have MapSource installed in order to upgrade the maps on your Nuvi but if you do have MapSource already on the PC then you will get a copy of the V10 maps to play with on the PC after upgrading the Nuvi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭jamesd

Got an email this morning from Garmin telling me the 2008 mapping upgrade is now available from their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 desb

Have a Nuvi 670 I bought about a year ago. Eventually lost my nerve and registered it towards end of last year. Got free US 2008 update just after I registered so I guess I did ok.

Got email saying Europe 2008 update available for purchase today. Swallowed hard...was it worth the €79.99 quoted? Decided to go ahead. Then realised freight and Vat bring the total up to €98.57 !! I bought, but hope its worth almost €100 ! Will think hard before updating again.

Only uploaded the US update today. The issue of getting PC version of MapSource has me totally confused. I also downloaded the software from Garmin....TWICE before it eventually dawned on me that you needed the base software loaded first. Grrrrrr! Apparently "Most current Garmin GPS units come with a free version of MapSource" well mine certainly didnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I'm abit annoyed that alot of roads are still not on the v10 maps. I'm around blessington alot and some of the roads where the new retail park area is are still not on it. Alot of the new housing estates that have existed around there since 2006 are non existant on it also... I've yet to come across any real updates.

mondeo wrote: »
    I'm abit annoyed that alot of roads are still not on the v10 maps. I'm around blessington alot and some of the roads where the new retail park area is are still not on it. Alot of the new housing estates that have existed around there since 2006 are non existant on it also... I've yet to come across any real updates.
    Have you reported them to Navteq? Go to http://mapreporter.navteq.com register, and you can let them know.

The thing is, that in slightly more organised countries than this one, the mapping companies have arrangements with local and national government agencies that they're automatically informed when changes are made to road layouts, or new developments are built, but as you can probably imagine, that doesn't happen here, so they have to rely on reports from the likes of you and me.

Also bear in mind that there's a considerable lead time in producing these maps. Navteq doesn't supply maps as such to the likes of Garmin, but a huge GIS database that has to be checked, validated and converted into their proprietary format. Then there's distribution, duplication etc., and all this means that maps introduced on a certain date can be based on mapping data that's a year out of date, if not more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Can the update be downloaded or has it to come by post?

Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

got mine via post yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭thegoth

I am in no way associated with gps Ireland, but I ordered mine from them over the phone Tuesday. I had them Wednesday. They are in Cork. I am in Westmeath. Great service.

Only saying this for people who might be wondering who to buy from

• Registered Users Posts: 9 helvete

thegoth wrote: »
    I am in no way associated with gps Ireland, but I ordered mine from them over the phone Tuesday. I had them Wednesday. They are in Cork. I am in Westmeath. Great service.

Only saying this for people who might be wondering who to buy from

how cheap was it??

got mine today haven't "road tested" it yet but from looking at it on mapsource there is still lots missing whereas from being in madrid it had virtually everything with V9

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭thegoth

It was 79 euro. I have had some problems with the update. See post on main page. It doesn't seem to use the new map data for route calculation, but the new roads do appear on the screen

Advertisement