Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin V10 maps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I have V.9 UK and Ireland maps on my 300, would it be possible to get NT 2008 Europe maps from a mates 250 and purchase an unlock key from Garmin now, rather than have to wait for however many weeks it will be before they are available on the Garmin website? I'm heading to Germany in a few weeks and would like to have the GPS with me but it makes no sense to purchase V.9 European maps now...

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Yes, if he has the NT 2008 DVD. For the V9 update, many of us shared a few DVDs and distributed them around the country (sneakernet!), as it was a lot quicker than waiting for Garmin to produce the DVDs. You pay for the unlock code, not the update DVD.

If he doesn't have the DVD, then you've no way of updating the maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ken_goldwing

Do-more wrote: »
    I have V.9 UK and Ireland maps on my 300, would it be possible to get NT 2008 Europe maps from a mates 250 and purchase an unlock key from Garmin now, rather than have to wait for however many weeks it will be before they are available on the Garmin website? I'm heading to Germany in a few weeks and would like to have the GPS with me but it makes no sense to purchase V.9 European maps now...

I can put the new V10 maps on an SD card for you if you like all u have to do is buy An SD Card ok E-mail me.. Im in Dublin You'll have to come to me ok Leave us ur E-Mail i'll call you..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Flying

I can put the new V10 maps on an SD card for you if you like all u have to do is buy An SD Card ok E-mail me.. Im in Dublin You'll have to come to me ok Leave us ur E-Mail i'll call you..

The Map will have to be unlocked as each *.unl file is unique to each device

Of course your right but the unique code for the map is incoded in the card not the map or the Garmin unit, all u need is the know how and i have the know how it's to difficult to explain how i do it but yes it can be done.. i've put v10 2008 Maps on a few friends Cards and all are working 100%
    The *.unl file is unique but its only software and can be edited..

• Advertisement

Do-more wrote: »
    PM me for info on this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I contacted Garmin this morning, Recevied my Garmin with v9 maps on it alot of stuff around me is not on it, she said any device bought after 31dec will get a free update she could not give me a date said feb/march kinda annoying as i was hoping for v10 now as i am going traveling at the weekend.

Ok Flying no prob's anyone need help just PM me your e-mail i take it thats ok so !!!
    lol

OK FLYING UR TURN>>>

Think i will just wait for the offical update not that long away.

PowerHouseDan: My Zumo came with 2008 on DVD. So if you're in Dublin, and need it desperately, PM me. You could install it, and then get your unlock code online from Garmin.

• Advertisement

HOw much do Garmin charge for a unlock code?

HOw much do Garmin charge for a unlock code?
    Well, if you're entitled to a free upgrade, it's free. ;) Otherwise, it's around $75 (~50 euro).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Well, if you're entitled to a free upgrade, it's free. ;) Otherwise, it's around $75 (~50 euro).

is that likely to be the cost of the v10 maps when they eventually come out ??

I bought my unit in Harvey Norman in October & they sold it to me with the promise that my first map upgrade due at the end of the year (ho ho) would be free of charge.....Garmin tell me the new mapping is due out in about a week & will cost me but no pricing is set as yet

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Purchased a Nuvi 250 from Expansys last week & it has V9 maps, two friends of mine got 610 and 710 units for Christmas & they both have V10 (2008). I asked Garmin & got this reply today (Feb 5th)...

===============================
    New mapping updates should be available to the public shortly , the plan is for the update to be released towards the 1st quarter of t he year. This will be a free mapping update for you due to when you purchased the unit.
    ===== End of Garmin reply ===========

I have had Garmin units for several years now and have previously been given at least one free upgrade, they send you the Version n+1 DVD for free and then you either purchase an unlock code online or you send the sales receipt to the UK and they give you an unlock coupon.

The only thing I have seen on 2008 maps which is diifferent from V9 is the N6 road to Galway, this is a good benchmark project as they will be joining up new sections of roads between Galway and Kinnegad over the next two years. On V9 maps the westbound N6 dual-carriageway stops at Kinnegad i.e. it turns from blue to red and people heading to Athlone join the old N6.

The 2008 (V10) map has the new dual-carriageway extension to Tyrellspass which reflects the situation up to the middle of 2007 since it actually now runs as far as Kilbeggan where westbound traffic rejoins the old N6.

Don't forget that 2008 includes mapping for all of Europe, so the total number of changes is probably quite vast. Also worthy of note is that the 2008 mapping data is already six months old. :( I typically upgrade every other year, or when there are large changes..

Why don't you install the 2008 maps from one of your friends DVDs and get your free upgrade from the Garmin site? Hardly any point in waiting..

They only provide n+1 if you bought the unit after the new mapping was made available.

Don't forget that 2008 includes mapping for all of Europe, so the total number of changes is probably quite vast. Also worthy of note is that the 2008 mapping data is already six months old. :( I typically upgrade every other year, or when there are large changes..

Why don't you install the 2008 maps from one of your friends DVDs and get your free upgrade from the Garmin site? Hardly any point in waiting..

They only provide n+1 if you bought the unit after the new mapping was made available.

Obviously 2008 includes a vast number of changes, I was only referring to Ireland and the changes I could detect from spending a few minutes looking at my friends 710.

I can't install 2008 from 'my friends DVD' because that's not how it works, if I could do it that way Garmin would never be able to sell map upgrades. You need to get an update DVD (which is not yet available) and then purchase an unlock code or produce a sales recepit to show you purchased a unit after the launch date, then they will give you a free unlock code.

coylemj wrote: »
    Obviously 2008 includes a vast number of changes, I was only referring to Ireland and the changes I could detect from spending a few minutes looking at my friends 710.

I can't install 2008 from 'my friends DVD' because that's not how it works, if I could do it that way Garmin would never be able to sell map upgrades. You need to get an update DVD (which is not yet available) and then purchase an unlock code or produce a sales recepit to show you purchased a unit after the launch date, then they will give you a free unlock code.
    Yes, you can. You install the 2008 maps, then you need to visit Garmin's website and pay for an unlock code (or get a free unlock code if you are elligble). Until you get the unlock code, you cannot use the 2008 maps.

You do not pay for the Garmin update DVD, they send it out to you for free. You pay for the unlock code after the fact. I have the 2008 DVD as it came with my Zumo. If (as per your other thread) Garmin wont sell you an unlock code for 2008, then that will prevent you from unlocking the 2008 maps, but yes, you can install them from your friends DVD. You just can't use them.

Garmin's update delays are all related to DVD manufacturing. It has been the same for many years.

Actually, it appears that the update is $129.99 USD, unless your device is registered after the 1st December 2007. Seems a bit steep.. Must be a result of the Nokia NavTeq purchase. Don't think I'll be updating for quite some time!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Vendetta

I registered on the 5th of december. Is there anyway i can get the unlock code from the website if i can get the dvd. Also a while ago i was lookin for the POI from u Krusty. Did u ever upload to ur site that i missed.

Hi Vendetta, I never uploaded them to the site. Before I upload them I want to be sure that they are covered by an open-source license, like creative commons, or something like that, I just haven't had the time to do the research. Just pm me your e-mail address and I'll send them on.

Yes, if you install the 2008 DVD, you can get an unlock code from Garmin, by using the MapSource unlock wizard. Last year, when a large group of us were waiting for the v9 maps (non-NT) and Garmin had huge backlogs of orders for these DVDs, we created an informal sneakernet, and made copies of the DVD and passed them on to other people who wanted them. You should do something similar here, instead of waiting weeks for the DVDs to arrive. No sense waiting, when the mapping is already 6 months old, and they'll be freezing the mapping in 4 months time for the next release. :rolleyes:

As I've mentioned, the DVDs are distributed free by Garmin. They charge you for the unlock code.

• Advertisement

But isn't the upgrade DVD different from the DVD that you can install on your PC? For example I have a Nuvi 250 which arrived last week with V9 maps, Garmin have just now accepted an order for a free upgrade DVD and I already have the unock code. Are you saying that there is someone out there who already has a DVD that I can use to upgrade from V9 to 2008?

I don't recall getting any DVD with my Nuvi 300 in 2006 - it was stolen last year.

Are you saying that there is someone out there who already has a DVD that I can use to upgrade from V9 to 2008?
    Yes, me. :)
    For all of my previous upgrades, what you get is a DVD (although it used to be CDs) with the latest version of mapsource, plus the latest mapping, which you could install, but not view until you had been through the locking process. So it is in effect a standalone product. In fact you can have the v6, v7, v8 mapping co-exist on your PC (and GPS receiver if you so desire).

I must confess to not being terribly familiar with the Nuvi products, and assumed that the process for upgrading the Nuvi is the same for upgrading all of their other product lines. If this is the case, then yes, you do not need to wait for them to deliver the DVD, as it's just a generic DVD with the locked installable content (and no unlock codes!).

Yes I'm familiar with MapSource since I have it on my laptop with V7 and V9 maps. According to the Garmin website the standalone DVD cannot be used to update a prealoaded unit. I originally purchased V5 to load maps on to my eTrex Legend, then I lost that and purchased a LegendC and upgraded to V7 but when I bought a Nuvi 300 and wanted to upgrade from V8 to V9 I needed a special upgrade DVD whch they posted to me for free, the charge (or waiver) like you said cuts in when you want to unlock it.

If you go to the Gamrmin cartography website and check out the current version of Navigator NT Europe V10 whch is what I assume you have, they make it very clear that that DVD cannot be used to upgrade a preloaded (e.g. Nuvi) model so I still say that your DVD cannot upgrade my 250.

http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/citynavntEurope.jsp

Thanks for the help Krusty found the unlock code and ordered the DVD should be here in 4-6 weeks. Anyone have the Update 2008 City Navigator® Europe NT DVD that can copy it. I can provide blank DVDs and then post or drop it to anyone who needs it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Hi - didnt think it was worth opening another thread for, but I got a Garmin 250W today and ordered the free updated V10 maps. My question is - should I have got a lead in the box to allow me to connect the Sat Nav to my pc? Do I need to order one specifically or will any lead (that fits) do?

any lead as u say that fits will do

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Cheers

I ordered the Dvd update but where did you found the unlock code?

I ordered the Dvd update but where did you found the unlock code?

http://www.garmin.com/unlock

• Advertisement

If you go to the Gamrmin cartography website and check out the current version of Navigator NT Europe V10 whch is what I assume you have, they make it very clear that that DVD cannot be used to upgrade a preloaded (e.g. Nuvi) model so I still say that your DVD cannot upgrade my 250.
    http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/citynavntEurope.jsp
    I guess I stand corrected so. You can just grab the first update DVD then and distribute it (or download it).

Advertisement