Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing from Dublin???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

gavDUB wrote: »
    well did anyone get out last night?
    what was it like?
    We'll have to take that as a no.
    Anyone out this evening(Thurs)? What was it doing?
    I'm planninmg on heding down to Maghermore tomorrow evening after work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭will3k

I went out both eves.

Wed was ok, defo worth the paddle. Yesterday, not so much. :(

Anybody any thoughts on conditions for this eve?

Think I'll be giving it a go.

Any joy last Friday?

Would go out this evening if I could. Magicseaweed shows it good.

Went down to Maghermore for the first time on Friday eve. Its a lovely wee beach. The waves were about 2 foot but not very well organised. Enjoyed it all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 cj.oneill

I'm just learning to surf - can catch waves and just about stand-up (once I'm on my feet I'm usually okay). Would it be worth heading down to Wicklow?

What do you usually need for it to be rideable there - I presume a south /sw swell with a northerly wind? When is best tide-wise? Rising or ebbing and low, mid, high? Is a rideable swell for this area at or above 8ft?

Thanks a mill for any answers.

• Advertisement

So was anyone lucking enough to get out yesterday eve. If so what was it like?

CJ - I reckon Maghermore would be grand for learning on. Only there last week for the first time, so I'ld say your right about the swell direction. Wind : some posters here have said that a southerly wind helps the swell, where as I would imagine that an east wind (which would blow 0ffshore) would be better for holding up the face of the waves.
    I stand to be corrected!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napapa

looks like this Saturday should be worth the 30 minute drive...:D

Macanri wrote: »
    So was anyone lucking enough to get out yesterday eve. If so what was it like?

CJ - I reckon Maghermore would be grand for learning on. Only there last week for the first time, so I'ld say your right about the swell direction. Wind : some posters here have said that a southerly wind helps the swell, where as I would imagine that an east wind (which would blow 0ffshore) would be better for holding up the face of the waves.
    I stand to be corrected!

I was out last night, wasn't much good. small with very little power behind them.
    Still nice to get wet though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napapa

was there many out last night...

napapa wrote: »
    was there many out last night...

About 10-15 on the water.

• Advertisement

Is there plenty of space or would a beginner get in the way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭conman78

There's loads of room..always loads of learners..southerly winds is what makes best waves in MM. anything of 25 mph blowing up the coast for few hours. decent bit of wind protection too from the cliff faces.
    Not to be too picky, easterly wind here in onshore. Killiney works best for that along with good northerly's. MM is dangerous on a northerly. Drive around next time you check the winds and you'll be able judge by numbers out bobbing around. Dont over rely on magic seaweed star ratings for this area. Winds are most important as its only local swells that tend to hit so use the charts instead.
    Happy surfing..

conman78 wrote: »
    There's loads of room..always loads of learners..southerly winds is what makes best waves in MM. anything of 25 mph blowing up the coast for few hours. decent bit of wind protection too from the cliff faces.
    Not to be too picky, easterly wind here in onshore. Killiney works best for that along with good northerly's. MM is dangerous on a northerly. Drive around next time you check the winds and you'll be able judge by numbers out bobbing around. Dont over rely on magic seaweed star ratings for this area. Winds are most important as its only local swells that tend to hit so use the charts instead.
    Happy surfing..

Doh! Yea meant to say west wind blows offshore - - - where's me compass?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 11 foxymarrylou

Anyone heading down this weekend?! Sunday looks kind of decent.

Surfing on the East Coast...well I never.... :)

Yea, Planning on heading down tomorrow afternoon. So fingers crossed for some decent surf!

I might head down for a blast tomorrow pm too - any idea of tide times (I'm just being lazy)...I presume it's better on a rising tide?

cj.oneill wrote: »
    I might head down for a blast tomorrow pm too - any idea of tide times (I'm just being lazy)...I presume it's better on a rising tide?

Here ya go http://www.irishtimes.com/weather/tides.html . High tide around 16:30 tommorrow. Don't really know when it works best... any takers?

I'll prob head down mid afternoon. Should be a laugh if nothing else.

It was a good auld laugh alright. I still can't believe that the East coast can have surfable waves - well half surfable - depends waht type of board you have. It was 2ft ish but clean today. I'm going NW this w/end P.G. So hope to get the short board moving a bit quicker than today.
    Have to borrow a minimal for this east coast thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 foxymarrylou

Didn't get out in the end - someone borrowed the board & didn't get it back to me in time...ggrrrrrr....:mad:

Did trip down...just to see for my own eyes that there were, in fact, surfable waves on the East Coast :) Not a whoooole lot of surfing going on while i was there - round 4.30 - but but looked fun if nothing else!!

So do these elusive East Coast waves come around often? Hate the trapesing west every time the mood for a few waves takes you....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

i broke the nose of a surfboard this way

Anyone out today?

What's it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭little lady

Just back about 20 mins, fairly rough and stong currents, I'm a newbie to all this so didn't hang around to long but I was with two mates who have been surfing a while and they loved it but still found it hard going.

Definately worth a look, a good few people out.

Just back about 20 mins, fairly rough and stong currents, I'm a newbie to all this so didn't hang around to long but I was with two mates who have been surfing a while and they loved it but still found it hard going.

Definately worth a look, a good few people out.

Thanks Lady, wasn't going to bother, but think I will now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36 longboarder

Anybody out in MM today - any predictions for this evening?

Anyone out yesterday? Any use?

Any ideas on tonight, wind seems to have died down, maybe too little wind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

I was with two mates who have been surfing a while and they loved it but still found it hard going.

From one of the mates, hard going was an understatement. North rip and southerly rip and dumpy as f*ck thanks to a 30mph+ onshore wind. Good laugh though. I havent face planted as much in ages.

K-

Just wondering in anyone is heading out tomorrow, I know the surfs pretty no existant but being a newbie I'd like to get out at least paddling for some practice. Was down there today but there was nobody around and I don't fancy being in the water with no one on the beach.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Lilian

Maghermore is supposed to be surfable tomorrow evening following magicseaweed forecast ,I'll head down there with few friends after work I should be there around 7pm

• Advertisement

I'm heading down tomorrow after work with a friend of mine, might see you there....

Advertisement