Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing from Dublin???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 gavDUB

right thats it for the day in work, im off down to wicklow. might see some of ya in the water

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭pearsefitz

Me and few lads headed to white rock killiney last night and it was pance ... waited and waited and still nothing... complete waist... and was dying to try out my new board... So any1 find any decent waves hear dublin last night????:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Masta Chief

forget Killiney ....Maghermore is the best spot

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭dutchgoldtony

Was in Magheramore last night - sounds pretty much just as bad as Killiney!

Nothing showed up...

yeah i hit Maghermore last night very surpised by the amount of people i knew down there. few good waves but few and far between.
    The north end of the beach was getting the best sets as the evening went on. defo head down again :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭will3k

gavDUB wrote: »
    yeah i hit Maghermore last night very surpised by the amount of people i knew down there. few good waves but few and far between.
    The north end of the beach was getting the best sets as the evening went on. defo head down again :)

Same as. Was down about 5.30/6pm maybe 1-2ft waves but with very little power behind them. Good to get the hair wet anyway. Nice friendly crowd out too. First time out in the east and I'll be heading out again. :)

disappointing results last night alright , fingers crossed the weekend will be better...magic seaweed indicates a good improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

I didnt reckon there'd be anything last night.

tried to get into the skateaprk but they close early

went home and drank wine..........

one of my mates couldnt make it down on wed night so we went down to Maghermore last night(even though MSW had pretty much nothing).
    Just us and one local (a seal ) on the beach much better waves than wed night (but you still have to wait) stayed till dark, starting to like this beach just for a random evening surf. Still no west coast though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Mhmm...weetabix

Anyone get out to Maghermore today/tonight/lastnight (depending on when you read this) if so was it any use? Trying to decide wheter to head West or just stay home tomorrow, on MSW the conditions look similar enough. I've got plans tomorrow evening and the 90 minutes saved by staying near Dublin could be handy, then again if there's no waves there's no point! Advice please!
    Thank's,
    Dave

• Advertisement

was out last night it was ok just for an after work surf/paddle , if i had the choice ide def head west :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭binhead

just woke up, face hurts.... panadol doom... so, will I drive to Maghermore now? I'm in Dubland central, is there anything happening there?

If this message isn't replied to in 4 minutes my head will cave in and I'll get no surf..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭conman78

Tomorrow night (tuesday) looking good for Maghermor session after work....as to whether it'll be peeing or not is a tough call....well worth a look if the southerly's arrive on cue....if so Killiney after lunch on low might be a goer!

was in Maghermore this morning 8am...rough , but good waves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napapa

Hey Masta Cheif-Whats a good wave in Maghermore....my first time down there on saturday and wasn't great.Going by magicseaweed it wasn't supposed to be great this morning and yet tomorrow has 3 stars...do you even bother with MSW (except for the photo gallery)

Hi there....I dont use MSW , I use windguru and Met Eireann.... As for waves , this was very good but rough , waves producing surfable barrels too....

what conditions are needed for a surfable ripple at maghermore,appreciate the feedback..

offshore swells with any type of northly winds , usually sees it working well

cheers,i'll have a go tomorrow evening and see how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

offshore swells with any type of northly winds , usually sees it working well

:eek: That doesn't really make sense. Also the information is inaccurate!

Powerful swells with as much South in them as possible. Please do not look at magicseaweed, their Irish charts are incredibly flawed (although their near shore and spectral readings from the buoys are great).

I had some complicated examples, but basically the wind on the Irish sea is as important as a bit of swell sneaking up.

• Advertisement

LOL ...shows the knowledge u lack, those are conditions for a specific area , MM in wicklow .... :rolleyes: ... Those are the conditions we have today and surf is great....some people :rolleyes:

LOL ...shows the knowledge u lack, those are conditions for a specific area , MM in wicklow .... :rolleyes: ...

Fair enough, everybody is entitled to an opinion, even a wrong one.
    I've been surfing for years, and wouldn't really go near the Irish sea or Wicklow as its almost always completely crap.
    Generally speaking, 99% of the time its low wave period slop thats unsurfable. That 1% of the time there is storm surf, which is barely ridable.
    Also the feeling of not being hungry anymore after surfing the Irish sea is odd...

In my examples, I showed typical realistic examples of conditions.
    Also, I gave examples for the Dublin area, not Wicklow.
    For all your roll-eyes and "txt-spk" you don't seem to grasp a few basics.
    "Offshore swells" doesn't exactly fit in that sentance. Did you mean offshore winds? Or did you mean southerly swells?
    Those are the conditions we have today and surf is great....some people :rolleyes:
    No, those are not the conditions today. Thats simply incorrect. Sorry.

LOL oh here we go " Iv surfed for years " .... <references removed : c - 13> Unlike yourself , I wont lower the tone of a friendly board , by correcting your NOOB mis-information...Enjoy the waves brother..

Back on topic , anyone needing EAST coast info PM... ( to avoid idiots confusing the readers )

Actually I am BSA qualified :)
    Anyways, take care!

Good chit chat lads. Maghermore not epic but when you compare a 30 min drive to 150 mins on a day where most people work..its well worth going..on a simple note..Maghermore is good for S/SE/SW winds over bout 30mph to produce decent enough waves on the Irish Sea. Courtown if you're a little more experienced can be pretty good too

Maghermore can be bit dangerous on Northerly..waves drive towards the rocks..strong rip on a heavy day opp the little stream and by the rocks too.

conman78 wrote: »
    Maghermore not epic but when you compare a 30 min drive to 150 mins on a day where most people work..its well worth going.

+1

thats the whole point

+1 conman... agreed "possibly dangerous " however if u stay to the right of the beach you will be fine..

getting back to the point (east coast),anyone think it would be worth going down to MM tomorrow.

Oh yeah sorry bout that..tomorrow might be ok for a paddle board only. Judge east coast surf by Irish Sea winds only. Use the charts on Magicseaweed to see the live winds etc. When they're 30ish its all systems go, somewhere will be well worth a look. Today is your best bet. Maybe 1st thing tomorrow morn if you cant go today.

Study those charts and windguru and you'll have it figured out when its a go and when not...dont mind the star ratings unless there's a huge wrap around swell.ie very rare! but lots of surf to be had without high tailing west!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭will3k

Anyone been out to Maghermore today? Is it worth the drive? :confused:

Advertisement