Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing from Dublin???

Options
  • 13-11-2007 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to take up surfing - which being a total newbie would mean a lot of beginners lessons. The trouble is, I'm based in Dublin. Where is the nearest place to me that I could get lessons and/or catch decent surf?

Cheers,

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

the nearest place is tramore
    T Bay

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭roxychix

if your willing to travel a couple of good surf schools and best waves in the country and that is in bundoran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭buildabong

I was browsing tramoresurfshop surfboards - Found this pic of a sure fire way to damage/crack a board - just rest it tail first onto a hard surface.:mad:
    Sorry, I am being anal but I hate seeing a brand new board damaged this way.
    Always rest your board on your shoe or something.
    Surfshop employees should know better!!!
    cd73f6fcae0449a6466d8d933127c7a9.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 u all suck

strandhill is acutaly quicker to get to and a lot more consistent than tbay.2hrs frm dublin kildare border.maynooth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭seanieclarke

u could join the eastcoast surf club.

ill be joining once i pass my driving test and can transport myself to the beach

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

Probably off topic but how active are east coast surf club? Would they head north each weekend there is swell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭irishsurfer

Very active, especially at youth development

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭seanieclarke

Very active, especially at youth development

thats great for the likes of myself.

how active u talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Spoony2

buildabong wrote: »
    I was browsing tramoresurfshop surfboards - Found this pic of a sure fire way to damage/crack a board - just rest it tail first onto a hard surface.:mad:

I allways thought that the best thing for a pic like that is a foot to protect the tail. cool art work tho...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭irishsurfer

Re Youth Development, Contact Charlotte at techworks.ie or go to one of their regular meetings.
    The ECSC holds a meeting at the first Monday of every month in Gleeson's pub in Booterstown from 8pm.
    Its posted in the events section of my site

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 traboy

paddyb wrote: »
    the nearest place is tramore
    T Bay

no its not its wexford.ya dont no wat ur talkin about....go onto westcoastsurf.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 u all suck

traboy wrote: »
    no its not its wexford.ya dont no wat ur talkin about....go onto westcoastsurf.com

(ya dont know what ur talkin about)tra boy ur a gimp.keep secret spots secret.choc bay etc,locals only.no wonder lbi banned ya:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Lovely clean waves rolling in on Dollymount strand on Sunday (9th Dec). I had a ball, perfect longboard fun. They were coming in in sets, the largest were about four and a half foot. I took some photos, will post them up later. It was really cold though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Mhmm...weetabix

lightening wrote: »
    Lovely clean waves rolling in on Dollymount strand on Sunday (9th Dec). I had a ball, perfect longboard fun. They were coming in in sets, the largest were about four and a half foot. I took some photos, will post them up later. It was really cold though.

Aaaah nuts! Portmarnock was absolutely dead when I checked....gonna have to start checking dollyer and the likes.

Portmarnock was cracking on Saturday! I was out for an hour and a half... (all on the rising tide before 12 noon)

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Griff77

Had a look at Portmarnock myself on Saturday morning but the tide was fully in (11.30) and the waves were very messy at this stage. Stayed in bed too long from the sounds of it...:( Hopefully next weekend it'll be working.

Lightening is low tide best for Portmarnock or anytime bar high tide!?!

Griff77 wrote: »
    Lightening is low tide best for Portmarnock or anytime bar high tide!?!

I THINK its good on a rising tide or an ebbing tide. Fully out or in doesn't seem to work.

I stand corrected, it was working well on the ebbing tide!! I was out from 13.15 onwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Griff77

Thanks, that would tie in with what I saw on saturday morning so.

Cheers

Terrible photos of dollymount, I swear they were much bigger in real life!!

STA_7178low.jpg

STB_7179LOW.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Hi Lightening,

What sort of depth did you have under you for those waves at Dolly? It's a couple of years since I last wind/kitesurfed out there but I can't remember how shallow it gets inshore.

I was just wondering if your fins would be running aground surfing in on those?Also I guess they were pretty much closing in all across the line at once yah?

I'm looking for a few Dublin spots for the odd Stand up Paddle surf session, if the conditions were right.... otherwise i'll just be using it for the excersise on this coast. The problem is the fin is pretty large on the board and I was just wondering if it would be grinding into the sand there.

Cheers,

JAK

• Advertisement

Its very rare in Dollymount to get those conditions. I was well out of my depth catching the waves and I was falling off the waves in about four foot of water. I was using a nine foot two board with a single large fin. They were not closing in all at once, they were breaking right and left pretty slowly. A better surfer than me could have carved the waves for ages and ages without loosing as much depth. Again, the photos don't do it much justice.

It was really cold and there was a seal watching me in amazement!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Thanks Lightening.

I know they are fairly rare alright, but I guess like yourself (and with the possible acquisition of a SUP board) I would like to be a bit more opportunistic about getting out on the water in Dublin.

Cheers,

JAK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭g-punkteffekt

I can't believe my eyes when I look at those dollymount pictures. Surely those conditions must happen only every few years?? I've been away from Eire since March, looks like it's going to be classic on the west coast this weekend, lucky gits

Surely those conditions must happen only every few years??

Not really, nice waves again on Sunday, the onshore wind wasn't helping, but there was certainly fun to be had!

Dollymount was good yesterday!

waves2low.jpg

waves1low.jpg

Don't park on the beach and watch out for the rocks!

car1low.jpg

I have a cough, can't go out.... :mad:

u all suck wrote: »
    (ya dont know what ur talkin about)tra boy ur a gimp.keep secret spots secret.choc bay etc,locals only.no wonder lbi banned ya:cool:

well done ya kook,u just named a spot........
    just shhh be quite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Mhmm...weetabix

Bollox, I keep missing days on the eastcoast, any idea what it was like this morning? Will have to investigate tomorrow since I wont be hungover for a change...

Bollox, I keep missing days on the eastcoast, any idea what it was like this morning? Will have to investigate tomorrow since I wont be hungover for a change...
    yeah true sure its usually flat over there!!!!you my get courttown harbour on those big storm swells,when tramore is blown out

Spoony2 wrote: »
    I allways thought that the best thing for a pic like that is a foot to protect the tail. cool art work tho...
    ah jesus boi get over yourself,just because its touching off the ground that doesnt say its been damaged....cop on for yourself boi

• Advertisement

buildabong wrote: »

ah yeah whatever,just because its touching off da ground,dat doesnt day its been damaged....cop on for yourself boi,and get a life,dont be starting problems,just because you have nothing better to be doing with your time.

Advertisement