Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

They are know sometimes only to give two weeks maximum notice for medical and starting phase 1 week or so later... so who knows... you in with a shout still.

yes the only give two weeks to a week notice of the medical so if you are to hear about they ll contact you from the 19th onwards so dont give up hope that easy:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 kruger248

da__flash wrote: »
    yes the only give two weeks to a week notice of the medical so if you are to hear about they ll contact you from the 19th onwards so dont give up hope that easy:cool:

I definitely won't be giving up hope that easily, just trying to be realistic. My BR form had a lot of names on it and about half are overseas. Good to hear there is time to make the next intake though.

Has anyone here definitely made the May 7th class yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rookie09

I rang up the sgt who interviewed me in my local station today about my BR form and he told me he sent it in the next day after my interview with him which was the start of Feb.So I rang up Garda Reserve HR and they said there still doing checks,most of it is done just a few outstanding.I dont have too many names on the form so hopefully Ill find out soon enough where I stand!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

kruger248 wrote: »
    Hi Spartan, did you get a phone call or an email to notify you of your medical?

i got both, plus a letter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭lippy88

Hi all,
    I have my interview and exam coming up next week...i was just wondering am i wasting my time if i have minor offences commit in the past!when i was 18 i got arrested for a drunken scuffle with another lad and we were both took to the station..nothing happened over it though,just had to come back a few weeks later and chat with the super!!i also have 2 offences for speeding-4 penalty points!!!Is this going to complicate things for me a lot more or should i go ahead with the interview and hope for the best?? Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

lippy88 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I have my interview and exam coming up next week...i was just wondering am i wasting my time if i have minor offences commit in the past!when i was 18 i got arrested for a drunken scuffle with another lad and we were both took to the station..nothing happened over it though,just had to come back a few weeks later and chat with the super!!i also have 2 offences for speeding-4 penalty points!!!Is this going to complicate things for me a lot more or should i go ahead with the interview and hope for the best?? Cheers
    Your description of the scuffle situation sounds like it might not even be uncovered by a background check (sounds like no paper record - certainly no criminal record resulting from it). I doubt a few penalty points will be a deal-breaker either. Definitely worth going for the interview if you fancy joining the reserve imo.

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    Your description of the scuffle situation sounds like it might not even be uncovered by a background check (sounds like no paper record - certainly no criminal record resulting from it). I doubt a few penalty points will be a deal-breaker either. Definitely worth going for the interview if you fancy joining the reserve imo.

Yes i will! Im sure there could be paperwork involved though somewhere there!!:pac: i have never had any court appearences anyway!Are u a member of GR yourself?? If so do you think it is worthwhile me thinking of joining if its the full force that i really want to join?I can imagine that the full force will not be recruiting for years am i right??I somehow feel that i am wasting my time if i go ahead into the GR and undertake the 108 approx. hours training when i could just wait 2 or 3 years and then chance applying for the full force:confused:Thanks for your help by the way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Yes i will! Im sure there could be paperwork involved though somewhere there!!:pac: i have never had any court appearences anyway!Are u a member of GR yourself?? If so do you think it is worthwhile me thinking of joining if its the full force that i really want to join?I can imagine that the full force will not be recruiting for years am i right??I somehow feel that i am wasting my time if i go ahead into the GR and undertake the 108 approx. hours training when i could just wait 2 or 3 years and then chance applying for the full force:confused:Thanks for your help by the way!!
    Yeah, no worries. The reserve seems to be a good way of checking if the full-time would be good for you. A number of reservists have gone on to the full-time. I hear what you're saying about doing the reserve training and then going for the full-time but, when you think about it, doing 2 years in Templemore (and out on duty) to find you don't like it would be an even bigger waste! In any event, I've been speaking with some people at Garda HQ who say that nobody even knows when the next full-time recruitment is starting anyway - so you've nothing to lose. The reserve will also work in your favour (as long as you haven't REALLY screwed up) if/when you go to join up. Some people even have applied for the full-time and reserve simultaneously before the moratorium started. So go for it. :)

(I'm only at the final stage of the application myself, by the way. An eye-test result to send back in and I'll be in one of the next two intakes I'd say).

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    Yeah, no worries. The reserve seems to be a good way of checking if the full-time would be good for you. A number of reservists have gone on to the full-time. I hear what you're saying about doing the reserve training and then going for the full-time but, when you think about it, doing 2 years in Templemore (and out on duty) to find you don't like it would be an even bigger waste! In any event, I've been speaking with some people at Garda HQ who say that nobody even knows when the next full-time recruitment is starting anyway - so you've nothing to lose. The reserve will also work in your favour (as long as you haven't REALLY screwed up) if/when you go to join up. Some people even have applied for the full-time and reserve simultaneously before the moratorium started. So go for it. :)

(I'm only at the final stage of the application myself, by the way. An eye-test result to send back in and I'll be in one of the next two intakes I'd say).

Oh right thanks for the advice! Realisticly speaking it will probably be the end of this year before i can get into the reserves-if everything goes right for me ya...or even longer???Im doing having my interview in donegal, live in sligo and go to college in Dublin!Any idea where i would end up getting placed if i did make it/would it be where i choose??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

Oh right thanks for the advice! Realisticly speaking it will probably be the end of this year before i can get into the reserves-if everything goes right for me ya...or even longer???Im doing having my interview in donegal, live in sligo and go to college in Dublin!Any idea where i would end up getting placed if i did make it/would it be where i choose??

hi lippy88

i moved from the south of the country to dublin due to work not to long ago and it was no hassle. the area where ur living in will be where you being heading

• Advertisement

Lippy

You ll be going back to your homeplace not the area directly close to it but about 30 miles away or so if follow what i m sayin the cant really put in your home district. Any questions just fire away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 kruger248

starman08 wrote: »
    Who knows which way is best.. cause the way we did it ate into college classes and into other peoples work shift patterns

Were you asked if certain times suited people or was there a set time given for lectures each week?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

Finally cleared the last hurdle, medical all done and dusted and got the all clear, fingers crossed will be in the group going down on the 7th of may, cant wait!!

When you get your uniform and do training in the station in phase4 do you have your Garda ID at that stage? Also do reserves during training wear the blue templemore student epaulettes like full time students?

Good things come to those who have loads and loads and loads of patience....!!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jmc1546

I got the call yesterday to day i have my medical on the 5th of may.

If i pass and there is still a place left i will start my training on the 7th.

Fingers crossed all goes well and i can get to start on the 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jenny81

Hi, i have my interview with an inspector on tuesday, anyone have any advice for me, in what sort of things they ask and that??

jenny81 wrote: »
    Hi, i have my interview with an inspector on tuesday, anyone have any advice for me, in what sort of things they ask and that??

its an informal chat really just go dressed smart casual pants shirt shoes you know yourself and you ll be fine all together

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jenny81

da__flash wrote: »
    its an informal chat really just go dressed smart casual pants shirt shoes you know yourself and you ll be fine all together

cheers, nearly there now fingers crossed

cheers, nearly there now fingers crossed

best of luck:cool:

Finally got word today, 14 months later, but worth the wait, have the call for beginning training on the 7th of May....!! Cant wait for it to finally begin, feels like such a relief to be at the final stage of application and the beginning of what I hope will be long service to An Garda Siochana......!! Looking forward to hearing who also got the word to start...."!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jmc1546

I was told if i pass my medical on the 5th and that if there is any places i would be starting on the friday the 7th.

Fingers crossed i do because i have my heart set on starting on the 7th.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

Great news Spartan, When your waiting that long - it's well worth the wait!! Best of luck...Mc Jakester...
    Spartan09 wrote: »
    Finally got word today, 14 months later, but worth the wait, have the call for beginning training on the 7th of May....!! Cant wait for it to finally begin, feels like such a relief to be at the final stage of application and the beginning of what I hope will be long service to An Garda Siochana......!! Looking forward to hearing who also got the word to start...."!!!

Great news Spartan, When your waiting that long - it's well worth the wait!! Best of luck...Mc Jakester...

Thanks, for anyone hoping to get the call for next week make sure you have an original copy of your long birth cert as they will need that to register you prior to training so if you dont have one get one asap....!!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

do you have any idea how long the waiting time is for the medical

anything up to 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 EI-CML

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering if somebody could point me in the right direction, I took foundation level maths for my Leaving Cert and only got a C2 but I have educational psychologists report that diagnosis me with discalculia (a specific learning difficulty with maths) and dyslexia.

Since then I have gained a place in College studying Law I was just wondering if there if there was any sort of exceptions made in these sort of circumstances?

I am not looking for pity or an easy way in but was just wondering if there was anyone I could contact. I am going to try the Garda College and Public Jobs see if they have any answers, but just thought i'd see if anyone had any similar experiences.

Thanks for your time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭shaunerz

EI-CML wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I was just wondering if somebody could point me in the right direction, I took foundation level maths for my Leaving Cert and only got a C2 but I have educational psychologists report that diagnosis me with discalculia (a specific learning difficulty with maths) and dyslexia.

Since then I have gained a place in College studying Law I was just wondering if there if there was any sort of exceptions made in these sort of circumstances?

I am not looking for pity or an easy way in but was just wondering if there was anyone I could contact. I am going to try the Garda College and Public Jobs see if they have any answers, but just thought i'd see if anyone had any similar experiences.

Thanks for your time.

Heya, i failed maths in my leaving and i emaild the boy from public jobs, he said the i was elegible for an exemption from my leaving cert as i have a Diploma. So id say your okay with your circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Guys, is there a roughly average time between the interview at the local station & the medical exam? Is it likely to be weeks or months...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

EnterNow wrote: »
    Guys, is there a roughly average time between the interview at the local station & the medical exam? Is it likely to be weeks or months...

Months and even years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

starman08 wrote: »
    I wonder does it depend what part of the country you are in? Like i did everything in the northeast louth meath area

There are a few facts that determine the length of time you wait.
    - The area and need for reserves in that area
    - The amount of relatives that are on your BR Form and the amount of the living abroad.
    - How busy the station is where you hand in the form to be processed, sometimes it can be on someones desk for quite some time before been moved to the next stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Theallad

There are a few facts that determine the length of time you wait.
    - The area and need for reserves in that area
    - The amount of relatives that are on your BR Form and the amount of the living abroad.
    - How busy the station is where you hand in the form to be processed, sometimes it can be on someones desk for quite some time before been moved to the next stage.

anyone know why does this matter ??? I have 4 of my father's brothers and sisters living abroad ???

that mean I'll be waiting longer ???

Advertisement