Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical & How long have you been waiting?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

kruger248 wrote: »
    Hi Spartan, did you get a phone call or an email to notify you of your medical?

Got phone call and confirmation details and medical form then by email

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Had interview and written exam in dec, br sent back jan, still waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Cullen82

Anyone know when the next intake is? I have interview,test,meetings etc completed.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rookie09

I believe the next intake is in september.Did you do the medical?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 gardatrafficop

next intake for garda reserve is next friday the 7th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jmc1546

Did my Medical last week passed everything bar hearing test. It was low on my left ear but right ear was perfect.
    The nurse on the day said that there was some wax in that ear.

So they sent me away not passing or failing me just to get it cleaned and checked and to come back from a hearing re-test.

I had them cleaned at my doctor and today I was at a ear,nose,throat (ENT) consultant. Who said there is a issue at just the 4k (hz) level with my left ear but because its so high up the range that it wont stop me from hearing normal day to day speech or sounds.
    From my medical history and tests he did he is 95% sure that this is something i was born with.

But i don't think this going to satisfy the garda medical doctor.

Question:
    Is there a process appeal that you can go trough because the issue is so marginal because the consultant and doctor said he will write any letter or make any calls to back my case that my issue will not effect me to work as a garda reserve?????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

jmc1546 wrote: »
    Question:
    Is there a process appeal that you can go trough because the issue is so marginal because the consultant and doctor said he will write any letter or make any calls to back my case that my issue will not effect me to work as a garda reserve?????????

Sorry to hear about this... The rules are the rules, sorry to say. When it comes to a medical they really don't bend the rules. I know you are feeling a bit shot and down at the moment but if you had intended to join the full time force you would not get in on that hearing test outcome, so if that was the case it's a bit of a blow to know you won't get into the regular force. And if it was just to join the reserves... well... its not that bad... it isn't going to affect your earning or future job prospects... and, on another front there are so many organisations out there that could do with volunteers like yourself... good luck in your future plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Fiona4037

Question:

Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done. Now, if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you are because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭we3gkfu6qit95s

Did my Medical last week passed everything bar hearing test. It was low on my left ear but right ear was perfect.
    The nurse on the day said that there was some wax in that ear.

So they sent me away not passing or failing me just to get it cleaned and checked and to come back from a hearing re-test.

I had them cleaned at my doctor and today I was at a ear,nose,throat (ENT) consultant. Who said there is a issue at just the 4k (hz) level with my left ear but because its so high up the range that it wont stop me from hearing normal day to day speech or sounds.
    From my medical history and tests he did he is 95% sure that this is something i was born with.

But i don't think this going to satisfy the garda medical doctor.

Question:

Im also worried about this although i have not had my medical yet.
    i went the doctor this time last year an he refered me to the eye an ear hospital ive been a year waitin for my appointment which is friday hope it all goes well.
    maybe you should have your ears cleaned go back resit the exam you never know you might just pass it??no harm giving it a go.
    also i think it very unfair i mean if you can hear fine for everyday life it shouldnt be a problem but rules are rules unfortunatley.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jmc1546

Wel i know rules are rules but if you take the UK police force if i had the same result there they would a option to do ''whisper test''. That would show then that you have no problems hearing normal words at a low level.

Ya dont meet pure tones on a nomal day. Speech is made up of different tones and different levels, hence why i have no problem hearing anything.

Have a re-test so going to do it and see what happens. My level is so slightly down that it will be up to the doctor on the day to decide if its a pass or fail. But i dont dont think it will be a straight yes like i was hoping the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭we3gkfu6qit95s

Wel i know rules are rules but if you take the UK police force if i had the same result there they would a option to do ''whisper test''. That would show then that you have no problems hearing normal words at a low level.

Ya dont meet pure tones on a nomal day. Speech is made up of different tones and different levels, hence why i have no problem hearing anything.

Have a re-test so going to do it and see what happens. My level is so slightly down that it will be up to the doctor on the day to decide if its a pass or fail. But i dont dont think it will be a straight yes like i was hoping the first time.

I couldnt agree more this sort of thing really needs to be looked at i really hope ya pass just concentrate like hell :)
    when will you be resiting the test?

I know what you are saying but not to sound like a broken record rules are rules... Saying that you don't meet pure tones every day so all is ok really is missing the point... the fact that your hearing isn't up to the required standard means that you have damaged hearing, no matter how it happened the fact is that it is damaged, and you could further damage your hearing in the line of working with AGS because your hearing was weeker than normal in the first place. I have met this situation before in my past life and the state could be legally responsible for any further damage to your ears so thus they have a bar or standard so everyone is at the same level / standard at the start. I do feel sorry for these people in these situations but comparing other states police services really is not helping the disappointment that this person now feels. These Irish medical standards will never change going forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Months and even years!

Surely not years? Im aware the process can take over a year from the start, but from the local interview to the medical (rough average) im not sure of...

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭starman08

EnterNow wrote: »
    Surely not years? Im aware the process can take over a year from the start, but from the local interview to the medical (rough average) im not sure of...

I think for me the it took the summer..i did the exam just before college exams started i had my interview with an inspector and a sergeant in navan garda station at the start of summer and then around august the medical. Then September i was down in Templemore. That was last year so cant be too bad.. Just depends what their work load is i guess

EnterNow wrote: »

Well, average is about 1 year, as for myself it took 3 months approx. Some people here are waiting well over a year. Hope that helps a bit better

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭starman08

Well, average is about 1 year, as for myself it took 3 months approx. Some people here are waiting well over a year. Hope that helps a bit better

I wonder does it depend what part of the country you are in? Like i did everything in the northeast louth meath area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 lavman

Finally got word on my medical after waiting over a year for checks to be completed. Can anyone give me a heads up on what they do for the medical at the Garda headquaters? I've to fill out a form to bring me with and get it signed by my G.P. Do they have there own doctor to carry out tests on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Horse04

Hi all,

I did my interview in march 2008 and interview with the S.I. 2 months later and still waiting on a medical date.

Has anyone been in the same situation if so what did you's do becoz it's been too long?

Cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 johnpaul6

Hi Horse04, that seems a long time seem to me your file has got lost, have you been in touch with your local station where you had meeting with si. I would get in touch with garda HQ, you can sent them an email there quiet quick to get back with a responce, as I handed in my BR in Feb and still waiting so I sent email to HQ and they said they would check it out for me, so its worth a try , as i have known people who handed in Br had meeting, madical within weeks, then straight to templemore , now in training at local station, all within few months,

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭djh

lavman wrote: »
    Finally got word on my medical after waiting over a year for checks to be completed. Can anyone give me a heads up on what they do for the medical at the Garda headquaters? I've to fill out a form to bring me with and get it signed by my G.P. Do they have there own doctor to carry out tests on the day.

It's all pretty standard and nothing to worry about if you have a secent level of fitness.

You are seen first by a nurse who will
    get you to
    - listen to some beeps in a sound proof room (stay away from the iPod for a week before hand)
    - blow into a tube (you can't really change your lung capacity!)
    - pee into a cup (keep off the booze)
    - have your blood presure taken (try and stay calm)

Next up the doctor will
    - do a routine physical exam, prodding, poking and checking the curve of spine (wear clean underwear!)
    - check eyesight and colourblindness
    - check weight, height and BMI. (stand up as tall as you can, it reduces the BMI calculation)

Might be forgetting a couple of things, it has been a while.

It's all rather painless and quick, though with lots of waiting around. They will tell you there is you pass or not.

When you go to your GP to get form signed you can ask him to look into your ears, or do a lung function test if you are worried about either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sm900

djh wrote: »
    It's all pretty standard and nothing to worry about if you have a secent level of fitness.

You are seen first by a nurse who will
    get you to
    - listen to some beeps in a sound proof room (stay away from the iPod for a week before hand)
    - blow into a tube (you can't really change your lung capacity!)
    - pee into a cup (keep off the booze)
    - have your blood presure taken (try and stay calm)

Next up the doctor will
    - do a routine physical exam, prodding, poking and checking the curve of spine (wear clean underwear!)
    - check eyesight and colourblindness
    - check weight, height and BMI. (stand up as tall as you can, it reduces the BMI calculation)

Might be forgetting a couple of things, it has been a while.

It's all rather painless and quick, though with lots of waiting around. They will tell you there is you pass or not.

When you go to your GP to get form signed you can ask him to look into your ears, or do a lung function test if you are worried about either.

With regards to the lung function test is there a pass or fail mark? thats the main thing im worried about on the medical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Horse04

Hi John

I got in touch with hq just now they have me file there so thats a good thing about the only good thing so far tho they said there still doing back ground checks they also said I have a relitave in the central inteligence agency in america that there checking that too bit strange:confused:. Your at the stage that I'm at now awaiting medical date in hopefully you wont be waiting as long. Keep in touch with the HQ every so often if you think you'll be waiting long becoz i'm waiting ages.

When did you last here from them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭tcd

guessing you have to pee into a cup for a drug test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭DustyMan

sm900 wrote: »
    With regards to the lung function test is there a pass or fail mark? thats the main thing im worried about on the medical

There is indeed. But it's difficult to fail unless you have some serious lung condition or you are of very small physique (lower lung capacity therefore). For this test take the deepest beath you possibly can and give the hardest fastest breath into the device. Give it your living best!! Also make sure you grip the device properly with your lips making all your breath enters the device. Hard to fail I assure you if you do it properly. They normally take the best of 3 attempts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭DustyMan

tcd wrote: »

Most likely checking for glucose in your urine. If so your diabetic and a no go. However quite possibly they do a drug screen on it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

At last!! well done, how long were you waiting?
    lavman wrote: »

sm900 wrote: »

I had the same concern, but passed.

It is not the electronic lung function machine (Plethysmograph) which measures peak flow and peak volume, if I am remembering right.
    Instead they use the more traditional (and forgiving) manual handheld device that you give you big sharp blow into. It measures lung volume, I think.
    You do it three times and they take the average.

They say you cannot really changeyour lung volume or function, but I cranked up the cardio in the gym for a couple of weeks before hand and focused on my breathing doing it.
    Don't know if it helped or not but it made me feel better about the test

tcd wrote: »

They use a little stick test, checking for liver and kidney function, if there are particular proteins/enzymes in your pee it indicates damage.

As DustyMan said, a glucose test looks for diabetes.

Don't know about a drugs test, thoung one might expect them to test for such things.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Jeanxx

djh wrote: »
    They use a little stick test, checking for liver and kidney function, if there are particular proteins/enzymes in your pee it indicates damage.

As DustyMan said, a glucose test looks for diabetes.

Don't know about a drugs test, thoung one might expect them to test for such things.

Yep I had a UTI that day & it came up. They send anything that comes up away for testing anyway. One of the nurses put the fear of God into me, I had a feeling I had a Kidney infection anyway but the way she was going on you'd swear I was just about to drop dead! The other nurses & the doctor that I had were very nice though :) & as I said they're quite thorough if anything out of the ordinary does come up, I got a call back a few weeks later telling me that I indeed had a UTI & to get tested at my own doctors & send the results.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 johnpaul6

Hi Horse04. Yea once you have any relations living abroad this does delay things, because i have a brother in law who is in banking in australia so i beleive this can some times take up to 2 years to complete background check , if only all family could live in ireland we could be walking the beat now, although I have been told by a high ranking member that keep in touch regular with hq and this keeps your file fresh in there mind, that your not left at the bottom of the pile, i just emailed them again to see what s happened to my file , think it must have blown out the window:confused: well lets know how you get on

Advertisement