Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

Theallad wrote: »
    anyone know why does this matter ??? I have 4 of my father's brothers and sisters living abroad ???

that mean I'll be waiting longer ???

The reason is that the back-round checks for those people living abroad then has to be sent to those police stations in those counties, thus your back-round checks for those persons is at the mercy of the other counties in question so the speed and urgency in processing those requested checks for AGS can be but on a bigger pile in those police stations!
    Hope this helps further.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭clayton1

Theallad wrote: »
    anyone know why does this matter ??? I have 4 of my father's brothers and sisters living abroad ???

that mean I'll be waiting longer ???

to be brutally honest, YES - well maybe anyway. as munster4868 pointed out, it depends on the police stations in those countries.

put it this way, i have 2 relatives living outside this country. I applied for the reserves in June 2006, and i started my training in 2008. I know other reserve members who did der training with me who applied for the reserves early 2008.

There you go. But in saying that, i suppose that doesn't tell the full story. For all i know, documents could have been lost on me in a foreign police station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 collig2

Will the BR form count as the background check when going for the AGS?...considering its long wait, it would want to be! This waiting game is a disgrace..if i was told back when I applied (nov 2009) that I'd be waiting this long, I probably would have not done it...and the worst thing is that there are people on here waiting alot longer than I am...what a joke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭DustyMan

Hi all,

Just a query, something I'm unsure of. I have applied to the GR. I live in Carlow. I've put Kildare as the county I'm willing to work in should I be successfull. Is this ok? I mean should I be putting Carlow? I initially did but later changed it to Kildare. The reason being I would'nt want to serve in my local area.
    What's the waiting time before they contact an applicant?
    Thanks in advance. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 jonnie5

DustyMan wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just a query, something I'm unsure of. I have applied to the GR. I live in Carlow. I've put Kildare as the county I'm willing to work in should I be successfull. Is this ok? I mean should I be putting Carlow? I initially did but later changed it to Kildare. The reason being I would'nt want to serve in my local area.
    What's the waiting time before they contact an applicant?
    Thanks in advance. ;)
    you will not serve in carlow .kildare will be ok.your wait can vary but it is a long process before you start .read all the past threads .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭DustyMan

Sound J5, Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

collig2 wrote: »
    Will the BR form count as the background check when going for the AGS?...considering its long wait, it would want to be! This waiting game is a disgrace..if i was told back when I applied (nov 2009) that I'd be waiting this long, I probably would have not done it...and the worst thing is that there are people on here waiting alot longer than I am...what a joke!

Maybe you should have read the threads here at the time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

welcome to AGS, pull up a chair and enjoy the waiting you become very paitent in time to come:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mc carthy 2

i applied for the Garda Reserve late 2008 i passed everything.They done the vetting they keep telling me there waiting on 1 check to come back.Is there any course for 2010 or are they just not sending anyone for training.Everytime i phone them they tell me the same thing.We are waiting on 1 check to come back.Did anyone out there have the same experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 kruger248

i applied for the Garda Reserve late 2008 i passed everything.They done the vetting they keep telling me there waiting on 1 check to come back.Is there any course for 2010 or are they just not sending anyone for training.Everytime i phone them they tell me the same thing.We are waiting on 1 check to come back.Did anyone out there have the same experience.

it's most likely a check on a relative abroad. Dealing with a foreign police force will slow the process down. I'm also waiting on background checks and have been told they are ongoing. There has been three intakes of reserves so far this year and looks like there will be two or three more before the end of the year. So there is still a very good chance that you will start training in 2010.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mc carthy 2

thanks kruger i do hane a sister in the uk and i worked in the usa also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 kruger248

thanks kruger i do hane a sister in the uk and i worked in the usa also

That will be it so. Look at it this way, at least you know you only have one check left so you can't be too long more. I don't know if they inform that your checks are completed and you have passed or if you just get a call for the medical. Maybe someone else on here who has been through it will know.

kruger248 wrote: »
    it's most likely a check on a relative abroad. Dealing with a foreign police force will slow the process down. I'm also waiting on background checks and have been told they are ongoing. There has been three intakes of reserves so far this year and looks like there will be two or three more before the end of the year. So there is still a very good chance that you will start training in 2010.

Ya that sounds correct. Maybe you might talk to your local seg. and explain to him your situation. Maybe he / she might be able to shed some light on it. Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Cullen82

Also passed everything and had my final meeting with the Insp last Month but he said someone should call me with 2 Months or so.

I'm obv hoping to be part of the intake but was wondering if there's any need to ring publicjobs to check in with them or should I sit tight (what I had intended on doing) ?

Cullen82 wrote: »
    Also passed everything and had my final meeting with the Insp last Month but he said someone should call me with 2 Months or so.

I'm obv hoping to be part of the intake but was wondering if there's any need to ring publicjobs to check in with them or should I sit tight (what I had intended on doing) ?

Sit tight... public jobs have really nothing to do with your application at this stage... down to the garda HQ and college now! Good luck... they usually call you for a medical within 1 month to two weeks before next course... good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sparky80

Hi all,

I Just want to say thanks to all of you for posting such informative msgs,
    most of which are reassuring to know that other people are experiencing some of the same issues.

I just got a call the other day from Reserve HQ with my medical date so I'm pretty excited now. It's been a long road to this point and I was starting to doubt my application was goin anywhere at all.

So thanks again to everyone for contributing to this thread.

I'll be on more frequently from now on.

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭DavidH82

sparky80 wrote: »
    Hi all,

most of which are reassuring to know that other people are experiencing some of the same issues.

I just got a call the other day from Reserve HQ with my medical date so I'm pretty excited now. It's been a long road to this point and I was starting to doubt my application was goin anywhere at all.

Regards

Congratulations sparky, it's great to see another person from here advancing. I know the long wait is a killer but it's great encouragement for all of us still waiting to get called for a medical. Does anyone think there will be an intake in July? Unfounded rumours welcome of course:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jenny81

Hi all,

Regards

well done thats great news, just wondering how long you were waiting for your medical from the time you had your interview with the seargant/inspector?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

Hi all,

Regards

after 13 months plus, I wish I could share your enthusiasm!! :(:mad:

leddpipe wrote: »
    after 13 months plus, I wish I could share your enthusiasm!! :(:mad:

ahhhhh, NOOOOOOOOOO and heres me thinking id get in the next intake :(

• Advertisement

jenny81 wrote: »
    ahhhhh, NOOOOOOOOOO and heres me thinking id get in the next intake :(

sorry i wasnt clear, 13 months since my initial application!still havnt done the medical!sorry hahaha!

sorry i wasnt clear, 13 months since my initial application!still havnt done the medical!sorry hahaha!

ah right, that makes more sense, still a long time though, im sure it will be worth the wait though when it happens, mite see ya in templemore eh, haha

jenny81 wrote: »
    ah right, that makes more sense, still a long time though, im sure it will be worth the wait though when it happens, mite see ya in templemore eh, haha

heres bloody hoping!

Same for me, my form BR was handed in exactly a year ago. I suppose it's good to know I'm not the only one. Did you have a lot of people on your form BR leddpipe?

DavidH82 wrote: »
    Same for me, my form BR was handed in exactly a year ago. I suppose it's good to know I'm not the only one. Did you have a lot of people on your form BR leddpipe?

A reasonable amount alright.some family living abroad also,think think thAt may affect the length of time

A reasonable amount alright.some family living abroad also,think think thAt may affect the length of time

I'm in a similiar situation so there's hope for me yet. Best of luck with the medical.

DavidH82 wrote: »
    I'm in a similiar situation so there's hope for me yet. Best of luck with the medical.

H

cheers,and yourself.I'm resigned to the fact that the reserves won't happen in time to make any discernable difference for AGS.

H

cheers,and yourself.I'm resigned to the fact that the reserves won't happen in time to make any discernable difference for AGS.

Well at least you can say you applied and were accepted. It can't be held against you that the background checks take so long. You have shown the interest anyway, that's got to count for something.

You could well have phase 1 and 2 done by the time you get called for a fulltime interview. You would have some training and possibly passed your legal studies exam. It would be great if you were able to show the interview board an A grade in your exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 collig2

Hi lads, just got a call earlier to say I have my interview with the Super tomorrow. Was just wondering what to wear and wether it is more of a chat than an interview? Also, is it similar to the initial interview in regards to questions etc?

Cheers in advance!!

• Advertisement

Hi lads, just got a call earlier to say I have my interview with the Super tomorrow. Was just wondering what to wear and wether it is more of a chat than an interview? Also, is it similar to the initial interview in regards to questions etc?

Hi collig, it's a chat more than an interview. The super wants to get an idea of your character, interests etc. I spent most of mine talking about clubs and organisations I was involved in but everyones is different.

Dress wise, the consensus is smart casual. There is no need for a suit, but you do need to look smart and make a good impression.

There is no pass or fail mark on this, just be genuine and show your interest in the role. I think it's just a case that the super signs off your form saying that he/she thinks you are suitable to be a member of the reserves.

Best of luck anyway.

Advertisement