Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 limerick2009

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Hey Limerick2009, I seriously wish I was joining you there but as of now NGA I have not heard anything about even a medical never mind my background checks being complete. This waiting is just :( now.

Hello All
    The waiting is awfull i agree.Just stick with it.The call will come and it will be worth the wait.My advice would be,try and put it to one side.Thats what i did and the call came.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 sparkey1

wannabes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭dentalnurse

sparkey1 wrote: »
    wannabes

sparkey1 you havnt a clue!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

sparkey1 wrote: »
    wannabes

sparkey....take a weeks holidays....try to behave next time you enter the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 colmwills5

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    A while back there the question of whether or not it's possible to train/complete duties in one area and then transfer to another arose. Just to let anyone interested in this know; I rang the reserve office today and was told that it's definitely possible to transfer from one area to another (I'm moving to Dublin in a few months time and hadn't wanted to screw up the timing with the move and the training, etc).

Furthermore, you can even have had your interviews with super/sgt in the one location and then do your training elsewhere - same with training in one area and then doing your attested duties elsewhere.

Quite the relief for anyone who's been waiting for ages, is planning on moving over the next while, and doesn't want to have to start all over again!

Thats good to know, I was worrying because I might have to move and I am waiting to start training, after getting this far and all the waiting it would be awful to have to give it up just because you move, it puts my mind at ease. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rookie09

Hi folks
    just got the letter today to say i passed the interview and report writing :) fairy swift response considering i only had the interview on thursday hopefully the B.R form goes the same way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I've my interview at the start of december :)

Gonna get myself a suit.. is that too formal? And a nice haircut!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

funkyflea wrote: »
    I've my interview at the start of december :)

Gonna get myself a suit.. is that too formal? And a nice haircut!

Hey, I don't think a suit is too formal, if anything actually, I think it is expected at stage1. It is only when meeting the Sergeant and Superintendent that a full suit is not seen as a requirement, seems less formal in my opinion, as in tie won't be necessary.

Let us know how you get on won't you? Happy shopping for your suit :)

rookie09 wrote: »
    Hi folks
    just got the letter today to say i passed the interview and report writing :) fairy swift response considering i only had the interview on thursday hopefully the B.R form goes the same way!!

Hey well done :). That result did come fairly fast alright but well done. Mind my asking what part of the country you done your stage1 in?

That B.R. form will be some fun by you, seriously just get stuck into it but I wouldn't rush it for the sake of getting it in. Just make sure everything is accurate as possible and good luck in your meetings with your local Sergeant and Superintendent.

Hey, I don't think a suit is too formal, if anything actually, I think it is expected at stage1. It is only when meeting the Sergeant and Superintendent that a full suit is not seen as a requirement, seems less formal in my opinion, as in tie won't be necessary.

Let us know how you get on won't you? Happy shopping for your suit :)

Thanks kerry4sam!

Wonder if there'll be many others in my area, says there's only 1 reserve in the whole of wexford.. I read that somewhere!

Another question.. I've a small tattoo on my forearm, it could be covered with a plaster even but would this be a problem? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rookie09

Hey well done :). That result did come fairly fast alright but well done. Mind my asking what part of the country you done your stage1 in?

That B.R. form will be some fun by you, seriously just get stuck into it but I wouldn't rush it for the sake of getting it in. Just make sure everything is accurate as possible and good luck in your meetings with your local Sergeant and Superintendent.

Hi kerry4sam

I done it in chapter house in Dublin City Centre,I'm from the northside:cool:
    There was about 8 of us doing the report writing exercise ranging from 18 to early 30s.

This B.R. form is certainly alot of fun trying to get all the details of my ancestors!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

Thanks kerry4sam!

Wonder if there'll be many others in my area, says there's only 1 reserve in the whole of wexford.. I read that somewhere!

Another question.. I've a small tattoo on my forearm, it could be covered with a plaster even but would this be a problem? :o

WRONG at present there are 8 Reserves in the Wexford Division.

freddiew wrote: »
    WRONG at present there are 8 Reserves in the Wexford Division.

Alright, calm down, I just said that I read it somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

Alright, calm down, I just said that I read it somewhere.

We expect a written apology for that kind of mistake :pac:

We expect a written apology for that kind of mistake :pac:

Here's where I read it
    Stations to which the 322 attested Reserve Members are currently assigned

Wexford 1

I just noticed there enniscorthy,gorey and new ross are listed too. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

Im still waiting on supers interview and medical. Its interesting, I rang the vetting unit and they said my BR part was done from their point of view but needed to be sent back to HQ and looked at by various depts there (eg SDU to look for subservisve links). At this stage obviously wont make the Nov intake but speaking to people in HQ they indicated that there will be multiple intakes next year. Speaking with full time member friends they are conscious / worried for Reserves that as recruitment is frozen and retirement continues that expectations of reserves will continue to increase despite the limited powers thus far.

It would also appear from posts on here and discussion with full time member friends that the range of responsibilities / duties assigned to Reserves depends both on the station assigned and also the Sgt in charge of each particular unit. Ive had two full time member friends insisting that Reserves should carry ID while off duty which of course contradicts info on this particular forum. In general feedback from full time reserve member friends has been generally positive about the contribution of the Reserve. Still waiting but also still cant wait to get involved!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bluesandtwos

I am in a bit of a limbo.
    I am currently working in Security, which is an excluding factor in the recruitment criteria. I went for the interview and explained that I would leave my job to join the reserve. I recieved my letter from the PAS advising me I am through to the next stage and to fill out the BR form.

I am currently studying for a diploma in college 3days a week and working in security 6 nights per week. I'm just wondering if anyone would know if it would be possible for me to claim jobseekers benifit or something along those lines if I was to leave my job to satisfy the entry criteria. I really want to go into the full time force and I feel the reserve is a step in the right direction for me.

Does anyone have any advise/experience with Social Welfare in a similar situation?
    Many Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 kingdom lad

Just wondering i passed my interview in april and did my interview with the super in may. Rang last week and my checks are ok and nearly complete, they couldnt give me an idea of when i would be called for next stage do.
    Once you do the medical how long will we be waitin to commence training. Really looking foward to startin!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

Just wondering i passed my interview in april and did my interview with the super in may. Rang last week and my checks are ok and nearly complete, they couldnt give me an idea of when i would be called for next stage do.
    Once you do the medical how long will we be waitin to commence training. Really looking foward to startin!

Once you are called for the medical, you'll almost certainly be included in the next intake (since they only seem to do the medicals if there is an intake coming up!)

This year, there have been 4 intakes so far and I believe there is one more in November sometime. Assuming next year also has 5 intakes, you shouldn't have to wait too long once all your background checks are complete.

Of course, that could be a very big assumption and depending on budgetary cuts etc the number of intakes may be reduced. I've no information either way on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 nurane

hi i am new in this forum , and i am not irish do i have a ny chance to apply for garda reserve? :) and do speak 4 languages and i thin i will be a good help in grada reserve....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭willit

jmc1546 wrote: »
    Quick question. I applyed for the reserves a few weeks ago trough the public jobs website.

I havent got any information back from them yet on my application,
    but i was on the website today and found a Interview application form for position of garda reserve.

The question is do i have to wait for information from public jobs or can i just complete the above form and send it off??

jmc1546,

I was finding it confusing about how to apply to the reserves this past few days. Got some really good information about it from the guys here, but in the end there is no "Apply Now" button on publicjobs.ie so I was at an impass. In the end I e-mailed publicjobs for clarification and they said that I had to fill out the interview application form and send it in. They will sort out the candidate number once you send in the form.

This is probably different from the way it was done before because it kind of contradicts some of the information I was getting. Or maybe they are having problems with the updating of the website that's currently ongoing, I don't know which.

Either way, I would tell you to fill out that form and send it in. I did that yesterday, got the phone call about 20 minutes later and am in line for interview next Feb in Cork (Kerry interviews aren't until May so I asked if I could go for it in Cork and she said I can;))

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭heyjay14

willit wrote: »
    jmc1546,

I was finding it confusing about how to apply to the reserves this past few days. Got some really good information about it from the guys here, but in the end there is no "Apply Now" button on publicjobs.ie so I was at an impass. In the end I e-mailed publicjobs for clarification and they said that I had to fill out the interview application form and send it in. They will sort out the candidate number once you send in the form.

This is probably different from the way it was done before because it kind of contradicts some of the information I was getting. Or maybe they are having problems with the updating of the website that's currently ongoing, I don't know which.

Either way, I would tell you to fill out that form and send it in. I did that yesterday, got the phone call about 20 minutes later and am in line for interview next Feb in Cork (Kerry interviews aren't until May so I asked if I could go for it in Cork and she said I can;))

Where can we pick up the form???

heyjay14 wrote: »
    Where can we pick up the form???

Guys,

Have a read of this

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭willit

Guys,

Have a read of this

:cool:

That is a really comprehensive post with all the information you could possibly want alright. As I said though, there is no "Apply Now" button on the publicjobs.ie site that it tells you navigate to.

You need to follow these instructions to get the form:
    go to www.publicjobs.ie
    On the left hand side of the page click on Campaign Updates
    Click In Progress Campaigns
    Scroll down the page to the Garda Reserve (Voluntary) section and the Interview Application Form is the first form.

Fill this form out in full and send it to gardareserve@publicjobs.ie

Once I did that I got a phone call within twenty minutes to discuss my options for interview. As I said in an earlier post the Kerry interviews aren't until next May so I can sit an interview in Cork in February. Also if I do get through the interview the fact I sat it in Cork won't affect where I'm based, so I would still be based in Kerry.

Anyway, I hope that helps. I don't want to take from the information on the link funkyflea put up as this is extremely good stuff, it's just that things seem to have changed a bit or else have been affected by the updating they are doing to the website.

willit wrote: »
    That is a really comprehensive post with all the information you could possibly want alright. As I said though, there is no "Apply Now" button on the publicjobs.ie site that it tells you navigate to.

You need to follow these instructions to get the form:
    go to www.publicjobs.ie
    On the left hand side of the page click on Campaign Updates
    Click In Progress Campaigns
    Scroll down the page to the Garda Reserve (Voluntary) section and the Interview Application Form is the first form.

Fill this form out in full and send it to gardareserve@publicjobs.ie

Once I did that I got a phone call within twenty minutes to discuss my options for interview. As I said in an earlier post the Kerry interviews aren't until next May so I can sit an interview in Cork in February. Also if I do get through the interview the fact I sat it in Cork won't affect where I'm based, so I would still be based in Kerry.

Anyway, I hope that helps. I don't want to take from the information on the link funkyflea put up as this is extremely good stuff, it's just that things seem to have changed a bit or else have been affected by the updating they are doing to the website.

Thanks Willit for relaying this info for people who wish to apply now. It does seem to have changed somewhat from when both sdonn and I applied (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055677315).

For the record, I also done my stage1 in Cork, infact I was the only one there that day from Kerry, but sur their is always one :D

Hello all
    I would like to take this opportuninty to thank all the people who posted helpful advice over the last year.My wait finally ended today,when i got the official call to start training on November 27.It was a long wait and my patience tested but it was worth it :).All the helpful advice kept me going.To all out there in the process,stick with it.The waiting is tough and painfull but ye will get there.
    All the best in the application process,
    Limerick2009.

Hello all
    I would like to take this opportuninty to thank all the people who posted helpful advice over the last year.My wait finally ended today,when i got the official call to start training on November 27.It was a long wait and my patience tested but it was worth it :).All the helpful advice kept me going.To all out there in the process,stick with it.The waiting is tough and painfull but ye will get there.
    All the best in the application process,
    Limerick2009.

:D ah jakers limerick I am delighted for ya. Well done mate. I sincerely wish you well and I hope you will love it.

Well done again,
    Kerry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭glhoran121

just got e-mail today the wait is over start training on the 27th anyone else heading down /???

glhoran121 wrote: »
    just got e-mail today the wait is over start training on the 27th anyone else heading down /???

Yeah Limerick2009 will be there.:)Congratulations to you,well done.

• Advertisement

:D ah jakers limerick I am delighted for ya. Well done mate. I sincerely wish you well and I hope you will love it.

Well done again,
    Kerry :)

Thank you for the kind words kerry,
    Regards,
    Limerick.

Advertisement