Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

freddiew wrote: »
    Yes, there is no problem getting a transfer, I was in Dublin for my first year then I moved to Co. Wexford and I got a transfer within a month.

mmmmmmm. who do you know!!!!! By the book (as the regulations state) it has to be two years after the attestation date, but it is a voluntary service you are doing so hence if a load of people aren't asking for transfers you can do it below the radar. Thanks freddiew for your imput on this point. Now Kerry4sam, you could have taken that job afterall:D:pac: Oh, one final thing COME ON CORK. bring Sam home

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

mmmmmmm. who do you know!!!!! By the book (as the regulations state) it has to be two years after the attestation date, but it is a voluntary service you are doing so hence if a load of people aren't asking for transfers you can do it below the radar. Thanks freddiew for your imput on this point. Now Kerry4sam, you could have taken that job afterall:D:pac: Oh, one final thing COME ON CORK. bring Sam home

Hiya guys..
    just wondering has anyone actually not passed after the reserve probation period of 2yrs .. of course no names should be mentioned but just curious..

trail man wrote: »
    Hiya guys..
    just wondering has anyone actually not passed after the reserve probation period of 2yrs .. of course no names should be mentioned but just curious..

A few! Ask to leave???:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭jypo

Im going for my Pas interview on wednesday, what should i wear, smart casual or shirt and tie? or does it make a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

jypo wrote: »
    Im going for my Pas interview on wednesday, what should i wear, smart casual or shirt and tie? or does it make a difference.

hey jypo, dress to impress, shirt and tie, suit if you have one. it makes all the difference. good luck, let us know how you get on :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭jypo

will do, sound

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

definitely suit if you have one

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

Now, after passing interview and written test, time for BR form.
    I am stuck at one question:-

"give a contact of Garda who can vouch for you..."

I dont know any garda who knows me personally very well:(
    \
    any idea how to tackle that part of the form??

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

ASTRACLUB wrote: »

\

thanks

when you drop the form to the station, ask when you had it in, some one will sign it for you, thats what i did. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

ASTRACLUB wrote: »

\

thanks
    That item threw me a bit when filling out the BR form too. I didn't actually know any gardai that well. I called the reserve office and the guy on the phone clarified that the item is non-mandatory - in other words, you only have to fill that out if you actually know a garda personally. Otherwise, you don't have to fill it in (although it might be a good idea to write something brief to the effect that you don't know any gardai well).

All the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Sincere best of luck tomorrow jypo. I would advise just giving another glance over these here threads for last minute suggestions & advice but I'd say you should be okay though. Do keep us posted :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭dentalnurse

havnt been on in a while.... just think guys, a class is being taken in on friday!!! its great for them :) fingers crossed for november :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

havnt been on in a while.... just think guys, a class is being taken in on friday!!! its great for them :) fingers crossed for november :)

Oh wouldn't I love to get a call for a medical on Thursday, I'd be on the next plane up :D . Yeah fingers crossed for November but I'm not holding out much hope though.

I am delighted for those who are starting though, beginning of a great experience for them. I hope it goes well for all involved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭barneycotter

I did my interview and written report today just wonderin is der anyone who didnt fully complete the report due to time and got thru to the next stage of selection

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,790 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I did my interview and written report today just wonderin is der anyone who didnt fully complete the report due to time and got thru to the next stage of selection

Please leave out the text speak. It's in the charter. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭DavidH82

I didn't get to finish my written report and I passed that stage. It seems to me that if you can produce most of the report to a good standard that is enough to pass the test. Remember that the report is only part (50% I think, open to correction) of the score for this stage anyway. How do you think you got on in the interview?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 anvil

hello all,just a short note to let the people that are worried regarding finishing the test and what to dress like for interview,well i done my exam and test on 3 march 09,got word approx 2 weeks after to say i had passed,both.and to let anybody that has failed on the first go ,dont give up,try try again,because i passed on my 3 attempt,and on the last attempt i only completed half my test,compared to the two previous tests which i completed all the test,passed the interveiws on the 3 occasions,so it just shows ,dont give up,also on the dress sence,i wore casuals only ,that doesent mean that you dont have to dress well,so i still am not home and dry yet,waiting on the background cheques,please god i will know soon,regards to everybody,dont forget try try again.

DavidH82 wrote: »
    I didn't get to finish my written report and I passed that stage. It seems to me that if you can produce most of the report to a good standard that is enough to pass the test. Remember that the report is only part (50% I think, open to correction) of the score for this stage anyway. How do you think you got on in the interview?

Correct. it carries the same points as the interview. It does help to finish the test and do a good interview, but if you don't finish the test, you need to do a great interview. All isn't lost barneycotter remember if you don't at first succeed - try and try again

every day take a step closer to your dream :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭barneycotter

Anyone failed first time and on second time around are the interview ppl the same people

Anyone failed first time and on second time around are the interview ppl the same people

Very likely not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 sf94

I'm starting Reserve training tomorrow and am planning to drive over from Dublin in the morning (leaving around 7am should get me into Templemore about 9am I reckon). I've never been to Templemore before but I'm assuming the way to the Garda College is fairly well sign posted once you get into Templemore??

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

sf94 wrote: »
    I'm starting Reserve training tomorrow and am planning to drive over from Dublin in the morning (leaving around 7am should get me into Templemore about 9am I reckon). I've never been to Templemore before but I'm assuming the way to the Garda College is fairly well sign posted once you get into Templemore??

I didn't think so, well the town Templemore is but the college isn't, just look out for a huge square with a big wall around it, can't really miss it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Hey im waiting on backround checks since feb 08 for the Grda Reserve, i know the medical form that they email you is the same as full time members joining. i was woundering if anyone would still have this form in min there email and would it be possible to email it to me, i just want to see what ill have to get my doctor to fill out. Thanks tommy. My email is kingdomwest@hotmail.com by the way thanks. biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭billyhead

Hey im waiting on backround checks since feb 08 for the Grda Reserve, i know the medical form that they email you is the same as full time members joining. i was woundering if anyone would still have this form in min there email and would it be possible to email it to me, i just want to see what ill have to get my doctor to fill out. Thanks tommy. My email is kingdomwest@hotmail.com by the way thanks. biggrin.gif

If I could get this also it would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

I wouldn't worry about it lads, it's a very basic form. The doctor just checks Blood Pressure and Heart rhythm, and may write down any other previous illness or injuries and then signs it.

To anybody who had their first training session over the weekend:

How was it? Any features/events that stand out? Anything of interest? Hope all went well for anyone who was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 totallydaft

the two days went well,,there was about 52 in total in phase 1,,the friday was mainly made up of lectures mostly about the history and culture of the gardai,human rights,a self defence lecture and reasons for joining.finished at about 4pm and then had to wait ages for a uniform fitting then after that off to pollys for a drink:D,,the saturday was mainly made up of role play excercises and basic self defence,we were also assigned to garda stations for the 56 hrs for phase 2,,also had to sign a few more forms and had mugshots done lol an finished at about 4pm again on saturday.the staff were excellent,very friendly and helpful really made us feel at ease!great people there also made some good friends overall very enjoyable:)

the two days went well,,there was about 52 in total in phase 1,,the friday was mainly made up of lectures mostly about the history and culture of the gardai,human rights,a self defence lecture and reasons for joining.finished at about 4pm and then had to wait ages for a uniform fitting then after that off to pollys for a drink:D,,the saturday was mainly made up of role play excercises and basic self defence,we were also assigned to garda stations for the 56 hrs for phase 2,,also had to sign a few more forms and had mugshots done lol an finished at about 4pm again on saturday.the staff were excellent,very friendly and helpful really made us feel at ease!great people there also made some good friends overall very enjoyable:)
    52's a pretty good number to be there. I'm glad to hear it went well. Congratulations again on getting through with the most recent group and all the best with the rest of your training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 totallydaft

thanks again,,what is your situation? have you applied or going to apply

• Advertisement

thanks again,,what is your situation? have you applied or going to apply
    I've passed the initial stage and am waiting for my background checks and medical. Hope they come through soon as I'm moving to Dublin in 8 months and want to be done with the training by then.

Advertisement