Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭glhoran121

let me know what you call it !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

glhoran121 wrote: »
    let me know what you call it !!!!!

it called november 27 intake it up and running, hopefully it do better then the thrend i set up called reserve callage

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Hey,
    i applied in 2007,
    waiting on background checks since feb 08 and im still waiting, there ongoing so don't get yer hopes up!!! I really hope i get called for medical soon!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭barneycotter

Do your aunts and uncles get sent out forms to fill in

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

Do your aunts and uncles get sent out forms to fill in

no, they don't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Got my interview with the super tomorrow in Cork. Here's hoping it all goes well.

Does anybody know when the next intake (after the November one) is happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    Got my interview with the super tomorrow in Cork. Here's hoping it all goes well.

Does anybody know when the next intake (after the November one) is happening?

Good Luck with your meeting with your Superintendent. I have never, being honest, never heard of a meeting that hasn't gone well with any Superintendent or Sergeant either for that matter ;). Just be yourself and be honest and before you know it, it'll be over and you'll be onto your next waiting game - the medical :).

I have heard un-confirmed talk of the next Reserve in-take being next February, but as I say though, it is un-confirmed as of right now.

Hey,
    i applied in 2007,
    waiting on background checks since feb 08 and im still waiting, there ongoing so don't get yer hopes up!!! I really hope i get called for medical soon!:D

So still no movement then Tommy :pac:

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Good Luck with your meeting with your Superintendent. I have never, being honest, never heard of a meeting that hasn't gone well with any Superintendent or Sergeant either for that matter ;). Just be yourself and be honest and before you know it, it'll be over and you'll be onto your next waiting game - the medical :).

I have heard un-confirmed talk of the next Reserve in-take being next February, but as I say though, it is un-confirmed as of right now.

Thanks for the good wishes. It's true that everyone I've dealt with so far has been very decent. Most recently, that was the Sgt. at my local station - he really followed up on things in a system that...ahem...sometimes requires some following up on! ;)

Hopefully, we'll be sorted for February if the intake goes ahead then. It's a shame that the waiting time is pretty much impossible to predict. Some people on here have been waiting two years already. Others seem to pass through to training after about 6 months or so. Guess you just keep the head down and get on with things. A watched...eh...reserve garda never trains. Or something like that...

Had the interview with the superintendant today. It went very well I have to say. He was very friendly, said he'd be approving my application, and was very much encouraging me to consider the full-time. I'm very eager to get started now.

Also, he said that, as far as he knew, the next intake would be in March (for those of you wondering).

Medicals, here we come!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Had the interview with the superintendant today. It went very well I have to say. He was very friendly, said he'd be approving my application, and was very much encouraging me to consider the full-time. I'm very eager to get started now.

Also, he said that, as far as he knew, the next intake would be in March (for those of you wondering).

Medicals, here we come!

Well done EGOSHEA..that's promising.

Interviews in my area being held in just over two weeks and they still haven't given me a time to go for my interview. Getting worried now..

funkyflea wrote: »
    Interviews in my area being held in just over two weeks and they still haven't given me a time to go for my interview. Getting worried now..

Can I ask how you heard they're being held in your area? I mean, when I applied, I only found out they would be in my area when they sent me the letter with the date and time of both my interview & report-writing.

Medicals, here we come!

Nice one, yeah I still remember my meetings and feeling so at ease walking out of them & wondering what in the name of God was I worrying about like! :o Sur they were in more or less that position themselves (meeting their own Sergeant & Superintendent) at one stage in their life aswell.

March, cool. I am still holding onto faith that I'll see Templemore on 27th November though, their are still 2weeks to be called for the medical and I would take a days' notice if I'm honest.

Can I ask how you heard they're being held in your area? I mean, when I applied, I only found out they would be in my area when they sent me the letter with the date and time of both my interview & report-writing.

Got an email from PAS saying interviews in my area (ten mins away from my house) are being held on the 1st and 2nd and sent me the application form to fill in.

I filled it in and sent it back and got an email off 'Joanne' or someone saying that they had acknowledged my application and will contact me shortly with the exact date (1st or 2nd) and time that I should attend the interview & report writing..

:(

Got an email from PAS saying interviews in my area (ten mins away from my house) are being held on the 1st and 2nd and sent me the application form to fill in.

I filled it in and sent it back and got an email off 'Joanne' or someone saying that they had acknowledged my application and will contact me shortly with the exact date (1st or 2nd) and time that I should attend the interview & report writing..

Good stuff. You're on your way now. All the best with it.

After you meet the sergant what's the next step and what's the waiting period .

After you meet the sergant what's the next step and what's the waiting period .

The waiting period is different for everyone but the next step is a meeting with your local Superintendent.

What's the meeting with the super about

Is there anyone I should ring to check about this? Haven't heard anything back.

Is there anyone I should ring to check about this? Haven't heard anything back.

Hey I would just give PAS a ring tomorrow being honest. It could be that your letter got lost in the post; or could even be that they have deferred the stage1 interview & report-writing for your area to later in the month!?

I don't know myself the reasoning behind it & I would assume that only PAS would. So I would recommend you give their reserve department a ring tomorrow and see what they say to you.

Do let us know what you're told, if you do decide to phone them.

• Advertisement

It will more or less the same as your meeting with your Sergeant, only a lot shorter. It will just be a general meeting to see what kind of character you are; any interests in full-time or what is your reasoning behind wanting to join the reserves etc. Nothing to be in the slightest bit concerned about.

Just be honest & be yourself in there when you do get the call to meet them. For me, my local Superintendent is just such a great character, it was as if we were friends of years having a chat after awhile of no-contact. Strange but true. He was a pure honest to God gentlemen I would be honored to work with.

You can ask them some questions of your own if you like. I asked about how the reserves are received generally and he told me that it was generally very good but that it depended on things like the extent to which the reservist was willing to work. He also suggested the benefits of doing 2 X 8-hour shifts (or 'reliefs') a month (instead of 4 X 4-hour ones). This enables the reservist to complete whole reliefs instead of coming along in the middle of one or finishing early. Working shifts with the same unit also enables good working relationships and comraderie to develop. He also had a preference for reservists to work Friday and Saturday nights (the busy times) but I'm sure they can work with whatever you're able to commit to time-wise.

Hope this helps.

Does anyone know how many trainee reserves were taken in at the last in-take? and /or how many are due to be taken in on the 27th November?

Also, would anyone know if the trainee reserves are being taken in based on their area where they would be stationed and whether they would be required at this point in time in said stations?
    and /or whether their is any correlation between where they would be stationed and the length of time it takes for background checks to be complete?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

Does anyone know how many trainee reserves were taken in at the last in-take? and /or how many are due to be taken in on the 27th November?

Also, would anyone know if the trainee reserves are being taken in based on their area where they would be stationed and whether they would be required at this point in time in said stations?
    and /or whether their is any correlation between where they would be stationed and the length of time it takes for background checks to be complete?

I can't answer any of your questions directly, but from my experience, our intake consisted of 42 people from every corner of the country - there didn't seem to be any bias towards any particular part.

My personal impression is that when they are organising an intake, they send a pile of people from the pool of those who've passed the BR checks off to the Phoenix park to do the medical and then they take the first ~40 people that pass it.

I don't think its any more complicated than that. But as I say, I've no direct knowledge of this - its just my impression.

Checked with PAS on 01-8587400 who said they haven't sent out interview times yet for my application and would let me know soon..phew.

stiofanD wrote: »
    I can't answer any of your questions directly, but from my experience, our intake consisted of 42 people from every corner of the country - there didn't seem to be any bias towards any particular part.

My personal impression is that when they are organising an intake, they send a pile of people from the pool of those who've passed the BR checks off to the Phoenix park to do the medical and then they take the first ~40 people that pass it.

I don't think its any more complicated than that. But as I say, I've no direct knowledge of this - its just my impression.

I have a habit of just analyzing things so that's why I thought of the above and perhaps their was some other reasoning behind the checks for some being completed over others who would have more or less the same numbers & numbers abroad etc. Cheers for your answer.

Checked with PAS on 01-8587400 who said they haven't sent out interview times yet for my application and would let me know soon..phew.

Making that phone-call must have put your mind at ease I'd say, at least you know it's in the pipe-line though.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

Anyone hear anything about when the next intake after the November will be, keeping my fingers crossed for January but nothing to substantiate this...

Spartan09 wrote: »
    Anyone hear anything about when the next intake after the November will be, keeping my fingers crossed for January but nothing to substantiate this...

Medicals, here we come!

Going by what EGOSHEA's says after his very recent with his local Superintendent, the talk is March for the next in-take. I would trust that as the Superintendent would have a better knowledge on the in-takes.

• Advertisement

Has anyone been called for a medical this week ?

Advertisement