Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

the two days went well,,there was about 52 in total in phase 1,,the friday was mainly made up of lectures mostly about the history and culture of the gardai,human rights,a self defence lecture and reasons for joining.finished at about 4pm and then had to wait ages for a uniform fitting then after that off to pollys for a drink:D,,the saturday was mainly made up of role play excercises and basic self defence,we were also assigned to garda stations for the 56 hrs for phase 2,,also had to sign a few more forms and had mugshots done lol an finished at about 4pm again on saturday.the staff were excellent,very friendly and helpful really made us feel at ease!great people there also made some good friends overall very enjoyable:)

Many thanks totallydaft, appreciate the run-down by you. Hoping for November in-take now myself :pac:. Best of luck for phase2 and hope you keep us posted as much as you can on this public forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭billyhead

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Many thanks totallydaft, appreciate the run-down by you. Hoping for November in-take now myself :pac:. Best of luck for phase2 and hope you keep us posted as much as you can on this public forum.

Hi Kerry4sam,

Have you been contacted in relation to going for a medical as of yet?

billyhead wrote: »
    Hi Kerry4sam,

Have you been contacted in relation to going for a medical as of yet?

hey, as of now I am quietly optimistic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 totallydaft

thanks! well if anyone has questions id be happy to answer,,though im not an expert lol but will do my best! i applied back in september of 08, had interview in april of this year and think my medical was on around end of july start of august,,so 12 months in total from applying on PAS to starting of phase 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 ozalseker

hi folks.
    i got e_mail from publicjobs.ie that saying they are doing an interview for midland area on November 2009.What should i do now?will i download application form and send it to publicjobs.ie dublin address.
    Can any1 tell me what the procedure is?should go for training for interview?or what do they ask on interview?
    i ll be appreciate of your help///
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 eric muray

thanks for the forum great advice, applied on the 6th of oct, is there much in training??

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭paulbolg

heyjay14 wrote: »
    Howa doin lads, quick question. Is it possible to join the reserves when still in school? Im in 6th year now and plan on joining the guards full time when they are recruiting again, in the mean time I thought id join the reserves, is this possible when still in school?

as far as i know when i applied for the reserves a couple of years age you do have to b e finished school as you are required to have your leaving certificate done as they require a copy of it. trust me its well worth the wait though.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

I applied in March 09, sent in BR check, which the station forgot to send on initally. HQ contacted me to see if I was still interested in Aug and a quick call to the station reminded them to send it in. Out of curiousity I rang the vetting unit last week to see how the checks were going and they told me they were finished a few weeks ago and my file was sent back to HQ. The guy in the vetting unit said the average length of time to complete a check is 5-6 weeks. I have a very large extended family and a number in the UK so was pleasantly surprised by how quickly it was completed. Still havent had my sgt or super interview as I live near a large divisional station which is really busy and they told me there was quite a backlog of people for interview there. Still seems to be moving along but would love to be further as we all would I suppose.

Was speaking to someone in work recently whose brother is in the reserve for the past year. They were telling me that he loves it, is fully accepted by the unit he's in and has actually recieved commendations for his actions on occasions. She also told me that he was told to carry his Garda ID at all times, which conflicts with other info on these pages that reserves are supposed to leave their ID in their stations, anyone any clarity on this one?

sorry hit post before I was finished, also another question / comment, the info re the duties of a reserve state that they are only to work the outer cordon of events, but, I was speaking to a Sgt friend recently who told me that he had policed a concert and he had responsibility for a number of reserves with him. Is it that when on the ground the regulations re responsibilities are adapted to suit the individual stations needs?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

Spartan09 wrote: »
    She also told me that he was told to carry his Garda ID at all times, which conflicts with other info on these pages that reserves are supposed to leave their ID in their stations, anyone any clarity on this one?

Depends on the station, I leave mine locked up at home, only use it when I'm on. A reserve will never be told to bring it around with them at all times, he probably just said that to the family

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

You dont have to have your LC done as there is an exemption but on sayin this the exemption is for special cases, all you have to be is 18:D

da__flash wrote: »
    You dont have to have your LC done as there is an exemption but on sayin this the exemption is for special cases, all you have to be is 18:D

Need the LC, exemption is only for people who were only unable to do the LC due to the time they grow up. Exemption is only for people over a certain because of that, or people who grew up in another country

a yes i no this as i said in certain situtions you dont need your leavin;)

da__flash wrote: »
    a yes i no this as i said in certain situtions you dont need your leavin;)

No prob, just saw your post replying to a guy who was in 6th year of school. Probably no chance for an exemption

no bothers:cool: ya no chance for exemption there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 anvil

hello just wondering if their is any big men going for medical,as i am a blacksmith i am very well built,6 ft in height 20 stone,i carry steel around all day,was always big while playing hurling and boxing,i hope this doesent affect my chances,as i have a bit of a belly,but massive arms and legs,,thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

best to do a calc of your BMI there first http://www.weigh2live.eu/
    the medical is strict on this being less than 30.

anvil wrote: »
    hello just wondering if their is any big men going for medical,as i am a blacksmith i am very well built,6 ft in height 20 stone,i carry steel around all day,was always big while playing hurling and boxing,i hope this doesent affect my chances,as i have a bit of a belly,but massive arms and legs,,thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

Any1 know if there reserves are recruiting because i have made 2 Applications on publicjobs.ie and after about a month of being submitted it is closed.

Does this mean it has been sent further up the chain or is it something else?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭barneycotter

Is a shirt and tie too
    much for the super meeting

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Dubbhoy

Tripp wrote: »
    Any1 know if there reserves are recruiting because i have made 2 Applications on publicjobs.ie and after about a month of being submitted it is closed.

Does this mean it has been sent further up the chain or is it something else?
    Thanks

Hey Tipp,

This happened me before I applied in march and have not heard anything at all. So I gave a call to PJ and they said they did not get any application form. Think u should give them a buss and let them know that u have made 2 applications. might be able to sort something out for ya.

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

Is a shirt and tie too
    much for the super meeting

that'd be fine, I'd recommend wearing a pants and shoes too:D

all jokes aside, smart-casual is fine if you don't have a suit etc.

I know its in here somewhere but could take quite a while to find, does anyone know the direct number for the Reserve section in HQ?

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Spartan09 wrote: »
    I know its in here somewhere but could take quite a while to find, does anyone know the direct number for the Reserve section in HQ?

Ph number for Garda HQ is +353 1 666 0000 - so I guess call here and ask to be re-directed?
    Oh and while you're at it, could you ask them to take a look at my application? :D Just kidding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 swat 911

hello everybody, i am new to the boards. Just curious is ne body waiting to hear back on interview dates for the reserves? i applied in august 09.

swat 911 wrote: »
    hello everybody, i am new to the boards. Just curious is ne body waiting to hear back on interview dates for the reserves? i applied in august 09.

hey, welcome :)

PAS hold stage 1 (interview/report-writting) in various parts of the country at different intervals. I think you should say what part of the country you are located, in general and see from there if others' are waiting for that area also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 swat 911

rite, I am living up in Dublin.I applied in aug of dis year so i guess if ders ne 1 on ere that has information regarding interviews/report writing dates for the Dublin area it would be of much help.:)

cheers Kerry for the heads up on dat;)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Dubbhoy

swat 911 wrote: »
    rite, I am living up in Dublin.I applied in aug of dis year so i guess if ders ne 1 on ere that has information regarding interviews/report writing dates for the Dublin area it would be of much help.:)

cheers Kerry for the heads up on dat;)

Hey Swat

As far as I am aware that Dublin interview has being started since Start of August. I did not do my interview untill sepembber. I think they have stopped them at the moment. sorry to say that. But give PJ a ring and find out what happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 never tap out.

Hows it going? is there anyone out there in the same postion as my self . Did interview/written september passed left in br in early october . and guss what !! heard sweet fa since ? anyone in the same boat in the north east area ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭we3gkfu6qit95s

hi guys had my sergeant interview last night really top guy i was very nervous and he really assured me it would all be grand very nice bloke.glad everythings on track again :)

one thing?he said not to worry as the super interview will be grand and informal?should i dress smart anyways?or just casual?
    hows everybody getting on?any new call ups?

• Advertisement

yes it will be informal but i d still go smart casual, mayb jeans and a shirt of shirt and tie you just want to make a good impression...

Advertisement