Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Women; Gods Gift to the Earth

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭bragan

Phil01 wrote: »
    lol
    sure, its like whenever a guy would approach a girl he would do his best to have a conversation but the girl is just sitting there humming, turning her head not interested, its the whole body language, she will totally ignore u even though u are sitting right next to you.

On that point, that is just plain rude. I would never do that, nor would any of my friends. There is all types of people though!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Tha Gopher wrote: »
    Humanji- ive worked with enough to know (large multinational firm, its half west european because they require people who can speak the main European languages). Dont get me wrong, there are some absoloutely stunning Italians and Germans there, but there is a large proportion of Italian women with acne (something im not sure i ever seen on an irish girl older than maybe 16, even then its rare) and when it comes to Germans who are overweight, they arent a bit fat like a fat Irish woman. Theyre bulkier built than the tanks that rolled across Europe in the 40s and tbh when you see a new group of staff joining its depressing tbh.

Would be hard to see the acne through the layer of paint they put on their faces!

sure, its like whenever a guy would approach a girl he would do his best to have a conversation but the girl is just sitting there humming, turning her head not interested, its the whole body language, she will totally ignore u even though u are sitting right next to you. Other things include just been out right rude with what they say.

It's all in the approach, I never came across this when I lived in Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

I can't defend for lads that do this, this is totally wrong and i know lads that do that are just a***oles. But perhaps they do that becuse of the way you dress. I think guys will threat you with respect if u dress respectfully, and not like a s**t. But i dont know what you dress like so perhaps u do dress respectfully...
    Hahahah, what the unlubricated knobbly fuck are you talking about?? What's a "respectful dress", and do all girls not wearing it deserve a good groping or rapage?

What are you, a Muslim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Phil01 wrote:
    sure, its like whenever a guy would approach a girl he would do his best to have a conversation but the girl is just sitting there humming, turning her head not interested, its the whole body language, she will totally ignore u even though u are sitting right next to you. Other things include just been out right rude with what they say.

Well then take the hint...

Why should we have to say, "I'm sorry, I'm just not interested". If a guy acted like that with me I wouldn't hang around and I wouldn't need/like him to point out the obvious.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Wicknight wrote: »
    Well that is probably because they aren't looking to be picked up where as the guys are probably looking for a score or a shag.

Irish guys seem to assume that if a woman is out in a pub or a nightclub she is there to be chatted up, probably because guys who are chatting up women are there to chat up women, so they assume everyone else is on the same page.

They tend not to approach random strangers, since you can tell almost nothing about the person and you don't know them at all.

As opposed to what exactly?

If you were sitting on the bus and some person sat down beside you and started talking to you and wouldn't go away and wanted to be your friend, do you think you would go "Wow that is so great, a new friend", or would you go "Get the f**K away from me"

Now imagine the person was trying too hard, not particularly interesting or funny and slightly (or greatly) drunk.

Or think of it another way, since you mentioned the friends thing, what would you and your mates do if a guy game up to you and started randomly talking to you and wanted to be friends with you in a nightclub? Again would you go "Wow, a new friend"

Exactly how I would have put it..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Phil01

If you were sitting on the bus and some person sat down beside you and started talking to you and wouldn't go away and wanted to be your friend, do you think you would go "Wow that is so great, a new friend", or would you go "Get the f**K away from me"

Ok i see your point here, but if that is the case the girl doesn't have to go to the guy and tell him to p**s off, which i have seen been done, part of it is to let the guy down gently. Like put him down with his confidence in tacked.
    Because even when a guy puts on a brave face in front of his mates he still feels the rejection.
    Why should we have to say, "I'm sorry, I'm just not interested". If a guy acted like that with me I wouldn't hang around and I wouldn't need/like him to point out the obvious.

Because thats more polite than be ignorant and saying nothing!! This is excatly my argument and annoyance.
    What's a "respectful dress", and do all girls not wearing it deserve a good groping or rapage?

What are you, a Muslim?

No they dont have to look like muslims just not looking like out right sluts, because then they will be treated like that. All girls want is to be treated with respect, but if they dont dress like they respect themselves then they wont get respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

from my experiences irish girls lack self-confidence and this includes the incredibly attractive girls too. I don't believe the majority of irish girls are arrogant but it is very very rare for an irish girl to approach a guy in a bar/club whereas the opposite is true with foreign girls.

OP, I don't think you realise what women have to deal with in clubs. I had a smelly old man start dancing with me last week. I danced away from him and then he came over and tried to offer me money to go home with him. And before anyone says it, I was dressed totally respectably.

We get a lot of **** when we go out so it can be a built in reflex to say "p!ss off!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

Well that is probably because they aren't looking to be picked up where as the guys are probably looking for a score or a shag.

Irish guys seem to assume that if a woman is out in a pub or a nightclub she is there to be chatted up, probably because guys who are chatting up women are there to chat up women, so they assume everyone else is on the same page.

They tend not to approach random strangers, since you can tell almost nothing about the person and you don't know them at all.

As opposed to what exactly?

Now imagine the person was trying too hard, not particularly interesting or funny and slightly (or greatly) drunk.

Or think of it another way, since you mentioned the friends thing, what would you and your mates do if a guy game up to you and started randomly talking to you and wanted to be friends with you in a nightclub? Again would you go "Wow, a new friend"

A guy coming up to chat up a group of guys is not really a good example. A girl approaching a group of lads with the intent of sleeping with one of them
    will suceed 99% of the time(assuming she's not got a face like a burn victim or some other eh, "distasteful attribute", though even then some lads would be up for it).

I think the OP's point is that women in general can tend to plonk all lads in the same pot and assume we're all child molesters/rapists. Then again it's most likely just the way your going about it OP, just bare in mind that women get approached alot by young males and can develop something of an ego. Trick is not to set off any of the normal triggers which will lead to you getting blown out, leaning in, acting needy, profuse sweating/frothing at the mouth. Also pick your targets, if they look stuck up they probably are and their not worth the effort in the first place.

EDIT. Also, this "40%" is closer to about 1-2%. I can comfortably say that in a pub/club on a weekend any young man approaching the wimmin's is out to get laid, end of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭bragan

LadyJ wrote: »
    OP, I don't think you realise what women have to deal with in clubs. I had a smelly old man start dancing with me last week. I danced away from him and then he came over and tried to offer me money to go home with him. And before anyone says it, I was dressed totally respectably.

We get a lot of **** when we go out so it can be a built in reflex to say "p!ss off!"
    Thank you - exactly what I was trying to say!! Some guys don't/won't take the hint. P*ss off is the only thing that will work, and sometimes that won't even work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Outer Bongolia

Who the hell is the OP? Bernard Manning?

I assume if you strike up conversations with females you don't know then you are looking to score. They aren't interested. How annoying it must be for a girl out with her friends to have men coming up to her, expecting a flirt and some conversation. They don't owe you a conversation. As for your remarks about dressing like a slut, I repeat are you Bernard Manning? Or maybe a son of his? Maybe you're just a Bernard Manning lookalike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

they are much nicer about they whole "i'm sorry i dont want to date you" thing.

So girls should go out of their way to save your ego, eh. Maybe you should learn to take it like a man instead? :confused:

Nice analogy, this is almost exactly what it's like for most women in a pub/club. Except it's worse, the random guy is usually sh1tfaced or coked up and blatantly just trying to find something to stick it in.

OP, go to a gay bar and then you'll see why so many women have the 'get him away quick' attitude. I'm not saying it excuses it, but it'll explain it.

1-2% its not!! I know majority of guys out there are only after getting laid, but its not nice when this happens to the good guys! i'm not talking about myself here. I wonder why any guy would find a girl attractive who has a built in relfex to tell guys to p*ss off. I sure as hell wouldnt tell any girl to piss off. If seem' womens heads swell when they get chatted up, this doesnt give u the right to degrade a guy and tell him to p*ss off.
    So girls should go out of their way to save your ego, eh. Maybe you should learn to take it like a man instead?

Yes, if a girl was interested in me and i didn't like her i wouldn't say sorry your too fat or something, i would say thanks but im not looking for a gf now. Is it that hard to let a guy down gently...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Ok i see your point here, but if that is the case the girl doesn't have to go to the guy and tell him to p**s off, which i have seen been done, part of it is to let the guy down gently. Like put him down with his confidence in tacked.
    Because even when a guy puts on a brave face in front of his mates he still feels the rejection.

Well that is more an issue the guys has with himself and his mates, not the girl. The girl has no obligation to be nice and friendly to the stranger who just came up and randomly started talking to her.

Its like beggars on the street. I long ago gave up being polite and saying "No, sorry" to every beggar who ask me for money. I just ignore them. I couldn't be arsed replying to everyone single one. If they can't handle that there is a simple solution - Don't approach random strangers for money. Now I've no problem if they do, but they can't expect me to respond.

Likewise if a guy approaches a random girl in a night club, without an form of invitation (a smile, locked eyes etc), don't be expecting much. The girl isn't there for that for the entertainment of the strangers around her. If the guy doesn't like that simple solution - Don't approach random strangers in bars.
    Because thats more polite than be ignorant and saying nothing!! This is excatly my argument and annoyance.

Again, is it polite to approach random strangers in bars and attempt to talk to them? A lot of people would say no. Its rude. They aren't here to talk to you, nor do they want to talk to you (obviously). So if you aren't being polite in the first place, why exactly is the person you are talking to supposed to be polite back to you?
    No they dont have to look like muslims just not looking like out right sluts, because then they will be treated like that. All girls want is to be treated with respect, but if they dont dress like they respect themselves then they wont get respect.

Does that apply to guys as well?

If a guy dresses himself up so he looks very attractive to the opposite sex and gets lots of sex because of that, is he not respecting himself ... I must remember that when I'm next picking out a shirt to wear ... :rolleyes:

Hellm0 wrote: »
    A guy coming up to chat up a group of guys is not really a good example.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Last time I was wandering around Dublin blithely looking around at nothing in particular, I couldn't help noticing the amount of girls who would almost go out of their way to catch your eye just to give you a look like you'd been ogling them with your hand down your pants.

I think Irish women are notorious for that.

Another example is when you order something from a café/sandwich stand/spar and the girl behind the counter has an attitude like you're some lecherous bugger in a night club who's been hitting on her all night. Just give me the bloody coffee, I don't care if you smile but I can do without the attitude.

I wonder why any guy would find a girl attractive who has a built in relfex to tell guys to p*ss off. I sure as hell wouldnt tell any girl to piss off. If seem' womens heads swell when they get chatted up, this doesnt give u the right to degrade a guy and tell him to p*ss off.

I sincerely hope this isn't in reference to me. Did you read my post?
    Well that old man didn't give me a confidence boost I assure you.

I have had my shoulder licked as I walked through a pub, hands on my ass, DOWN MY TIGHTS, while in a queue, and then get abuse hurled at me for no reason when I go out sometimes because I'm dressed up. Guys saying things like "Oh you think you're God's gift" even when I'm just minding my own business.

Now you try getting treated like that and see how nice you are to the random stranger.

I'm not saying I'm rude to all men who chat me up but sometimes I have to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

Again, is it polite to approach random strangers in bars and attempt to talk to them? A lot of people would say no. Its rude. They aren't here to talk to you, nor do they want to talk to you (obviously). So if you aren't being polite in the first place, why exactly is the person you are talking to supposed to be polite back to you?

QUOTE]

You sound like a great laugh on a night out. Lol why bother going out at all if you don't want to talk to new people. Might aswell juststay in and be ignorant at home no? Alot cheaper that way.

I sincerely hope this isn't in reference to me.

I'd go out with you ... :p

I'm not saying I'm rude to all men who chat me up but sometimes I have to be.

Ok, i dont know how that must like, but i do understand, but u must be able to tell the difference between a guy who is p*ss drunk and out for a shag and a guy who is sober and want's to talk with you.

At the end of the day most ppl go to pubs nightclubs to meet ppl, couples dont really tend to go to nightclubs as often as single ppl, well at least most couples i know. So i understand how hard it is for the women to deal with this. But again i've gone out in portugal to nightclubs and seen women be much nicer to the guys where they just let them down easy.

Its not hard to be nice, it takes as much effort as it does to tell a guy to p*ss off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Who gave you any right to decide what anyone else should or shouldn't wear, or how they feel about themselves at any given time? Keep your eyes in your head and your hands to yourself son, and save the semi-religious victorian chip on the shoulder for Father Rafferty in confession.

hopalong85 wrote: »
    why bother going out at all if you don't want to talk to new people.

Is that a joke?

You might as well say "Why bother going to the cinema if you don't want to get to know the people sitting beside you"

Why?

Do I really need to explain this?

A group of hetrosexual men with no inclinations of turning homosexual being approached by a single homosexual male who proceeds to hit on them without reason was my interpretation of what the poster had said. Its a bad example as the hetrosexual male group is not exactly a good target for hitting on for this purpose. It's just weird. Guys hitting on girls is to be expected and is not something girl's should get up themselves about.

If however its a hetrosexual male just sparking up conversation/joining in the laugh thats a different matter and is something I myself have indulged in while waiting for friends to arrive.

I'd go out with you ... :p

Piss off!

You might as well say "Why bother going to the cinema if you don't want to get to know the people sitting beside you"

Is THAT a joke? Stay at home if you dont want to meet new people, its anything but rude to talk to folks you dont know on a night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

Is that a joke?

No,it's not like saying that at all actually. You go to the cinema to watch a movie. You go to the pub/club to socialise. Going out to socialise with your attitude just seems pretty pointless imo.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Well, in my experiences with Irish women, I've found most of them to be fairly ok and not as drastically vindictive as pointed out by the OP.

I think a lot of Irish men could do with relaxing a bit more when they try to chat with the ladies in a bar. A lot of Irish men seem to be unable to graciously accept being turned down by a woman or understand that there are women in Ireland that are socially inept and don't know how to react politely to advances guys in bars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

Is it that hard to let a guy down gently...

No, it's not.

Letting 10 guys down gently per night gets a bit old, though.
    Ishmael wrote: »
    I've found most of them to be fairly ok and not as drastically vindictive as pointed out by the OP.

Yeah, any time these threads come up, it usually turns out that there's blame on both sides tbh.

Who gave you any right to decide what anyone else should or shouldn't wear, or how they feel about themselves at any given time? Keep your eyes in your head and your hands to yourself son, and save the semi-religious victorian chip on the shoulder for Father Rafferty in confession.

wtf, emm, nobody, i hope u read my other posts, i never claimed as to what ppl should wear, my point was that you will be treated how u dress. i think you missed the point big time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

so if you see someone wearing a leather trenchcoat and looking pissed off will you alert the guards to the possibility of a school shooting?

lots of people wear lots of different **** at lots of different times for lots of different reasons.

good christ.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement