Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Women; Gods Gift to the Earth

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Hellm0 wrote: »
    A group of hetrosexual men with no inclinations of turning homosexual being approached by a single homosexual male who proceeds to hit on them without reason was my interpretation of what the poster had said. Its a bad example as the hetrosexual male group is not exactly a good target for hitting on for this purpose. It's just weird. Guys hitting on girls is to be expected and is not something girl's should get up themselves about.

Well you have kinda summed up the entire problem there with that reply (which I was hoping you would)

If a guy (heterosexual or homosexual) came up to a guy in a bar and started talking to him the guy would probably tell him to piss off. Why? Because the guy doesn't want either a drunk gay guy chatting him up, or a drunk straight stranger trying to be his mate. It is embarrassing and annoying and threatening. As you say it would be weird.

Yet for some bizarre reason you think women should just accept this? Why?

As I've said women are no more there for the guys to talk to as the straight guys are there for the homosexual guys to talk to.

People, in general, don't like random strangers talking to them. It is weird. The idea that girls should expect this because they are in a bar or nightclub is nonsense. Why should they expect this? Who wrote that rule?
    If however its a hetrosexual male just sparking up conversation/joining in the laugh thats a different matter

Only if the girls want you to join in the laugh. If they don't they are going to tell you to piss off, because who invited you to join in in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

never noticed much myself but every foreign girl i know seems to think most irish girls are wel,l lets just say not too nice. Also foreign girls always seem to think were ridiculously nice compared to the locals, im talking personality by the presumably obvious way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Phil01 wrote: »
    wtf, emm, nobody, i hope u read my other posts, i never claimed as to what ppl should wear, my point was that you will be treated how u dress. i think you missed the point big time.
    Your point being that girls who dress in what you feel is not a "demure" or "respectful" fashion deserve what they get, since you obviously set the standard for global self respect in fashion. So what if a girl wants to show a bit of leg or whatever? Doesn't mean shes a self hating monster of some sort who craves punishment by the social pillars haunting the country's clubs. Fer fucks sake, the primeval attitudes in this country just drive me nuts sometimes. I know plenty of countries where women wear hot pants more often than not, does that mean they are all whores?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

I usually dont respond to threads like this.

But i just want to say that all women are beautiful in their own way.

I hate the way you find threads by men comparing the physical characteristics of women from different countries and grade them.

I am very slim for my height i have been called skinny and do you know what it does not mean a thing only shallow people would think it mattered.

I pity men who think that way they will never really know what it is like to deeply love someone.

The one you love is the most beautiful to you.

I have found some of the comments here unreal "Foreign girls are prettier and skinnier , No Irish girls are skinnier and prettier, More Italian women have acne(that is such a ridiculous comment to make!)"etc.

I am skinny some men dont like me because i am skinny YOU do not get to decide what is beautiful and what is not!

I think the vast majority of women from all countries are kind and caring human beings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

Mordeth wrote: »
    so if you see someone wearing a leather trenchcoat and looking pissed off will you alert the guards to the possibility of a school shooting?

lots of people wear lots of different **** at lots of different times for lots of different reasons.

good christ.

No but I wouldnt chat them up in a bar. I think the point he's trying to make is that people judge you based upon your cloths quite a bit, I see tracksuits and cap's I think "scum", I see mini skirts/low cut tops/heap's of makeup/faketan I think "slag". Doesnt mean I molest them but you can see how some of the less socially adjusted might think that was an indication of a girl being open to it. Its not the way it should be but rather just the way it is.

• Advertisement

Your point being that girls who dress in what you feel is not a "demure" or "respectful" fashion deserve what they get, since you obviously set the standard for global self respect in fashion. So what if a girl wants to show a bit of leg or whatever? Doesn't mean shes a self hating monster of some sort who craves punishment by the social pillars haunting the country's clubs. Fer fucks sake, the primeval attitudes in this country just drive me nuts sometimes. I know plenty of countries where women wear hot pants more often than not, does that mean they are all whores?

Thats an awfully high horse your riding there. Awfully high.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

o.0

thinking women have the right to wear what they want and not be abused is being on a high horse?

don't get me wrong, I'll lech.. if I see a chick walking around in a short skirt and top, I'm going to stare and I don't give a crap what she thinks of it. But i'm not going to assume she's a slut, and assume I have some god given right to wander over and slobber on her in a nightclub.

Is THAT a joke? Stay at home if you dont want to meet new people, its anything but rude to talk to folks you dont know on a night out.

Not if they don't want to talk to you :rolleyes:

You seem to have this ridiculous idea that as soon as someone enters a pub or night club they suddenly must be friendly and chatty with what every stranger walks up to them and wants to talk to them.

Why?

We have already established that you don't think this applies if say a gay guy goes up to a group of straight men. Why does it apply to women? You think because you fancy them they should automatically fancy you?

You don't get that in any other area of life. If I go to the cinema I wouldn't be expected to fake being friendly with the person beside me if they started talking to me. I would tell them to piss off. Why do you think I want to talk to you. Go way!

If I was on the bus I wouldn't be expected to fake being friendly to a random stranger beside me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Phil01

Your point being that girls who dress in what you feel is not a "demure" or "respectful" fashion deserve what they get, since you obviously set the standard for global self respect in fashion. So what if a girl wants to show a bit of leg or whatever? Doesn't mean shes a self hating monster of some sort who craves punishment by the social pillars haunting the country's clubs. Fer ****s sake, the primeval attitudes in this country just drive me nuts sometimes. I know plenty of countries where women wear hot pants more often than not, does that mean they are all whores?

I dont care what they wear, but in all reality come on, if u see a girl in a bar with barely anything on, what are u thinking?? i bet every guy will think the same thing!! people's first impressions count.

I see mini skirts/low cut tops/heap's of makeup/faketan I think "slag"... Its not the way it should be but rather just the way it is.
    Maybe in your brain, thats the way it is. Hwarr shes looking for it, I can see her knees! I'll score no bother with this wan! Do you call women birds as well?
    Thats an awfully high horse your riding there. Awfully high.
    Well feel free to come and knock me off it with a flurry of your rapier wit, there. By all means.

• Advertisement

Wicknight wrote: »
    Well you have kinda summed up the entire problem there with that reply (which I was hoping you would)
    Hence why I asked if you ACUALLY need me to explain it. Next time just make your point so I can decimate you with my superior logic and dispense with the suspense.
    If a guy (heterosexual or homosexual) came up to a guy in a bar and started talking to him the guy would probably tell him to piss off.
    Any time I, a hetrosexual male, have started converseing with a randomer male of either persuasion I have yet to be told to piss off. Perhaps thats just as I havnt met you yet.

Yet for some bizarre reason you think women should just accept this? Why?
    How DARE anyone speak to me!! HOW DARE THEY!!!

As I've said women are no more there for the guys to talk to as the straight guys are there for the homosexual guys to talk to.

I think they are, I did after all meet my girlfriend in a bar by randomly opening a conversation with her.

People, in general, don't like random strangers talking to them. It is weird.
    Usually they do. And no, your weird, not the rest of us.
    Only if the girls want you to join in the laugh.
    I was refering to situations with men but what the hey. In any situation your going to get blown out unless you BRING THE LAUGHS.

I dont care what they wear, but in all reality come on, if u see a girl in a bar with barely anything on, what are u thinking?? i bet every guy will think the same thing!! people's first impressions count.
    So they deserve to be groped and hassled because some knuckledraggers think they are easy, is it? Because thats exactly what you are saying there.

I've had gay guys come up and talked to me and i politely explained i wasn't gay he said alright no problem, but we continued talking. Just because i wasn't interested in him doesn't give me a reason to be obnoxious towards him.

people's first impressions count.

Count for what?

You think the girl cares what you, a stranger, thinks about her? She doesn't even know you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Just to point out, women when they go out, like to dress up sometimes. I wouldn't go on a night out wearing a wooly jumper and jeans, I'd wear a skirt and probably a low cut top. Why would that seem slutty?

When a girl has nice legs etc. why shouldn't she show them off in a skirt? It's not slutty.

So they deserve to be groped and hassled because some knuckledraggers think they are easy, is it? Because thats exactly what you are saying there.

I never said they deserved to be grobbed or hassled, i'm just saying what do u think a drunk guy looking for a shag is going to do or be thinking when he see's her. I'm sure he's not after a stimulating conversation.
    Count for what?
    You think the girl cares what you, a stranger, thinks about her? She doesn't even know you.

I'm talking about how they dress, so when u see how someone is dressing, people will have a way of classing that person, when u look at someone the first thing u notice is how they are dressed. This is the first impression you will get from them. It doesnt matter to me what a girl cares i think of her, she can dress how she wants.

I've had gay guys come up and talked to me and i politely explained i wasn't gay he said alright no problem, but we continued talking.

How many times? Once? Twice? Ten times? 50 times? 100 times? 1000 times?

As I said with the beggars on the street, eventually you stop giving a sh*t if you offend the beggar or not, because after a while you are so sick to death of it happening all the time.

Imagine if every time you got on a bus someone beside you started talking to you. You might be polite the first time. You might be polite the second time. You might be polite the 20th time. But after a while you would be sick of it and you would think to yourself "Who the f**k are these people who think it is ok to just start randomly talking to me. What makes them think I want to talk to them. I don't want to talk to them. Leave me the f**k alone"

Not every girl is like this, just like everyone deals with beggars differently, but I can certainly understand girls who are at the end of their wits and just don't give a f**k about telling you to piss off because they are just so sick of not being able to enjoy a night out without random guys coming up to them.

You say this doesn't happen in Europe. That is probably because women over there don't have to deal with this crap all the time, so they are more interested the few times it happens.

Maybe in your brain, thats the way it is. Hwarr shes looking for it, I can see her knees! I'll score no bother with this wan! Do you call women birds as well?
    No I refer to the perfumed gender as "wimmins" or "girls".
    I dont think you quite got my meaning, which was "people judge books by their cover's"...Not all do but some do. Simple enough for you?
    Well feel free to come and knock me off it with a flurry of your rapier wit, there. By all means.
    I'd prefer to keep my feet on the ground really. Have fun up there though.

Usually they do. And no, your weird, not the rest of us.

Actually they don't, as about 150 years of psychological research demonstrates.

If you think everyone wants to talk to you I think the issue is with you TBH ...
    In any situation your going to get blown out unless you BRING THE LAUGHS.

Yeah I'm sure you are a riot :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭fits

I actively avoid a lot of clubs and bars in Dublin because of the 'normal' behaviour of the patrons... I'm talking about Coppers, Flannerys, Tramco and Leeson St.... I'm sure there are others.
    I cannot describe how annoying it is when seemingly every 'male' in the place thinks its his right to grope every passing girl.

• Advertisement

This is the first impression you will get from them. It doesnt matter to me what a girl cares i think of her, she can dress how she wants.

And ...

How is the woman effected by how you, a stranger, thinks about how she is dressed? What does it count for?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

I have seen this arguement brought up several times, in Irish radio and on forums.

Everytime it turns into well we don't talk to ye guys cause all ye want is sex or ye are just arse's who can't talk and smell funny.

Let me put the problem another way, its not about getting sex, it's simply a know fact amongst irish guys especially nice irish guys that its much harder to simply talk to an Irish girl then too a foreign girl.

Irish girls tend to put irish guys down a lot which is probably why a lot turn to drink to work up the courage to talk to another girl.

Why can't a guy approach an Irish girl in Ireland to strike up a causual conversation and try to make friends.....what is wrong with Irish guys trying to make friends with Irish girls. Foreign girls don't mind one bit, why do irish girls mind so much ?

Why do irish girls always think that he only wants one thing....and its true guys think about sex but just because they think about sex doesn't mean that don't want to be just friends and have the crack.

Now I'm not saying every Irish girl it like this cause I have met quite a few that are exactly the opposite and they are great friends to have around and are the best of fun. But many irish girls are like this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Here's an idea: Why doesn't everyone stop judging women on this site?

Irish women are fatter then foreign women
    Foreign women are fatter than Irish women
    Irish women are more slutty than foreign women
    Foreign women are more slutty than Irish women
    Irish women wear too much make up
    Irish women are too pale
    Irish women are too arrogant
    Irish women are too shy
    Irish women wear too much make-up
    Irish women don't make an effort when they go out

It's just part of this society's obsession with judging women, their appearance and their sexuality. Seriously doesn't anyone realise that generalisations are insulting and of no use?

Actually they don't, as about 150 years of psychological research demonstrates.
    What research is this then? Last I heard we have communication(and social interaction) to thank for our big brains.
    http://faculty.ed.uiuc.edu/g-cziko/wm/05.html
    If you think everyone wants to talk to you I think the issue is with you TBH ...
    I never said EVERYONE wants to talk to me. My point was more that the majority of people enjoy human interaction and dont shun/despise being communicated with in the same manner you seem to.
    Yeah I'm sure you are a riot :rolleyes:
    I'm having a ball thx;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

This thread makes rob laugh.:D

all the toys are now out of the pram!
    Anyone else got some useless generalisation we can all discuss and get upset about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

"Irish women wear too much make up
    Irish women are too pale
    Irish women are too shy
    Irish women don't make an effort when they go out"

Correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

SheroN wrote: »
    "Irish women wear too much make up
    Irish women are too pale
    Irish women are too shy
    Irish women don't make an effort when they go out"

Correct.

Dont forget irish women wear too much fake tan while also being too pale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭sosh

Excellent post in my opinion!!

I agree in some ways with your opening post, however i believe it is very wrong to generalise irish women into 1 big catagory.

What nighlife scene do you fall into?? Dublin? If so what bars do you tend to go to? or what area of Dublin!!

I never said they deserved to be grobbed or hassled

Yeah you did. Women who are sluts dress "disrespectfully", as is shown below. If you don't dress "respectfully", you are obviously a self hating beast and want to get hassled, since you have no self respect, obviously. :rolleyes: No good trying to backtrack at this stage of the game, baby.
    But perhaps they do that becuse of the way you dress. I think guys will threat you with respect if u dress respectfully, and not like a s**t.
    Hellm0 wrote:
    I dont think you quite got my meaning, which was "people judge books by their cover's"...Not all do but some do. Simple enough for you?
    Oh its extremely simple. I'd go so far as to say its entirely in the vegetative state, in fact. I'll try to go to that level though, if only to make the point that just because your horny sauced up brain sees a leg and thinks "WANT" doesn't mean shes a slut.
    Hellm0 wrote:
    I'd prefer to keep my feet on the ground really. Have fun up there though.
    Yup, no surprises here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Terrlock wrote: »
    Why can't a guy approach an Irish girl in Ireland to strike up a causual conversation and try to make friends.....what is wrong with Irish guys trying to make friends with Irish girls. Foreign girls don't mind one bit, why do irish girls mind so much ?

Why do irish girls always think that he only wants one thing....and its true guys think about sex but just because they think about sex doesn't mean that don't want to be just friends and have the crack.

Even the times when it has seemed like the guy chatting me up is nice and just wants company, it has always turned out that he wants sex. I have never been approached on a night out by a guy who wanted to be friends.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement